• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • ❄️We captured the snow storm in a bottle!❄️

You can enable the snow via the button on the bottom left. If you'd like to remove the button, go to your preferences and enable the Hide snow button. Make sure you disable the snow first.

• Is the Video Game Industry DOOMED? WestEgg, Irene, and VolcanicDynamo discuss in the newest episode of the Famibords Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Gematsu - Silent Hill: The Short Message rated by Korea

Paxie

Like Like
Pronouns
She/They

Can't believe this is finally happening after spending over 2 years of SH rumors being teased ad infinitum. Given that the title is "The Short Message, it's probably the PT-style teaser with a bunch of post-it notes. Overall, good news is: we are finally going to be free from these rumors soon; bad news: Silent Hill by Bloober Team is real 😬

What’s Bloober Team?
Indie horror dev infamous for every game they make being a bad rip-off of Silent Hill 2. They also have a horrible repeating theme that amounts to "if you're mentally ill, you are a danger to yourself, others, and society at large so you're better off dead"

Overall, good news is: we are finally going to be free from these rumors soon; bad news: Silent Hill by Bloober Team is real 😬
On one hand, this is true.

On the other, if this also means that there are indeed multiple SH games in production, then perhaps at least ONE of them has to be good.........right?

is this a teaser for bloober's game or the other one?

yes.

probably the PT-like demo of the Bloober team, even if the naming would be a good fit for the rumored episodic series developed by Annapurna

they killed PT to give the next main entry in the series to the blair witch people, huh
It isn't SH5. The rumor is that there are "3.5" titles in development: Silent Hill 5, Silent Hill 2 Remake, an episodic game published by Annapurna, and a PT-like teaser. For a long time it was thought the Bloober game was SH2R, but there has been some debate within the rumor circle recently that Bloober may have been on SH5 instead. The Short Message is the PT-like teaser, which means Bloober is probably not working on it at all.

Dusk Golem claims the Konami game was in development since 2019 with Bloober's game starting in 2020. if any game will be revealed first, it's probably Konami's game, with Annapurna's game second since it's smaller

It isn't SH5. The rumor is that there are "3.5" titles in development: Silent Hill 5, Silent Hill 2 Remake, an episodic game published by Annapurna, and a PT-like teaser. For a long time it was thought the Bloober game was SH2R, but there has been some debate within the rumor circle recently that Bloober may have been on SH5 instead. The Short Message is the PT-like teaser, which means Bloober is probably not working on it at all.
I hope that at least Silent Hill 2 comes to the Nintendo Switch

I hope that at least Silent Hill 2 comes to the Nintendo Switch
That's very likely. Bloober has all their catalog except their latest game, The Medium, on Switch. And they're really good at porting their games to Switch, all 4 games they have on Switch perform nicely.

Too bad that PS has a 1 year exclusivity period on SH2.

Honestly, I don't get why Silent Hill is seen as such a prestigious franchise.
Yes, PT was great and Hills could've been something, but that will never happen.
Konami's recent Metal Gear, Contra, and Castlevania games sucked, and I don't see why they would care for Silent Hill to do it any different. In fact, Silent Hill is in a worse place as that series hasn't seen a good entry in about 20 years now. Even if that number is up for debate, I'm sure no single person will defend every single outing of it past 4. Konami was fucking it up well before the pachinko thing.

That's very likely. Bloober has all their catalog except their latest game, The Medium, on Switch. And they're really good at porting their games to Switch, all 4 games they have on Switch perform nicely.

Too bad that PS has a 1 year exclusivity period on SH2.
timed exclusives are so shitty, and Sony continuing to double down on them despite their console still not being widely available is deeply obnoxious to me

at least xbox timed exclusives are on gamepass and typically available on PC at launch

Honestly, I don't get why Silent Hill is seen as such a prestigious franchise.
Yes, PT was great and Hills could've been something, but that will never happen.
Konami's recent Metal Gear, Contra, and Castlevania games sucked, and I don't see why they would care for Silent Hill to do it any different. In fact, Silent Hill is in a worse place as that series hasn't seen a good entry in about 20 years now. Even if that number is up for debate, I'm sure no single person will defend every single outing of it past 4. Konami was fucking it up well before the pachinko thing.
it never was and never had the sales. PT holds a good chunk of the hype I think for all the wrong reasons. at least it's a cult favorite, but nothing warranting a AAA budget

The short message

In my restless dreams
I see that town
Silent Hill
You promised you'd take me there again someday
But you never did
Well I'm alone there now
In our special place
Waiting for you

Taiwan has gotten in rating the game, adding in a proper description and an icon.
SH-Short-Message-Rating_12-30-22_Rating-Art.jpg

untranslated
Anita為了和朋友Maya碰面來到一棟廢棄的公寓,不知為何醒來後發現自己竟受困其中。她必須逃離自身內心的恐懼和潛伏於走廊中的怪物,找出受困事件背後所隱藏的事實,並在被自己的心理創傷吞噬掉求生意志之前設法逃出生天。

machine translation
Anita came to an abandoned apartment to meet her friend Maya, and somehow woke up to find herself trapped in it. She must escape her own fears and the monsters lurking in the corridors, discover the truth behind the events she's trapped in, and try to escape before her own trauma consumes her will to survive.

the rumors are generally suggesting that this is meant to be a short (most likely free) PT-like game to tide people over while waiting for the other big projects.

I'm real curious to see how Konami fairs with bigger budgets these days. the leaked screenshots looked really good

Konami has finally released this after years of leaks.

as expected, it’s a free (and likely fairly short) download that should be added to the PlayStation store within the next few hours.

Watched a stream of this game and I don't understand what it's trying to be. It's PT-like 2.5-3 hour long experience mainly told through notes and chats but I found it to be incredibly obnoxious. There is something to the idea of a story that's mostly about teen jealousy, but it's told poorly and constantly veers off to talk about protagonist's crappy mom or a witch or to namedrop Silent Hill for no reason at all.

It feels very shallow and doesn't go for subtlety at all, instead shoting at you all the way through which made my head hurt. Unlike, say, SH2, it also feels like the whole point is in twists that devs made which is never how original Silent Hills functioned. Alas, it is how more modern games did this - basically by taunting you to guess what ACTUALLY happened. SH2 can be played and enjoyed when you know the reveal, and it still hurts. This game? I dunno, I just felt like my time was wasted.

A shame, because I have experienced a lot of what main character is going through. However, even with that, the story didn't resonate with me.

Better than Bloober's efforts to portray anything about depression, but I still think this is a lackluster walking sim that doesn't scare you, fails to be engaging since whole gameplay is pixel hunting memos, and didn't keep me interested. It looks good, and I hope at least one of the new SH projects is at least good. So far we've seen two that are misses and are nearing the third which looks bad.

turns out the people do crave more experiences like PT.
in fact, it does seem to be directly tied to Silent Hill F, with the credits listing a writer tied to Higurashi developer 07th Expansion.

Back
Top Bottom