• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Happy Slowpoke Day 2021 |ST| Have an Udon with Yadon

Clov

An ethernet cable girlfriend
Pronouns
She/Her
Today is August 10th in Japan, which means... that's right! It's Slowpoke Day! Use this thread to discuss one of the most lovable Pokemon of all, Slowpoke, and other members of the Slowpoke family!

jzhd68k20xa21.jpg

Why is today Slowpoke Day?

It's yet another one of those Japanese number related puns. In Japan, Slowpoke is called Yadon. "Ya" can be read as "8", while "do" can (uncommonly, apparently) be read as "10"... and that's close enough to Yadon, Yadoran, and Yakoking to make 8/10 "Yadon's Day"!

I don't know much about Pokemon. Who's Slowpoke?

Slowpoke is one of the best Pokemon ever created! A water and psychic type, Slowpokes are known to be lazy and extremely absent minded. They love to go fishing using their tail, though sometimes they forget what they're doing. Slowpoke's tail sometimes falls off... but it grows right back, so it doesn't mind. There's a legend that says when a Slowpoke yawns, it will rain... It has two evolutions, Slowbro and Slowking, defending on whether a Shellder bites its tail, or if it evolves using the King's Rock. All members of the Slowpoke family also have alternate Galar forms, who sport different coloring and typing. Slowbro even got a Mega Evolution!

c62a0d786baa526ed3c874a67f8ed0eb745c7c24.png

Why is Slowpoke so important?

Though Slowpoke is number 79 in the Pokedex, it actually was one of the first Pokemon ever created! Or at least, Slowbro is.

Back then, they were called "Yadon", the same name that would be given to Slowpoke eventually. In the final games, Slowpoke also played a prominent role in Gen 2, where the player had to head to the Slowpoke Well to stop Team Rocket's plot to harvest their tails. And of course, Galar Slowpoke introduces the DLC for Sword and Shield by absent-mindedly blocking the way to a train.

In the anime, there's been several Slowpoke focused episodes, including the recent Slowpoke Island episodes! The anime also established the Slowpoke family's friendship with another spaced out Pokemon, Psyduck!

FCplXBuXIAIPMh8.jpg:large

51cIGM8-X5L._AC_SY450_.jpg

Of course, Slowpoke's significance in the Pokemon games and anime pales to its real world significance, where in 2018 it was appointed as the governor of Japan's Kagawa Prefecture, renamed to "Slowpoke Prefecture" (Kagawa, nicknamed "Udon Prefecture" due to its popular udon noodles, took on the nickname "Yadon Prefecture").

Kagawa Prefecture has many collaboration goods with Slowpoke, which you can see here!

How can I celebrate Slowpoke Day?

Why not listen to Slowpoke's official theme song?

Maybe enjoy a nice bowl of udon, one of Slowpoke's favorite foods?

yadon2.jpg

FRmjAi0XsAEU_7f

Maybe take a nice, relaxing vacation somewhere?

Slowpoke-Attractions.jpg

There's plenty you can do to celebrate one of the greatest of all Pokemon!

I don't like Slowpoke, or any of its variants and evolutions.

780.gif

Happy Slowpoke Day! Take it easy!

PXL_20220810_021147689.jpg

slowpoke-gen1.jpg

A joyous day for all enjoyers of Pokémon out there. Slowbro was the 8th Pokémon created, and Slowpoke was 37th, one of the first completed evolution families when that idea was first conceptualized! They’re all-time classic Pokémon for sure, so give it up for them!

pokemon-slowpoke.gif

I'm not really a Pokemon fan, but I'm a huge Slowpoke fan. They're just so cute that sometimes I almost get sad that they're not real. I'm like those people who got depression because they couldn't go to the Avatar planet but for Slowpoke.

Another fun Slowpoke fact; episode 260 of the anime, A Crowning Achievement, which is focused on Slowpoke and Slowking, was the last episode to use cel animation.

Another fun Slowpoke fact; episode 260 of the anime, A Crowning Achievement, which is focused on Slowpoke and Slowking, was the last episode to use cel animation.

I never knew this! That's really neat; an achievement fit for a king!

slowpoke-pokemon.gif

Not a big Pokemon fan but I am incredibly lazy and absent-minded, so they are most definitely my spirit Pokemon.

Slowpoke and I would get along just fine. And now I also want curry udon.

Came here for the Kagawa prefecture video and was not disappointed (watch it if you haven't, it's hilarious).

Happy birthday, Slowpoke, whenever you realize this thread was made!

Last edited:
Slowpoke needs 2 additional regional forms or similar so i can make a team consisting only of Slowbros and Slowkings!

I'm hijacking Slowpoke's thread to add that yesterday was the special day for one of my favourite Pokemon, Wigglytuff. Hope to see you again in Explorers DX sometime soon, my tuff puff friend...

Pink Gen 1 mons have got to stick together though, so here's some cute Slowpokes to make up for this:

For Slowpoke Day, TPC uploaded a special video: a Slowpoke Festival Dance!

And here's some cute Slowpoke tweets I've seen today:

Back
Top Bottom