• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro I can't believe this. 2P mode cheat discovered for Super Punch Out.

balgajo

Koopa
And I have a very personal experience about this.

I spent part of my life sure that once I was able to play this 2P mode randomly(around 95~96) when I was 6 ~ 7 years old. My father was playing with P1 and I was P2, randomly tapping buttons. Searched online for it when internet popularized here in Brazil(some years later) and never found anything about.

And I'm 99% sure that I saw this selection menu and characters continued in the same perspective as 1p mode. Always believed that my mind was playing tricks on me. What a crazy discovery.....Man gotta trust more in my inner kid...what a crazy day

I could never replicate it again.

I don't even know it this cheat works in OG version and maybe I making up things again but that's a really crazy sensation.

EDIT9999: Sorry for mixing this news with a personal story.

Last edited:
Wow! What a find! This could/should have been an advertised mode of the game, especially with how popular fighters were at the time. Btw, to make this clearer:

• At title screen- Press Y+R on controller 2, then start on controller 1
  • Select fighter
  • At Win/Loss screen, press Y+B on controller 2, then start on controller 1

Now I'm the crazy person that messaged my father and friends about this.....XD

Tried here on my SNES mini. After the first step even mashing button y+b works. As the only required command from P1 is start it really make plausible this occurring randomly with someone like me.

MODS feel free to change the title if you want. Got a bit anxious and didn't phrase it the best way...XD

It was never published in Nintendo Power so that seems likely.
Yeah, I feel like when it dropped on NSO or even a while later they would have had a tweet being “here’s this cool thing very few know about!” Would have gotten people talking for sure.

Probably a debug mode of sorts that was left in the game by accident and never intended for the player to find and actually use.

Still an incredible find!

there's another addition to this cheat.

gotta say it's been quite gratifying seeing the owner of this account getting the attention he deserves, i've been following them for a few years. and he's discovered a lot of interesting stuff by disassembling more obscure titles.
the only other thing that's gotten anywhere close to this level of coverage was the odd polygon test screen in mcdonalds treasure land adventure.

Back
Top Bottom