• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Grain of Salt: Spanish Twitter user who leaked Metroid Dread in early 2021 hints at another 2D Metroid game by MercurySteam in 2025

If I remember correctly, yes, there was some spanish folk that talked about both Samus Returns and Dread way, way back but... didn't that happen before 2020, and by some anon, I think back on the other site? What I'm trying to say it's that I'm not so sure this one is the folk that leaked both games (and, if so, this is just some random twitter account which, taking a look at its "leaks"... well... I'd not give it any credit whatsoever).

That said... yes, Dread was a comercial and critical success and a new one it's to be expected, and a development of ~4 years is what it took MS for Dread, so, yeah, I'd say it's a safe, safe bet to take for a random "Twitter leak account".

Literal bottom of the page, so I'll quote it here just to point to the huge amounts of salt that may have to be taken in this case.

I will take a grain of salt because I think it’s too soon for a new 2D Metroid. In my mind 2025 is the year of Metroid Prime 4.

2025 would be 4 years since Dread was released. How long do you think the gap between games should be? 4 years is also the time between Samus Returns and Dread.

I would definitely expect a new 2D Metroid to be somewhere in the works, and MercurySteam seems a safe bet, and the timeframe is reasonable. It's incredibly safe, as far as predictions go, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Though, while I haven't been following this tweeter's exploits, it's sounding as though they aren't exactly reliable by any reasonable stretch?

Even so, upcoming 2D Metroid. Book it.

Sounds perfectly reasonable. Same 4 year dev cycle as Dread.

God I hope that it’s not for the current Switch though… Still being stuck with the same aging hardware by 2025 would just be utterly miserable…

I mean, yeah metroid dread was a success so we're probably getting a new game sometime in the future and 4 years is standard. Kind of a nothing leak really.

Kinda hoped that their next game is Castlevania in the same 2,5D style as Mirror of Fate. If there's one studio to revive CV franchise, that's MercurySteam. I don't like Metroid universe at all...
They already had their chance with that though. Castlevania needs to go to someone else imo

Honestly more then a remake of Super or Fusion, what I want is Metroid 6. I want to know where the story goes now that Samus is MAJOR METROID DREAD SPOILERS The Last Metroid. I want to see what the next "story arc" is.
In the Chozo language, Metroid means
"Ultimate Warrior", so it makes sense that Samus is the last Metroid. But she's not in captivity.
The galaxy can't be at peace.

Seeing "2025" makes my brain go "omg that's so far away, that's the future lol" than I remember it's 2023.

That said it's not unlikely at all a new 2D Metroid is coming, and I'd totally take it. Dread was phenomenal.

Sounds good to me! Sakamoto is definitely more focused after getting his baby Metroid 5 out into the world and it was incredible.

Metroid Prime Remastered: 2023
Metroid Prime 4: 2024
Metroid Dread 2: 2025/26
Metroid fans: Feasting

As an aside, would be nice to see MercurySteam try their hand at another 2D Nintendo franchise someday, Kid Icarus maybe?

Metroid Prime Remastered: 2023
Metroid Prime 4: 2024
Metroid Dread 2: 2025/26
Metroid fans: Feasting

As an aside, would be nice to see MercurySteam try their hand at another 2D Nintendo franchise someday, Kid Icarus maybe?
well i would certainly hope a kid icarus game by them wouldn't be 2d but yeah id love to see it. I think they will do a great job with action games so i can totally see kid icarus working. I could say star fox but sf will never work

It's a shame that Nintendo couldn't have taken a bigger stake in MercurySteam rather than the Nordisk Firm given some of the structural issues mentioned with the company during Dread's development. They did wonders with Retro 20 years ago on a similar issue, and Nintendo arguably needs more development studios under their belt even if partnering has been their preferred interaction most of the time and the studio hadn't quite proved itself with Dread yet.

That said, I'll gladly take more 2D Metroid at every opportunity I get. Though I'd prefer if Prime got the focus for a couple years with a Trilogy (damn the idea of JUST a Prime 1 remake) and Metroid Prime 4 finally coming out. But to have those along with a new 2D from MercurySteam would be essentially reaching about the same heights as the early 2000s era with consistent 2D and 3D releases across a couple years.

Ah yes, here comes my Raven Beak prequel METROID CHOZEN.

i used to hate the idea of a Fusion remake, but after Dread? like can you even imagine Fusion done in the style of Dread? It would be incredible.

Nah, I don't like the structure of Fusion at all, and Samus Returns showed how much a remake is beholden to the shortcomings of the original. Unless the entire game is jettisoned outside of the concepts of SA-X and X parasites (in which case it would hardly be a remake), I'd prefer not to have Fusion remade.

Yeah, this doesn’t say a whole lot. The 2D Metroid developer is making another 2D Metroid, targeting the same development time as the previous 2D Metroid? Not exactly a surprise.

Even if this is legit, it’s way too early to definitively lock down 2025, could easily slip beyond that.

Dread and Returns were known about years before reveal, so this wouldn't be shocking. Could be looking at something like:

Prime 1R - 2023
Prime 4 - 2024
Metroid 6 - 2025
Prime 2R/3R - 202X

if true i personally think it would be another remake, most likely fusion

Not big on the idea of making it another remake, but MercurySteam did --
Reminder Mercury Steam actually originally pitched a remake of Fusion before Samus Returns.
Right. What she said.

In any case, I could see the potential to take some ideas that would go into a Fusion remake and create a new entry. For the older games, I keep requesting a classic Metroid (1-4) collection, where games that have been remade include both the original and the remake, but nobody listens.

I want Mercury Stream to evolve Metroid to a 3D/2D linear game, like a mix of Dread with some sections of Other M.
There was potential in some of the ideas behind Other M. Some of the game design could be explored and tinkered with.
Or directly make a 3D Souls like game
There's some overlap, there, so something that could be considered along those lines could be made to work. It should definitely be designed as Metroid first were that ever to happen.
Nintendo if wants can push Metroid to be an annual per FY IP like Mario or Zelda.
Potentially. There are a lot of angles that could be explored, even while keeping the series decidedly Metroid.

Kinda hoped that their next game is Castlevania in the same 2,5D style as Mirror of Fate. If there's one studio to revive CV franchise, that's MercurySteam. I don't like Metroid universe at all...
Kid Icarus and Metroid were siblings, essentially, built with overlap of team and engine. Clearly that's the next target.
Do you see that title? Nintendo's already contacted them about turning it into Star Fox. Truly, Nintendo was the Raiders of the Lost Planet all along.

If they aren't already at work on the sequel, that'd be the surprising thing.

It seemed like one of Sakamoto's woes was finding a worthy co-collaborator to realize his vision with Metroid, after his venture with Team Ninja didn't really go as well as hoped. He found one in MercurySteam. It only makes sense to continue in that vein. Especially after Dread did so well.

I will take a grain of salt because I think it’s too soon for a new 2D Metroid. In my mind 2025 is the year of Metroid Prime 4.
Dread came out in 2021 and unless it'll be a native 4K game on the next Switch I don't think it's too far fetched.

Grain of salt indeed. Sorry but I'm not putting much stock into someone pinning down a year that far in advance. It's also not that out there of a guess so even if it turns out right (eventually) it's not necessarily indicative of insider knowledge

It's a shame that Nintendo couldn't have taken a bigger stake in MercurySteam rather than the Nordisk Firm given some of the structural issues mentioned with the company during Dread's development. They did wonders with Retro 20 years ago on a similar issue, and Nintendo arguably needs more development studios under their belt even if partnering has been their preferred interaction most of the time and the studio hadn't quite proved itself with Dread yet.

That said, I'll gladly take more 2D Metroid at every opportunity I get. Though I'd prefer if Prime got the focus for a couple years with a Trilogy (damn the idea of JUST a Prime 1 remake) and Metroid Prime 4 finally coming out. But to have those along with a new 2D from MercurySteam would be essentially reaching about the same heights as the early 2000s era with consistent 2D and 3D releases across a couple years.
i think its fine. mp4 has monopolized metroid convos since its announcement in 2017.

Now that Dread has concluded the story arc, couldn't we imagine the next game as a prequel telling what happened before Metroid 1/Zero Mission?
It could still take place after Dread, all Dread did was conclude the Metroid creatures arc so it will do something new. Sakamoto did say that he has ideas for post-Dread stories for 2D Metroid.

Now that Dread has concluded the story arc, couldn't we imagine the next game as a prequel telling what happened before Metroid 1/Zero Mission?

I'd always envisioned Dread as being the start of a new story, following up from the original arc, with some different ways that could go.

What you're describing is Retro Studios' ill-fated (never begun) Metroid Tactics.

Alternatively, we could be looking at Federation Detective Club:
Detective Samus: Point and click adventure prequel to Metroid 1. Taking place during her time with the Federation Police, Samus is tasked with following the breadcrumbs in the aftermath of a Space Pirate raid gone wrong, ultimately unraveling yet another conspiracy. Minimal action scenes. Mostly lore and character focused. Mauk and Kreatz from the manga assist Samus in her investigation.

PM5AyIK.jpg

The galaxy can't be at peace.
That's the secret.
The galaxy will never be at peace.
The galaxy can never be at peace.
Even when it is, it's a facade.

2D Metroid is the only type of Metroid that I recognize, and I would be thrilled to have another one in a couple years.

Especially because I think Samus has never controlled better than when her games came under the purview of Mercury Steam.

It could still take place after Dread, all Dread did was conclude the Metroid creatures arc so it will do something new. Sakamoto did say that he has ideas for post-Dread stories for 2D Metroid.
Whatever they decide to do, I'm sure it will be very good. And you're right Sakamoto clearly said he has ideas about the sequel. It's just that I think there's really interesting material for a prequel.

I'd always envisioned Dread as being the start of a new story, following up from the original arc, with some different ways that could go.

What you're describing is Retro Studios' ill-fated (never begun) Metroid Tactics.
Anyway, if the success of Dread really allows the license to grow and become more important in the long term, there is a lot of story to tell and a lot of possible ways to do it. For example, an animated series about Samus' childhood, which would take up and develop the story of the manga, would be great.

I mean I've always put a new 2D Metroid from Mercury Steam by 2025, that's 4 years after Dread and Dread took 4 years to make lol. He can have sources and know that for sure, yes, but it isn't something hard to predict.

Hope it's a brand new game and not a Fusion remake, as I'm dying to see what new arch will be introduced on the next game, also I'm a lover of Dread and I need a sequel. I would eat and love a Fusion remake any day tho.
Wouldn't that be a little too soon after Metroid Prime 4, assuming MP4 releases in 2024 as a cross-gen title with the Drake?
It was always the plan. Actually the plan initially might've been Dread in 2021, Prime Remake in 2022 and Prime 4 in 2023.
I know that. I meant from a release standpoint. MP 4 in 2024 followed by Metroid 6 in 2025 may be to aggressive for an IP that is not one of Nintendo's heavy hitters.
Fire Emblem isn't one of Nintendo heavy hitters if we consider heavy hitters the sales monsters that 3D Zelda, Super Mario, Mario Kart, AC, Splatoon, etc. Yet, it's been getting games almost on a early basis since 2016(Fates, Echoes/Warriors, Three Houses, Three Houses expansion, Three Hopes, Engage, only years that missed having a game were 2018 which as supposed to have TH and 2021 which had the anniversary release of the first game). Kirby before Forgotten Land was mostly a series that sold on the same range as Metroid, and never ceased to be annual. Nintendo is very interested in growing their IPs sales, and it clearly worked for Kirby, FE and Xenoblade. Metroid that is also a classic IP from NES is also a priority by them, and Dread sold more than any Xenoblade and than any Fire Emblem sans Three Houses. Not letting the IP cool down with annual or bi annual releases is a good thing.

I could dig a "Souls" Metroid (but to be frank Elden Ring did kill my love for the genre... even if its a great game) if it makes sense regarding the story / gameplay mecanics.

Imagine this :
Back when Kensuke Tanabe said that Prime 4 could arrive or on the "NX" and he had ideas for time travel. To justify Samus dying and coming back to life each time she fails, she could be trapped in a time travel loop and we could have a Nintendo spin on the formula, aka not just a "Souls like" since Metroid don't feature XP points or skill trees or farming items to upgrade your weapon to a +10 level, so dying would not punish the player too harsly (hello Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, 2 and Hollow Knight who also punish your health bar or your ability to heal because you died, that's so FUN).

It could also implement the checkpoint before bosses & danger zones (like the E.M.M.I. doors that makes a checkpoint each time you pass through it).

I mean, this seems like the most obvious thing ever...

-Dread is announced to huge waves of excitement and steals the show at E3 2021
-Prerelease interviews show an extremely confident Sakamoto with a renewed vigor for the series, and high praise for MS
-Dread releases to fantastic critical and fan reception
-Dread goes onto become the best selling Metroid game in just a few months
-Sakamoto basically confirms a Metroid 6 and a new story arc in post release interviews
-A four year development cycle for an ambitious 2D game on new hardware seems reasonable

But then again, it's Metroid, and you just never know, especially with mainline entries. Sakamoto is 63 and will be 66 in 2025, I have to wonder how many more Metroid games he has left in him with how long games take to develop these days. But with his renewed vigor for the series it seems like he's full force ahead with the series.

I have a hot leak, there'll be a new Paper Mario around 2024-2025.

It was always the plan. Actually the plan initially might've been Dread in 2021, Prime Remake in 2022 and Prime 4 in 2023.
Right, there's a remake to buffer out 2 mainline Metroid games. I don't see a problem with that timeline. I just think that Nintendo may want to space out two mainline Metroid games (MP4 and M6) more than a year.

I mean, this seems like the most obvious thing ever...

-Dread is announced to huge waves of excitement and steals the show at E3 2021
-Prerelease interviews show an extremely confident Sakamoto with a renewed vigor for the series, and high praise for MS
-Dread releases to fantastic critical and fan reception
-Dread goes onto become the best selling Metroid game in just a few months
-Sakamoto basically confirms a Metroid 6 and a new story arc in post release interviews
-A four year development cycle for an ambitious 2D game on new hardware seems reasonable

But then again, it's Metroid, and you just never know, especially with mainline entries. Sakamoto is 63 and will be 66 in 2025, I have to wonder how many more Metroid games he has left in him with how long games take to develop these days. But with his renewed vigor for the series it seems like he's full force ahead with the series.
I wonder if Sakamoto is preparing his succession to ensure the future of Metroid. Takehiko Hosokawa is younger than him and seems a natural choice, but he is already 55.

What do you mean with concluded?
They could go into so many directions.
Could even invent some new abilities for Smaus with where the story was headed.
I don't see what about it you could see as final other than finally being anew game after all those years.

Also doing a game before Zero mission would be kinda weird cause as far as I know that was her first mission as a private contractor.

Of course, there is still a lot of stories to tell and Dread opens up exciting perspectives, that's obvious. I'm just saying that I've wanted to know more about what happens before Zero Mission for a long time. That can be done in other ways than a video game, but it could as well be told in a game. For example, to explain more about why and how she became a private contractor.

Right, there's a remake to buffer out 2 mainline Metroid games. I don't see a problem with that timeline. I just think that Nintendo may want to space out two mainline Metroid games (MP4 and M6) more than a year.
They see 3D and 2D Metroid as different things, games that are enough different for each other to make for the two coming close to each other. I'm pretty sure there were 3D and 2D Zelda games releasing close to each other? I know of NSMBU and 3D World coming in consecutive years.

Before the reboot, the Bamco MP4 was expected as a 2019/2020 game, original plan might've been MP4 in 2020 and Dread in 2021.

There's the chance of MP4 being Switch 1 on holiday 2024 and 2D Metroid being Switch 2 only on holiday 2025, or maybe both cross gen but 2 being more marketed for 2, idk.

They made three Castlevania games of middling quality. Konami used to have incredible in house development teams, that's undeniable. But they have a history of not bringing out the best in their third party partners who develop their IP. Look at Contra, Castlevania, Metal Gear, and especially Silent HIll. Nintendo, on the other hand, help their third party partners who work on their IP shine, and there's no better proof of that than Metroid Dread.

Yeah this wouldn’t be a big surprise, wonder if Nintendo will end up eventually purchasing Mercury Steam as they would be a neat addition to their studio line up and could focus on 2D Action/Adventure games.

Nintendo isn't interested in buying anyone. They only bought Next Level cause they were kind of forced to.

2D Metroid from MercurySteam was one of the worst kept secrets from 2020-2021. It's very possible, but I wouldn't put any stock in this particular source or rumor, especially considering they announced their next game was not for Nintendo.

There are several instances of them working on two projects at the same time, so this isn't really a concern to me.

I know that. I meant from a release standpoint. MP 4 in 2024 followed by Metroid 6 in 2025 may be to aggressive for an IP that is not one of Nintendo's heavy hitters.

Why not? Nintendo has no problem shoving Fire Emblem down our throats constantly. They're trying to grow the IP.

Magine if we get Dread, remaster, Prime 4 and then another 2D Metroid. One might call that "Metroidmania"

I never thought we would get another Metroid renaissance like we did in the 00's, but we might just be living in one now. It's glorious!

You mean like a game that covers the events of the Manga? That could be interesting, but we had to wait 19 years to move the story forward, I really don't want it to go backwards again already.

If they aren't already at work on the sequel, that'd be the surprising thing.

It seemed like one of Sakamoto's woes was finding a worthy co-collaborator to realize his vision with Metroid, after his venture with Team Ninja didn't really go as well as hoped. He found one in MercurySteam. It only makes sense to continue in that vein. Especially after Dread did so well.

It's weird to me why barely anyone in EPD work on Metroid outside of Sakamoto's small group. I would have to think there are some younger employees who would love to work on Metroid. And Nintendo has to consider who is going to take over the reigns of the series when Sakamoto retires. Hopefully the series continues to grow and Nintendo makes it more of a priority internally.

As soon as Metroid Dread was both a critical and commercial success, this seemed inevitable.

Let's just hope it doesn't fall into the same trap that Samus Returns did by releasing on Nintendo's old hardware when a new system is commercially available.

I wonder if Sakamoto is preparing his succession to ensure the future of Metroid. Takehiko Hosokawa is younger than him and seems a natural choice, but he is already 55.

Nintendo has to be considering this for all their series really. The old guard is only getting older... But yeah, it's most concerning for Metroid, as not a lot of internal employees work on it.

Makes sense. I'd probably think they'd be working on another 2D Metroid to come after Prime 4.

Back
Top Bottom