• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I want to see more games like Cadence of Hyrule

Lucyfer

Li'l Devil
Pronouns
She/They
I don't mean as in, tile based rhythm movement games.

I mean as in collaborations/crossovers between indie developers who have proven themselves capable and Nintendo.
We see lots of collabs between bigger companies and Nintendo like with Mario + Rabbids and Mario & Sonic, but rarely with indie devs.
Imagine a Metroid game made by Hollow Knight devs Team Cherry, a Fire Emblem roguelike by Hades devs Supergiant Games or perhaps the most obvious, a Zelda game by Shovel Knight devs Yacht Club Games.

I know these aren't very realistic, especially since a lot of devs are busy with their own projects, but would anyone have guessed Nintendo would've greenlit Cadence of Hyrule when they did? Just having some fun speculating here :)

Yeah I think Nintendo should do this with a lot of their IPs, with Mario Plus Rabbids being another prime example. Out of the big three, Nintendo is the only one with the IP catalog that could support themselves completely by lending out their IP to 3rd party devs alingside their existing 1st party output of they took the idea to the next level. It really brings into perspective how little the lack of western 3rd party multiplat support can affect Nintendo long term, if they make the right moves.

Having said all that, Cadence of Hyrule is absolutely amazing and everyone should play it. Even if you don't like Rythm games, you can turn that aspect off and not loose any of the challenge or experience. It just presents a different style of challenge that feels more like a strategy game set in the Zelda universe, since you are constantly anticipating and planning around enemy movements. I could go on and on about that, but that is another topic lol.

Advance Wars 1+2 was supposed to be another step in this direction... but alas.

Hopefully Nintendo keep working with other indie devs on spinoffs/abandoned IP. Quite frankly, it's shocking that Nintendo took as long as they did to work directly with Wayforward! Let them or Yacht Club Games work on a new AOL style 2D sidescrolling Zelda game!

Yacht Club Zelda 2 remake! That’s what I want.

Ha ha! Great minds think alike clearly!

Partner Directs seem like a great time to announce something like this.

And I agree OP. Give F-Zero to somebody. Anybody.
Make it a financial sim about trying to run a publisher that releases only expensive niche games.

Though if you want one to really cause salt, after doing AWRBC, what if Wayforward remade Golden Sun 1/2

I think a distinction should be made between two different types of collaborations: Team Cherry working on Metroid is not the same as a Zelda/Crypt of the NecroDancer mashup.

The latter type is in my opinion much more interesting and also, I believe, more desirable to both parties. It opens the door to experimentation which wouldn't be possible if the game in question was a main entry in the series, and it also benefits the indie developer in that it attracts a bigger audience to their other games.

In fact I'd be very curious to know if the developers of Crypt of the NecroDancer have any information about the number of people who bought it after playing Cadence of Hyrule.

Let Team Cherry develop a 2D hardcore spinoff in the Luigi's Mansion franchise, if you want to emulate the Cadence of Hyrule collaboration.

And give Metroid to Atlus. To be specific, reassemble the group behind the Trauma Center/Trauma Team games. *

*This is not a troll post, far from it in fact! I have a long document describing such a game, which I've shared on other forums.

I am with you there.

When we got Hyrule Warriors, Mario + Rabbids, and Cadence of Hyrule, I thought we could be entering an era where Nintendo partnered with both big and small studios they trusted to create unexpected spin-off with their IPs.

But while Hyrule Warriors inspired other Musou entries with Nintendo's franchises and Mario + Rabbids is getting a sequel, the whole indie partnership idea got left behind, which is disappointing.

I'd take whatever kind of game that combination could produce, from Team Cherry doing Metroid to Yacht Club Games making a Waluigi-themed Shovel Knight.

It was such a delight when Cadence of Hyrule was announced precisely because of how Nintendo is open to the idea of a smaller studio working on their property in a new way. I do wonder if this would be effective for something less well-known like Balloon Fight or Clu Clu Land, but I am willing to see their take on something less well-known. On the other hand, using the more famous properties allow the developer to do something different like turning Legend of Zelda into a rhythm game, so I am open for something new, like say, a Waluigi-themed game.

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom