• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro GB NSO Speculation/Wishlist Thread

1upmuffin

Sand Pounder
Community Liaison
I love portable gaming, and I love Game Boy. I still want to believe the rumors that Game Boy is coming to NSO, wish it was announced already though. This thread will act as a love letter to the GB where we can talk about what games we'd like to see. Here's a couple of mine.

Mole Mania: A fantastic puzzle game by the director of DK94 (also phenomenal and I hope it's on the service). You play as a mole and are trying to rescue your family from evil farmers. It's a top down puzzle game, and you can push items and burrow underground to go under places. Each world has different puzzle elements, including one world with pipes you push things through.

Pinball: Revenge of the 'Gator: If you've known me for a little bit you'll know that I LOVE pinball, and maybe the best pinball game on the Game Boy is Revenge of the Gator (not sure if I prefer Revenge of the Gator or Pokemon Pinball, but I wanted to highlight Gator here since it's more underrated. Fun pinball game with cute visuals, good objectives, and pretty solid physics for the Game Boy.

Nintendo would be remiss to exclude X, the 1992 3D GameBoy game that remains a curiosity to all Nintendo fans who have played Super Smash Bros. I mean, just listen to the soundtrack:

If it were included in the launch lineup I would no doubt attempt to give it a fair shot, if only for the soundtrack and novelty.

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel is a must play GBC game IMO.

Also Pokemon Puzzle Challenge (based on Panel de Pon).

I'm glad N64 showed up first ahead of GB if I'm being truthful, but what could one hundred percent get me on board with the platform is the chance to replay Pokemon TCG. I lost my cartridge way back when but after recently replaying the card game with only the first two generation rules, it still holds up immensely well. Plus, music was TOIGHT

I just hope that there's a chance TCG2 can get a language patch so it can finally see release in North America

Hoping for Pokémon Pinball this time. Only actually have a cartridge of the GBA sequel.

Mainline Pokémon would be useful for shiny breeding reasons, but I have some doubts about that being part of NSO proper.

That said, the real thing I want to see is Super Game Boy emulation. Not having that on 3DS really put me off from playing certain games that leveraged it heavily.

I'd love to see the JP only Color versions of DK Land 3 and Balloon Kid!

Beyond those....

DVtt9u6CECDjngf7eNy5sV2CAwHVugaK-cWFWCUvPn8.jpg

I'd love to see the JP only Color versions of DK Land 3 and Balloon Kid!

Beyond those....

DVtt9u6CECDjngf7eNy5sV2CAwHVugaK-cWFWCUvPn8.jpg
I didn't know there was a color version of Land 3, whoa.....

Solar Striker is another one that would be nice.

Not sure I've played Trax or not, it seems familiar.

I'm glad N64 showed up first ahead of GB if I'm being truthful, but what could one hundred percent get me on board with the platform is the chance to replay Pokemon TCG. I lost my cartridge way back when but after recently replaying the card game with only the first two generation rules, it still holds up immensely well. Plus, music was TOIGHT

I just hope that there's a chance TCG2 can get a language patch so it can finally see release in North America

I replayed that on 3DS a few years back and the memories were amazing. That game was pretty decent even in this generation (no AI bs or things like that).

Ideally I'd like to see a modern take on Switch but if we can at least get this game I will take it!

godzillagb.jpg

I need to play my Godzilla game again
It's such a comfy puzzle game with all my favorite toho era monsties

hqdefault.jpg

Survival Kids is criminally overlooked. Lost in Blue, this game's spiritual successor, bored me to tears from the beginning by making everything including picking up rocks a time wasting minigame. This game's the polar opposite. The menuing is so quick and responsive that it's actually satisfying to blow through my meter management actions and get back to the exploration and environmental puzzles. There are a few surprising twists to keep the game from feeling too formulaic and it's highly replay-friendly with two protagonists and many endings.

image.png

If it doesn’t have Pokémon Pinball and Pokémon TCG, I’ll be really sad.

I also want to play the Wario Land games.

Kirby's Tilt 'n Tumble would be a pretty good fit for the service, because of how the controllers have gyro so it would be a natural fit for the service. In fact, it would be an interesting experience if this game can be played as a console (tabletop/TV) because of this. I would've loved to see Mickey's Racing Adventure but perhaps the need to go through both RARE and Disney may make it more difficult to accomplish this.

Also, Toki Tori would be an interesting game to release because the Game Boy version is different from the modern versions (including the Switch version). I would've suggested Shantae but that one's already got a port so it would not make sense.

Thank you for reading.

Rather than games I want, I'll just say I hope NERD goes the extra mile and includes Super GB support for compatible games.

While borders may not work due to resolution differences, I'd love to see the other SGB enhancements (colour and sound) be an option for games.

I want pokemon pinball , I don’t think there’s anything that’s not been on previous gb/gbc VC i want , will be happy with the zelda oracle and pokemon games ,

I Hope we get Rare Handheld games ,sadly Rare Replay Completely ignored Rare´s Handheld legacy.
Games like Sneaky Snakes(Snake Rattle n Roll Sequel) , Perfect Dark, Conker’s Pocket Tales should be there day 1

For me it'll have to be DuckTales (i know the NES version is superior, but I was raised on the GB one), the pokémon games (and Pinball!) and the Oracle games.

DK94 already mentioned. All is right in the world.

I think it's been mentioned here already but the Warioland games have a special place in my heart, Warioland 2 especially!

I want Lufia: The Legend Returns.
It's Taito, but it was on VC of 3DS. So I don't know how realistic it is.
It's probably my least favourite Lufia, but I still want it.

A Collection of Lufia with all four games on Switch would be way better though.

The GOAT Mario game: Super Mario Land 2.

I’d also like any of the Wario Land games, I’ve only ever played the first one.

Give me Mario Tennis GBC/DK94 and you will have a happy customer.
Still play these games on my 3DS via VC from time to time and would love to have them on NSO.

*checks for mentions of Wario Land, is satisified*

But yes, in all seriousness: give me the damn Wario Land games, Nintendo! Also Super Mario Land 2, Kirby's Dream Land, Donkey Kong 94, and the Oracle games, please.

As others are saying, extra features in the emulator would also be really welcome. Super GameBoy compatibility, as well as different display options which reflect the original green screen, the Pocket black and white, and then the different filters you could get playing a GB game on a GBC. Blew my mind as a kid when I realised that pressing different buttons when powering on would change the screen colour.

alleyway-game-boy-portada-box-art-america.jpg

I didn't play it on the original Game Boy but I enjoyed it on 3DS. I guess it's almost guaranteed that it will be on NSO, so it will probably be my first stop.

azure dreams

Had this as a kid. Got far in it, but never finished it. I never do see people talk about it, and, if I do, it's the PS X version.

It only occured to me earlier this year, when I suddenly remembered this game, that this would have been the first Rougelike I played.

I admit I bought it cos I thought it would be like Pokémon lol.

I really love to see Qix, that game and the whole concept is really CRACK for me. I can't get enough of games like that.

Back
Top Bottom