• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Home Cooking |ST| So Tasty!

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
FBCookHeader.png

Welcome everyone to the Famiboards Home Cooking ST! This is one I've been meaning to create for a while, so I hope you all find some use in it! Whether you want to show off that sweet new dessert you would normally post to Instagram, find some resources to help you get started, or just drool in envy at your fellow Fami's culinary creations, this is your place to do it all!

Resources
Here are some YouTube Channels I would recommend giving a look to help inspire you!
Binging With Babish- Best known for his reconstruction of various dishes from TV and media, this channel offers both entertainment in the novelty dishes and some great tips in his Basics with Babish Series
You Suck at Cooking- Somehow both a surreal comedy and an easy-to-follow series of videos on basic yet tasty food of all kinds.
Joshua Weissman- A prolific young YouTube chef who offers his take on making various recipes better, cheaper, or faster.
Claire Saffitz- A pastry chef formerly of Bon Appetit who focuses on dessert recipes
Alvin Zhou- Probably best known for his recipes that take their time to complete, and formerly of Tasty. I personally make his 2-day Chocolate Chunk cookies every Christmas!
Ethan Chlebowski- A home chef who is always looking to break down what makes recipes work and building them back up to be the best they can be.
Adam Ragusea- Another home chef who examines the history and food science behind a lot of common recipes, while also making his own.

Famiboards Home Cooking Hall of Fame
(Once we get some exceptional posts, I'll begin cataloging them here!)

This thread is a work in progress, so please feel free to offer up any requests you'd like to see added to the OP!

いただきます

I'll start off with what I made tonight, Cauliflower fried rice!! This is something I started doing when I was trying Keto, but I like the recipe enough that it's in my regular rotation, especially now that I'm doing strength training and need a good protein boost.

Here's most of what goes into it:
304858093_593120052542879_750785796229581103_n.jpg

That is about 1/3 of a head of cauliflower (I use a cheese grater to rice it, but you can get it prericed or use another tool), some frozen peas and carrots, a chopped Serrano pepper, diced garlic and ginger, green onion, bacon, diced pork, and some scrambled egg. I cook the eggs first, chop up, and set aside, then cook the bacon. The bacon's purpose is mostly to render fat, which will be used to fry the dish. Once the bacon is cooked, I dice it and set aside, then toss the green onion whites, ginger, and garlic into the fat to begin flavoring on medium heat, then adding the diced pork as well. After a minute or so, I also add in the cauliflower rice, peas, carrots, and serrano pepper (any pepper works, I've used jalapeno, or you can forgo it entirely), increase the heat to medium high to high, and begin stirring and letting everything cook down. There is a lot of moisture in the cauliflower, so don't be alarmed that a lot of steam will come off it at this point. Season the mixture while cooking with some soy sauce and MSG, and if you wish, some red pepper and sriracha sauce. When the cauliflower rice has begun to lose steam and brown, add in your cooked eggs and bacon, and add a small amount of Toasted Sesame Oil (a little bit goes a long way), and let go a couple more minutes. Once it is cooked, add to a bowl, and top with your diced green onion stalks and more sriracha for color, and it comes out something like this!

304825182_1246018419528645_2237889563492310361_n.jpg

This is probably enough to feed two people if you have another side or a single person as a single large meal.

Last edited:
Oh shit. This thread is for me. Will definitely be contributing here (and keeping posts in the general thread too).

Made some cookies for a family event! These are somewhat special cookies, I usually make them for Christmas, but my brother really likes them, so I made a bonus round this year.

307822550-618774179753463-7150483920166012707-n.jpg

These are based on Alvin Zhou's cookie recipe, which is close to a standard chocolate chip with a few key differences. First, instead of chocolate chips, I cut bars of dark chocolate into chunks, which gives irregular sized pieces and some nice chocolate dust to mix in with your dough. These also get some toffee chunks as well, in about equal parts to the chocolate. Toffee is surprisingly easy to make, you just melt light brown sugar and butter together, let it combine and cook to about 290F, then pour onto a sheet and stick it in the freezer until it cools. Once it's cool, put it in a bag and smash it up with a hammer or rolling pin, and you get something like this:
306665824-1342924752905150-7633677487162918384-n.jpg

Aside from the chocolate and toffee, there are a few other things you do to elevate the cookies. First, make sure to use browned butter by letting the butter heat until it begins to turn golden brown (but don't let it burn!), and also mix in some coffee powder with the cookie dough. And, most importantly, once the cookies are rolled up into nice, slightly smaller than fist sized balls, stick em in the fridge and let them rest for 36-48 full hours. This allows the flavors to really combine, and let's some of the outer moisture dry out (ironically, this makes the final product seem more moist in the center, but the edges nice and crispy). And then, once they finally come out, hit them with a bit of flakey sea salt.

This isn't the most photogenic picture of them, but they do look great in person, and trust me this is easily the best cookie recipe I know.
306410375-1091420218165724-6849779492586550947-n.jpg

Bumping this thread @WestEgg. Didn’t get my ingredient shots but the finish product I think looks pretty good. Thai beef bowl with a When the Smoke Cleared cocktail.

CC1-AFCFD-EF8-A-44-CB-8-E7-F-D42-CFFB17097.jpg

Shallot, Bell Pepper, ground beef (or sub plant based which I have done), shit ton of ginger and basil, ponzu as the salt and sour element. Top with fresh basil, peanuts, and sriracha sour cream (usually these are more aiolis but I prefer sour cream over mayo for the extra zip).

9-AA3-A278-40-C9-4779-8575-AAB825-C2-AF14.jpg

Cocktail is lime, pineapple, mezcal, aperol and ginger syrup. I make pretty much all my syrups and fresh juice stuff so whipped up a quick ginger syrup which gives a slight bit more heat then if you just let it steep a long time. The ginger and smoke play very well with the bitter aperitif and the sweet of the pineapple. A little salt solution ties it all together.

730-A60-FD-5-BB3-41-B9-AB24-A1-C91612-CDA5.jpg

Bumping this thread @WestEgg. Didn’t get my ingredient shots but the finish product I think looks pretty good. Thai beef bowl with a When the Smoke Cleared cocktail.

CC1-AFCFD-EF8-A-44-CB-8-E7-F-D42-CFFB17097.jpg

Shallot, Bell Pepper, ground beef (or sub plant based which I have done), shit ton of ginger and basil, ponzu as the salt and sour element. Top with fresh basil, peanuts, and sriracha sour cream (usually these are more aiolis but I prefer sour cream over mayo for the extra zip).

9-AA3-A278-40-C9-4779-8575-AAB825-C2-AF14.jpg

Cocktail is lime, pineapple, mezcal, aperol and ginger syrup. I make pretty much all my syrups and fresh juice stuff so whipped up a quick ginger syrup which gives a slight bit more heat then if you just let it steep a long time. The ginger and smoke play very well with the bitter aperitif and the sweet of the pineapple. A little salt solution ties it all together.

730-A60-FD-5-BB3-41-B9-AB24-A1-C91612-CDA5.jpg
YESSSS! Happy to see this thread bumped, and that is some beautiful looking food and drink!

Thanks for bumping. Inspiring thread. Great cocktail presentation also. Also amazing cookies above!

Obligatory:

FuCs7wnXoAAUT0Q.jpg:large

Whoa! I had no idea this thread existed I will post some stuff for sure. I'm already hungry!

EDIT:
Yesterday’s dinner: focaccia! This one had a little bit of parmesan grated onto the bread and then some broccoli, tomato and red onion from the BBQ, goat cheese, and some basil and cilantro from the garden sprinkled on top! It’s really fun to make focaccia and it’s so freaking filling it always lasts my wife and I like 3 days lol

TyQA3k8.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s a variation on something a local café in my area used to make: a sandwich with a Big Mac-inspired sauce where grilled halloumi cheese is the “meat.”

You need:
— halloumi cheese
— your preferred burg bun
— lettuce (normally I use iceberg but just happened to have some sorta butter lettuce ready in the backyard!)
— Big Mac-ish burger sauce

For that last one I use Matty Matheson’s burger sauce recipe. He’s a good chef. His videos are also completely insane, if you’re into having fun!

It’s a ratio recipe. However much you want to make it’s:
— 1/2 yellow mustard
— 1/4 ketchup
— 1/4 mayo (preferably kewpie — I buy the one with the weird baby on it!)

Then chop up some white or yellow onion with some pickle. Dump that into the sauce and mix it up! His own crew rips him for calling it a “recipe” in the video, but Matty is right: that sauce ratio really does some work.

0EIXo41.png

—————

Otherwise all you have to do is:
— Chip-chop the lettuce
— Grill the halloumi. (I grill the buns too) I like the grill best for this but you can pan fry it just as well really. Either way, slice it decently thick
— Stack it up and eat it!

If a vegetarian shows up to your BBQ this summer, spare them the awful veggie burger and blow their damn mind with this!

aI8wTRo.jpg

Oh HECK YEAH my kinda thread.
I've got an odd relationship with cooking- took 2 years of it for trade school, came to an impasse where i could either have fun with it, or come to dread working in the kitchen. I had a few culinary jobs, but mostly I'd get lazy when I did, instead of my new relaxed job where I'm much more willing to do dumb food experiments or spend more time indulging in projects that may not pan out.
I swear, if I could have anything "extra" within my house, it would be a second fridge for my sauces. More than anything, I'd consider sauce making what I excel at, though for someone trapped in the city, I've been known to throw down some sick BBQ. I just have a knack for liking dipping sauces though. I'm really tempted to drop like 60 bucks on a bunch of Yuzu Bachans so I can marinade the hell out of everything
However, above all else [and not for lack of trying to shift the status quo, mind you], the amount of baked goods I make as opposed to savory goods are unfathomable. I used to sustain my income on primarily baked goods after all, and though the amount of training I have as a patisserie is a measly 1 month instead of the 2 years and several more as a more professional experience, I think my skill for baked goods is my own personal measure of my ability to cook, since it's much more 'technical', and since I've had less interactions with anyone who knows fully what they're doing.
Quick couple of photos of some of my tops lately: Cinnamon Butterscotch Cookies [Inspired by Undertale], A Turkey Club Burger [With honey maple turkey and FRENCH FRIES BABY], and Reese's PB Brownies with a really kickass peanut butter icing, if i do say so myself.

20230919_235756.jpg
20230611_235903.jpg
20231009_000327.jpg

I have never heard of a Turkey Club Burger, but I definitely want one now.
when I first started my current gig I realized we had 1/3 lb gourmet patties on manager's discount fairly often, so I went on a quest making a bunch of different burger types trying to intentionally be creative and repeat no burgers.
The Turkey Club Burger was one of the clear winners. There never was a loser, but the turkey club burger sits opposite from the very concept. I can't recommend it hard enough.

Hey everyone, no recipe or pics for this post, but I did want to give a cooking tip!

If you live in the US, there will be an abundance of turkey in your grocery stores. Don’t think these are just for Thanksgiving! Turkey meat can be amazing if prepared right, and it’s exceptionally cheap since it’s being produced in bulk for the season. I have an 18 pound turkey in my fridge right now that only cost around $11, and it’s going to give me meals for the next week, with some left over to freeze or turn into soup stock that will last far longer.

One last tip if you do get a full bird, even though a full roasted turkey is the classic image, I’ve had much better results breaking it down rather than cooking it whole. Turkeys are big and can cook unevenly, especially as the breast meat dries out far more quickly than the dark meat. Roasting it either by spatchcocking the bird in a roasting pan (when you remove the spine so it lays more flat) or cooking it on a flat pan in segments helps everything cook more evenly and gives you better control. Also, don’t forget to dry brine your meat by salting it and letting it rest for a few hours!

Last edited:
I love cooking, and try to do it at least 3 times a week, been doing pretty well recently.

Some recent dishes:
-Bean Bake with sausages and cheese
-crab bake with potatoes and corn
-Pork ribs with brussels sprouts

Upcoming this week:
-chicken thighs with veggies and a yogurt dip
-Japanese curry with beef

Made my cookies (see earlier post from last year) and my family caramel recipe for an office party! Once the caramel cools, I'll cut it up into small squares, it's pretty light and fudge like.

GBWM5YgWYAAgA8b

Whoa! I had no idea this thread existed I will post some stuff for sure. I'm already hungry!

EDIT:
Yesterday’s dinner: focaccia! This one had a little bit of parmesan grated onto the bread and then some broccoli, tomato and red onion from the BBQ, goat cheese, and some basil and cilantro from the garden sprinkled on top! It’s really fun to make focaccia and it’s so freaking filling it always lasts my wife and I like 3 days lol

TyQA3k8.jpg
This looks so good!

This looks delicious. Sorry to be dense but do you have an ingredients list for this (even if it seems simple)? Thanks!
Chop onion and trim down a head of cauliflower to small florets. Then pan fry those in olive oil on high for 5 min. Add 3 or so chile in adobo, half cup or so of enchilada sauce, 1/3 cup water, and some oregano. Cook on medium for 10 min. Then you just oil up some warmed corn tortilla, put them on a baking sheet, add cheese of choice and the cauliflower to half of the tortilla, fold over and bake at 425 for 5 min each side (flipping is tough sometimes because they get pretty full or stuck. Adding a minute or 2 on the first side can help crisp more). That’s it.

Then I just top with whatever sounds good. Guac, sour cream, cilantro, lettuce, jalapeño in this case.

Back
Top Bottom