• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News GrimGrimoire OnceMore announced for PS4 and Switch (UPDATE: releasing April 4th, 2023, demo available today)

it only took them 5 years

Vanillaware releases a game like twice a decade now, it is normal
onDjpWV.png

onDjpWV.png
13S took a lot longer than expected and was a bigger project than what they were used to. If 13S had maintained the initial scope of the project we would have got more Vanillware games this decade , just look at their output 2006-2013 . Even if of course modern games take longer to make so we wouldnt get yearly releases but a new game every 3-4 years instead of seven years.

onDjpWV.png
To be fair only 13 Sentinels took them more than 3 years, as your table shows, and they have been releasing improved ports constantly.

I'm really interested on their new project though, and I don't mind waiting for 6 more years if it's as good as 13 Sentinels. I would love to see a turn-based JRPG from them, it would work well with their repeated-asset issue and would allow them to experiment with new genres. Their action sidescroller games are great but I feel that until Dragon's Crown, that has a huge multiplayer component and different classes to choose from, their games felt too repetitive as all of them are quite long and re-use enemies and backgrounds all the time, as well as having repetitive combat system. Of course 13 Sentinles fixed some of the issues of previous games thanks to being heavily narrative-focused, but I wouldn't mind them trying something new and more gameplay-oriented.

it only took them 5 years
The important thing is that they're here.
13S took a lot longer than expected and was a bigger project than what they were used to. If 13S had maintained the initial scope of the project we would have got more Vanillware games this decade , just look at their output 2006-2013 . Even if of course modern games take longer to make so we wouldnt get yearly releases but a new game every 3-4 years instead of seven years.
Don't forget Muramasa Rebirth and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir which featured additional characters & stories (Muramasa Rebirth) and updated gameplay (Odin Sphere Leifthrasir). If you include those then Vanillaware has been pretty busy this past decade.
To be fair only 13 Sentinels took them more than 3 years, as your table shows, and they have been releasing improved ports constantly.

I'm really interested on their new project though, and I don't mind waiting for 6 more years if it's as good as 13 Sentinels. I would love to see a turn-based JRPG from them, it would work well with their repeated-asset issue and would allow them to experiment with new genres. Their action sidescroller games are great but I feel that until Dragon's Crown, that has a huge multiplayer component and different classes to choose from, their games felt too repetitive as all of them are quite long and re-use enemies and backgrounds all the time, as well as having repetitive combat system. Of course 13 Sentinles fixed some of the issues of previous games thanks to being heavily narrative-focused, but I wouldn't mind them trying something new and more gameplay-oriented.
Honestly that's why I felt Vanillaware's games are best on handhelds. The repetition is less of an issue due to the pick up and play style of handhelds when compared to the hours-long gameplay sessions commonly seen with home consoles.

oh

OH

I knew the soundtrack was composed by current Basiscape people, but not that it sounded this close to their FFT/Ivalice stuff.

Yup. It's an amazing soundtrack. Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masaharu Iwata, Mitsuhiro Kaneda and everyone else at Basiscape never miss.

Still no mention of Western release? I wonder if it will take so long to release on the West that it will be PS5/Switch instead lol
I think it will happen, maybe even release in time for Halloween. NISA already has a lot of RPGs announced so it might just be holding onto this one.

I think it will happen, maybe even release in time for Halloween. NISA already has a lot of RPGs announced so it might just be holding onto this one.
It will happen for sure it's a NISA game, just find it weird we have no release date in the West yet

Still no mention of Western release? I wonder if it will take so long to release on the West that it will be PS5/Switch instead lol
Probably due to Vanillaware developing the port themselves? The "NIS Classics" series (With the partial exception of Phantom Brave, as that was brought to PC years prior.) were worked on by Netherlands based studios codeglue and Engine Software. So those getting a worldwide announcement make sense.

It'll almost certainly be at the NG+ Expo, if they end up doing an event in June.

Probably due to Vanillaware developing the port themselves? The "NIS Classics" series (With the partial exception of Phantom Brave, as that was brought to PC years prior.) were worked on by Netherlands based studios codeglue and Engine Software. So those getting a worldwide announcement make sense.

It'll almost certainly be at the NG+ Expo, if they end up doing an event in June.
I know a worldwide release day 1 is not possible for financial reasons , just that I expected to have a date for the western release at this point, but good point about NG+ Expo will keep it in mind!

New trailer:

And the official synopsis reads:

Lillet Blan was very excited.

Her heart had been racing since the moment she heard. Lillet had been invited to enroll into a Magic Academy where only talented youths were personally sought out by the greatest wizards. The school was lead by the famous wizard, Gammel Dore, who had once defeated the Archmage. And the campus on which they study, the Silver Star tower, was once the destroyed Archmage’s castle.

The tower was still full of unsolved mysteries and dangers, and this attracted many who had their own personal reasons in mind. Lillet had opened her first grimoire, and began her studies. But only five days later, a terrifying disaster threatens the academy, and all lives are lost. All except she, who had traveled back through time without knowing why…

Can Lillet come closer to the truth by reliving those repeating days? Can she end the nightmare at the end of those five days?

To avoid constant death, open the grimoires once again.

Hopefully it doesn't take as long as Labyrinth of Galleria. It shouldn't since the localization is already complete. Maybe soon after the Japanese release we'll hear something.

I knew it was coming due to the leak last week, but I'm so happy it's officially confirmed; Once this is out I will finally have evey western released Vanillaware title on a handheld. Hopefully Atlus and Marvelous will bring the rest of their Vanillaware games to the Switch as well.
Noice, I hope it plays similarly to 13S.
While I read that GrimGrimoire was an inspiration during the development of 13 Sentinels they are pretty different. Personally I'm hoping the improvements are on par with Odin Sphere Leifthrasir.

Hopefully you don't let that dissuade you from getting the game. Gameplay-wise they're both RTS, but 13 Sentinels shares more in common with Tower Defense games while GrimGrimoire is more like a traditional RTS with resource management except it's on a 2D plane. When it comes to story GrimGrimoire is linear and easier to follow compared to 13 Sentinels.

Good to have confirmation of a western release! I almost gave up on that.

Kinda funny, though. People have been wishing for Switch versions of Vanillaware games for like five years and now we get two in the span of a year. Here's hoping even more of them are in the cards.

Last edited:
I've been trying out the demo, and I sadly don't think I enjoy this type of game play..
The fact the game is on constant autoplay was a bit jarring to me too.

But the art and illustrations they show in this game are gorgeous!

Edit:
Correction, I found out how to open the menu and you can toggle the autoplay off there. XD

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom