• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Guilty pleasure games - Games you know that suck but you can't help playing it

Guaraná

Paratroopa
I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII for the 4th time.

I know it's a bad Final Fantasy, it's a bad RPG and a bad videogame overall; I know it has a broken system and I know the story is sooooo cliche, know all that... but I just can't control myself when I'm near this game. I like FFVIII so much, It brings me so many good memories, that at, least every 5 years, I have to play it again.

It's the first time I'm playing on a Nintendo system and the possibility to play it 3x faster really helps with all those GF presentation scenes. Plus I like the card game.

And you? What are your gaming guilty pleasures?

...but Final Fantasy VIII doesn't suck....the game design and systems in that game are incredible. It's so oddball, you have to love it.

I don't know if there are ANY games I think suck for other people, but that I love. There are just games that are misunderstood or are waiting to find their audience. I mean there are some legitimately bad games, but do I play any of them? I am hard pressed to think of any....

There are genres of games which I am more tolerant of lower quality - simply because I love the mechanics. Adventure games for instance. I am a sucker for detective games. AI Somnium Files maybe that comes close. It has many flaws, but I absolutely love it!

Edit: Oh and Mystery Dungeon type games which almost always review poorly.

Last edited:
There are a good amount of games on the eShop that are rough in many ways but are actually pretty fun to play if you give them the chance.

Frankly, bad but somehow fun is much better than competent yet boring.

Not sure I agree to FF VIII sucking but to each their own.

Looking at my collection, the game with the lowest metacritic score that I own is Knack with 54. Criminally underrated but I don't care. Loved it!

Pokemon games probably. They're like the McDonald's of jRPGs but they hit the spot usually, don't think I've played one that was actually good in over a decade though. Very similar to Call of Duty in a way which I'll also play occasionally.

Resident Evil is my favorite franchise, and I like all of the games. Like, all of them. RE Survivor on PS1? I've beaten it many times. It's awful. I keep playing it though. Operation Raccoon City? You bet. It's not as bad as Survivor, but it's not good at all. RE Gaiden? Oh yeah! Any game with the great bearded one as a playable character is going in my playlist. (Barry Burton if your not an RE nerd like me)

Also, for some reason, I'm addicted to video game movies. I have to watch them all. And not very many are even watchable. But for some reason, I just can't look away. I think I have problems.

If we're talking FF, I know XV is extremely flawed, not to mention unfinished. But love the road trip vibes and the bond between the four bro's is adorable.

I don't play games that i think suck but i have a few games i love despite them being deeply flawed. FF15 and Arcanum for example

Sonic Adventure 2 is deeply flawed and the cutscenes are just incredibly ridiculous. But there is a really cheesy earnestness to it and I genuinely adore how the game ends. And I really think the Sonic/Shadow stages play well and the Emerald search levels aren't that bad once you learn a their weird quirks. Not to mention the Chao Garden is just a fantastic timesink. It's always gonna be one of my favorite games.

sa2 doesn't suck it's genuinely good fuck you

If we're talking FF, I know XV is extremely flawed, not to mention unfinished. But love the road trip vibes and the bond between the four bro's is adorable.
Yeah, I agree. Really, really, flawed game. But I still look back fondly on it, mostly because of the relationship between the four main characters.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow series and the upcoming Final Fantasy CHAOS game.

I don't consider these "bad games" in the sense that they're a broken mess or straight-up unplayable but I do fancy some 'ecchi' games like Hyperdimension, Senran Kagura or Gal*Gun. Also, I think some of these are actually better games than a lot of highly praised AAA(A(A)) stuff.

I wouldn't call them bad per se, but the jank of the Gravity Rush series adds a huge amount of charm to it for me. The player grappling with the controls kinda feels like it unintentionally mirrors Kat struggling to control her powers. And by the end of the game, you're both gravity masters. It's pretty great.

I know ubisoft games are repetitive and bloated but theirs something enjoyable about them and their writing

It's nostalgia for sure, and actually I recently noticed it's way worse than i remembered, but I can't help it and love Disaster Day of Crisis.

the deadly premonition games for sure. as games they suck but the quirkiness and stories make up for it, i think. Outside of those im very picky about which games i play so, i stay away from games that dont review well/have clear red flags for me

Fallout 3 and NV on the PS3
zkEZfVg.jpg

The point is: are you playing over joy or because you're just addictive to it?

I hate Majikarp Jump, but spent money on it during a certain time of my life. The game was terrible but I couldn't help myself
I dunno, I'm generally really picky. I don't spend time on any game that bores me, the second it does, I drop it. Which means the only games I am spending time on are the ones that by definition are the ones that I deem worth my tome lol.

So take, for example, AssCreed Odyssey. I love that game, I have more than 60 hours on it. A lot of people might call it a guilty pleasure and talk about how it's not really good. I won't make that distinction. Which isn't to say I won't criticize it for its excesses and failings, because it obviously has many of those, much like just about anything else, but I think it is a good game that manages to overcome whatever those shortcomings are regardless, and I enjoy it enough to have given almost three days of my life to it.

Basically if I felt something wasn't good or engaging, I wouldn't have spent time on it to begin with. If I spent time on it, I probably don't think it was too good or engaging lol.

Hiryuu no Ken S Golden Fighter

By most metrics a very subpar beat 'em up/fighting game by Culture Brain. The Hiryuu no Ken series actually does have some pretty passable games (Flying Dragon on the N64 and SD Hiryuu no Ken on the SNES are probably the best examples of good games in the series), but Golden Fighter is not considered one of them.

The funny thing is that I was already playing way better beat 'em ups like Streets of Rage and Final Fight by that point but I still could not stop renting this freaking game. I think it was probably a combination of it being a relatively easy game, the game being mixture of a beat 'em up with a fighting game which was a novel concept for me at that time and also the fact that it has this whole Saint Seiya/Samurai Troopers-esque thing going on complete with you recruiting characters between stages, the game turning into a fighting tournament and then the characters having armored transformations in some boss fights.

From what I seen there's a localized version of it by the name of Ultimate Fighter that removes a lot of the anime aesthetic which in this case it's frankly a big turnoff lol.

Donkey Kong 64, played it a ton as a kid, replayed it as an adult and all the padding stuff is real but I still like the vibe of hanging out in these levels and just collecting stuff constantly.

Back
Top Bottom