• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy Definitive Edition is so close!

9-Volt

Adept
Pronouns
he/him
So people at GTAForums have been digging the Rockstar PC launcher and found couple of interesting things: Logos for the games and new achievements (accomplishments the Launcher names)

logo.png

logo.png

logo.png

Note that Vice City logo is noticeably different from the original one so it's safe to assume these "remasters" are not the old stuff we know.

Let's remember what Kotaku report said:
  • They're all coming to Switch
  • They don't think there will be physical release
  • They're done in Unreal Engine 4 by Ruffian Games (Crackdown)
  • They say it's a mix of old and new graphics
  • UI is updated in HD (older versions used old UI)
  • One eyewitness says they reminded of them of some graphics mod for the games. There are plenty of graphics mods for these games and they all look really good.
  • They're supposed to launch either in October or November. Best guess is announcement on October 22nd, 20th anniversary of GTA3 and launch in November
Another neat thing to remember: This is a historic moment. DMA Design, makers of all 3D GTA games and Nintendo exclusive titles like Uniracers and Body Harvest was meant to be purchased by Nintendo but Nintendo changed their minds after seeing Body Harvest. And then they were snatched up by Rockstar. They return to home after 23 long years.

Almost everything leaking but the trailers

Achievement images also leaked, including one for San Andreas featuring Bigfoot. Could that mean these have some kind of new content?

excited to revisit vice city the most i think.

san andreas has the most room for potential as it was the most ambitious of the trilogy.

pretty hyped to finally play GTA on handheld

prepared to be let down when they release bare bones upres versions like skyward sword.

ofc rockstar could afford to do modest remakes with incredible returns but that doesnt sound like whats happening

Unless they significantly update the controls, I don't think I could replay these. They were rough. They kinda played like ass even for their time.

I'm looking forward to Vice City the most, but this thing can get fucked, lol. I'm really hoping for some QoL improvements.
sWD2Sp2.png

V is the only GTA campaign I have ever finished. I've messed around with most of them though. I'll give these a shot.

I can't wait, especially for San Andreas. It was a big game for my wife growing up, too. Pretty thrilled to be able to play it on Switch.

I use to watch my uncle play Vice City all the time when he was babysitting me, but was never allowed to play it myself. It would be fun to finally get my turn 19 years later.

Have some fond memories playing San Andreas multiplayer with a late friend of mine, so it could be fun revisiting it for a bit as well.

I think I’ll be waiting until some steep sales, though. These aren’t games I can see myself playing much, just long enough to scratch the itch.

Honest opinion I’ve never played a gta game. Are these any good? Assuming they are what makes them good?

I really hope these remasters feature mid-mission checkpoints or at least an easy way to immediately retry a mission after failure. GTA III in particular is unplayable for me in 2021 without these things.

Honest opinion I’ve never played a gta game. Are these any good? Assuming they are what makes them good?
You fuck around in a big open world city (3 cities + countryside in San Andreas), it's a bit wacky and there's multiple things to do outside of the main quest (especially in San Andreas)

Usually, the main story is diverse in term of objectives. It mostly involves killing a bunch of gangsters, but with some twist every now and then.

People mainly like GTA because of the freedom. You just fuck around, drive, imagine your own stories, it's good fun.

Played all three at the time, never completed one of them; definitely in for this!

GTA III is pretty much the reason I bought a PS2.

excited to revisit vice city the most i think.

san andreas has the most room for potential as it was the most ambitious of the trilogy.

pretty hyped to finally play GTA on handheld

prepared to be let down when they release bare bones upres versions like skyward sword.

ofc rockstar could afford to do modest remakes with incredible returns but that doesnt sound like whats happening
I hope the re-releases are as barebones as skyward sword.

Definitive editions say to me that these should have complete soundtracks. I also hope they update the gameplay so it feels a bit more modern. Other than that, really looking forward to playing these again in portable mode!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch version won't be mentioned at all in the announcement and will come a year later or so. The usual 3rd party treatment of games on Nintendo platforms.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch version won't be mentioned at all in the announcement and will come a year later or so. The usual 3rd party treatment of games on Nintendo platforms.
Its sad, but yeah until this is actually announced it seems to good to be true for the Switch version to show up the same time as the others, not being a Cloud version and running on UE4.

Learned my lesson after LiS True Colors.

Just in case, the Kotaku report which leaked the trilogy with many details that are slowly becoming confirmed, affirmed that the Switch version would release alongside the other console versions this november. It's the PC and mobile versions that aren't releasing until 2022.

Quoted by: pld
Just in case, the Kotaku report which leaked the trilogy with many details that are slowly becoming confirmed, affirmed that the Switch version would release alongside the other console versions this november. It's the PC and mobile versions that aren't releasing until 2022.
I am aware of Kotaku's report and yet I would not be surprised the slighest if the Switch version was somehow missing from the official announcement because reasons.

GTA got less and less exciting for me with each release. I loved GTA 3 to death. It was also the first game I ever really modded. Gta Vice City i still enjoyed but already way less. Gta San Andreas was then really disappointing for me. But i look forward to revisit GTA 3.

How likely is it we get the Phil Collins performance of In The Air Tonight again in the VC re-release?

Fuck I hope they can keep the soundtracks as is, maybe add a few more songs too

Quoted by: GJ
How likely is it we get the Phil Collins performance of In The Air Tonight again in the VC re-release?

Fuck I hope they can keep the soundtracks as is, maybe add a few more songs too

Wasn't that Vice City Stories?

Wasn't that Vice City Stories?

Ah shit, didn't realize that's where the video I saw was from. So I guess we're not getting an updated concert visual of that then, eh?

Quoted by: GJ
Worst-kept secret, but I can't wait to see these. Any news on if they'll have multiplayer? Cross play even?

Quoted by: VHS
Ah shit, didn't realize that's where the video I saw was from. So I guess we're not getting an updated concert visual of that then, eh?

Just looked it up and it was indeed VCS. That sucks, now that you mentioned it I want it, haha.

Worst-kept secret, but I can't wait to see these. Any news on if they'll have multiplayer? Cross play even?
highly doubt it, the originals didnt have any multiplayer right? Most I expect is some promotional event in GTA Online with some PS2 era outfits and cars.

Loved Vice City and San Andreas. They actually felt like they had a theme to them being set in previous time periods. It gives the games a certain style and appeal that the modern ones lack despite all their bells and whistles.

news to me! (also cool avatar! looks familiar ;) )

Aha, thanks! My top three anticipated Nintendo games of the year at the time and soon by Friday I'll have 'em all. Tho I should have included WarioWare.

GTA finally coming to Switch will be big thing, I wouldn't be surprised if Switch version be best selling version (counting biggest install base and point there will not be GTA V any time soon on Switch).

I remember playing Vice City Stories on psp lol. These games are ancient but it'll still be awesome playing them on switch.

I hope other olds GTAs come too, like a trilogy portable pack (Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories and Chinatown Wars) and GTA IV complete edition with the 2 DLC stories.

Back
Top Bottom