• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News GrimGrimoire OnceMore announced for PS4 and Switch (UPDATE: releasing April 4th, 2023, demo available today)

mazi

picross pundit
Publisher Nippon Ichi Software and developer Vanillaware have announced GrimGrimoire remaster GrimGrimoire OnceMore for PlayStation 4 and Switch, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. It will launch on July 28 in Japan for 5,478 yen.

GrimGrimoire is a real-time strategy game first released for PlayStation 2 on April 12, 2007 in Japan, followed by North America on June 26 and Europe on September 28.

Awesome!! So excited more Vanillaware is already on the way for Switch! Love their games!

I’m most hoping both Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and Princess Crown come next. Muramasa and Dragon’s Crown would be great too!

It being published by NIS probably helped as well. They do love the Switch.
They love money and the Switch is where they find the most , this seems obvious but for other Japanese developers it seems like it isn’t. Also due to being published by NIS we for sure will get in the West even if later I expect it 9-12 months later than in Japan but with no physical or if there is it will be a limited release.

Nice. Hopefully this is a sign of more of their games coming to Switch. Dragon's Crown next please!

Like everyone else, I'm mainly excited by the future Switch port implications of this announcement more than GrimGrimoire getting remastered. While I probably wouldn't triple-dip on Switch ports of Dragon's Crown or Odin Sphere, I definitely would on Muramasa.

Muramasa is the only Vanillaware game that I've never played in HD resolution on a big screen. So a Switch port would let me do that as well as enjoy it on my Switch OLED, Vita-style.

Actually, now that I'm seeing all of the enhancements being made to it I'm convinced that I'll actually buy this if it comes West.

1. I want to support Vanillaware.
2. The improvements and additions being made here are pretty significant, similar to how much of an improvement Leifthrasir was over the original Odin Sphere.

They love money and the Switch is where they find the most , this seems obvious but for other Japanese developers it seems like it isn’t. Also due to being published by NIS we for sure will get in the West even if later I expect it 9-12 months later than in Japan but with no physical or if there is it will be a limited release.
Oh it is NIS, we will get a physical and it will be out of stock and going for 100 dollars a few months later lol

Definitely interested even if NIS means digital and possibly sale in my book. Tho never heard of the game before, anyone mind posting gameplay of the original
I'll buy anything made by Vanillaware, I hope this get localised!
Also this, they seem to make interesting stuff

I thought the Odin Sphere remake was a dramatic improvement over the original, so I'm really excited for this. I never played the original and was actually eyeing it recently. So this is perfect.

I just want Muramasa Rebirth and Dragon's Crown tbh. And Princess Crown if they can swing english.

Man I'd kill for Princess Crown to get an English localized release. I'm so jealous of the JP-only PS4 port that came as a pre-order bonus with 13 Sentinels.

A piece of gaming hardware synonymous with life itself cannot die. It is written.

Ț̋ha̪͕̿̇ţ̤͔̿̆̈ ̫̲͔̖́̅̇̇͟͞ĩ̢͍̍̒͜͜͠s̡͓̣͎̱͒́͗͑̌ ͚̇n̗̝̖̂̄̇͒͢o͚̙̭̤̲̽̐̾̅͝t̛̳ ̬̮̈́͠ď͈͓̐é̙͇̍a̮͍͆̀d̹͚̻͎̜̾̎͌̈͡ ͍̠̣̈́̓͠w̢͍̞̐̽́h̦̘̺̓͑̈́͑͜i̭̿c̡̥̰̃͂̒h ̞̼͒́̂͜c̩̈̉͟ā̯͕̍n̪̅̒͟ ̮́è̬̘̖͍̑̐͝t̪̙͛̕e͇͎͓͗́͟͞͡r̤͖̺̈̑̈n̪̐͞ͅā̧̼͒͑͟ĺ̢͓̜̰̾̐͊͟͠ ̛͔̝̤̄̓̎͜ḻ̨̛̓͠ͅĭ̧͇̫͐̄̂͜e̗̫̦̅́́ ̫͖̤̍̒̂͊͜

Å̧ṅ̤d̡̡̺͙͙̓̈̀̾͠ ͙̩͉̿̑̕ẁ͈ï̢̥̥͈̄̈́̇t̮̔h̞̰͙̬͔͗̐̑͋͐ ̫̬̮̤̇͒͡͠s̭̩͌̔t̛͕̥̂r̲͓̈̔an̜̍g̫̱̯̃̌̊͟͠e̗̝͑̄ ̬̈́a̯͛e̻̟͗́ọ̥̮̿̀͗ns̡̪̞͑̎͡ ̛̠̰̳̃̏ḙ̯̮̎̒̊v͓̱̜̩̯̾͂̒̿͞e͔̪̎̆n̼͈̍͌ ̰͒͝ͅd̩͕̒̄͘ͅě̡ȧ̯̼͒̐ͅt̠͙͛̒h͉̲̦̀̾̿ ̳̲͒̒m͇͕̳͗̇͊a͈̰̐͝ÿ̛̞͍̮́̇ ̻̟͖͓́́̍̑di̪̒ẽ̩̮͌​

More to the topic, though, this is promising for the prospects of VanillaWare's library making its way onto the Switch series of consoles. I do hope 13 Sentinels and now GrimGrimoire is a sign of things to come.

Even if it looks like this will be a situation where one has to act fast to snag a physical.

I suspect the audience for Vanillaware's library is largely present on Switch.

I suspect the audience for Vanillaware's library is largely present on Switch.
NIS(A) themselves said that one of reason of their change of focus to the Switch instead of the PS ecosystem was due to the Vita audience in both Asia and the West adapting the Switch as their main platform.

Only thing is that future Vanillware titles have a decent chance of being published by Atlus which we all know it’s special to say the least when it comes to platforms.

Ran across a tweet with some relevant scans to supplement the Gematsu coverage from the OP.

Box art is nice.

GrimGrimoire-OnceMore_2022_04-14-22_031.png

Day 1 when it comes West, like every Vanillaware game. I'm really excited by the enhancements they're making to it. We might have an Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir situation on our hands where this is a massive improvement over the original.

Last edited:
Never heard about this game at all. The art looks GREAT, as always with Vanillaware. However, I find the gameplay part a bit 'messy', maybe because I just don't know what's going on lol.

I'm still surprised that GrimGrimoire is getting an expanded remaster later this year, especially since it is the most overlooked game in Vanillaware's small library. I've seen Grand Knights History, a PSP game that never released outside Japan, receive more acknowledgement then GrimGrimoire. Hopefully this release will do well enough that Kamitani can finally work on that sequel he wanted to do.

I'm still surprised that GrimGrimoire is getting an expanded remaster later this year, especially since it is the most overlooked game in Vanillaware's small library. I've seen Grand Knights History, a PSP game that never released outside Japan, receive more acknowledgement then GrimGrimoire. Hopefully this release will do well enough that Kamitani can finally work on that sequel he wanted to do.

Hopefully this also leads to an overseas release of princess crown. The animations are amazing.

Someone at NIS really likes pulling games off of Metacritic's top ten user scores for some reason. I suspect it's most likely going to be localized because of that.
FQQ--qfXEAkYnXW.jpg

Alongside this. They previously brought back ZHP and took the western localization rights to Crystar away from Spike Chunsoft.

Of course, like many other cases of user scores on the site. It's spammed up there....

and somehow managed to stay up there for over two years despite said video evidence.
For all the nonsensical discourse and rage that site generates despite the lack of security, i'm at least glad i was able to rescue some games this way.
Another fun Metacritic user score story, did you know that some random electrical company published that list as fact. Giving it a fancy infograph and everything?
9-best-reviewed-all-time-gamers.jpg

Hell of a moment, eh?

Back
Top Bottom