• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News GoldenEye 007 prematurely delisted from German Index

Mazzle

Animetrash
Pronouns
He/Him
2000px-Goldeneye_007.svg.png

The legendary Rareware Shooter GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64 got prematurely scrabbed from the German Index by the Federal Review Board for Media Harmful to Minors, which can index media these days if they for example don't receive a rating by the USK (for games) or FSK (for Movies and Music).
These games then can't be legally sold or promoted in Germany.

Many games over the course of the gaming history got put on the index, which deemed harmful for minors. But over the years Germany got more liberal and open-minded towards games and these days very few games get indexed (usually something like denying the holocaus or promoting nazi shit and alike).

But Games can get scrubbed automatically fromt he index 25 years after they got onto the index, The USK would rate it again after it.
GoldenEye got indexed on 31.03.1998, so normally it would have been delisted in March of 2023, which means Nintendo, the Publisher of the game filed for an early delisting
of GoldenEye 007 which got granted today. Schnittbereicht.com is saying that the game got a USK 18 rating

This is a welcoming but unusual move by Nintendo, since they are not in possession of the James Bond license, not have they ever applied for an earlier delisting of
one of their games beforehand. Which begs now the question... will we see GoldenEye 007 in its original form for Nintendo Switch Online?

Source: Eurogamer.de

I don't care if people these days see it as janky as fuck, I would play the hell out of it again, unlocking the cheats was awesome back then.

The objectives were such a step up from Doom and Quake run and gun even if those 2 are also classics.

I don't care if people these days see it as janky as fuck, I would play the hell out of it again, unlocking the cheats was awesome back then.

The objectives were such a step up from Doom and Quake run and gun even if those 2 are also classics.

Most N64 games are "janky as fuck", it's what people who care enough to be looking at the platform this decade expect, surely?

Honestly I'd be pretty disappointed if all we got was just a ROM dump of the original Goldeneye on NSO.

I just want the canned XBLA remaster that was finished released on both Switch and Xbox/PC, possibly with crossplay.

Lol, even dont know that was on the Index. They should unban Dying Light. I want to buy that next year.

Also would fit with the long rumoured MicrosoftxNintendo Cooperation this Fall :D

Incredible how we just played the fuck out of these games even when thy dropped into single digit fps in multiplayer xD
That's what I mean, I'd still do it again.

The xbox version would be nice as an alternative though lol

Lol, even dont know that was on the Index. They should unban Dying Light. I want to buy that next year.

Also would fit with the long rumoured MicrosoftxNintendo Cooperation this Fall :D
You can try to get it from Austria or Switzerland. It is only on List A.
And given that the game is from 2015 I highly doubt it would get delisted now

My son and I just played through this whole game on my 64
I'd do it again on swith
the game holds up
Framerate aside...
(Though I actually like when you tank the framerate with 20 rockets exploding on crates)

This is a complicated and expensive process so you would not do it if there's no business reason for it.
Also if the process fails, the 25 year window won't count and the game will stay banned.

So I'd say it looks good for a re-release on NSO!

This is a complicated and expensive process so you would not do it if there's no business reason for it.
Also if the process fails, the 25 year window won't count and the game will stay banned.

Well this is great to hear!

This would mean it’s coming soon as well wouldn’t it?
Soonish. Who knows how this will come out and in which capacity Nintendo dripfeeds us.
But given that you just don't rereview the game given the cost involved it is clear that Nintendo has
a deal with Microsoft/Rareware, Danjap Inc., possibly MGM and the actors involved since they own their own image.

Soonish. Who knows how this will come out and in which capacity Nintendo dripfeeds us.
But given that you just don't rereview the game given the cost involved it is clear that Nintendo has
a deal with Microsoft/Rareware, Danjap Inc., possibly MGM and the actors involved since they own their own image.
FYI, standard NSO update months are: December, February, May, July and September (pushed to October this year).

We’ll definitely get a December update, but maybe they’ll surprise us next month

The Goldeneye 007 trademark as it pertains to video game software has to be used by March 2022 or Danjaq will have to file for a second extension. The first extension was just granted last month, and the USPTO does not grant extensions without provided proof that said trademark intends to be used.

So this from Nintendo only adds more fuel to the fire that Goldeneye is planned to come back. And next year also happens to be the 25th anniversary FYI. So there’s that, too.

I was curious if they'd be more willing to allow a portrayal of a non-Craig Bond after No Time to Die was out but I wasn't expecting to hear anything this quickly

This is cool and all, but man, so much work for a single game only a few people will play.
I would love it, no question, but I'm surprised this is happening.

This is cool and all, but man, so much work for a single game only a few people will play.
I think you're underestimating the extremely huge following Goldeneye has. The game was extremely formative for millions, and is the 3rd best selling N64 game period. When Goldeneye comes back (and I think at this point it's a WHEN, not if) it will be a huge seismic event. There are people who would literally buy Switches just to play it again.

Nah this would be a huge, huge deal. Like monumentally huge.

At least for a lot of people in the US this game was a phenomenon.

Goldeneye on NSO, with full local multiplayer and online, would be amazing. And I too would seriously be playing the hell out of it.

Online would certainly allow for screenhacks, but that is the bonus of it.

Maybe it's foolish to hope that this might mean that remastered GoldenEye with Switch/Xbox crossplay will finally release, because truthfully I can't think of better way for advertising at minimal cost

As much as I would love to replay Goldeneye on NSO, I'm never going to be optimistic about it actually happening.

The licensing with this game (and 007 in general) is extremely complicated. We almost got a remake for XBLA, but it was cancelled. This article give a good look at how tricky working with this game can be: Why the GoldenEye 007 Remaster Was Cancelled

I think you're underestimating the extremely huge following Goldeneye has. The game was extremely formative for millions, and is the 3rd best selling N64 game period. When Goldeneye comes back (and I think at this point it's a WHEN, not if) it will be a huge seismic event. There are people who would literally buy Switches just to play it again.

I think you should put the thread topic into account. Yes, in North America, Golden Eye is huge, but this game was on the index in Germany up until now, so only people who imported the game knew about it back then. And this number is rather small.
I only learned how big Golden Eye is in the last few years from Americans.

Edit 1: Apparently, I'm wrong and it was talked about in magazines as [redacted] and was a running joke. Didn't know about that at all.
Edit 2: It seems literally everyone besides me played Golden Eye back then.

Last edited:

Yeah, from an US perspective that is probably true, didn't really think about it.
It just still seems like a huge amount of work and I'm wondering why that wasn't attempted earlier if it's such a big deal.
But as I said, I would be very happy about it!

Let’s hope it does come out, but be warned that the controls are absolute garbage by today’s standards. Single stick FPS with R button aiming is not going to be easy to revisit.

Let’s hope it does come out, but be warned that the controls are absolute garbage by today’s standards. Single stick FPS with R button aiming is not going to be easy to revisit.

It has dual analogue controls, with a little work they could remap them and tweak the aiming for a more modern controlset.

The Goldeneye 007 trademark as it pertains to video game software has to be used by March 2022 or Danjaq will have to file for a second extension. The first extension was just granted last month, and the USPTO does not grant extensions without provided proof that said trademark intends to be used.

So this from Nintendo only adds more fuel to the fire that Goldeneye is planned to come back. And next year also happens to be the 25th anniversary FYI. So there’s that, too.
This is really exciting, GoldenEye is just incredible, frame rate aside.

There's a tiny hope that an N64 classic is on the cards at the back of my mind, the chips that could run it are getting cheaper, this is quite a lot of work to sort out purely for an online subscription service, and the N64 controller has had quite a retool looking at a breakdown compared to the original.

Better late then never I guess? Unless it ends up on NSO, that would be pretty awesome if Nintendo manages to get all the rights in order to finally give the game an official re-release.
Now I've got you in my sights.
With a GoldenEye.
That note she throws out on that Goldeneye is pure gold. MGM, get around to that 4k boxset already, I need that new master of Goldeneye, the blu-ray is such a mess! :(

That note she throws out on that Goldeneye is pure gold. MGM, get around to that 4k boxset already, I need that new master of Goldeneye, the blu-ray is such a mess! :(
I would have no choice but to triple dip on the Bond franchise if they released them all in 4K.

The legendary Rareware Shooter GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64 got prematurely scrabbed from the German Index by the Federal Review Board for Media Harmful to Minors, which can index media these days if they for example don't receive a rating by the USK (for games) or FSK (for Movies and Music).
These games then can't be legally sold or promoted in Germany.

Many games over the course of the gaming history got put on the index, which deemed harmful for minors. But over the years Germany got more liberal and open-minded towards games and these days very few games get indexed (usually something like denying the holocaus or promoting nazi shit and alike).

This is slightly wrong, you're mixing up games getting indexed and banned. The Index only means that a game can't be advertised, which also includes getting displayed on store shelves where minors could see them. They can still be sold to adults though, so in case of a shop you would have to ask at the counter for them. Online shops usually check your ID and then enable your account to see the indexed games. A ban (Beschlagnahmung) however means that a game can't be distributed at all. You're allowed to own them, but not make them available to anyone else. Only a few games have been actually banned in Germany.

In case of GoldenEye the game was never released in Germany and import versions were put on the Index.

I'm not really familiar with this process, but if it was only going to be Iike a year and a half before it automatically expired, I can't see any reason they'd go through the trouble to do this unless they were planning to imminently release the game on NSO.

I mean is there a realistic chance of this happening?

Surely Microsoft wouldn't allow only Nintendo to have Goldeneye available on their platform. I'm guessing as part of the deal Microsoft would want to have it on their platforms as well, and I truly doubt Nintendo would ever agree to that.

I'd be more concerned about Danjaq, they were allegedly the problem with the last reissue. Microsoft had their version of Goldeneye ready to release and supposedly Danjaq were the people who stopped it.

This is what I'm worried about. I know PD had dual analog controls by using two N64 controllers and I assume GE did as well, but based on how Nintendo has done button mapping so far on the N64 app, I'm not confident this will go well.

Surely Microsoft wouldn't allow only Nintendo to have Goldeneye available on their platform. I'm guessing as part of the deal Microsoft would want to have it on their platforms as well, and I truly doubt Nintendo would ever agree to that.
Banjo-Kazooie will be available to play via both Nintendo Switch Online and Xbox Game Pass very soon.

Nintendo and Microsoft have both had their eyes on a GoldenEye rerelease for well over a decade; if it happened now it'd be the third known time they both attempted to make it happen, three hardware generations in a row (Wii/360, Wii U/XBO, NS/XSX). They've collaborated on so much already in the last few years, so i'm not sure why it'd be a stretch here.

I was just a small kid, but I remember everyone with a n64 here in Germany also had goldeneye.

Even got my copy from a “used” game store some years later.

I think getting this on NSO would be huge.

Yep, it also should also be a good time to remember that Rare went out of their way to record documentary footage of the game for intended inclusion in Rare Replay.

Including a "5 facts" video that was rather specifically meant to be released after the collection.
They've been trying to work out the rights issues for quite some time.

Yep, it also should also be a good time to remember that Rare went out of their way to record documentary footage of the game for intended inclusion in Rare Replay.

Including a "5 facts" video that was rather specifically meant to be released after the collection.
They've been trying to work out the rights issues for quite some time.

Yep. They definitely wanted it as part of the collection but rights issues got in the way again. Danjaq was one of the biggest players preventing it from happening, so the fact they’re now seemingly on board as evidenced by their trademark activity dating back to August of last year is very telling.

Watch this be some unholy scenario where NSO gets the N64 game with laggy multiplayer and zero option to remap buttons or have dual analogue controls, while there's a HDified version with new controls on Game Pass.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I see the benefit in having the original emulated on NSO, but I can't help but half suspect Nintendo snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Watch this be some unholy scenario where NSO gets the N64 game with laggy multiplayer and zero option to remap buttons or have dual analogue controls, while there's a HDified version with new controls on Game Pass.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I see the benefit in having the original emulated on NSO, but I can't help but half suspect Nintendo snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Technically, you can have dual analog controls in GE64 if you select one of the 2.X control schemes, in which you use 2 controllers at once. Of course, that does mean you’re capped to either 2 or 3 players in multiplayer, and you have to learn a whole new control method.

Technically, you can have dual analog controls in GE64 if you select one of the 2.X control schemes, in which you use 2 controllers at once. Of course, that does mean you’re capped to either 2 or 3 players in multiplayer, and you have to learn a whole new control method.
Oh sure, I'd expect that to be present. But I wouldn't expect Nintendo to go so far as to make dual analog with a single controller an option. I'd be very happy if they prove me wrong, even though I'd be willing to play with the original control scheme.

Oh sure, I'd expect that to be present. But I wouldn't expect Nintendo to go so far as to make dual analog with a single controller an option. I'd be very happy if they prove me wrong, even though I'd be willing to play with the original control scheme.
Yeah, they’d have to basically create all new control schemes that layer on top of the original 2.X setups, and you’d still have the issue of being capped to two players unless someone is willing to go single analog.

That's one of the many rumored reasons why the 360 version was cancelled, actually!

Nintendo allegedly didn't like the idea of only getting the game on Virtual Console while the 360 got a full remaster.

Back
Top Bottom