• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Howard Lincoln was terrible (or, Why Nintendo's golden years weren't so golden)

Terrell

The Great Equalizer
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
So... I said something that touched a nerve in another thread that I was requested to follow up on. I wish I hadn't, this went into WAY more detail than I intended. But it's a thing now, so... here we go.

Howard Lincoln, former Senior VP (1983-1994) and Chairman of Nintendo of America (1994-2000), is idolized by a great many Nintendo fans as the man at the helm of Nintendo's North American operations during its golden beginnings and considered responsible for the company's many achievements in this era, most notably the partnership with Rare.

He was also a gigantic insufferable arrogant prick who all but made sure everything he built would collapse without him.

This may come as a shocking stance for some of you, but it shouldn't. And this is not meant to diminish how great it was for gamers during these years. But behind the scenes, there was a lot going on and so little of it ended up good. Between excerpts of Game Over, various journalistic pieces and general public knowledge, one gets a picture of a Nintendo of America that was built entirely around one man, a man whose record for leaving things he manages worse in the end is 2-0. Just ask the Seattle Mariners.
So much of the negativity for what happened at NoA is heaped on the beginning of Satoru Iwata's years on the job at Nintendo as head of corporate planning and president, but further assessment shows that much of that blame was unwarranted.

So let's dig in and start with the facts, shall we?

Howard Lincoln was considered untouchable

From the beginning, Lincoln was thought to be a godsend. After winning the court case for Nintendo against Universal Studios over Donkey Kong and preserving Nintendo's future arcade prospects, along with Hiroshi Yamauchi finding common ground with him in terms of business mindsets, Yamauchi trusted Lincoln with North American operations completely. Lincoln's only oversight during his time at NoA was Minoru Arakawa, the man who founded NoA (against his wife's wishes, I might add) due to being a member of the Yamauchi family by marriage who was already settled in on the continent. But Arakawa wasn't running the show and everyone with sense knew it; he was the rubber stamp and a way to keep the business in the family across an ocean. Yamauchi liked Lincoln and, by the 90s, he had been given carte blanche with no one to question him, since he had Yamauchi's ear, and... well, one did not cross Hiroshi Yamauchi.
Some of you might ask "well, how is that a bad thing? Clearly things worked out well." Yeah, well, entrusting things to a single person in the gaming industry rarely works out well.... hell, management having no real oversight in ANY industry tends to be a disaster long-term. Sony fans understand this better than most, with the grossly over-designed, over-hyped and under-performing PS3 (and let's not forget the Banana Shock 3) under Ken Kutaragi, the man that Sony thought could do no wrong. Giving someone carte blanche works.... until it abruptly doesn't.

Howard Lincoln seemingly delighted in making enemies in business

Game Over is such a foundational work of journalism regarding Nintendo's early years. But while it paints everything with a slant towards mentioning Lincoln's activities as positives (as did Emily Rogers' article about Howard Lincoln's time at NoA), I'm here to tell you it's never a good thing to ignore consequences of actions.
Almost from the outset of their success with the NES launch, Nintendo of America loved to strong-arm retailers as much as possible, pumped up royalty fees for 3rd-parties into the stratosphere and undercut their rivals in the most brutal fashion imaginable. The Tengen and Tetris story is an unflinching display of that, with Lincoln openly calling actions Nintendo made against Tengen as "revenge". You couldn't get away with that today.
It is here that Lincoln and Yamauchi had something in common, an unapologetic cutthroat style of business that served them well. But cutthroat business strategies only serve you well when you're riding high; it displays a feeling of infallibility and utter hubris, and Lincoln delighted in it, going as far as to taunt his rival, Sega's Tom Kalinske, openly in the news after the infamous 1993 congressional hearing (which I'll come back to in the next section, don't you worry).
And what's that modern phrase again? .... OH YEAH, "talk shit, get hit". The moment that retailers, 3rd-parties and competitors saw weakness in Nintendo, they punished them for it as hard as they could, unabashedly so. It's taken decades to mend some of those open wounds, when the simpler (and in hindsight, infinitely better) solution would have been not being out for blood in the first place. So if you ever wanted to really know why 3rd-parties and retailers had so much acrimony with Nintendo for so long? Look no further than Lincoln in the West and Yamauchi in Japan (who also engaged in similar tactics, much to their detriment in Japan when 1996 rolled around... make no mistake, I have little love for Yamauchi, either, albeit for differing reasons). The games industry might have been growing, but the world of middle and upper management in the industry was quite small, and no one truly forgets a slight.

Howard Lincoln is entirely responsible for the much-maligned "kiddie" discourse

I know that some of you saw this one coming, but it bears repeating and digging in deep on it.
You might think that soft and cute mascot characters coming out of NCL were responsible for this. They weren't... or at least not really. It was Howard Lincoln, the man responsible for Nintendo's austere, sententious and downright bizarre censorship requirements during the NES and early SNES years, which was sadly carried over to Europe, as it was unfortunately subservient to NoA during much of the early 90s after it was founded. NCL (quite obviously) had no interest in such heavy levels of censorship and made no directive to Lincoln to establish it, but with North America as a growth market, it meant that certain titles were destined for other platforms like the Mega Drive/Genesis, PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 or both, but not the SNES.
You want to know why we never got Fire Emblem or the Wars series until the 2000s? Lincoln and his team thought the genre too difficult for American players and (for FE specifically) would involve FAR too much re-writing of the massive amounts of text to fit NoA's content guidelines (which Masahiro Higuchi diplomatically refers to as wrangling with the series' "complexity of setting"). It's not an accident that these franchises came over to North America only (and almost immediately) after he stepped down, when the Treehouse staff basically begged Intelligent Systems to help plan a release of AW first and FE to follow.
Despite him being a massive prick, Lincoln loved to portray Nintendo as a saintly purveyor of wholesome entertainment, to the point of being downright self-righteous about it. Which leads us back to 1993, where the problem came to a head thanks to Mortal Kombat.
In front of Joseph Lieberman and a congressional committee convened on violence in video games (primarily MK, Night Trap and Lethal Enforcers), Lincoln etched something in stone when he threw Sega under the bus as solely responsible for the issue du jour in the industry at the time, by painting Nintendo as family-friendly entertainers who were above such filth. There were even rumours that Lincoln himself instigated the hearings by showing a pre-release version of the gore-code-enabled Genesis port of MK to members of Congress and reporters. Here is a terrible quote from his testimony:
I can’t sit here and allow you to be told that the industry has been transformed today from children to adults. It hasn’t been. And Mr. White, who is a former Nintendo employee, knows the demographics as well as I do. Furthermore, I can't let you sit here and buy this nonsense that this Sega Night Trap game was somehow only meant for adults. Fact of the matter is, this is a copy of the packaging. There was no rating on this game at all when the game was introduced. Small children bought this at Toys R Us and he knows that as well as I do. When they [Sega] started getting heat about this game, then they [Sega] adopted the rating system and put ratings on it. But today, just as I’m sitting here, you can go into a Toys R Us store or a Walmart or a Kmart, and you know as well as I do, you can buy this product and no one - certainly no sales clerk at retail - is going to challenge you.
So not just Sega, he threw his retail partners under the bus, as well, which loops right back to the previous point I made. (He also infamously said that Night Trap would never appear on Nintendo hardware. OOPS.) The hearing's attendees ultimately came down HARD on Sega, releasing in a statement that "Sega’s games were unfit for American youth."
But in these moments, he created enough retailer animosity to have them chomping at the bit to push Nintendo out of its dominant retail space at the first opportunity and (more importantly) gave Sega, Sony and Microsoft enough marketing material for the next decade or so to come (which came with a slight air of legitimacy as a result of Lincoln's testimony and censorious behaviour). When you pair his words with the games Nintendo developed in Japan, it was a mindset that stuck with many gamers, one that stuck so much that it inevitably filtered across the ocean to 3rd-parties in Japan who wanted to sell their games in the US to a consumer base that was aging into wanting more "mature" content. The "purple lunchbox" just sealed the deal. Nintendo consumers were deemed "family-friendly" consumers more often than not and content was sorted by platform accordingly. And it all traces back to a man who clearly does not understand long-term consequences of his words and actions.
But funny enough, even in the short term, this plan of Lincoln's backfired spectacularly. Here is Lincoln's own words in Game Over talking about the fallout shortly after his congressional testimony:
Instead of getting a lot of letters back from parents praising our position, we got a huge amount of criticism -- not only by gamers, but even by parents saying that we had set ourselves up to be censors.
Mortal Kombat II released on SNES in 1994 with a pre-ESRB rating label affixed to it to keep the gore intact and Lincoln hid behind the ESRB for the remainder of his time at NoA while he tried to bolster mature content on Nintendo platforms, but the damage was already irreversibly done to Nintendo's brand image among far too many gamers. The "kiddie" image was seemingly what he wanted, and wowzers, did he deliver. Let's all give the man a one-finger salute, shall we?
From an LGBTQ perspective at the very least, allowing things to come to the creation of the downright puritanical and arbitrary ESRB, which is known to pump up age ratings for games with LGBTQ characters and themes, is a legacy not worth having. We could have had the Videogame Rating Council instead, which was a panel of psychologists/sociologists instead of average consumers who would, at least in the modern era, be far more relaxed about LGBTQ content, but Nintendo and Sega both screwed that up in their own way, and now we have something worse in its place. Lincoln's part to play in that is not something I am willing to forgive.

From this point on, with the indisputable facts established, much of what comes next is founded in facts but contains what I see as logical conjecture from those facts when keeping in mind his well-publicized history as a short-sighted, braggadocious and cutthroat bastard who, thanks to having Yamauchi's ear, quite literally couldn't be stopped and, thanks to it being boom times for Nintendo, no one would dare try to. Now then, let's continue on...

Howard Lincoln is partly (if not mostly) to blame for losing Rare

Yeah, it's time that we discuss Nintendo's history of 2nd-party developers. And we will start with Rare, since so much has been written about it. I won't cover ALL of it in this paragraph, but some key info.
With the faint beginnings of an already-established but minimal relationship with Nintendo during the NES years, Lincoln visits Rare and sees they had used the money it earned in that era to invest in Silicon Graphics workstations, to create 3D models as 2D sprites. So impressed was he that he showed demos of their technology to NCL to get approval to proceed with a development partnership and ended up getting the approval to pick an IP from Nintendo's catalog to put the impressive technology into practice at retail. They picked Donkey Kong (which allegedly annoyed Miyamoto in the beginning until he saw the game in action), and the rest was history, beginning a "2nd-party" developer arrangement, starting with a 25% stake in Rare that increased to 49% over a very short time.
I will not be re-litigating the perceived lost value (or lack thereof) in the sale of Rare to Microsoft here, as that is not important, but the sale did endlessly beg the question among gamers: why did Nintendo not propose a majority acquisition before it was sold to Microsoft? In truth, however, it was always a possibility considered from the outset. The moment that the 49% minority stake was purchased in Rare, according to Ed Fries at Microsoft who brokered their Rare acquisition in 2002, the minority stake included a contract option where Nintendo was given the option for a full buyout by a specified date or to allow Rare to look for buyers of Nintendo's stake after the date, which tells me that the Stampers were willing to sell Rare to Nintendo as far back as 1995, during Lincoln's tenure. That option deadline had ended with no purchase, which had been temporarily extended by one year when the Stampers started fielding offers. At any time between the mid-90s to 2001, considering Rare moved over 20 million software units (an average of 5 million per game) on the SNES alone, Nintendo could have made the purchase and the fact is that Lincoln had wasted time not pushing to buy them up during their hot streak. Coincidentally, the timing of when the original unextended purchase option ended and when Lincoln retired is amazingly tight, and I'll be revisiting that later in another part of this.
There are a lot of reasons discussed for why Nintendo didn't buy Rare in the end, but there are 2 strong theories for why.
First was the fact that the Stampers' management style wasn't to all their employees' tastes, with 6 employees walking out in April 1997 to form the Sony-funded studio Eighth Wonder (which never produced anything of note and folded in 1999 due to "internal problems"). You also started seeing more defections and more new studios (like Zoonami and Free Radical). One could reasonably expect that Nintendo had concerns over this employee churn, especially in the design departments. This would partly explain why Yamauchi gave them a lowball offer some time between 1999 and 2001, along with him thinking they'd be nothing without them (which is a half-truth at best, since much of the blame for their lacklustre output since has been on Microsoft themselves).
But second, and one of the most likely reasons, especially when the Stampers were pretty keen to sell and (in hindsight to us, anyways) walk away, is that a studio wholly owned by Nintendo becomes wholly controlled by NCL, which cuts Lincoln mostly out of the picture. And as I'll now explain...

Howard Lincoln was a control freak

With Donkey Kong Country becoming one of the Top 3 best-sellers on SNES seemingly overnight, Lincoln was given more freedom to expand Nintendo's reach in the West. But Lincoln dragging his feet securing Rare is one instance of what looks like a pattern of behaviour, because securing studios for NoA is not the same thing as securing studios for the head office in Kyoto. You put down a minority stake (mostly with North American revenue so as not to repatriate that income to Japan), get a little bit of say in output and control seemingly remained primarily at NoA, under Lincoln's purview, who was there to act as a go-between and advocate to NCL.
The difference when he was involved was so stark when you compare positive relationships like Rare against what happened with DMA Design and Angel Studios (now both part of Rockstar, funny how things work out), both of which were 3rd-parties that had a relationship Lincoln seemed mostly uninvolved in beyond perhaps some introductions, and struggled to overcome both differences in design principles and communication breakdowns with NCL without Lincoln or his team present to act as a go-between that eventually caused both relationships to sever very prematurely (I think it was challenges like this that Iwata tried to get the company to overcome during his time as president). So, in a brief moment of praise, I have to give credit to Lincoln where it's due, he seemed to understand the Nintendo of the 80s and 90s wasn't ready to directly interact with North American and European developers in a wide or full capacity without similar complications arising. I'm happy to see Nintendo moving past all that.
But at the same time, this just allowed Lincoln to make him and his team indispensable, which means NCL was utterly reliant on them. This is unfortunately a common tactic among upper middle management types (lawyers like Lincoln know this tactic better than others, slavishly guarding their client lists to keep them at their firms), to make themselves so entrenched as to be impossible to remove, rather than ensuring all parts of the organization they work for are capable of functioning in an ideal capacity in their absence. The only reason much of Nintendo's Western development partnerships never went beyond "2nd-party" and why no attempt was being made to improve direct developer relationships with NCL that makes any sense is this: Howard Lincoln liked being in control.
So with some extra slack on his already-limp leash, and by virtue of his long industry presence, he leveraged his (probably few) industry friendships and threw a bit of Nintendo's money around, making "2nd-party" studios the way a dog marks his territory: wherever he could. In the mid-90s, he secured a console exclusive action-adventure title with LucasArts in Shadows of the Empire and helped assemble the cruel joke that was the "Dream Team", which... yeah, was mostly a mess that disintegrated almost instantaneously outside of star player Rare and a substantial relationship with Midway and Acclaim (and I'm gonna circle back to that really soon).
The tail end of the 90s in particular was a prodigious couple of years for Lincoln, getting a 5-year deal with LucasArts, establishing minority stakes in Left Field Productions, founding NST as a direct partnership with DigiPen via his friend Claude Comair, and likely around the time that Nintendo's relationship with Silicon Knights first began (whether the 2nd-party relationship was in motion before Lincoln left NoA is impossible to say, but it was close timing). But there's one stand-out, because it's threaded through all of this and it highlights how...

Howard Lincoln traded industry favours and played favourites (or, how Retro Studios was born)

That's right, I'm coming for everything considered a success under Lincoln, and it's Retro's turn.
One partnership that went really well from the "Dream Team" was that with Acclaim, particularly with Iguana Entertainment and its founder Jeff Spangenburg, who created Turok: Dinosaur Hunter for the N64. NoA was making a lot of hay about this game, likely because it wanted to prime the pump right from launch with information on an M-rated title (Lincoln trying desperately to undo the own-goal he did on Nintendo) and create interest from FPS fans in the N64 for the Goldeneye to come. Lincoln gave Acclaim and Spangenburg all the help NoA could give them (and no small amount of pressure) to get the game out the door, but its purpose was fulfilled and console-only gamers were suddenly knee-deep in a genre they knew little about but wanted to play (being one of a tiny handful of games from the genre released for consoles). It and its sequels were all that kept Acclaim afloat until 2004.
So when Spangenburg was let go from Acclaim in 1998 and suing them for breach of contract, he needed a job. So he founded a game studio out of his home, and then out came the Rolodex to get Howard Lincoln on the phone; he was seemingly Spangenburg's first call. Lincoln considered Spangenburg to do good work and helped to initially fund the studio, creating another "2nd-party" to add to his collection. But one honestly gets an impression that Spangenburg was calling in a favour.
This is entirely conjecture, but one gets the impression that much of what Lincoln was able to achieve was on the back of his success with finding talent with Rare and a network of people he collected and owed favours to, which when combined with Lincoln's checkered history of making industry friends, explains a lot of what would be considered odd partnerships due to nothing visible precipitating them. But when you consider everything about Retro's history from that point on, and some of the deals he was able to achieve in spite of an industry trying to push Nintendo out of it from every angle (like getting EA Sports on N64, of all things), nothing else really makes sense except exchanging favours. This is not an unknown phenomenon in the industry; Iwata's NCL basically made sure Nd Cube was emptied out and bought out its other partner there so former Hudson Soft employees (including a former Hudson president) had a job in Hokkaido to fall back on when Konami started gutting them like a fish (though who owed who the favour in that scenario? I couldn't say).
Spangenburg and Lincoln were kindred spirits, in that they both delighted in petty revenge:
“[Spangenburg] took great pleasure in poaching people from Acclaim,” the artist says. “I heard at one time for every person he poached from Acclaim, he sent the HR person a Barbie doll, because she was a Barbie fan and she collected the special Barbies.”
But in 1999, trouble was setting in. Nintendo had nearly a 25% stake in Retro by this time, producing 4 game projects and literally nothing to show for it. They were thinking it was time to go kick over some rocks to see what was going on at NoA. And this comes to nearly the conclusion of this long historical re-telling...

Howard Lincoln built a house of cards and was out the door before it fell

This is admittedly a long read, so let's recap Lincoln's "accomplishments", shall we?
  • Rare could have been bought at any time during its life as a 2nd-party according to their contract, but Lincoln wanted to maintain control, so either he:
    • never pushed for a purchase so control would stay primarily with him instead of NCL, never expecting discontent at Rare, or
    • waited until the last minute when they were already losing design staff and the Stampers had over-valued their company beyond what Nintendo would pay
  • The rest of the "Dream Team" turned to ashes with less and less to replace it
  • The North American video game industry had expanded and before the 6th generation had even began:
    • Lincoln's burned bridges with publishers meant little to no Western game production, as developers were getting wooed by a hardware maker that wasn't based in Japan (for once)
    • Lincoln's burned bridges with retailers, combined with Sony's now dominant position, meant Nintendo was getting edged out of retail space
  • Retro was causing media buzz but had no product almost 2 years in
  • Silicon Knights was struggling to meet milestones on its first project, Eternal Darkness
  • Factor 5 was making middleware tools for GameCube and on target to continue producing Star Wars content with LucasArts
  • NST still hadn't produced a single game
These were all costly investments that were either crumbling, already gone or not making a return on investment. NCL was very likely concerned.

So in February of 2000, Lincoln stepped down as NoA Chairman, going on to dedicate his time to Yamauchi's pet project that was the Seattle Mariners, which he was already a part of as of 1999.
What motivated his departure is something that can only be speculated at. He could have been pushed out for his cumulative mis-steps and long-term damage to the Nintendo brand in North America and Europe, but that seems unlikely, since the worst was yet to come. He could have decided he didn't have the same kind of fight in him to keep going at the job and bowed out for that reason.
But the most likely reason, given everything I've typed thus far, is that he had an inside track into Yamauchi's retirement plans and that he was about to groom a successor, and since everything he had done up to that point was catching up with him, his crown jewel in Rare was about to disappear and he knew he was about to face scrutiny he'd never had to contend with in his career thus far, he decided to cut and run.

Almost immediately after he did, the house of cards he built fell down.

The Aftermath of Howard Lincoln (Conclusion)

Oh thank goodness, I'm almost done.
With Lincoln gone, all that was left was his team: the likes of Peter Main, Ken Lobb, etc. and Arakawa, his rubber stamp. It was quite obvious, at this point, that they weren't capable of holding things together.
Shortly after Lincoln's departure, the rocks got turned over. NCL went to inspect what was happening at Retro and were completely appalled by most of it. It's not that they didn't have talent (I think they would have instead cut their losses and abandoned Retro if they didn't), it's that so much of it was mismanaged and no one at NoA decided to tell them how badly that was the case, which confirms that NoA was steering the ship with their "2nd-party" teams completely, just how Lincoln liked it:
For most of its early history, Retro Studios got direction from Nintendo of America — which was an issue, according to one anonymous employee, because “they have nothing to do with how the games are made. It’s all in Japan. … We weren’t interfacing with Nintendo of Japan at all. We never talked to Miyamoto. We never talked to Mr. Iwata. We never talked to anybody over there.”

In 2000, when the Eastern leg of the company decided to check in on its investment, everything hit the fan.

“So basically what happened on their first visit — it was a bloodbath,” the employee recalls. “[They] hated everything that we were doing. We weren’t developing games in their philosophy. It was a huge cold splash of water in the face.”
And it seemed that either Lincoln had totally lost control of Spangenburg or Spangenburg was sweating the impending scrutiny from NCL without Lincoln being present:
One person noticeably absent from this time in Retro’s history was Spangenberg himself. Former employees recall not seeing the founder for months, unsure of what he was doing. “He did do a really good job of bringing on a lot of really good people at the beginning of Retro, then he kind of disappeared from our lives,” says Mathews, who later co-owned Armature, the studio behind the 2016 game ReCore.

As each project’s status worsened, so did Spangenberg’s truancy. “After having run Armature for a number of years, looking back at it, I could see that he was super stressed and super freaked out about Nintendo,” Mathews says. “I think he got stressed, checked out. [He] saw everything slipping away and sort of retreated, rather than coming back.”
Eventually, with Spangenburg barely there to lead the teams while enjoying a lifestyle of partying with strippers (and hosting a website full of pictures of these parties at Retro's IP address) and unsubstantiated rumours that unnamed employees had embezzled from Retro to the tune of hundreds of thousands and fled the country, Nintendo came to the realization that Spangenburg himself was ultimately the problem at Retro and cut him loose 2 years later in 2002 just before the release of Metroid Prime, buying the remaining 75% of the studio for the meagre price of $1 million. Spangenburg's replacement didn't fare much better, being a crunch-demanding tyrant, finally righting the ship with the appointment of Michael Kelbaugh in 2003, who has been the head of Retro ever since.

So Rare was asking for an obscene amount of money with a lot of company turnover and Retro Studios had to be cobbled back together from the flaming wreckage it was under Lincoln. As head of corporate planning, Iwata was likely disgusted with what he saw at NoA when he got to step in to survey the situation and how no one who remained could hold any of it together. By the time Iwata was president, there was little sign of Lincoln's legacy left.
Silicon Knights (and Denis Dyack in particular) ended up being more trouble than they were worth and got cut loose shortly after Twin Snakes. That was for the best, given Dyack's prima donna tantrums, SK's lawsuit or the head writer's child pornography arrest (yeah, things got WEIRD there). Between Spangenburg and Dyack, ol' Howard sure knew how to pick 'em, huh?
The 5-year contract with LucasArts was not extended primarily due to a change in management at LucasArts that practically threw Factor 5 away (which Nintendo let happen, for what are now obvious reasons), who then went on to sink their company with Sony exclusive Lair.
NST made a few games but investment in them was seemingly scaled back, with some employees transferred to Retro.
Left Field wanted out, with rumours stirring that they were unhappy since Lincoln's retirement, and they got what they wanted.
Peter Main left NoA in 2001 and Arakawa left in 2002, getting what I'm sure was a nice golden parachute, to prevent a firing for being the last one standing who could be blamed for the state of things. By 2003, Nintendo of America was a clean slate and only had Retro to show for it all.
Iwata was left to pick up the pieces, to rebuild retailer relationships and build new software partnerships. But there was one clearly specific goal: no one at NoA was going to operate without oversight ever again. He made sure of that by naming himself CEO of NoA and hired people who would defer to NCL. And it was a very rough process, but look at where they are now.
Much speculation was made and a lot of blame was dropped on Iwata that Nintendo wanted to allegedly refocus on internal development and their 3rd-party relationships and new developer partnerships withered as a result. The fact is that they were building relationships, but they wanted those relationships to be sturdy for a change, which took time. It started in Japan (of which there was a lot of Yamauchi's mess to clean up there, but that's a story for another day) and slowly radiated out. Next Level is the most recent success story originating from this time. The MercurySteam partnership is a continuation of that, which early accounts suggest is working out well for them. Nintendo honestly seems stronger than ever in every region, and while there's still work to be done, there's no denying that NCL put in the work themselves instead of trusting some lawyer who won them a court case to do it for them sight unseen.

I'm sure there's plenty of grammar mistakes and typos to be had, but this took 3 days to write, sorry in advance. But I hope that you can look at all this and appreciate that, even if the games were good, it's important to consider the legacy of the corporate side of NoA for indications of why things have been such an uphill climb for Nintendo for so long on multiple fronts.
Plus, I needed something myself and others could point to in case someone foolishly romanticizes the Lincoln era of NoA ever again, so now at least I'll never have to type any of this ever again. Hope you found this enlightening.

EDIT: cleaned up some salty language

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't get why Nintendo didn't just invest in a tier-system back in the day, much like Sega started to do (Sega also did something similar in Japan and self-regulated compared), to alert consumers the type of content and what might be suitable for specific audiences. But provided everything above is accurate, it does seem Howard Lincoln wanted Nintendo to be just a "Kids and Family" machine, which... I feel held back the system in hindsight.

One thing I remember being particularly baffled at and it still seems to be a semi-policy to this day is Nintendo of America's handling of religious topics. I'm not sure if this is a left-over from Howard Lincoln's tenure, but Xenoblade II's localization still danced around a bit when it came to discussions of religion and biblical topics from what I saw and that's fairly recent when you consider all matters. There's obviously other serious issue with Xenoblade II as a whole in terms of content that I was, in-hindsight, pretty surprised Nintendo left alone (a lot of the weird and awkward sexualization going on), but that one sticks out like a sore thumb to me in terms of what was altered.

Bringing that up, there is something that also stands out to me is what happened to the English text and dialogue on Resident Evil 4, which was published under an (temporary) exclusivity deal with Nintendo. This happened fairly late in the games localization process to the point the Japanese text seems to be (largely) in-tact from memory regarding cult and religious related matters. All that was scrubbed away from the English version. References to god were almost completely taken out. In fact, the game went as far as muting Ashley's one line, where she says "Oh my god?! What's going on?!", with "Oh my god!" being muted, resulting in lipsyncing that was never really ever fixed.

This example is extremely curious to me, since the game was planned to get an M rating here in America from the get go, so why would Nintendo still mandate religious stuff here to be toned? I get they had some money put into the deal and involvement with marketing, but the whole thing seemed really odd to me as a whole.

@Mendinso I'm not sure if it's a holdover from then or Nintendo just being absolutely phobic of running afoul of Christian fundamentalists, but it is something that still feels very present. Treehouse has been a thing at NoA since Lincoln's time there, so it really can go either way.

Halfway through the post (Amazing post btw) but people calls me crazy when i say that Yamauchi era Nintendo (wich includes Howard Lincoln) was its own enemy and burned down too many bridges just by sheer pride.

No, i'm not crazy, i was just observant back then. Nintendo higher ups were too assholic for their own good, they almost SEGAed themselves.

Thanks for the entertaining read, I've yet to read Game Over so I can't really speak on which part of this write up is properly sourced. But from everything I've read about Howard Lincoln over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff about his management style is true. Dude was nasty.

Halfway through the post (Amazing post btw) but people calls me crazy when i say that Yamauchi era Nintendo (wich includes Howard Lincoln) was its own enemy and burned down too many bridges just by sheer pride.

No, i'm not crazy, i was just observant back then. Nintendo higher ups were too assholic for their own good, they almost SEGAed themselves.
Yeah. For me, you can still feel the ramifications of these decisions to this day.

Also, something I didn’t mention: it was very VERY shortly after Yamauchi’s passing that Lincoln “decided” to retire from the Mariners. Makes me wonder if he felt he had nowhere left to hide and was going to be canned regardless. For a man who liked revenge, I wouldn’t doubt that he saw it coming for him, even if it wasn’t there. Besides, he was approaching 70 anyways.

Yeah. For me, you can still feel the ramifications of these decisions to this day.

Also, something I didn’t mention: it was very VERY shortly after Yamauchi’s passing that Lincoln “decided” to retire from the Mariners. Makes me wonder if he felt he had nowhere left to hide and was going to be canned regardless. For a man who liked revenge, I wouldn’t doubt that he saw it coming for him. Besides, he was approaching 70 anyways.

Yeah, it wouldn't e strange that the only reason why Lincoln was still active was because he was protected by papi Yamauchi

I hated what i saw back then, magazines used to laught off shit like giving dolphin toys to certain developers ho weren't of the higher ups' liking, but it was clear that shit like that soured too many studies and burned too many bridges.

Iwata had to work frantically to prevent the ship from sinking, when he took charge in the Gamecube era it was clear that the console had been sent to die and only getting crumbs from third party developers except for the biggest ones.

As a result, Nintendo users are still second or third rate users, and we're having shitshows like the Switch being the juggernaut it is and still having issues getting third parties to jump aboard.

I’m a bit mixed about Howard Lincoln. If it wasn’t for him, Super Mario Bros. 2 USA would’ve never existed and we would’ve got Super Mario Bros. 2 JP. He did some good but yeah I’m sure he also did some very bad things. The Nintendo USA of the 90’s ain’t the Nintendo USA of today (I think).

Great write up. I was always aware of the issue with Howard, even despite some of those early wins for Nintendo as a company and gaining a foothold in America while everyone else was struggling.

Also, can I just add, that for the longest time when I was a kid and teenager I thought Howard Lincoln was the same guy from the Nestor comics lol

I'm wondering... there were titles in Europe that never made it to the US (Terranigma being the most famous one, but notably also some Dragon Ball games and others) and how much of a say Nintendo of America had in that if NoA was this possessive about the stuff happening in Europe. And if, further down the line, this led to NoE taking the lead on a few projects at the turn of the last decade (The 'Rainfall' games, but also European exclusives like Another Code: R and Last Window).
Iwata had to work frantically to prevent the ship from sinking, when he took charge in the Gamecube era it was clear that the console had been sent to die and only getting crumbs from third party developers except for the biggest ones.
Yep. He pretty much inherited a broken mess and still got shit from a lot of 'fans' for it.

Wait there are people who don't agree with that and think it is crazy speculation?! O_O I mean, until just recently with Switch we were still feeling the ramifications of Yamauchi burning the bridge with Square Enix/Square Soft. A situation that only began to get fixed because Iwata took goodwill steps to better the relationship with them during the DS-Wii days.

Aside that it was no secret that the N64 -> PS1 3rd party jump being because of "cartridges" was just part of the excuse to free themselves from Yamauchi's pride and draconic rules.

Wait there are people who don't agree with that and think it is crazy speculation?! O_O I mean, until just recently with Switch we were still feeling the ramifications of Yamauchi burning the bridge with Square Enix/Square Soft. A situation that only began to get fixed because Iwata took goodwill steps to better the relationship with them during the DS-Wii days.

No, it's worse than that, you can still find people who miss the Yamauchi era unironicaly, the era of powerful consoles and arrogant Nintendo. I could understand it in the Wii era, but even today you can find people nostalgic of those times.

I honestly don't get it, back then i would read the news in my monthly magazines and even being on my teens i could see how Nintendo took misstep after misstep and how the third party blood became thinner and thinner, and we're still suffering the consequences of those mistakes.

Aside that it was no secret that the N64 -> PS1 3rd party jump being because of "cartridges" was just part of the excuse to free themselves from Yamauchi's pride and draconic rules.
It was clear as a goddamn day.

From what I read from this, things will probably never be back to "normal" per se.

Dunno on the current outlook with the newer developers these days. NISA, Koei-Tecmo and CyberConnect reactions are interesting.

I feel like this is as one-sided against Lincoln as the Emily Rogers piece is one-sided in favour of him. For example you talk about him "being responsible for losing Rare" (when they were well past their best) while barely giving him credit for getting Rare on board in the first place and giving them so much support! That was the more important part! Securing the Tetris licence was the makings of the Game Boy empire. He had tons of wins.

In totality, he was an excellent executive for Nintendo. His understood the gaming demographics of the day (it WAS 90%+ minors playing consoles in the early 90s after the initial NES fad), and that the media were invested in moral scare panics due to nothing major happening in the news for much of the 90s. As a result he thought his foremost priority was convincing parents that their children were safe being left unsupervised with a Nintendo. I'd argue that was absolutely fundamental to Nintendo's reputation and success - then and now. And as someone born in the early 80s, it was very much a thing that mothers trusted Nintendo to be "kid-safe" when they didn't always with other companies. He saw that very, very clearly. The blowback from his congress appearances is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

Where he went badly wrong was (as you've identified) in squeezing retailers and third parties so badly and burning those bridges. That was a huge strategic mistake and caused real damage. But even then, they would still have been fine in both retail and with third parties if Nintendo of Japan hadn't shafted Sony and hadn't made the error of using cartridges rather than CDs in the N64. The mistakes that brought Nintendo low were almost all made in Japan because that was where fundamental strategy was decided.

As for the second/third-party company partners being mismanaged - sure. But managing third party companies is really fucking hard. And all the major publishers, to this day, still struggle with it and still close down dev houses due to lack of success all the time. You have to look at his work in totality and the enormous success Nintendo had at that time. No exec is going to be perfect in all areas.

Liaising with a company head as difficult as Yamauchi when neither could speak the other's language must have been very difficult. For Nintendo to have the success they did under Lincoln bringing Japanese software to the US and making it "feel" universal, not like a foreign product at all - it was marketing brilliance. It outweighs everything else for me.

The guy was an aggressive lawyer type who ruffled feathers. Sure, whatever. He was a reflection of the aggressive Yamauchi. Again, I think that's why it worked. And it's why it makes sense that he left when Yamauchi did.

Just to quote the Emily Rogers article for those who don't click through (and I think it reflects more of the consensus on Lincoln):

Here is what Howard Lincoln/Minoru Arakawa were able to accomplish in 7 years (1994 through 2000).

• They discovered Rareware (Made them second party in 1994)
  • Retro Studios (Founded and established as second party in 1998 – Became first party later.)
  • Silicon Knights (Became second party on May 2000)
  • Left Field (Became second party in 1998)
  • NST – Nintendo Software Technology (Founded in 1998)
  • Built relationship with LucasArts and Factor 5 (Rogue Squadron 1+2+3).
  • Established relationship with DMA Design who later became Rockstar Games (One of N64′s original Dream team members)
For all that you've tried to negate all of these, almost every single one was a huge benefit to Nintendo at some point.

I don’t understand how Lincoln criticism is even that controversial.

SEGA court case shitfuckery alone should be a valid enough reason for one to look back on his tenure with less than fond feelings.

No, it's worse than that, you can still find people who miss the Yamauchi era unironicaly, the era of powerful consoles and arrogant Nintendo. I could understand it in the Wii era, but even today you can find people nostalgic of those times.

I honestly don't get it, back then i would read the news in my monthly magazines and even being on my teens i could see how Nintendo took misstep after misstep and how the third party blood became thinner and thinner, and we're still suffering the consequences of those mistakes.

It was clear as a goddamn day.
I think they just partly do it for the former. They unironically want to return to the days of powerful Nintendo consoles and they don't care if that would mean a return to arrogant Nintendo. They just want Nintendo to be part of the horse race, even if it means their arrogance comes back, or their creativity suffers because of it

In this side, I can't say much aside of what I have read through the years. Since the earliest I started following gaming news was in the leadup to Skyward Sword, and at that time I was just in 7th grade. So can't exactly give a proper perspective on how it looked 😅

Though have definitely read on this one and it was indeed pretty obvious. It was the perfect excuse, especially as they knew it would lead to a visceral response from Yamauchi. A response they could also use to get as far away from Nintendo as possible.

acb.gif

I knew someone was gonna come around and try to challenge me on this position.
I feel like this is as one-sided against Lincoln as the Emily Rogers piece is one-sided in favour of him. For example you talk about him "being responsible for losing Rare" (when they were well past their best) while barely giving him credit for getting Rare on board in the first place and giving them so much support! That was the more important part! Securing the Tetris licence was the makings of the Game Boy empire. He had tons of wins.
Saying Rare was past their prime is, quite frankly, revisionist history that Nintendo fans told themselves to feel better about them being bought by Microsoft.
Even if the games weren't to my taste in the second half of the N64 era and Star Fox Adventures left me with mixed feelings, their technical prowess was still entirely there and likely would have benefitted from a more direct involvement from NCL over time, had things gone differently.

And as Rare's own employees from during the transition to ownership by Microsoft will attest, their output diminished primarily because of culture clash:
From the inside the studio's gates, too, the changes to Rare introduced by Microsoft tampered with the recipe of the company's success, leaving teams feeling disorientated, and even downcast.

"The changes were imperceptible at first, but became increasingly rapid as time went on," says Phil Tossell. Hired by Hollis in 1997, he cut his teeth on Diddy Kong Racing before working as lead engineer on Dinosaur Planet (which later became Starfox Adventures). He was present at the company through the Microsoft acquisition, and was promoted to Director of Gameplay in 2009 when he oversaw development of Kinect Sports. "For me personally, the atmosphere became much more stifling and a lot more stressful," he says. "There was an overall feeling that you weren't really in control of what you were doing and that you weren't really trusted either.

"There was also a gradual introduction of certain Microsoft behaviours that crept into the way we did things: lots more meetings, performance reviews and far more regard for your position within the company," he said. "While these weren't necessarily good or bad per se, they began to erode the traditional Rare culture and way of doing things. Many of the people who'd been there a long time found these changes extremely hard to accept."
However, in time it became clear that everyone had underestimated how much of the studio's success was down to Nintendo's gentle steering. "It seemed like Microsoft was really a novice in the games industry and for some time they left us to try and see how things worked," Cook explains. "They wanted hit games for their console and since they weren't sure how to go about it they trusted Rare to do what was necessary. The problem here was that Rare was a very long way from the very corporate structure of Microsoft and when Rare had made games it wasn't in isolation from Nintendo but as a creative partnership.

"The kind of support that Nintendo offered wasn't available at Microsoft because Microsoft hadn't the experience. Ed Fries was aware of this, he was a very understanding person and wanted to foster studio culture and allow studios like Rare to build a space for themselves inside the Microsoft structure. Microsoft had a strong corporate identity and was very successful so it was only a matter of time until they applied their tried-and-tested corporate success to their new studio acquisitions."
I will never diminish Lincoln's serendipitous find of Rare at precisely the right time (and you'll notice I never tried to), and in fact give him the credit he's due in this respect, as well as for his astute understanding that NCL was perhaps not in a place where they could directly interface with Western developers without someone between NCL and the studio. My criticism there is always centred around not addressing and resolving that lack, opting instead to make himself and his team essential to it, and not pressing for an acquisition that the Stampers clearly wanted to happen, along with how finding Rare boosted his reach and his reputation as a gem-finder that didn't really pan out that way. Building something good means so little if it's not built to last.
In totality, he was an excellent executive for Nintendo. His understood the gaming demographics of the day (it WAS 90%+ minors playing consoles in the early 90s after the initial NES fad), and that the media were invested in moral scare panics due to nothing major happening in the news for much of the 90s. As a result he thought his foremost priority was convincing parents that their children were safe being left unsupervised with a Nintendo. I'd argue that was absolutely fundamental to Nintendo's reputation and success - then and now. And as someone born in the early 80s, it was very much a thing that mothers trusted Nintendo to be "kid-safe" when they didn't always with other companies. He saw that very, very clearly. The blowback from his congress appearances is a drop in the bucket in comparison.
I take it you missed how parents were upset with Nintendo of America for making censorship decisions arbitrarily on their behalf instead of giving them the tools to make informed decisions.
As well, it's like you and I saw a very different 6th generation play out, being their worst-performing console until the Wii U. Wii was quite literally an all-or-nothing gamble on the future of their company that (thankfully) paid off but was short-lived.
The fact of the matter is that it's another example of shortsightedness, thinking that those "minors", many of which were close to their teen years at the time, weren't about to become young adults with their own disposable income and would thus reflect a large part of the buying demographics moving forward, ignorant that their preferences would shape the future of the industry, instead of assuming video games would be one of the "childish things" people put away in adulthood.
And lastly, 3rd-parties still being hesitant to bring content to Nintendo platforms because of demographic perceptions is not a "drop in the bucket", not by a long shot. For any perceived positive gains made, the detrimental after-effects have long outlived them, but decades.
Where he went badly wrong was (as you've identified) in squeezing retailers and third parties so badly and burning those bridges. That was a huge strategic mistake and caused real damage. But even then, they would still have been fine in both retail and with third parties if Nintendo of Japan hadn't shafted Sony and hadn't made the error of using cartridges rather than CDs in the N64. The mistakes that brought Nintendo low were almost all made in Japan because that was where fundamental strategy was decided.
This is another mistaken impression I hear a lot of. Let's be real: had it not been Sony, it would have been Sega that capitalized on Nintendo's mis-steps to pull ahead of them and we would be looking at a very different industry than we have now. Nintendo didn't have Sega on the run, Sony did. Without Sony's presence, Nintendo wouldn't be in a better position, they'd be in the same position with someone different winning big from their failures.

As for the second/third-party company partners being mismanaged - sure. But managing third party companies is really fucking hard. And all the major publishers, to this day, still struggle with it and still close down dev houses due to lack of success all the time. You have to look at his work in totality and the enormous success Nintendo had at that time. No exec is going to be perfect in all areas.
I am looking at his work "in totality". That's rather the point, that I'm not looking at things through a rose-coloured lens.

Liaising with a company head as difficult as Yamauchi when neither could speak the other's language must have been very difficult. For Nintendo to have the success they did under Lincoln bringing Japanese software to the US and making it "feel" universal, not like a foreign product at all - it was marketing brilliance. It outweighs everything else for me.
Translating games wasn't some magic trick that only he could have achieved, and I think such commentary goes out of its way to discredit the work of the developers at Nintendo to make a universally-appealing product instead of a "Japanese" product that they could not have done without Lincoln. You're giving him credit at the expense of the people who most would agree are far more deserving of it.

Just to quote the Emily Rogers article for those who don't click through (and I think it reflects more of the consensus on Lincoln):

For all that you've tried to negate all of these, almost every single one was a huge benefit to Nintendo at some point.
Retro didn't turn around and become anything close to a benefit until after his retirement and NCL stepped in. Lincoln only owns the failures there and deserves no credit, especially considering how NCL gutted them in the process of fixing the mess and built back something completely unrecognizable from what it was. He gets no share in their success, sorry if you feel different, the facts are not in your favour there.
Silicon Knights.... yeah, Dyack talking crap about his relationship with Nintendo to everyone in the press who would listen sure was a big benefit alright. Thankfully, we learned later on that Dyack was just insufferable in every way possible and had a habit of blaming others for his failures.
DMA Design was a success in their own right thanks to Lemmings and the Nintendo partnership only produced one game that Nintendo had to stop making after 300K copies (and will never be available again) because of a Pixar lawsuit.
I never had anything bad to say about the LucasArts deal and was it actually one of the few deals he made that he wasn't responsible for dissolving. His association with that deal, however, likely was the reason Factor 5 wasn't salvaged out of that.
I give him all the credit for finding Rare, but I also give him the equal credit of not locking that down for reasons of self-importance. Giving credit where it's due goes both ways.
NST just hasn't lived up to its promise. I liked Wave Race: Blue Storm a whole bunch, but let's be real here.
And I'm not sure how many people have fond memories of NBA Courtside or Excitebike 64 from Left Field, I just know they eventually closed down.

That harm frankly outweighs the good, every single time. We are separated by Lincoln's time at NoA by 2 whole decades and still feel the repercussions of his actions. That Iwata made massive changes and corrections in the opposite direction of how things were in the 90s and we're now nearly 2 decades and 2 whole NCL presidents away from those changes with little to no reversion to the way things were tells me that there were more skeletons unearthed than has ever actually been reported.

Tremendous job, Terrel. Very informative.

Can't wait to read the one about Yamauchi whenever you decide to write it!

I feel like the claim that Rare was past their prime is almost entirely judged by their output under Microsoft and looks past the fact that in the year or two prior to the switch they released games like Banjo-Tooie, Perfect Dark, and Conker's BFD.

It never made sense to me. Well past their best? They lost some staff along the way, but were cranking out bangers until the very end. Then there's a paradigm shift in the management and the output falters, and that shift is... entirely coincidental? C'mon.

:cry:

Could you at least discuss this when I'm not around?
You may be king at Nintendo, but here you're just a Rattata.

Excellent write-up as always, @Terrell. I knew in broad strokes the Sega/Nintendo court case, but I did not know that Lincoln mentioned Night Trap specifically to spite Sega. That's hilarious.

90s corporate culture for video games is so fascinating in that it was a burgeoning industry with worldwide growth but still centralized mostly on these petty business figures and programmers. Now it's of course a huge multi-billion dollar industry with its own problems but there was something distinct about the palace intrigue for video game corporations at the turn of the century. Maybe because the internet was still in its infancy back then and we didn't have a lot of leaks, developer insight, etc. to how the games were made and sold. Sega's own history at the time is equally fascinating.

You may be king at Nintendo, but here you're just a Rattata.

Excellent write-up as always, @Terrell. I knew in broad strokes the Sega/Nintendo court case, but I did not know that Lincoln mentioned Night Trap specifically to spite Sega. That's hilarious.

90s corporate culture for video games is so fascinating in that it was a burgeoning industry with worldwide growth but still centralized mostly on these petty business figures and programmers. Now it's of course a huge multi-billion dollar industry with its own problems but there was something distinct about the palace intrigue for video game corporations at the turn of the century. Maybe because the internet was still in its infancy back then and we didn't have a lot of leaks, developer insight, etc. to how the games were made and sold. Sega's own history at the time is equally fascinating.
For those who haven't heard the famous quote:

Awesome OP and lots of great posts in this thread. This is one to bookmark and come back to later.

Tengen published and sold unlicensed software for NES, including Tetris, to retailers, do you think that if a third party tried to do this on Playstation nowadays Sony wouldn't react accordingly?

To the whole situation with Sega, just take a look at Sega of Americas marketing campaign to get a glimpse of what was going on.

This is fascinating, great job! I must be too young because I don't recognize this name, but this was so interesting and so much to unpack. Crazy how in good and bad ways, it looks like he had a major influence on Nintendo as a company and brand that still lasts today.

Cheers OP, I was hoping you"d followup on that original post and you did not disappoint. You brought the 🔥

Having skimmed the highly informative op as well as some excellent replies in this thread (Props to Heron's rebuttal in particular), while I think review of his tenure is ultimately being undersold here, I learned a ton about some of the key events during that pivotal N64 => Wii transition.

Great post ☕

Howard Lincoln overall did an excellent job as seen with Nintendos popularity in USA and I disagree with the pushed and hate filled narrative on display. Obviously it is a big challenge to compete against a mega corporation like Sony, who was the Apple of the 90s, who was willing to brute force its way into the market by unprecedent moneyhatting developers and publishers. Buying exclusivity left and right and leveraging the cheap medium. Having large parts of the videogame press in their pockets helped.

Fantastic post. I knew the majority of these things and its one of the reasons why after reading Ask Iwata have a massive respect for Iwata’s Nintendo rather than Yamauchi/Lincoln at the time.

I don't see Nintendo not buying Rare as a huge mistake anymore, considering their output after the Microsoft purchase. What would have been if it they were supervised by NCL instead? We don't know. Obviously i won't agree with Lincoln's methods, and the Sega case example is particularly ugly. Things at that time were very different indeed, communication between the branches must have been a lot harder, i'm glad that NoA isn't so powerful anymore and NCL has a bigger hand on overseas development nowadays. As for Yamauchi, though he obviously deserves criticism for his methods and his mindset as well... I find it kinda hard to lay a single finger on him, lol, because of all he did and all he represents. But yes, we shouldn't worship anyone.

Last edited:
The 5-year contract with LucasArts was not extended primarily due to a change in management at LucasArts that practically threw Factor 5 away (which Nintendo let happen, for what are now obvious reasons), who then went on to sink their company with Sony exclusive Lair.
are they obvious reason though? could you elaborate on that just a tiny bit since Factor 5 never comes up once in the write-up otherwise?

also: SpangenbErg, not SpangenbUrg :)

I don't see Nintendo not buying Rare as a huge mistake anymore, considering their output after the Microsoft purchase. What would have been if it they were supervised by NCL instead? We don't know. Obviously i won't agree with Lincoln's methods, and the Sega case example is particularly ugly. Things at that time were very different indeed, communication between the branches must have been a lot harder, i'm glad that NoA isn't so powerful anymore and NCL has a bigger hand on overseas development nowadays. As for Yamauchi, though he obviously deserves criticism for his methods and his mindset as well... I find it kinda hard to lay a single finger on him, lol, because of all he did and all he represents. But yes, we shouldn't worship anyone.
Nintendo not buying Rare is a win because we never would have gotten Sea of Thieves otherwise.

Last edited:
To the whole situation with Sega, just take a look at Sega of Americas marketing campaign to get a glimpse of what was going on.
Yeah, their marketing ruled. Sega did what Nintendidn't.
Seriously, Sega loosening Nintendo's strangle hold in the market is an unambiguously good thing, and was necessary for the console gaming space.

For those who haven't heard the famous quote:

Awesome OP and lots of great posts in this thread. This is one to bookmark and come back to later.

I think the Gaming Historian video on the court case is still one of the better ones about it imo so I'll just leave here to anyone who wants to watch it

Howard Lincoln bringing out the fact that the Bill White from Sega used to work for Nintendo is something else lol.

This thread should have been an article somewhere, I'm always impressed by these sorts of posts. You should definitely remove the Garbage Galaxy prefix, haha.

I have read Game Over at least three times. I know it's super dated in many ways but it really is a fascinating look into Nintendo's early years. It's almost impossible not to draw the same conclusions. I honestly don't know if Nintendo would have had its second wind with the DS/Wii without Lincoln leaving and Iwata taking the reigns...or even be here still at all.

All things considered, owning Night Trap physically on the Switch is one of my biggest guilty pleasures in life. I'm aware he could never have known how things would change in thirty years going forward, but still. You love to see it!

Decent writeup @Terrell even if I somewhat disagree with a few points.

@Heron I don't view Howard Lincoln as some saintly figure or business genius, but I do believe he was exactly what Nintendo needed at the time.

It's important to view things from the perspective of the time period (1980s). As the old phrase goes... hindsight is 20/20.

Mid-1980s:
  • The video game crash (known as the "Atari shock" in Japan) occurred from 1983 to 1985.
  • Toy companies conclude that video games are just a fad. Many stores refuse to stock video game products because they are commercial poison.
  • Parents have lost trust in the game industry. Low quality games have flooded the market.
  • The reputation of the industry has sunk to its lowest point in history.
Now imagine you are this unknown company called Nintendo. They're calling stores and introducing themselves as "We're the people who made Donkey Kong". No one knows who the hell Nintendo is, and stores have no interest in stocking gaming products anymore. That's the uphill battle that they were facing back then.

To re-gain the trust of toy companies and parents, Hiroshi Yamauchi believed that tighter quality control was the answer. That meant tighter control over the types of games that reached the market. Was Hiroshi Yamauchi wrong to believe this in the late 1980s? In my opinion, Nintendo's Seal of Quality was necessary to re-build trust with consumers and retailers.

Yes, stricter control over third party content had consequences, and it led to the rise of Sony's PlayStation. I don't disagree with any of that.

But considering how young the game industry was, Nintendo needed a cutthroat person like Lincoln to survive it. Nintendo had very little experience in the game industry when Yamauchi took over the company. Lincoln helped navigate the company through a turbulent and unpredictable western market. (FYI: Most of Nintendo's global marketshare came from the west, not Japan).

If you truly believe all of Lincoln's policies were detrimental to the company, ask yourself this question:

How many of Howard Lincoln's competitors from the 1980s-1990s are still producing gaming hardware today?
  • Sega withdrew from the console hardware business in March 2001. (Lincoln left Nintendo in 2000)
  • Creators of TurboGrafx-16 (NEC) withdrew from the hardware business. Hudson Soft is now owned by Konami.
  • Other 1990s systems - Atari Jaguar, 3DO, Phillips CDi - were all commercial failures.
  • Game Gear and Sega Nomad failed to cut into Game Boy's marketshare.
Were Yamauchi and Lincoln wrong for being so tough on piracy? Well, piracy played a major role in killing the Sega Dreamcast. In fact, it may have been the final nail in the coffin to Sega's hardware business.

Was Lincoln wrong for censorship policies to protect his company's family friendly image? Absolutely. But in the late 1980s, video games were still a very young medium. Back then, the U.S. government (and the general public) didn't view video games as an artform like films or music, they viewed them as children's toys. With the U.S. government cracking down on violent games, Lincoln did what a good lawyer should do -- defend and protect his company from the government.

Let's talk about the positive things Howard Lincoln and Minoru Arakawa did for Nintendo.
  • NST, Rareware, Retro Studios, Silicon Knights, Left Field.
  • Donkey Kong Country made the Donkey Kong character "cool" again.
  • Played a role in bringing "Doom" to SNES and N64.
  • Played a role in bringing "Tetris" to Game Boy.
  • Partnered with Acclaim to get exclusive series like "Turok" and "Quarterback Club".
  • Partnered with LucasArts to get exclusive "Star Wars" games for N64. (Shadows of the Empire, Episode 1 Racer, Rogue Squadron)
  • Partnered with THQ to get exclusive wrestling games (WCW, WWF).
  • Nintendo made their own sports games. (Ken Griffey, Kobe Bryant)
  • Nintendo also had a stronger relationship with Electronic Arts. (Madden, NHL)
  • Game Boy was marketed in the United States to adults.
  • "Pokémon" was introduced to the world during the Yamauchi/Lincoln/Arakawa regime.
  • Launched the "Nintendo Power" magazine.

In the near future, I want to write a piece about the friendship and professional relationship between Minoru Arakawa and Howard Lincoln. Specifically, their friendship during an important year -- 1994.

[Fun little fact about me: My family were all Sega fans. My first game console wasn't a Nintendo system - it was a Sega system.]

Great write up, I've always imagined him like Kevin Spacey's character in House of Cards lol

I'll stress again, Lincoln wasn't some perfect genius. He had a poor track record with the Seattle Mariners.

But Lincoln and Arakawa helped Nintendo succeed in the west, at a time when everyone thought the game industry was a joke.

Lincoln considered Spangenburg to do good work and helped to initially fund the studio, creating another "2nd-party" to add to his collection. But one honestly gets an impression that Spangenburg was calling in a favour.

I personally don't see why Howard Lincoln was terrible because he tried to build up a portfolio of studios/partners. How's that any different from Phil Spencer "collecting" companies (Bethesda, Mojang) and putting them under the Xbox Studios banner?

Look at it from Lincoln's perspective:
  • 'Turok', 'Quarterback Club', and 'South Park' all were selling millions on N64. (Iguana Entertainment)
  • NOA wanted more exclusive studios in the west that they could work with.
  • Nintendo's Japanese studios aren't capable of working on every genre.
I'm no fan of Jeff Spangenburg whatsoever, but Retro Studios seemed like a pretty low-risk investment for Lincoln. Even with all the drama and turmoil, Nintendo wound up buying the company for only $1 million. A drop in the bucket.

I’ll never understand where this narrative of Rare’s output being bad or having slowed down or whatever after the Microsoft acquisition comes from. These are all of the games they developed after the Microsoft acquisition between 2002-2009…

-Starfox Adventures
-Grabbed by the Ghoulies
-Donkey Kong Country trilogy remakes on GBA
-It’s Mr. Pants
-Sabrewulf
-Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty’s Revenge
-Banjo Pilot
-Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
-Diddy Kong Racing DS
-Perfect Dark Zero
-Kameo: Elements of Power
-Conker: Live & Reloaded
-Viva Piñata
-Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
-Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise
-Jetpac Refuelled
-Though unreleased, pretty much finished Goldeneye 007 remake as well
-Collaborated with 4J Studios on Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Perfect Dark HD remasters

That’s 22 games in a 7 year time span. And the majority of those are pretty damn good games. It can’t be stressed enough that Rare was very much still Rare. It’s just that their console games weren’t selling multi-millions of copies as they did in the past. Kinect Sports was their big breakout hit for Xbox that sold over 11million units between the three games in the franchise. Not what we wanted from Rare, but what Rare needed or they otherwise wouldn’t be around anymore.

So people can say what they want about Rare, but the narrative of a “poor output of games” or whatever after the acquisition is false.

Yeah, I agree with both viewpoints. Howard Lincoln was absolutely the right man for the NES era (and possibly the SNES). He saved their bacon numerous times, like the Universal suit. Nintendo's iron grip dragged the American market back from the dead and kept politicians away.

I'd argue that both Sega and Nintendo were in a really bad place to fight Sony in the PS1 generation; not making their own chips or CDs they were never able to compete with Sony on price. This is the same reason Nintendo dropped out of the specs war, it's not possible to beat Sony's infrastructure (or cash reserves) for making their hardware. Creating enemies is never a good idea long term, but they were in a bad situation there regardless

But yeah, during the SNES era on the enmities that Nintendo had built up started to come home to roost. They were slow to fix it too.

Weren't the GBA/DS/XBLA games done by their own independent group within Rare? If you remove those the 22 releases shrinks to 8 and 1 was really a holdover (SFA) that just finished up and fulfilled contract obligations as they changed hands to Xbox. Although 7 "full" home console games in 7 years isn't too shabby either imo.

Weren't the GBA/DS/XBLA games done by their own independent group within Rare? If you remove those the 22 releases shrinks to 8 and 1 was really a holdover (SFA) that just finished up and fulfilled contract obligations as they changed hands to Xbox. Although 7 "full" home console games in 7 years isn't too shabby either imo.

Yes, Rare had their own handheld division. But just because they’re handheld games and not console games doesn’t mean they should be discounted. They were still developed at Rare by Rare.

Yes, Rare had their own handheld division. But just because they’re handheld games and not console games doesn’t mean they should be discounted. They were still developed at Rare by Rare.
Sure, I just feel the numbers are bit skewed when a tiny team on mainly non-Microsoft hardware is responsible for the vast majority of Rare's output for those years.

Sure, I just feel the numbers are bit skewed when a tiny team on mainly non-Microsoft hardware is responsible for the vast majority of Rare's output for those years.

Console games have much larger expenses and development times, so of course there are going to be less game than for a couple of handheld devices. And even then, the fact that they could develop so many handheld games with such a small team in so short of time is amazing itself.

Honestly while I know Lincoln was quite the character in his day, the thing is, he was a force to be reckoned with and gave Nintendo that BITE that they needed and frankly, do again.

I'm definitely biased as I grew up in the golden age of the SNES and N64 eras, so I only saw the gold he brought to Nintendo, rather than the bad behind the scenes stuff as described in the OP (very well written and informative BTW!).

Iwata did a lot of good for Nintendo especially on the JP side, no question. But Iwata never had the vision for the west that Lincoln did. Honestly Next Level Games and the clean up of Retro are the only good he did in terms of western support. What was needed was a unity or compromise; Lincoln's vision for the west, but guided with care by the JP HQ.

I can't help but wonder in sadness what we missed out on had things gone on for another gen. Would Rare had stayed? I'd feel that Lincoln may have really pushed for them to have stayed longer, but yeah it was a critical mistake not having had Rare be bought when they the goldmine was first starting in the SNES era. Rare obviously weren't as big or expensive then, but also as said, they should've shared control with Nintendo in Japan. Basically let Lincoln run things, but needed the supervision and oversight by HQ to make sure things didn't go awry.

Trouble is, NST's fuck up happened during the Iwata era. Not only that, but the OP erroneously says NST didn't make any games during Lincoln's period? Didn't they make the first 1080 on the N64? They also did make Ridge Racer 64 (of all things), so they weren't just doing nothing on the N64. Oh and a number of GBC games like Crystalis with SNK.

Honestly while I know Lincoln was quite the character in his day, the thing is, he was a force to be reckoned with and gave Nintendo that BITE that they needed and frankly, do again.

I'm definitely biased as I grew up in the golden age of the SNES and N64 eras, so I only saw the gold he brought to Nintendo, rather than the bad behind the scenes stuff as described in the OP (very well written and informative BTW!).

Iwata did a lot of good for Nintendo especially on the JP side, no question. But Iwata never had the vision for the west that Lincoln did. Honestly Next Level Games and the clean up of Retro are the only good he did in terms of western support. What was needed was a unity or compromise; Lincoln's vision for the west, but guided with care by the JP HQ.

I can't help but wonder in sadness what we missed out on had things gone on for another gen. Would Rare had stayed? I'd feel that Lincoln may have really pushed for them to have stayed longer, but yeah it was a critical mistake not having had Rare be bought when they the goldmine was first starting in the SNES era. Rare obviously weren't as big or expensive then, but also as said, they should've shared control with Nintendo in Japan. Basically let Lincoln run things, but needed the supervision and oversight by HQ to make sure things didn't go awry.

Trouble is, NST's fuck up happened during the Iwata era. Not only that, but the OP erroneously says NST didn't make any games during Lincoln's period? Didn't they make the first 1080 on the N64? They also did make Ridge Racer 64 (of all things), so they weren't just doing nothing on the N64. Oh and a number of GBC games like Crystalis with SNK.
I kind of agree with you. I like it when Nintendo bites back. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see things like that anymore because corporations are too afraid of taking unnecessary risks.

I kind of agree with you. I like it when Nintendo bites back. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see things like that anymore because corporations are too afraid of taking unnecessary risks.
Now see, they DO do that once in a while:

One brilliant no mercy example was announcing Monster Hunter 4 for 3DS, I think a week before pre-orders began or even the release date of the Vita in Japan.

NOW THAT'S A BITE! LOL

For context; Monster Hunter literally saved the PSP in Japan and a LOT was riding on the series moving on to Vita following Portable 3rd's huge success on PSP (reaching 5 million sold in Japan). Well let's just say time took a different track than most thought. :p Monster Hunter 4 ended up, I kid you not, outselling the Vita's entire hardware LTD in its opening week in Japan at retail I think in Media Create specifically (Famitsu had it a bit lower).... yeah.

I do struggle with other examples sadly, but that was one I'll never forget.

Howard Lincoln overall did an excellent job as seen with Nintendos popularity in USA and I disagree with the pushed and hate filled narrative on display. Obviously it is a big challenge to compete against a mega corporation like Sony, who was the Apple of the 90s, who was willing to brute force its way into the market by unprecedent moneyhatting developers and publishers. Buying exclusivity left and right and leveraging the cheap medium. Having large parts of the videogame press in their pockets helped.
The press weren't in the pockets of Sony. Sony was a new and exciting development in the industry that they wanted to cover and (frankly) they were far less antagonistic with the press than the highly secretive Nintendo was. If you're a member of the press and see a company being an open book by comparison to the prior market leader, who are you going to pay more attention to? Who are you going to be able to mine more information that you can publish from?
And again... if it wasn't Sony that won out, it would have been Sega. That simple.
are they obvious reason though? could you elaborate on that just a tiny bit since Factor 5 never comes up once in the write-up otherwise?

also: SpangenbErg, not SpangenbUrg :)
I'll go back and edit out the misspellings.... eventually. I finished writing this (and mostly wrote it) between midnight and 3am.
The reason for Factor 5 getting abandoned is likely twofold: Factor 5 was frankly tainted by association a bit, but even in spite of this, Nintendo reached out to try and salvage the relationship after Lair and... well, watch this and tell me why they passed.
Decent writeup @Terrell even if I somewhat disagree with a few points.

@Heron I don't view Howard Lincoln as some saintly figure or business genius, but I do believe he was exactly what Nintendo needed at the time.

It's important to view things from the perspective of the time period (1980s). As the old phrase goes... hindsight is 20/20.

Mid-1980s:
  • The video game crash (known as the "Atari shock" in Japan) occurred from 1983 to 1985.
  • Toy companies conclude that video games are just a fad. Many stores refuse to stock video game products because they are commercial poison.
  • Parents have lost trust in the game industry. Low quality games have flooded the market.
  • The reputation of the industry has sunk to its lowest point in history.
Now imagine you are this unknown company called Nintendo. They're calling stores and introducing themselves as "We're the people who made Donkey Kong". No one knows who the hell Nintendo is, and stores have no interest in stocking gaming products anymore. That's the uphill battle that they were facing back then.

To re-gain the trust of toy companies and parents, Hiroshi Yamauchi believed that tighter quality control was the answer. That meant tighter control over the types of games that reached the market. Was Hiroshi Yamauchi wrong to believe this in the late 1980s? In my opinion, Nintendo's Seal of Quality was necessary to re-build trust with consumers and retailers.

Yes, stricter control over third party content had consequences, and it led to the rise of Sony's PlayStation. I don't disagree with any of that.

But considering how young the game industry was, Nintendo needed a cutthroat person like Lincoln to survive it. Nintendo had very little experience in the game industry when Yamauchi took over the company. Lincoln helped navigate the company through a turbulent and unpredictable western market. (FYI: Most of Nintendo's global marketshare came from the west, not Japan).
I don't disagree with any of this. It's why I infrequently bring up his time during the NES years, other than to highlight policies that long outstayed their welcome and the Tetris thing, which was just part of a history of how absolutely petty the man was.
But it was absolutely a choice to continue this behaviour long after it was still legitimately useful and that's part of the problems Nintendo still faces today.
How many of Howard Lincoln's competitors from the 1980s-1990s are still producing gaming hardware today?
  • Sega withdrew from the console hardware business in March 2001. (Lincoln left Nintendo in 2000)
  • Creators of TurboGrafx-16 (NEC) withdrew from the hardware business. Hudson Soft is now owned by Konami.
  • Other 1990s systems - Atari Jaguar, 3DO, Phillips CDi - were all commercial failures.
  • Game Gear and Sega Nomad failed to cut into Game Boy's marketshare.
Were Yamauchi and Lincoln wrong for being so tough on piracy? Well, piracy played a major role in killing the Sega Dreamcast. In fact, it may have been the final nail in the coffin to Sega's hardware business.
Sega made a lot of its own bad decisions, quite frankly, mostly predicated on thinking that Nintendo was the only competitor they needed to worry about; plenty of hubris to go around in those days, it seems. By the time the Dreamcast was at retail, they were already on the road to exiting the hardware market. From what I was reading, plans to exit the hardware market were already in play before a single Dreamcast hit a shelf and followed through with its release because the money was already spent on its release anyways; it was literally a hail-mary long shot.
Hudson Soft and NEC had hoped that PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 would be able to compete with Nintendo, and it absolutely did in Japan (filling the competition role in Japan where Sega continued to falter), but Genesis pushed them out of the American market due partly to a late US launch and its successor, the PC-FX, lacked a chip for polygonal rendering that sank Hudson and NEC's ambitions to continue.
And the less said about other 90s systems the better, but they frankly sunk themselves in their own ways; their competitors could have said no bad word about them and things would have ended up mostly the same.

What I mean to say is that Nintendo wasn't the only company making bad decisions at the time. I could write lengthy posts about them, as well, but I'm pretty spent as it is.
Was Lincoln wrong for censorship policies to protect his company's family friendly image? Absolutely. But in the late 1980s, video games were still a very young medium. Back then, the U.S. government (and the general public) didn't view video games as an artform like films or music, they viewed them as children's toys. With the U.S. government cracking down on violent games, Lincoln did what a good lawyer should do -- defend and protect his company from the government.
What Lincoln did was beyond defence of his company. By your own admission in the article you wrote on the subject, he was (given the circumstances, somewhat hilariously) out for blood and soured his retail partnerships in the process.
I personally don't see why Howard Lincoln was terrible because he tried to build up a portfolio of studios/partners. How's that any different from Phil Spencer "collecting" companies (Bethesda, Mojang) and putting them under the Xbox Studios banner?

Look at it from Lincoln's perspective:
  • 'Turok', 'Quarterback Club', and 'South Park' all were selling millions on N64. (Iguana Entertainment)
  • NOA wanted more exclusive studios in the west that they could work with.
  • Nintendo's Japanese studios aren't capable of working on every genre.
I'm no fan of Jeff Spangenburg whatsoever, but Retro Studios seemed like a pretty low-risk investment for Lincoln. Even with all the drama and turmoil, Nintendo wound up buying the company for only $1 million. A drop in the bucket.
The difference comes in how none of it was built to last because he wanted to maintain control of them, as I outlined. Contrasting Phil Spencer making lasting first-party relationships with his corporation with Lincoln's "2nd-party" relationships with himself and his team moreso than with NCL itself (as clearly evidenced by the Retro situation) only drives the point home, in my mind.
Nintendo bought Spangenburg out for such a paltry sum because, according to sources in the company, it was either that or Nintendo was prepared to walk away completely after Metroid Prime, they were that fed up with him and his studio under his "management". It was a hell of a good deal for Nintendo, no doubt, but it was one born of frustration with what was allowed to happen there on their dime, and who knows how much that original 25% stake and the 4 years prior cost them (they've never said, to my knowledge).
Under Lincoln's supervision, the "low-risk investment" was legitimately spinning out of control, either because he lost control of the situation or allowed it to happen. It gave a hell of a lot of insight as to how he was running things with those relationships when no one was looking.

Back
Top Bottom