• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How Players Finally Obtained the Triforce in OoT(Swanky Box)

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Pronouns
He/Him

This is definitely the coolest thing that has ever happened at GDQ. The OoT community really came together, and brought beta elements, traditional playground rumors, and even something quite amazing to life. Using completely unmodified N64 hardware, the community has created a way for Link to get the Triforce, labeled, Triforce percent.

This video explains quite a bit, but it is outright surreal seeing all of this happen.

I didn't realize what this was at first and so kind of spoiled myself on all the surprises, it seems like watching the actual run blind first would make it super mindblowing:

It does seem like for people who don't watch that explanation videos though, they're going to be mighty confused about what's "real" beta and what's not

Last edited:
This is gaming history being written, right before our very eyes.

Incredible.

The way they implemented the BOTW Models with custom animations and voice acting is just mind boggling. Absolute insanity. The love and dedication that this game still inspires in people is nothing short of legendary.

I wasn't able to see this live, but man what an achievement and a fitting celebration of SGDQ and its community.

I've watched the entire hour of that run. This was so amazing, I didn't realise how much stuff there was left in the cartridge. And that ending was epic.

If they could add in and flesh out this stuff in the pc port or have an entire ROM hack, I'd play it in a heart beat.

I especially liked
the full Song of Time, that was awesome. Especially all the stuff and dialogue that was left with the Gerudo, all that lore makes it so much better. Nabooru would be an amazing character if she had more appearances in the game and her (and all the Gerudo) designs would be improved.

I also loved the running man stuff lol. That fake out with the rupee and his fight was great.

I love arbitrary code execution on original hardware, Flappy Bird in SMW already blew my mind but this is another level.

Re: ending
I usually don't want Link to ever speak in a Zelda game but if he did, this is how I'd want it to be done. I teared up a little.

I've watched the entire hour of that run. This was so amazing, I didn't realise how much stuff there was left in the cartridge. And that ending was epic.

If they could add in and flesh out this stuff in the pc port or have an entire ROM hack, I'd play it in a heart beat.

I especially liked
the full Song of Time, that was awesome. Especially all the stuff and dialogue that was left with the Gerudo, all that lore makes it so much better. Nabooru would be an amazing character if she had more appearances in the game and her (and all the Gerudo) designs would be improved.

I also loved the running man stuff lol. That fake out with the rupee and his fight was great.
As for your spoiler. None of that was ever in the game. That was all created to tell the story they came up with to tie the handful of beta assets with their custom rooms, text, songs and cutscenes together.

As for your spoiler. None of that was ever in the game. That was all created to tell the story they came up with to tie the handful of beta assets with their custom rooms, text, songs and cutscenes together.
Oh, I thought
it was left over. I guess it makes sense that they added it in, since it's all in English. At least the full song of time is left over.

Still, it was amazing to see what they did with it.

Oh, I thought
it was left over. I guess it makes sense that they added it in, since it's all in English. At least the full song of time is left over.

Still, it was amazing to see what they did with it.
Nah, even that is a new creation. The only left over beta things are the mushroom powder, the beta Kokiri, the giant rupee, the butterfly in the bottle the mask upgrades and the whole Ocarina Spectrum with half and full step modifiers being recognised.

I think the beta great fairy might have been a leftover as well, but I think they might have simply recreated her from the beta screenshots.

They basically took all the urban legends, all the beta assets and all the hoaxes and created something absolutely magical.

Nah, even that is a new creation. The only left over beta things are the mushroom powder, the beta Kokiri, the giant rupee, the butterfly in the bottle the mask upgrades and the whole Ocarina Spectrum with half and full step modifiers being recognised.

I think the beta great fairy might have been a leftover as well, but I think they might have simply recreated her from the beta screenshots.

They basically took all the urban legends, all the beta assets and all the hoaxes and created something absolutely magical.
I get it now. I thought they said the full song of time was left in the game, but they didn't go with it because it's a bit complex. But they actually meant the half and full step tunes.

Yeah, i think the beta fairy is modeled after old screenshots as well. They mentioned the unicorns being from there.
Like what they did with the Sacred Realm, where the stairs were visible before, but you could never go there.

I get it now. I thought they said the full song of time was left in the game, but they didn't go with it because it's a bit complex. But they actually meant the half and full step tunes.

Yeah, i think the beta fairy is modeled after old screenshots as well. They mentioned the unicorns being from there.
Like what they did with the Sacred Realm, where the stairs were visible before, but you could never go there.
It's just heartwarming seeing them put this insane amount of creativity and work into this. They could have simply done the ACE to break the game, but they actually created one of the most memorable and impressive fan works I have ever seen.

Mind blowing.

It's just heartwarming seeing them put this insane amount of creativity and work into this. They could have simply done the ACE to break the game, but they actually created one of the most memorable and impressive fan works I have ever seen.

Mind blowing.
Yep, it truly is. The whole hour flew by, that's how much I was into it. They've done fantastic work.

I'm not at all into OoT speedrunning but i was completely captivated. Truly one of the great moments in GDQ history.

Amazing, still amazing no matter what. I wish I could play it all over again with no memories of it. Glad the community keeps it alive in such a way the original creators will never be able to.

I missed this at GDQ but just caught the vod and it's absolutely incredible what they managed to do here. Especially the finale.

Ok I don't follow the OOT speedrun or hacking scenes so I'm a bit confused by this video.

It claims to access the Triforce via a stock Nintendo 64 and OOT cartridge with some helper bot inputting 2 million lines of commands to break the game to allow for this, but how did they inject all that custom text, special songs, etc. to tie all together? I assume if the goal was to access the triforce they could do it by just warping to the beta asset. Help me out here.

Ok I don't follow the OOT speedrun or hacking scenes so I'm a bit confused by this video.

It claims to access the Triforce via a stock Nintendo 64 and OOT cartridge with some helper bot inputting 2 million lines of commands to break the game to allow for this, but how did they inject all that custom text, special songs, etc. to tie all together? I assume if the goal was to access the triforce they could do it by just warping to the beta asset. Help me out here.
The 2 million inputs are the custom stuff. They basically inject all that custom text, music and maps via the controller ports. This includes the working cel shader for the BotW models, the Twitch Chat integration and even the voice acting.

From my understanding, all of that stuff is injected in real time by the tasbot thingie. When they mean arbitrary code execution, they really seem to mean it. Meaning you can run any code you want as long as, you know, you're able to input it in time. In this case controller ports 2-4 are being used. How many keypresses can the N64 register a second???

Anyway this was cool as hell and it will forever be my wish for there to be super obscure/obtuse secrets for real in in Zelda games. These are mysterious games, but there's never any real mystery, it's all illusion. I hope the existence of datamining wouldn't kill that idea dead immediately tho.

The 2 million inputs are the custom stuff. They basically inject all that custom text, music and maps via the controller ports. This includes the working cel shader for the BotW models, the Twitch Chat integration and even the voice acting.

From my understanding, all of that stuff is injected in real time by the tasbot thingie. When they mean arbitrary code execution, they really seem to mean it. Meaning you can run any code you want as long as, you know, you're able to input it in time. In this case controller ports 2-4 are being used. How many keypresses can the N64 register a second???

Anyway this was cool as hell and it will forever be my wish for there to be super obscure/obtuse secrets for real in in Zelda games. These are mysterious games, but there's never any real mystery, it's all illusion. I hope the existence of datamining wouldn't kill that idea dead immediately tho.
ok, does that include the triforce parts or is that really part of the unused beta game code?

ok, does that include the triforce parts or is that really part of the unused beta game code?
It includes the triforce parts.
Only a small number of assets were pre-existing, and they mention them whenever they come up (like the beta Kokiri).

Nah, that was imported as well. They modelled the room after those hoax screenshots from way back in the day and created new cutscenes and text for the whole "Quest" to get it.
From what I understood they even had to repair a few beta items as they had incomplete or corrupted files.
The fact of the matter is, the unused stuff is minuscule and the whole story they spun around it is the culmination of decades of fan theories and old interviews and hoaxes.

Basically they wrote their own complete mod for OoT to work on real Hardware.

That is an amazing ROM hack! The fact that they got real-time cel-shading running on the N64 is crazy enough (remember that the N64 has no built-in hardware designed to handle that effect and it is a very resource intensive effect to do in software on such vintage hardware), but then they manage to get voice acting (again, OoT was not built to support voice samples like this), AND live Twitch chat integration too!? That is BONKERS! :eek:

Amazing work from Zel, Saureen and CDI-Fails!

The Running Man "boss" was also absolutely hilarious! :D

Fake Edit: For those confused about how this all works and what it really is? Basically, it's a fan-made ROM hack that includes files & assets that are loosely based on cut-content and old pre-release trailers that were re-created (with a lot of artistic liberty). That ROM hack is then injected into the game through TASbot/Arbitrary Code Execution glitches.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom