• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro How Creative Limitations Shaped Ocarina of Time's Best Music (8-Bit Music Theory)

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him

This channel likes to look at the composition and meaning of video game tracks, and for this video is examining how the limited 5 note composition of Ocarina of Time’s main melodies paved the way for some of the most memorable songs in gaming.

So to be my eternal shame I have never played OoT. I never got into Zelda as a kid for whatever reason; I tried OoT as maybe a 20-year-old during a brief Nintendo renaissance where I was living, but got bored quickly; and then never touched Zelda (or really, Nintendo) again until I got my Switch and BOTW in 2018.

Needless to say, I am HYPED for N64 on NSO!

I'm surprised the uploader didn't note that the Ocarina actually does go beyond those five notes by combining the button presses with moving the analogue stick, You can also make changes by holding the R and Z Buttons. Presumably as a small easter egg.

Zelda's Lullaby also has a noticeable resemblance to "Concerto for Philodendron and Pothos" from the cult classic Synthesizer album Mother Earth's Plantasia, released in 1976.

Though considering the incredibly limited distribution (It was only available by buying a plant at a single store or a Mattress at Sears) of it, which was naturally limited to the US. It's more likely to be a coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom