• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Gifcities - Archive of GeoCities gifs

A. G. Cook

Locked in Charli XCX’s basement
Pronouns
he/him
Came across this website, https://gifcities.org/, through an unusual source. Was listening to the new Magdalena Bay debut album Mercurial World and in an interview talks about their aesthetic and how they used Gifcities to create their website. I think it's a pretty neat look back at the age of animated gif garbage, and how it helped cemented everyone's little creative corner on the internet before it became a landscape of capitalisms.

Post some of your favorite gifs you find through the search engine! I was looking through some pages on a Discord call last night and the nostalgia was so hard that I could smell the cheap, grey 90s computer plastic.

line.gif

sephiroth4wingedangel.gif

cloudani.gif
sephyotherway.gif
squallani2.gif
laguna.gif

Nintendoworld.gif
nintendospin.gif
mario01.gif

spinlogo.gif
nothring.gif
n.gif

enter.gif
email9c.gif
backanim.gif

demon.gif
skullflame.gif
holoskull.gif

line.gif

I feel old...
Yeah, that's exactly how old GIFs make me feel but also I think it's there's something very satisfying about watching animations that littered every webpage in the late 90s.

Wow what a throwback. Takes me back to a time where the internet was pretty new to me and just going to random geocities sites getting random anime music from random links. Honestly the internet doesnt feel the same.

HoOA56M.gif
Gokupowerup.gif

trunks.gif

cellcharging.gif

Wow what a throwback. Takes me back to a time where the internet was pretty new to me and just going to random geocities sites getting random anime music from random links. Honestly the internet doesnt feel the same.

HoOA56M.gif
Gokupowerup.gif

trunks.gif

cellcharging.gif
ooooooooh man I remember those DBZ ones

What is this? Are these those clip art things people used on their websites?

Wait have you never seen Geocities websites from back in the day? Those were things that people used to make to put on their websites back then.

These types of GIFs were the aesthetic of 90s personal webpages. If you didn't have a website littered with GIFs, you weren't truly living.

twirlingsmiley.gif
Even the concept of "personal webpages" feels like such a throwback.

I miss those days. Everything was much less professional but much more interesting. Web rings, under construction GIFs and counters, oh my.

Tonnes of hideous page backgrounds with clashing text colours, but it was deeply personal, unlike today's internet

I miss those days. Everything was much less professional but much more interesting. Web rings, under construction GIFs and counters, oh my.

Tonnes of hideous page backgrounds with clashing text colours, but it was deeply personal, unlike today's internet
Yeah, it's a little sad that social media took over and that very few people have their little corner of the internet. It felt new and exciting back then.

EVA-ANI.gif

evangelion.gif

Man, stuff like this takes me back to the mid 90's. I used to rent Evangelion VHS tapes from a Japanese bookstore and watch them unsubbed, complete with commercials. I'd then spend each week searching Netscape for EVA websites to find translations and summaries of each new episode.

I used to have these gifs plasted all over my desktop back in the days of Windows 98.
pikachubalance.gif
pikachu.gif
Sleeping_Pikachu.gif
pikachu.gif

EVA-ANI.gif

evangelion.gif

Man, stuff like this takes me back to the mid 90's. I used to rent Evangelion VHS tapes from a Japanese bookstore and watch them unsubbed, complete with commercials. I'd then spend each week searching Netscape for EVA websites to find translations and summaries of each new episode.
I loved visiting late 90s anime and video game fansites. It was always cool to see how unique a website would be, the internet felt like very space was truly different.

Doesn't quite feel the same now, there is a lot of redundancy in the way corporations set up websites.

I loved visiting late 90s anime and video game fansites. It was always cool to see how unique a website would be, the internet felt like very space was truly different.

Doesn't quite feel the same now, there is a lot of redundancy in the way corporations set up websites.

For sure. And all those scattered sites were fansites in the truest sense of the word. Made out of love by huge fans of whatever it was and just wanted to share the experience with everyone.

Fan Wikis seems to have replaced individual fan pages these days. It's rather a shame that the idea that everyone would have their own little site on the web (which is why ISPs used to give you a small about of web hosting) died out.

Back
Top Bottom