• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Humble Choice is now requiring a separate client to access the formerly DRM-free bonus games, and is removing Mac/Linux support along with it.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
Buried in their FAQ for the recent changes to the service.
Note: The Humble app is only available for Windows PC.
only users with an active Humble Choice membership will be able to download games from the Humble Games Collection (HGC). Users without an active membership (users who have skipped or canceled their Choice membership) will lose access to the HGC. Those users who have canceled their membership will retain access to the HGC until the end of that billing cycle.

Inactive members will not be able to launch HGC games.
Much like Steam, not every game requires the client running to play. But they rather clearly differentiate this in the FAQ, explaining that only the "vault" titles (Which were smaller-scale games made specifically for Choice.) function this way.
The Vault: The Vault will include over 50 Humble Original Games. Once downloaded, these games can be kept forever regardless of Choice Membership status.
Inactive members will be able to play those Vault games that they have already downloaded.

The e-mail sent to choice subscribers is far more definitive. Mentioning the client requirement alongside the complete removal of Mac & Linux support.
FI_9iKZXsA0iveH.jpg:orig

This marks the most damning moment in Humble's downfall from focusing on curating collections of fully cross-platform and fully DRM-free games, to effectively being just another Steam key seller. The original team that started it once described DRM as "not just bad from a freedom point of view -- it is simply bad business", and reminded people that not supporting Mac and Linux "leaves a lot of cash on the table.".

But said studio, Wolfire Games. Split it into it's own company after the second bundle began. Eventually leading into the beginning of the end.
humblethqfin.jpg

It all started here, The THQ bundle marked the first time the included games were only accessible through Steam keys. It made a bit more sense when you consider THQ's financial state at the time (they filed for bankruptcy exactly a week after it ended.) rendered them unable to provide the standard DRM-free and cross-platform options. But it opened the floodgates for any big publisher to hop on the train.
(thankfully, a few of the companies that picked up the pieces from the bankruptcy continue did some basic work in providing a few of the games in cross-platform or DRM-free form. Though obviously adding it to the original bundle was out of the question, and getting both options is still extremely rare.)

Humble was eventually acquired by IGN, one of the largest gaming websites in the world, in 2015.
and the original founders, the sole remnant of the days it was just the side project of a small indie studio, left in 2019.

The excuse of "It's still going to charity!" has been completely kneecapped by a percentage cap that requires some of the money to go into Humble's pockets. Removing another advantage of buying from them.

One other important thing to bring up, which doesn't just apply to Humble. Is a question that's going to become incredibly frequent in the coming months.

Why not just use Proton or WINE?

While the Humble app most likely will work this way, they're still fundamentally killing off native support by doing this. A situation which isn't helped by Valve themselves lightly discouraging devs from making native ports and just letting Proton do the work, creating a knock-on effect of devs just giving up completely.

tTP3uul.png

The creation of native Linux ports has led to numerous improvements towards game development in general. Such as the creation of FNA, a library that reimplements Microsoft's discontinued "XNA" framework in a fully cross-platform format. Allowing titles originally created using it to be preserved for years to come.

Another great example of libraries getting fixed up for better cross-platform support is Wwise, Limbo rather infamously launched on "Linux" in the form of a WINE wrapper. Which was eventually repaired in 2014 thanks to Ryan Gordon manually porting that library to Linux.

In general, i feel like defaulting to Proton over a native port should only be used as a last resort (E.G. The Source Code is missing, it's built too heavily on Windows exclusive libraries.) rather than the end-all solution that Valve wants it to be for the Steam Deck. Especially considering that pretty much all of the modern game engines out there have an option to compile to Mac/Linux.

Humble Bundle will always have a place in history as one of the most important platforms for spreading the acceptance of indie titles but it's a shame how it has changed over the years. I remember the early days of Humble Bundle when get a whole bunch of indie games for a low price was something special. Each new bundle was something special. I played Cave Story for the first time because of Humble Bundle. But once the store opened up and more AAA publishers started getting in on the action, it was inevitable it would go this direction. It was only a matter of long it would actually take.

I haven't gotten anything from Humble Bundle for years. I don't even visit the site to check for deals. I have gotten so many games from bundles over there, felt good to get games for cheap and having the money go to a good cause. I think I still have keys I need to redeem, but now I'll probably never buy anything from them again.

Humble stopped being that years ago. Now they're just digging deeper, guessing trying to squeeze whatever the can before they go belly up.

Thanks Ziff Davis, another cornerstone property being driven to the ground.

I used to be a big HB fan, but over the years as they drifted away from DRM-free / indies / charities in favor of just straight-up Steam keys (instead of those being a perk to go with your DRM-free copy) I lost interest. Having a glut of games from previous bundles also killed my interest in paying attention to bundles.

These days I think Itch has overtaken them in my mind for where to get indies. I think they're in a very precarious position right now and the minute Steam launches a GamePass equivalent they're probably done.

I've been going back and forth with the Humble Choice Classic.

Never played the Free Titles but having another launcher I can't imagine is going to work well. Even if it's only for games in the vault. Can't imagine the playerbase who's subbed is even playing the games there all that much, let alone considering it as part of the value for a sub.

These days I think Itch has overtaken them in my mind for where to get indies. I think they're in a very precarious position right now and the minute Steam launches a GamePass equivalent they're probably done.
This is actually how I found some games in the VN genre. Itch helped me find a bunch of other things too.

the Humble client is getting discontinued, ending the perk entirely.

oof.

once again, not every game required the client to run. so making sure to back them up before the shutdown will mean you should still be able to play them in the future.

Back
Top Bottom