• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic God of War Ragnarök |ST| God Týr [Valhalla DLC available now]

Red Monster

Mr. Noodle
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Title shamelessly stolen from IGN

Go-Wvisual.png

Release Date: 11.9.22

Platforms: PS4, PS5

Developer: Santa Monica Studio

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Genre: Action-Adventure, Sad Dad

Download Size: PS4 106.817 GB, PS5 84.095 GB

MC OC

PlayStation Store Page

The Story So Far
Kratos and his son Atreus journeyed through Midgard and the rest of the Nine Realms to Jotunheim, to fulfill the final wish of Fey, Kratos’ wife and Atreus’ mother. Along the way they fight all manner of monsters, dragons, and even a few gods. They make friends with the dwarves Brok and Sindri, as well Mimir, the god of knowledge and wisdom, and the goddess Freya. Kratos struggles with keeping his true nature as a god from his son, as well as his bloody past. In the end, Kratos and Atreus achieve their goal, but not without making a mortal enemy of Freya and drawing the attention of Thor and Odin. Atreus also learns the name his mother wanted to give him when he was born…

God of War Ragnarök starts three years after the events of the first game. Fimbulwinter has set in, signaling the start of Ragnarök and the end of the world. Kratos and Atreus set out to find a way to stop the coming apocalypse. But Thor and Freya are seeking revenge for what Kratos has done to them. Uncover the secrets of Atreus’ true identity, find Týr, the Norse god of war, and prevent Ragnarök!

Screenshots

Trailers

god_of_war_ragnarok_graphics_modes_3840.jpg

Special thanks to @WestEgg and @OTBWY for help making the ST image for this thread

UPDATE

Last edited:
Didn't like God of War 2018 much, I respect it immensely but I feel like the kind of story it told and the kind of gameplay it went for simply wasn't for me.

However, I find this to be super cool looking and intriguing, so I wonder if it's just my perception of action games that has changed over the years.

Nice OT! Very excited for this, God of War and Andor the same day is awesome just need to find a way out of work now

Great ST!

I've been replaying GoW 2018, and I'm pretty excited for this, but I'm not getting it right away. Hopefully I can get to it before the end of the year, but who knows with how many other games are coming out.

Honestly, me too. Elden Ring and Legends Arceus are currently fighting it out for my GOTY but I expect Ragnarok is gonna blow both of them out of the water. I'm so hyped it's like I'm buzzing. Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Elden Ring was somewhat of a letdown for me. Similar to BotW, it's open world nature brought it down despite being from series/developers I absolutely adore. God of War is one of my favorite series and 2018 was an amazing reinvention. I can't wait to see how they iterate on it. I've only seen the first trailer for the game and have been on media blackout. Nothing better than going in fresh to my most anticipated games. It's gonna be amazing!

BOY

Anyway, debating on getting this soon, but I have a backlog so eeeh. Enjoyed the original a lot and platinumed it. I prefer it over the older God of War games.

I mean Kratos is still a douche, but he is more relatable in GoW 2018 than he ever was in the originals.

BOY

Anyway, debating on getting this soon, but I have a backlog so eeeh. Enjoyed the original a lot and platinumed it. I prefer it over the older God of War games.

I mean Kratos is still a douche, but he is more relatable in GoW 2018 than he ever was in the originals.

To me Kratos is an even bigger douche in 2018 than the original games. He's a total lying asshole to his son consistently throughout the whole game haha. I'm glad they didn't betray the character, and it's one of the things that makes the game great. Of course there are moments where he actually tries to be good and fatherly. But I'm really interested to see how they tackle when the whole truth of Kratos' past is revealed to Atreus in Ragnarok.

SO after watching the DF review.

Should I remove my PSVR from the PS5 in order to play it in the 40FPS Quality mode?

I saw in the review this mode only works in 120hz, VRR, 4K TV , i have a TV with this capability (The maligned Sony X900H ), so in theory should work, but i don't think that this mode works if the signal is provided via the PSVR converter.

So just want to be sure and if this mode is worth all the moves i need to make.

SO after watching the DF review.

Should I remove my PSVR from the PS5 in order to play it in the 40FPS Quality mode?

I saw in the review this mode only works in 120hz, VRR, 4K TV , i have a TV with this capability (The maligned Sony X900H ), so in theory should work, but i don't think that this mode works if the signal is provided via the PSVR converter.

So just want to be sure and if this mode is worth all the moves i need to make.
This question is a bit beyond me, but I'd say if you're worried the PSVR might negatively affect your experience, then just go ahead and unplug it. You can always plug it back in when you're finished with Ragnarok, right?

Still need to play 2018 so won’t be picking this up yet but I am looking forward to eventually getting it.

This question is a bit beyond me, but I'd say if you're worried the PSVR might negatively affect your experience, then just go ahead and unplug it. You can always plug it back in when you're finished with Ragnarok, right?
The original PSVR has a fairly complicated way of being set up, so depending on how his entertainment center is set up it might be a pain in the ass to disconnect and reconnect it.

The original PSVR has a fairly complicated way of being set up, so depending on how his entertainment center is set up it might be a pain in the ass to disconnect and reconnect it.
This is precisely correct, so that's why i want to know if it is worth it or just stick with the 60fps performance mode.

Damn, wasn't going to play this anytime soon, if at all (I did not enjoy the 2018 entry whatsoever, but I've never been all that much into the GoW franchise even before then), but I already came across the ending on YouTube (and other major spoilers).

Well, consider this as kind of a warning/PSA, haha.

Damn, wasn't going to play this anytime soon, if at all (I did not enjoy the 2018 entry whatsoever, but I've never been all that much into the GoW franchise even before then), but I already came across the ending on YouTube (and other major spoilers).

I’m not surprised spoilers are out there. Diligence is required, folks!

I’m not surprised spoilers are out there. Diligence is required, folks!
Especially when the video title isn't just like "GoW Ragnarok Ending", but actually describing what the ending contains as well, lol

I mean, sure, missing the details and all that, but cooomeee oooon

Shit, I should just stay off YT until I beat it. I hate people.

oh god i'm so hyped to play tonight. today has been a big day, what with the pokemon leaks and folks' impressions of sonic frontiers, but i'm over here giddy at the thought of finally getting to fight thor

I’ve played for three hours so far. It’s pretty. Very pretty. Ragnarok is easily the best-looking video game I’ve ever played. And the beginning of the game doesn’t disappoint. No spoilers of course, but… hot damn. This game is an experience.

The gameplay feels better than 2018. The standard combat feels really good. The environmental puzzles have been simple so far, but still satisfying. And have I mentioned the visuals? Cause it’s pretty.

I have more thoughts but it’s midnight. I gotta be up for work in six hours, or else I’d probably still be playing. Can’t wait to get back to this tomorrow!

Got a pa5 collecting dust. Maybe this will get me to play it. I think the evil west game might be the one though.

Going to start this when I get. home from work tonight. I've successfully avoided any and all spoilers.

Played two hours last night at midnight. Will play more when I get home. So far so good, really hate Odin's voice actor. He sounds waaaay to young despite his appearance. The performance is good, its just so jarring and unfitting for the character. Thor is great though!

Played two hours last night at midnight. Will play more when I get home. So far so good, really hate Odin's voice actor. He sounds waaaay to young despite his appearance. The performance is good, its just so jarring and unfitting for the character. Thor is great though!
I think Odin's voice is spectacular. The actor really sells that Odin is a scummy POS who shouldn't be trusted.

Went out and got the game this morning and played for a couple hours. Geesh, the beginning alone already had me emotional. Trying to get my muscle memory back for the combat. It's gonna be a wild ride. Wish I didn't have to work today!

Went out and got the game this morning and played for a couple hours. Geesh, the beginning alone already had me emotional. Trying to get my muscle memory back for the combat. It's gonna be a wild ride. Wish I didn't have to work today!
Fenrir had me crying. Then the bear cubs had my crying all over again. Those scenes were brutal.

Sold my PS4 and not getting a ps5. Gotta wait for the inevitable PC launch to enjoy this one 😵‍💫

Six hours or so in now. Got the chance to do some sidequests, which were great. The combat just straight-up feels better in this game than it did in 2018. I should know, I played 2018 for the first time last month so it’s fresh in my memory. Fights feel faster and more dynamic. It feels like you have more options than 2018 gave you, certainly so early in the game. It’s a blast.

This game is good folks.

Got to explore the Dwarf realm and continue the questline from there and played as Artreus for a bit. I absolutely love his fighting style, smacking things with his boy and having all this magic at his disposal and he's still learning. It's so refreshing compared to Kratos. And it really shows just how much he respects his dad during these segments but free frustrated because he is getting older and Kratos is well.. Kratos. A tough dad trying to make sure his son is better then him and can eventually take care of himself and hopefully make good decisions.
Also. Tyr. What is up with his voice? He sounds like a 18 year old. Odin sounded like a 18 year old. Why do all the Asgardians sound so young outside Thor? Did they intentionally hired new voice actors giving them a chance for these roles? They are acting good, but my gods they sound like toddlers in a room full of gruffy nordic men who have the accents down and the right sounding voice for the role.

Last edited:
Already spoilers in this thread so I'm out until I finish it haha. Just will say I'm loving the game except for the fact that companions immediately are spoiling puzzle solutions before I even have a chance to properly observe my surroundings. Super annoying.

The amount of combat options is almost overwhelming. It makes for pretty dynamic fights! I’m having a lot more fun with the combat this time, which is strange because it’s basically the same system as 2018’s combat. I’m not sure what changed. It just feels better now.

Story-wise, I’m about eight hours in and taking my time. I’m exploring every nook, trying to find everything. I probably won’t go for the platinum or anything but I’m enjoying my time spent in this world.

The elf wings puzzle in Alfheim can jump off a bridge, and so can Atreus with his “helpful hints”. I haven’t had to look up the solution to any puzzles so far but this one seemed pretty mean. And every five or ten seconds Atreus goes “look up there!” without any indication of what he’s talking about. Apparently this one is stumping a lot of people though so I don’t feel toooooo bad about it.

The amount of combat options is almost overwhelming. It makes for pretty dynamic fights! I’m having a lot more fun with the combat this time, which is strange because it’s basically the same system as 2018’s combat. I’m not sure what changed. It just feels better now.

Story-wise, I’m about eight hours in and taking my time. I’m exploring every nook, trying to find everything. I probably won’t go for the platinum or anything but I’m enjoying my time spent in this world.

I think the level design feels more dynamic this time around. During a lot of fights, there's a lot more space to work with jumping/climging/swinging, etc, as well as using objects in the environment to aid you in combat. You're right that it definitely feels overwhelming. I'm probably close to 15 hours in at this point and they just keep throwing more and more combat mechanics in my face. I love it but it's hard to get my brain to remember all the inputs on the fly during an intense battle.

The elf wings puzzle in Alfheim can jump off a bridge, and so can Atreus with his “helpful hints”. I haven’t had to look up the solution to any puzzles so far but this one seemed pretty mean. And every five or ten seconds Atreus goes “look up there!” without any indication of what he’s talking about. Apparently this one is stumping a lot of people though so I don’t feel toooooo bad about it.

The worst part about the game is your companions giving away puzzle solutions. But yeah, sometimes when they just say vague stuff like that it's like wtf are you talking about :p. I think I know which puzzle you're referring to but I could be wrong. I haven't come accross anything too crazy puzzle wise, the one I'm thinking of did take me a few minutes though.

So I've been spending a bit of last night and all morning with this, and I've amassed some early game opinions.

So far: this is a good game, but for me it's not quite reaching the heights. It feels like a solid and polished action game, but doesn't quite feel like a character-driven emotional journey. More Ghost of Tsushima than The Last of Us.

While I didn't vibe with 2018, I could at least see what they were going for with the father/son dynamic and the focused journey of scattering the ashes of Faye. This feels.. I dunno, a lot more meandering and flat than that. I think my biggest gripe so far is that there's too much.. levity? Like, the dwarves and Mimir gets a lot of dialogue and Kratos almost takes a backseat. It's fun to listen to, but it doesn't feel like it contributes much. Hopefully all of this picks up later.

Loving combat though, though my memory regarding the 2018 combat is a bit flimsy, but the combat here is just super tactile and has fantastic feedback. And it has a lot of tactical options that are still simple but keeps you on your toes. The Leviathan Axe is still a great video game weapon.

But I also really think that the "RPG elements" feels super out of place and unnecessarily fiddly. It feels uninteresting and cumbersome to tinker with upgrades and weapons here and there. I just sigh and max out defence on armour.

Also, the jet engine anxiety is real, playing on PS4. I play with headphones, but it makes me nervous not hearing whether or not it's about to explode.

Amazing game. Always felt 2018 was middling, and couldn't see the big deal about it (especially coming from the older games), but this one is hitting all the right notes. The enhanced mobility alone is a huge upgrade.

The big optional area in Alfheim is great, and there’s a breathtaking conclusion to that side quest. Fighting Dark Elves still isn’t much fun though, that hasn’t changed since 2018.

I love how compelled I feel to explore every corner of the world and do every side quest I come across. In 2018 I stuck to the main path and didn’t explore at all. Something about Ragnarok feels different. It’s better.

The big optional area in Alfheim is great, and there’s a breathtaking conclusion to that side quest. Fighting Dark Elves still isn’t much fun though, that hasn’t changed since 2018.

I love how compelled I feel to explore every corner of the world and do every side quest I come across. In 2018 I stuck to the main path and didn’t explore at all. Something about Ragnarok feels different. It’s better.

Interesting... The optional content in 2018 was one of my favorite things about it. I love how the lake acted as a hub world and just by paddling the boat along and listening to all of Kratos and Mimir's stories you would happen upon all sorts of different secrets and areas. And then just when I thought I had done everything, the Snake moved and changed the water level, opening up a whole new layer of things to do, yet in the same place! Just fantastic world design that really drove me to explore.

I'm enjoying the side stuff in Ragnarok quite a bit, and I agree with you on the Alfheim area, but I find it less interesting that exploration is much more framented in this game. Still awesome though, and I can't wait to see what's yet to come as I progress further.

I'm starting to have massive audio issues. All of a sudden, sound effects goes missing. Summoning a realm door and it assembles, and its quiet as the grave. Really awkward. Been googling it, and some have issues with it, but only on PS5.

Shame, because the game is indeed picking up steam. I'll spoiler tag stuff about 10 hours in.

Angrboda is great, she really steals the game for me, and I can't wait to see more of her.

Scaling the wall as Atreaus was really cool, and the whole journey he's undertaking in terms of both seeking answers as well as becoming his own person feels like its heading in an interesting direction.

The game is unsurprisingly great, and I agree that the side content is top-notch.

I wanna talk about something that's relatively early but I really don't wanna spoil anyone so I'll go in chronological order and spoiler tag liberally:

• So the game opening culminates with the boss battle with Thor.
  • After this, your first main quest is looking for Tyr. This is pretty much given away by the marketing.
  • Basically immediately after this, you get to the bit I wanna talk about.
You play as Atreus! As soon as it happened I realized it was an obvious thing to include, and it was also heavily hinted at (although also obviously embargoed) in reviews. So I felt a little silly for not guessing lol

But it mixes up the gameplay so well. The first game managed to balance the combat and slower-paced story sections really well, but - and I noticed this more on a second playthrough - I definitely felt like I needed a bit of a break after the long combat "dungeon" areas, even if the following story beat meant less combat for a while. But now, they've solved it - switch your character so the combat plays very differently, and bam, I'm ready to keep going. Really great addition.
How did everyone else react to this?

The worst part about the game is your companions giving away puzzle solutions. But yeah, sometimes when they just say vague stuff like that it's like wtf are you talking about :p. I think I know which puzzle you're referring to but I could be wrong. I haven't come accross anything too crazy puzzle wise, the one I'm thinking of did take me a few minutes though.
Yeah, that's definitely the weakest part of the game. And they start to offer hints so early? Like, "maybe try freezing this" and it's like please I haven't even looked at what the puzzle is yet

Yeah, that's definitely the weakest part of the game. And they start to offer hints so early? Like, "maybe try freezing this" and it's like please I haven't even looked at what the puzzle is yet
And that’s a big part of the problem, the hints aren’t even helpful! “Try freezing that” doesn’t help me at all when I have no idea what “that” is! What are you referring to Atreus?! And if you’re not gonna be specific, then shut the heck up maybe?! Give me a moment to get my bearings!

Back
Top Bottom