• Starts off okay, and I really liked the scene of Joel's confession to Ellie that he attempted to take his own life. Very well played by Pedro and Bella. Almost immediately after though, we see the entirety of the tunnel sequence replaced by... some Firefly Jim Bobs ambushing the pair. Huh? Though I do understand that the tunnel wasn't exactly "integral" to the narrative, it still served a purpose of giving us one final, tremendously tense encounter that Joel and Ellie were tasked with confronting as a pair. The panic of the rushing water sequence from the game was also better than just having some Fireflies stroll up and toss a grenade. I just rewatched it on YouTube, and there's even a really poignant shot of Ellie unconscious in the water, as Joel swims to her. The perfect visual to represent Joel's profound level of care for Ellie, and the emotional core of the story as a whole.
• We knew full well we'd only get to see an abridged version of Joel's hospital rampage, but I still feel like that little killing montage lacked appropriate weight behind it. Dunno. Game was superior here imo, especially the execution of the initial Firefly bloke that was tasked with escorting Joel out of the building.
• Jerry's death was appropriately unceremonious. He's just a dude in the way that Joel didn't think twice about killing, and that was conveyed well here. Very confused as to why they omitted Jerry's line "This is our future. Think of all the lives we'll save", though. Seems pretty important in keeping with the fact that Joel was making a deliberate choice here, and one of tremendous consequence.
• The emotional sequence with Joel running out of the hospital with Ellie in his arms while "All Gone (No Escape)"
plays is completely absent. It's just not here. They opted to outright cut one of the best parts of the game's finale. Really scratching my head at this.
• Marlene's death is yet another aspect that was handled better in the game. The ringing sound and black screen that follow after Joel's gunshot are something I still haven't forgotten, even a decade later. Hell, I even remember the mediocre frozen pizza I ate that morning immediately after finishing the game, due to the stark contrast in quality between those two things. Here, it just doesn't give off the same strong impression.