• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Good licensed games on Nintendo platforms

PixelKnight

Observing the process
Pronouns
He/Him
A discussion about the sheer pressure some licensed games were made under in the 90s had Goldeneye raised as the opposite example- a licensed game that wasn’t rushed, and came out two years after the film.

There are some great licensed games I could name off the top of my head, the ones that stick in my memory due to good word of mouth or being fun to play, some of those games are a bit more accessible too due to various compilations etc. Capcom made loads in the 90s, notably the Disney ones. Then there’s TMNT that’s having a revival with the great recent brawler. The history of superhero games has been a bit spotty until relatively recently though, with loads sitting in the licensing limbo of dead or merged companies and rights that means we likely won’t see them again.

For every licensed gem there’s a pile of shovelware, but back then the definition of it could be licensed games made on a shoestring budget and in a ridiculously small amount of time, and shoved out for full price by a major publisher to tie-in with a movie or craze. All that stuff still exists (as a parent I often see the stuff tying in to stuff my kid likes that the games media doesn’t cover as it’s largely terrible) but it’s been interesting in particular to see the superhero stuff either go to AAA or free-to-play mobile stuff with little in-between, as they can’t just churn them out in quite the same way any more- there’s more expectation of what your £40 gets you in regard to monolithic IP these days.

Still, what I’m interested in here is the gems on Nintendo platforms. What examples are there of licensed games that were good? Let’s list some here!

Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
SunSoft made this after their first NES Batman was a tie-in to the 1989 film, and it’s a much stronger game for the freedom to take from the comics instead (something the striking cover art leaned into).

Darkwing Duck (NES/GB)
Capcom’s games were great for this kind of stuff. I had the GB version as I loved the cartoon, but it’s not far off the NES version, in much the same way that the Duck Tales games are great on both too.

Thor: God of Thunder (DS)
WayForward’s pixel art on solid form with a 2D brawler here, an example of where portable versions of licensed games ended up being a more arcadey, immediate iteration that still stands out after the AAA 3D version is long forgotten.

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (3DS)
The pick of the bunch from the launch lineup to me, and a real odd duck. A different game from the Ghost Recon shooters on consoles, this is more of an SRPG, worked on by Julian Gollup of X-com fame. So it’s a launch game by Ubisoft, you’d think that would have made it highly visable, but it both looks like a DS title and the GR branding probably put off more people than it attracted. It’s story is nothing special (and leans hard into sci-fi towards the end) and the characters are stock action movie cliches, but the gameplay is really, really good. If you like squad tactics games and things like cover and overwatch mechanics appeal to you.

Last edited:
King Kong on GameCube was my first thought
Yeah that was cool.

One that I always think of when I think
‘Gamecube licensed games’ was Lord of the Rings: The Third Age. Published on multiplat by EA as a tie-in to the films, they grabbed a fresh fellowship-esque party of new characters and ran it through the medium of… Final Fantasy X! A move both fitting and inspired even though it was clearly rushed and rough around the edges.

My first thought would be Goof Troop (SNES), which to my knowledge is one of the few Disney-licensed games to not be re-released, unlike stuff in the Disney Afternoon Collection.

Thank you for reading.

s-l600.jpg

U.N. Squadron (Capcom, 1991)

A bit of a roundabout on this one, as some may not even be aware that this is a licensed title. Released to the arcades on Capcom's CPS system in 1989, it is based on the manga series Area 88 by Kaoru Shintani (which is also the name that the game was released under in Japan) about a Japanese airline pilot tricked into fighting in the civil war raging in a fictional Middle Eastern country, which had concluded three years prior to the game's release. Befitting the game's setting, this is a shoot-em-up, though unlike Capcom's 1942 and 1943: The Battle of Midway, this uses horizontal rather than vertical scrolling. The game features three characters from the series, protagonist Shin Kazama and fellow pilots Mickey Simon and Greg Gates, and while the three use different planes and have different abilities in the arcade version, the SNES port allows players to purchase various planes for them to fly using money gained from missions. It's a very solid horizontal shmup that is generally regarded as one of the best early SNES games and holds up well today.

I think this is the first time I've seen someone say that Return of the Joker is a stronger game than the first Batman game on NES. I enjoy it more than most, but I just cant agree with it being a stronger game.

Here are some other strong licensed games on the NES not Disney:
Little Nemo (Capcom)
Willow (Capcom)
GI Joe (Taxan)
Bucky o Hare (konami)
Gremlins 2 (Sunsoft)

91kydsc56oL._SL1500_.jpg

Donald in Maui Mallard (SNES)

Bit of an obscure one here, but Donald in Maui Mallard (or Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow in the USA, because the marketing department was afraid that Donald was not cool enough for American audiences at the time) is more than worthy of attention. It's a platforming game in which Donald "plays" Maui Mallard, a Magnum P.I.-esque detective who travels to a tropical island to retrieve a missing idol that supposedly has magical powers. During his quest he gains a ninja alter ego called Cold Shadow (because it's the 90s and everything needs to have something ninja-related in it); in gameplay terms, this translates to Maui having two completely different movesets that can be swapped on the fly (barring a couple of levels in which one form or the other is mandatory).

The game looks and plays great and it has an absolute banger of a soundtrack provided mainly by Michael Giacchino a few years before he got his big break in Hollywood.

I think this is the first time I've seen someone say that Return of the Joker is a stronger game than the first Batman game on NES. I enjoy it more than most, but I just cant agree with it being a stronger game.

Here are some other strong licensed games on the NES not Disney:
Little Nemo (Capcom)
Willow (Capcom)
GI Joe (Taxan)
Bucky o Hare (konami)
Gremlins 2 (Sunsoft)
Fair point on Batman, to each their own! Gremlins 2- I played that on GB and dear lord it was so hard, I don’t think I ever made it past level 3. So many GB games you could clear in around 20 minutes once you knew them.

s-l600.jpg

U.N. Squadron (Capcom, 1991)

A bit of a roundabout on this one, as some may not even be aware that this is a licensed title. Released to the arcades on Capcom's CPS system in 1989, it is based on the manga series Area 88 by Kaoru Shintani (which is also the name that the game was released under in Japan) about a Japanese airline pilot tricked into fighting in the civil war raging in a fictional Middle Eastern country, which had concluded three years prior to the game's release. Befitting the game's setting, this is a shoot-em-up, though unlike Capcom's 1942 and 1943: The Battle of Midway, this uses horizontal rather than vertical scrolling. The game features three characters from the series, protagonist Shin Kazama and fellow pilots Mickey Simon and Greg Gates, and while the three use different planes and have different abilities in the arcade version, the SNES port allows players to purchase various planes for them to fly using money gained from missions. It's a very solid horizontal shmup that is generally regarded as one of the best early SNES games and holds up well today.
I was only aware of the origins of UN Squadron many years later, I picked it up as I liked Shmups and trusted Capcom more than pretty much any other developer at the time, even Nintendo. The value of branding, I guess! I just thought it was cool at the time that planes had a damage bar and could take a few hits rather than the one-hit-kills of Gradius, R-type etc.

Fair point on Batman, to each their own! Gremlins 2- I played that on GB and dear lord it was so hard, I don’t think I ever made it past level 3. So many GB games you could clear in around 20 minutes once you knew them.

Yeah some of the GB Licensed games were just one very short sitting.. even the first time you played them :p
I remember the first turtles game, I think it was 30 or so minutes.. I was almost shocked hehe

Gremlins 2 is a great game, Sunsoft really were amazing at what they did back then.

Yeah some of the GB Licensed games were just one very short sitting.. even the first time you played them :p
I remember the first turtles game, I think it was 30 or so minutes.. I was almost shocked hehe

Gremlins 2 is a great game, Sunsoft really were amazing at what they did back then.
Hah, yeah.

It wasn’t even just the licensed games being short on GB, I always remember Contra: Operation C (or, confusingly, Probotector as it was called here, the same as the NES and Megadrive games) being one of those. Only 5 stages, a really short game. Super Mario land was very short and easy too with only 12 levels. Then there was Castlevania: The Adventure, five long stages but took ages to beat as it was tough as nails (and terrible). Always a mixed bag what you were going to get, although I’ll do a ‘Game Boy gems’ thread one day too! :D

I loved Darkwing Duck and Duck Tales on GB, I even enjoyed the movie tie-in Batman game. I disliked Amazing Spider-man, Simpsons: Escape from Camp Deadly, Robocop and tons of others that were janky as hell. The GB was why I started poring over games mags, because I’d gone from £1.99 cassettes on a C64 to £25 games, and a bad purchase was months of pocket money and paper rounds for me.

Hah, yeah.

It wasn’t even just the licensed games being short on GB, I always remember Contra: Operation C (or, confusingly, Probotector as it was called here, the same as the NES and Megadrive games) being one of those. Only 5 stages, a really short game. Super Mario land was very short and easy too with only 12 levels. Then there was Castlevania: The Adventure, five long stages but took ages to beat as it was tough as nails (and terrible). Always a mixed bag what you were going to get, although I’ll do a ‘Game Boy gems’ thread one day too! :D

I loved Darkwing Duck and Duck Tales on GB, I even enjoyed the movie tie-in Batman game. I disliked Amazing Spider-man, Simpsons: Escape from Camp Deadly, Robocop and tons of others that were janky as hell. The GB was why I started poring over games mags, because I’d gone from £1.99 cassettes on a C64 to £25 games, and a bad purchase was months of pocket money and paper rounds for me.

As a fellow european, Probotector >>>> Contra and it's not even close.

Just look at these nerds

And compare it to these chads
bJLYSkI.png

As a fellow european, Probotector >>>> Contra and it's not even close.

Just look at these nerds

And compare it to these chads
bJLYSkI.png

When I first saw Probotector I was a Transformers fan that had never seen Robotech/Macross/Gundam/anime mechs etc, so to me I was just ‘hey they look a bit like Jetfire, that’s cool!’

RoboCop_3_game_cover_art.jpg

s-l600.jpg

When I was a child, Robocop was the biggest thing ever. Its game adaptations were among the most rented games and I personally think they deserved every bit of that reception they got. I remember loving Robocop 3 so much after renting it 3 separate times, I ended up buying it.

s-l600.jpg

When I was a child, Robocop was the biggest thing ever. Its game adaptations were among the most rented games and I personally think they deserved every bit of that reception they got. I remember loving Robocop 3 so much after renting it 3 separate times, I ended up buying it.
Clearly I should have played the home console ones instead of on my trusty GB :D

Ok, let's keep this going.

Another thing that was super popular during my childhood was Tiny Toon Adventures and the amount of games it got was up there with Simpsons. And unlike Simpsons, Tiny Toon games were pretty good, coming from same devs who did TMNT stuff.

My favorite one was Buster Busts Loose:
Buster_Busts_Loose_box_art.jpg

It was a legit platformer that got harder in the latter levels. It also had some fun mini games. Due to immense popularity of the game, I had to buy this one brand new too. Keep in mind that games used to cost much more than they do today, one SNES game cost around 14-15 Happy meals.

Wild Wacky Sports (Wacky Sports Challenge in the US)
240.jpg

Multiplayer SNES games were pretty rare, we don't have anything besides sports, fighting and beat em up games. So a party/mini game compilation was godsend. And this was a really good one. It had this air combat mini game that was arguably the best.

And some Scooby Doo. Classic Creep Capers!
s-l300.jpg
tumblr_nqa5lqnxhv1uylufgo4_400.gif

This was not just another cheap Scooby game. This was the only Scooby point n click game in the existence. Very similar to classic LucasArts games. And it was legit, I got stuck in couple of places in the game.

A little shout out to the N64 version of the game. Maybe not as interesting as the GBC one, but still was a solid action adventure title:
32997_b37c7d43d137bada653d2a8eb563d283c4996ca9.png

Treasure was one of my GOATs when it comes to licensed games. People mention Astro Boy but my personal fave is the Hajime no Ippo boxing game on GBA.

Another thing that was super popular during my childhood was Tiny Toon Adventures and the amount of games it got was up there with Simpsons. And unlike Simpsons, Tiny Toon games were pretty good, coming from same devs who did TMNT stuff.

It was a legit platformer that got harder in the latter levels. It also had some fun mini games. Due to immense popularity of the game, I had to buy this one brand new too. Keep in mind that games used to cost much more than they do today, one SNES game cost around 14-15 Happy meals.
The Train segment is still giving me horrors to this day.

My list for SNES are
  1. TMNT 4
  2. Biker Mice from Mars
  3. Goof Troop
  4. Power Rangers The Movie
  5. That Japanese only Gundam Wing fighting game (forgot the title)
  6. Alladin

Wild Wacky Sports (Wacky Sports Challenge in the US)
240.jpg

Multiplayer SNES games were pretty rare, we don't have anything besides sports, fighting and beat em up games. So a party/mini game compilation was godsend. And this was a really good one. It had this air combat mini game that was arguably the best.

And some Scooby Doo. Classic Creep Capers!
s-l300.jpg
tumblr_nqa5lqnxhv1uylufgo4_400.gif

This was not just another cheap Scooby game. This was the only Scooby point n click game in the existence. Very similar to classic LucasArts games. And it was legit, I got stuck in couple of places in the game.

A little shout out to the N64 version of the game. Maybe not as interesting as the GBC one, but still was a solid action adventure title:
32997_b37c7d43d137bada653d2a8eb563d283c4996ca9.png
I’d completely forgotten about Tiny Toons but yeah they were huge and great games. I remember the big sprites, often forgotten as mascot platformers but they were a really good fit for the genre

My list for SNES are
  1. TMNT 4
  2. Biker Mice from Mars
  3. Goof Troop
  4. Power Rangers The Movie
  5. That Japanese only Gundam Wing fighting game (forgot the title)
  6. Alladin
Aladdin was massive at the time, I remember the Nintendo/Sega wars between the SNES (Capcom) and Megadrive (Virgin Games) games, largely rooted in ‘but you get a sword in the latter!’ :D They came out in the same month, so that was a huge comparison at the time, the game reviews were proper playground warz ammunition.

New Ghostbusters II for NES is surprisingly great. Really slick, well-put-together top-down action game with a satisfying zap-and-capture mechanic that feels like a predecessor to z-targeting. Not to be confused with Ghostbusters II, the other adaptation on the system. Was only ever released in Japan and Europe.

Hi no Tori Hououhen: Gaou no Bouken is really cool imo - fast-paced platformer based on the Osamu Tezuka classic manga that feels like, idk, a cross between Solomon's Key and ... Klonoa? Maybe? A ton of secret routes and level exits that see you travel through time.

Mitsume ga Tooru is another really excellent game based on a Tezuka manga with a novel way to turn your weapon into a platform.

Sweet Home - early example of the survival horror genre ... has anyone seen the film it was based on?

Labyrinth is an ambition early game for the system that never made it out of Japan despite the western license. It's rough around the edges, but it does a lot to creatively take advantage of the license and has a lot of interesting ideas (getting hit reduces the time you have to save your brother rather than health, for example).

Is it cheating to say Doki Doki Panic or Hello Kitty World?

I get why licensed games for the NES are despised, but the best ones compare favourably with the best of the unlicensed - perhaps it didn't help that the biggest producer of licensed dreck - the US - didn't see many of the best licensed games.

Shrek 2 and Ice Age 2 on Gamecube, had loads of fun with them and can still play them today!

Disney, TMNT, and Star Wars games were generally pretty good. And TvC on Wii, of course.

s-l600.jpg

I had Robocop 3 as well and I refuse to believe that anyone found it to be good. It's NES LGN tier all the way through, and easily one of the worst action-platformers on the system.

Batman Brave and the Bold the videogame was also good, the animation was awesome it even had music from Virt. It was on the easy side as it was meant for younger audience.

Disney, TMNT, and Star Wars games were generally pretty good. And TvC on Wii, of course.

I had Robocop 3 as well and I refuse to believe that anyone found it to be good. It's NES LGN tier all the way through, and easily one of the worst action-platformers on the system.
The Super Star Wars games on SNES I absolutely loved at the time, they are an example of a series released years later too. I’ve found them really hard to go back to though, largely in terms of difficulty. Maybe I was just a much better player with more patience then!

Licensed games get a bad rap but there were so many good ones.

A personal favorite:

And the GOAT licensed game:

In no particular order, some other great ones just top of my head of some favorites:

1. Goof Troop
2. Robocop (NES & Arcade)
3. Batman (NES)
4. TMNT 4
5. Darkwing Duck (NES)
6. Spider-Man (Sega CD)
7. Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
8. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
9. Rogue Squadron 2
10. Duck Tales
11. TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project
12. TMNT 2: The Arcade Game (superior to the arcade version IMO)
13. Goonies 1 (Japan only except for Play-choice 10 NES cabinets)
14, Tiny Toon Adventures (SNES)
15. Super Empire Strikes Back

One more for the road:

capsule_616x353.jpg

Super Robot Wars (Banpresto, Bandai Namco 1991-)

OK, I cheated. There's more than one of these. Starting out on the Game Boy in 1991, this is basically "what if a kid basically took all their cool toy robots and just put them in one spot to play a Fire Emblem style turn-based tactical RPG". The original game only featured three series - Mazinger, Mobile Suit Gundam UC and Getter Robo - but would soon expand to include other series, from classics like the Brave and Macross universes to niche entries like Iczer-1 to modern series like Knight's & Magic and SSSS.Gridman. Due to licensing issues, the series didn't see any overseas releases until 2002's Super Robot Taisen: Original Generations for the GBA, which, incidentally, didn't feature any Robots from licensed series. Two more games in this sub-series were released in English, first SRT:OG2, again for the GBA and SRT:OG Endless Frontier, which changed up the battle system to inputs corresponding to actions, similar to Namco X Capcom - not surprising since the game was developed by the same developer as the latter, a little-known studio called Monolithsoft. Wonder what happened to them, are they still around? With Super Robot Wars V in 2017, the main series has also been released in English regularly and every title since has also shown up on Switch - though you might need a Japanese account to access some of them, IIRC only the latest game in the series - SRW30 - is fully available outside of Japan.

So... are they good? I've only dabbled in a few of them, but they are really enjoyable and if you are a fan of mecha anime, these are something to keep an eye out for.

since the DS version of Thor was brought up, it's worth noting that SEGA eventually managed to nail the console side of Marvel games with their last one, Captain America: Super Soldier.
320951-captain-america-super-soldier-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg

mainly the PS3/360 side of things, notably being developed by future Luigi's Mansion developers Next Level Games.
but it's real big lasting legacy was changing cap's fighting style in the actual MCU starting with Winter Soldier.
"The way he moved in the game was so fantastic," Evans says. "He was so nimble and agile and using his environment. The video game was nailing it. Why aren't we emulating this?"

you really can't mention that without demonstrating the "special package" it came in.
s-l1600.jpg

an actual hard plastic shell, with only the bottom half being cardboard. making it far more stable than the other SNES boxes.

Astro Boy Omega Factor is both a top tier Treasure action game and an incredible tribute to Astro Boy and Osamu Tezuka's career as a whole. One of my all-time faves

since the DS version of Thor was brought up, it's worth noting that SEGA eventually managed to nail the console side of Marvel games with their last one, Captain America: Super Soldier.
320951-captain-america-super-soldier-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg

mainly the PS3/360 side of things, notably being developed by future Luigi's Mansion developers Next Level Games.
but it's real big lasting legacy was changing cap's fighting style in the actual MCU starting with Winter Soldier.

you really can't mention that without demonstrating the "special package" it came in.
s-l1600.jpg

an actual hard plastic shell, with only the bottom half being cardboard. making it far more stable than the other SNES boxes.
Thats really interesting, thanks for that!

The Speed Racer Wii game is one of my favorite racing games, very unique mechanics and style.

It looks like a cross between Burnout and F-Zero GX - which is the highest praise I can give a racing game. Gonna hunt this down.

Another Wii game that this thread has somehow shamefully overlooked: Tatsunoko vs Capcom. That game was pretty staggeringly great.

Back
Top Bottom