• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How do you pronounce Girafarig and Farigiraf

Hard G or Soft G?

• Hard - GirafariG and fariGiraf

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Soft - JirafariJ and fariJiraf

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Chaos - JirafariG and fariGiraf

Votes: 27 79.4%

• Total voters

Red Monster

Mr. Noodle
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Hard G or Soft G? GirafariG and fariGiraf? Or is it JirafariJ and fariJiraf? Are there Hard and Soft Gs mixed together? Ever since GSC, I've always pronounced Girafarig as JirafariG, with a Soft G at the front and Hard G at the end. But lately, I've realized that mixing the G sounds ruins the "palindrome" nature of the name.

How do you pronounce these Pokemon's names?

JirafariG and FariGiraf are the actual pronounciations, unless I'm wrong. I think a voice-over on one of the S/V trailers said Farigiraf that way.

Chaos way for me. I do agree that it should probably be JirafariJ given what the name is, but a lot of "official" Pokemon pronunciations go against the actual name concepts.

Seeing as we all know how to pronounce Giraffe, it's pretty obvious, no? That rules out your first option, and also makes Farigiraf irrelevant - we know how to pronounce that one.

So only Girafarig is in question. The first part of the name is obviously "Giraffe". So soft "g". The second part of the name is "arig". This doesn't mean anything so we look to the basic rules of english. "G" only turns soft when followed by "e", "i" or "y" (although not always). That's not the case here - the "g" is at the end. In fact, I don't know of a single word in English ending in "g" that uses the soft "g".

So, it's the third option, which rather than chaos should be labelled "conventional English".

The only thing that really makes sense to me is

JirafariG

FariJiraf

I don't think palindromes are necessarily supposed to carry over into pronunciation

Seeing as we all know how to pronounce Giraffe, it's pretty obvious, no? That rules out your first option, and also makes Farigiraf irrelevant - we know how to pronounce that one.

So only Girafarig is in question. The first part of the name is obviously "Giraffe". So soft "g". The second part of the name is "arig". This doesn't mean anything so we look to the basic rules of english. "G" only turns soft when followed by "e", "i" or "y" (although not always). That's not the case here - the "g" is at the end. In fact, I don't know of a single word in English ending in "g" that uses the soft "g".

So, it's the third option, which rather than chaos should be labelled "conventional English".
I get what you're saying! But Girafarig is spelled the same front-to-back and back-to-front, mirroring the fact that the Pokemon has two heads: one at the front and one at the back. Given that, shouldn't the name have soft g's at the front AND the back?

And further, Farigiraf should have a soft g also.

I get what you're saying! But Girafarig is spelled the same front-to-back and back-to-front, mirroring the fact that the Pokemon has a two heads: one at the front and one at the back. Given that, shouldn't the name have soft g's at the front AND the back?

Shit, I didn't even notice that it didn't in the 3rd option. Of course it should. So there's a 4th option called standard English.

I get your point about the palindrome but when your brain scans words it never thinks about such things - it just subconsciously processes all the hidden rules of your language.

I get what you're saying! But Girafarig is spelled the same front-to-back and back-to-front, mirroring the fact that the Pokemon has two heads: one at the front and one at the back. Given that, shouldn't the name have soft g's at the front AND the back?

I think there are plenty of examples of already existing Pokemon whose names prioritize English nuances of pronunciation over the concept behind the name

"Pidgeot" should technically be pronounced "pidgit", since it's a play off "pidgeon"
"Charizard" should technically be pronounced "char-IZZerd"
We don't pronounce Ekans like "kyens", even though that's "snake" backwards phonetically
We (thankfully) don't pronounce "Porygon" like "polygon" in Engrish

Don't get me started on later gen names... I feel like they really dropped the ball with intuitiveness in their pronunciation (hello Cofagrigus, Beheeyem, Zweilous, Shiinotic, Palossand, Silvally, Milcery...)

I think there are plenty of examples of already existing Pokemon whose names prioritize English nuances of pronunciation over the concept behind the name

"Pidgeot" should technically be pronounced "pidgit", since it's a play off "pidgeon"
We don't pronounce Ekans like "kyens", even though that's "snake" backwards phonetically

Don't get me started on later gen names... I feel like they really dropped the ball with intuitiveness in their pronunciation (hello Cofagrigus, Beheeyem, Zweilous, Shiinotic, Palossand, Silvally, Milcery...)
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened but it feels like since gen 5 the name localizations have gotten a lot more obtuse. Partially why I don't have all the names after gen 4 memorized lol

I’m voting for Giraffe uh rig and Fairy Giraffe. We need that fourth poll option added for JG and J.

i refuse to call pidgeot anything but pidjit

Back
Top Bottom