• A new Metroid event is now active. Come join the fun over in Aurc's thread!

StarTopic God of War Ragnarök |ST| God Týr [TAG ALL SPOILERS]

Phantom Thief

Life Will Change
Pronouns
He/Him
18 hours in:

God of War II
God of War III
God of War (2005)
God of War Ragnarok <------
God of War Chains of Olympus
God of War Ghost of Sparta
God of War (2018)
God of War Ascension

Current rankings. A lot is left, so all subject to change, of course.

Pronouns
Any
18 hours in:

God of War II
God of War III
God of War (2005)
God of War Ragnarok <------
God of War (2018)
God of War Ascension

Current rankings. A lot is left, so all subject to change, of course.

For me it would be:

God of War (2005)
God of War II
God of War Ascension
God of War III
God of War (2018)
God of War Ragnarok

Pronouns
Any
Just completed the game 100% on Give Me No Mercy, no resurrection stones used and I did not seek out any guides. There are still a handful of Labors still active standing in my way between the platinum but I don't think I'll bother. I probably put in 60-70 hrs or so. Overall I enjoyed my time with it. The combat was sublime, most of the characters were cool and gave great performances, and the story was interesting all the way through. Boss battles and creatures were varied and creative. The environments look beautiful, and sound design and music were on point. The optional content was all very well done with a lot of cool sidequests, and some really fun and challenging optional bosses.

But it had a lot bogging it down too. Obviously the biggest thing is the game treating me like I'm a complete idiot both in and out of combat, constantly spoiling puzzles and enemy weaknesses. The game also pretty much never lets you breathe. There is always a companion or two with you who never shuts up. Level design felt pretty bland, even compared to 2018, which was in itself a big step back from the Greek games. Everything is just so static in the levels without any cool traps or moving parts or interesting visual designs that were tied into moving throughout the levels themselves. The critical path was also far too easy, even on the highest selectable difficulty the first time through. Another of the worst offenders in the game was the pacing. It's just too damn slow moving. It barely even feels like a God of War game most of the time. Every time the action starts to ramp up a bit it gets brought way back down to a crawl again. And then, story wise, I simply cannot believe that
Atreus never finds out that Kratos killed his family. I simply can't believe that Kratos has been "redeemed" until he comes clean to his son about the worst deed he ever did.

All of the other SSM God of War games are at least 9/10 to me, but I'd give Ragnarok a 7. It's good but nowhere near spectacular.

OP
OP
Red Monster

Red Monster

Rawr
Pronouns
He/Him
I think I'm either approaching or have passed a point of no return. Mimir made a comment about "one last adventure" when they gave me the option to go do sidequests. A major twist happened that I did not see coming.
Tyr was Odin the whole time?! And he killed Brok! That bastard is gonna pay.

So now Kratos and Atreus are in Muspelheim to find the Fire Giant.

I assume I'm pretty close to the end. 35 hours in now.

Phantom Thief

Life Will Change
Pronouns
He/Him
I just finished
Helheim with Atreus.

I really loved this part a lot. It was structured like a classic GOW set piece (with a set piece boss fight on top!), followed by some great emotional resolutions, the "don't be sorry, be better" line and most importantly the return of Fenrir! He's a v. good boi

Masterful section overall, probably my favorite in a game that's been full of amazing sections so far

OP
OP
Red Monster

Red Monster

Rawr
Pronouns
He/Him
I just finished
Helheim with Atreus.

I really loved this part a lot. It was structured like a classic GOW set piece (with a set piece boss fight on top!), followed by some great emotional resolutions, the "don't be sorry, be better" line and most importantly the return of Fenrir! He's a v. good boi

Masterful section overall, probably my favorite in a game that's been full of amazing sections so far
This part of the game had me crying multiple times

Top Bottom