• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Grain of Salt: Spanish Twitter user who leaked Metroid Dread in early 2021 hints at another 2D Metroid game by MercurySteam in 2025

For what's worth, and take this with several grains of salt, everyone semiconnected in the Spanish games media world had heard about Mercury Steam working on a Metroid game a couple years before Samus Returns happened. No one actually published it because of obvious Nintendo Ninja reasons, but talking to them one on one, they'd always drop that fact.

This guy knowing this in advance wouldn't be surprising to me.

I don't doubt another Mercury Steam 2D Metroid will happen; it's more a question of whether or not it'll be a new game or a remake of Super or Fusion. As much as I think Super Metroid is as close to a perfect game as can be, I'd love to see what MS could do with it. Maybe give it a more appropriate title. Like, is the grown Metroid hatchling called a "Super Metroid" and that's where the original title comes from? Or was it really just a result of the dumb naming convention of the time? (I like to believe the former).

I don't doubt another Mercury Steam 2D Metroid will happen; it's more a question of whether or not it'll be a new game or a remake of Super or Fusion. As much as I think Super Metroid is as close to a perfect game as can be, I'd love to see what MS could do with it. Maybe give it a more appropriate title. Like, is the grown Metroid hatchling called a "Super Metroid" and that's where the original title comes from? Or was it really just a result of the dumb naming convention of the time? (I like to believe the former).

You know Samus, this Metroid is really... Super.

What do you mean with concluded?
They could go into so many directions.
Could even invent some new abilities for Smaus with where the story was headed.
I don't see what about it you could see as final other than finally being anew game after all those years.

Also doing a game before Zero mission would be kinda weird cause as far as I know that was her first mission as a private contractor.
They’re gonna have to seriously nerf Samus’ (Dread spoilers) Metroid powers somehow. Even before the finale, her powers were overwhelming. It wouldn’t be much fun if nothing could pose any kind of a threat to Samus for the entire game!

I know people don't like remasters, and it doesn't have to fill the rumored 2025 slot, but I want to play Samus Returns 3DS remake on the Switch with improved fps and visuals.

They’re gonna have to seriously nerf Samus’ (Dread spoilers) Metroid powers somehow. Even before the finale, her powers were overwhelming. It wouldn’t be much fun if nothing could pose any kind of a threat to Samus for the entire game!
Metroid Dread spoilers: Samus's absorption of Quiet Robe X seems to have restored her to her previous, pre-OP state. Then again, Fusion's finale sees her regaining Ice Beam functionality, which Dread seems to ignore, so MercurySteam appears dead set on making things up as they go along. Personally, I'd love to play as a Samus with more overt "superpowers", provided they were well implemented. The evolutionary line of SR388 Metroids (of which Aeion is believed to factor into) results in the incorporation of electricity and fire attacks, so maybe they could do something with that. The left hand zaps, while the Arm Cannon blasts? Samus could also go down a path of her own, unique "evolution", leading to basically any cool powers or abilities the devs can think of, even supernatural ones (considering this is a series with ghosts, aliens with the ability to see into the future, dimension-splitting radioactive blue stuff, and so on).

I want to believe...

2025 seems fairly realistic if true. Standard dev cycle and all that. The real question is if it's a sequel to Dread or a remake (leaning towards remake myself, because they did originally want to remake Fusion if memory serves).

I want to see what the next "story arc" is.
Bring it back full circle:

"The last Metroid is in captivity"

You are Samus Aran, the last Metroid. You have to break out of the containment facility you've been imprisoned in by the Federation (somehow, don't ask).

The grown Metroid is the Super Metroid (the manual/Nintendo Power/etc. all refer to it as that), and the game is named after it, because, well, you know why

Happily enough, it does line up well with the general naming conventions of the era too, but the name is absolutely appropriate for the story it is trying to tell (and more relevant to the plot than "Return of Samus" which is more like a sequel announcement than anything to do with the story itself).

I mean,

Those powers come with a heavy caveat: they're heavily addicting and if she fully uses them and regains the Metroid form, she literally becomes stuck on whatever planet she's on. That could in itself be a good mechanic, akin to the Phazon of the Prime series. An incredible and game breaking power that if abused will determentally affect the palyer.

It's a safe assumption given Dread's success. But it's far away, so I hope in the meanwhile we will get a HD port of Samus Returns, maybe with some of the changes Dread made, like not stoping when countering. The game deserves to shine, it's launch was pretty unfortunate.

I don't believe for a second this source has actual info, just a educated guess masquerading as a leak, that said I think it's a solid educated guess for sure. Nintendo kept greenlighting Metroid games in the 2000's even though they had much less success than Dread. Not to mention Sakamoto himself illuded to a future game even before Dread released, so clearly he has interest. And somehow I doubt MercurySteam would turn down the chance to make a follow up to one of their best received and selling titles.

I'm gonna say I believe for sure it's a new brand new game, not a remake of Super or some other title. Prime 4's gonna almost certainly be out before the next 2D game, so there's no need for a 2D gap filler. Gonna be doubly true if the Prime 1 remaster gets confirmed, which not only could fill the gap till Prime 4, but could also lead into Prime 2 & 3 getting redone in the not to distant future. Those would buy Nintendo plenty of time to make not only Metroid 6, but perhaps even the next set of Metroid titles beyond that.

I don't see the need for a remake of Super or Fusion right now when Prime remasters would make for good gap fillers. And I imagine would be less resource intensive seeing as they could reuse so much of the coding, story, and level design straight from the OG Prime titles with no major alterations needed. I however don't see a way of doing Super & Fusion with all the mechanics and 3D visuals from Samus Returns & Dread without needing to spend more time and money on them than Prime remasters. I think it would make more sense to save those as projects to do in another five to ten years, after Prime Trilogy's been brought up to modern standards.

The amount of people who wish for a remake is upsetting to me. I don't see myself ever being a person who's like "Yeah! A new game in the series came out! Hope next one is a remake of an old one that I have to wait for 3 years!"
Especially if we're taking Metroid. Ever since Super those games are, like, timeless.

I do wish new Metroid goes a bit into Super/Fusion direction of body horror that Dread and Primes have largely forgotten about. Remember Crocomire's death or how Draygon looks? The Nightmare?! Gimme more of that shit!
Still think that turning a fairly interesting, even if hilariously colorcoded, design of Metroid Prime into Dark Samus is a dumb idea. At least in Echoes you could feel that her suit is just flesh (she had claws and toes on it), but Corruption just felt so clinical...

Bring it back full circle:

"The last Metroid is in captivity"

You are Samus Aran, the last Metroid. You have to break out of the containment facility you've been imprisoned in by the Federation (somehow, don't ask).
Metroid: Carrion

Cold take tbh

Seeing "2025" makes my brain go "omg that's so far away, that's the future lol" than I remember it's 2023.

That said it's not unlikely at all a new 2D Metroid is coming, and I'd totally take it. Dread was phenomenal.

This was exactly my reaction lol. 2025 isn't that far out and that's pretty mental

I know people don't like remasters, and it doesn't have to fill the rumored 2025 slot, but I want to play Samus Returns 3DS remake on the Switch with improved fps and visuals.
You know, that one could come wasayyyy earlier than 2025. But I feel like Metroid franchise already has enough to fill everything until then.
Metroid Prime Remake - 2023
Metroid Prime 4 - 2024
Metroid 6/Dread 2 - 2025
I don't know where a Samus Returns remaster would fit. Unless it happens something like Samus Returns cross gen and Metroid 6 Switch 2 only in 2025 releasing like 6 months apart.

It could come as as filler for dry months tho as it wouldn't require near as much work as a new 2D Metroid or a ground up remake would, it looks great on Citra already, up-res, 60FPS and some texture work, if we're lucky a new Samus model with better geometry, and it's a Switch game.

You know I liked Samus Returns but I feel like after Dread they would really have to rework the controls and do something about the variety.
The Metroid fights get really repetitive after a while.
The games biggest issue is that it's a remake of Metroid 2 and if you change that up it might aswell be a new game.

I'd rather have a totally new game.

Back
Top Bottom