• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News gamescom 2022 Opening Night Live announced for August 23rd, 2 hour live show featuring 30+ games (over)

Of course, switch isn't a videogame console, it's a Nintendo console for Nintendo games, which are not really videogames even if they're not bad, but haven't you had enough Mario and Zelda ? I mean, Nintendo games are always the same... Now Let's talk about the last of us remake instead

I don't really even watch these shows anymore and just read the reveals online, but I don't really get this narrative that pops up with every Geoff show, isn't it on Nintendo/publishers to get games to be on these shows? If he's willing to show off a Pokemon car I'm sure he'd show off games too.

Why is a game called Dead Island 2 set in Los Angeles
Everything's an island when you go big enough:

64978399.jpg

So.. It's 2 new reveal for Switch:
New Tales From Borderlands
Moving Out 2

and few updates:
Return to Monkey Island
Sonic Frontiers
Hogwarts Legacy
Dorfromantik

I don't blame the pubs. A lot more people watch Directs than this.

I feel a little bad for Geoff because it seems like it's pretty much impossible to make a good show with this format but at the same time he probably depends greatly on publishers and devs giving him ad money. There was a lot that I found interesting in isolation but the length, the pacing and the sheer volume of content with no exciting standout announcement just hurt overall and I see no easy solution for him there.

I feel a little bad for Geoff because it seems like it's pretty much impossible to make a good show with this format but at the same time he probably depends greatly on publishers and devs giving him ad money. There was a lot that I found interesting in isolation but the length, the pacing and the sheer volume of content with no exciting standout announcement just hurt overall and I see no easy solution for him there.
I think part of the problem is the general homogeneity of the content being shown off. I mean, sure crack jokes about so much space-based games, but it definitely makes them difficult to differentiate from one another and I earnestly can't tell if it's just what people are excited to play after so many medieval fantasy settings or if there is a concerted effort to make it the focus.

Plus, as a personal gripe I dislike how the awards are announced. Rapid listing of all the candidates, and then the most deadpan name of the winner. FTO as Josef Fares is so fond of saying, but at least they have a little enthusiasm for their industry when celebrating a winner.

I think part of the problem is the general homogeneity of the content being shown off. I mean, sure crack jokes about so much space-based games, but it definitely makes them difficult to differentiate from one another and I earnestly can't tell if it's just what people are excited to play after so many medieval fantasy settings or if there is a concerted effort to make it the focus.

Plus, as a personal gripe I dislike how the awards are announced. Rapid listing of all the candidates, and then the most deadpan name of the winner. FTO as Josef Fares is so fond of saying, but at least they have a little enthusiasm for their industry when celebrating a winner.
Oh yeah, the way the awards are announced is really crappy, no question about that.

Reading your impressions, I feel sorry for the guys who run Nintendo-centric websites and had to sit through this whole thing for almost nothing.
to geoff, world premiere just means new trailer. which is ridiculous, cuz they're not gonna show old trailers here, are they? so for no reason and to the benefit of absolutely no one, we have to hear "world premiere" 50 times whenever he puts on a show.
Oh, thank you for this! My ESL ass was seeing all those images with "WORLD PREMIERE" written on them and a bunch of already announced games and I was like "have I been using the word "premiere" wrong this entire time?"

First time?.gif

Why would you support a console with 112 million sold when you can make games for consoles nobody can buy because of shortages.

I mean, its simple economics Christopher. You will make money. Well eventually. Over time. Maybe? Yeah totally. I hope.

Snark aside, I truly believe Geoff shops around for cool announcements and the majority publishers tell him “nah Geoff, we’re good/we want another venue/made a deal with someone else”. I’m pretty confident he tries to create a good show, but I think that publishers know that somehow the general news savvy people do not value these shows.

I feel like the solution is not to do it, ultimately. And to curate an actual catalog of reveals in a shorter timespan rather than be a mess of ads. Even aside from Gamescom, because that may be it's own complicated process (even though I don't think the ads from ONL pay for the event itself, just the show). But like SGF. You have the absence of E3 for about 2 years now and still, his approach is basically a content dartboard; whatever he hits gets in the show.

Like, look at all of that content. Truly who is this show for? What is their actual demographic? Because most people aren't interested in half the actual games shown and half of the announcements had no gameplay to correlate. It's just a loud onslaught of ads. Even TGA suffers from this.

Also, to a lesser extent, I do think the problem is him. He just wants to be a "host" in the most traditional sense and he talks so fast about sales and pre-orders and DLC that any and all impact of any cool announcement is gone. I keep thinking of the "yeah, a lot of space today" line from SGF. So so so weird. Is he getting updates on how the chat is reacting? Does he KNOW there are 3 games that look like Dead Space knockoffs? What exactly prompted that line? Because that was clearly not scripted.

Keighley just needs to stay in his lane and focus on the Game Awards. Trying to do 2 separate Summertime game events isn't working for him. E3 will actually be back under new management next year so he'll have a much higher hill to climb.

Having read through the announcements, I am now convinced that The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be re-revealed as The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild.

That Mini segment was a little weird. The rep said there will be a console connection if the concept ever gets released but he didn't name the console. That made me think... of a future Nintendo console hasn't been named yet?

Sounds like I made a Good Life Choice ™️ opting to drop off my old PC monitor for recycling and then seeing Thor: Love & Thunder instead of watching this.

here's your nintendo presence
If its a Geoff thing and you want Nintendo related news you probably should other else. But this tweet sure is something, remember when third parties argued about low sales for lack of Nintendo support ? Just goes to show that you better money hat if you want third party AAA support.

That Mini segment was a little weird. The rep said there will be a console connection if the concept ever gets released but he didn't name the console. That made me think... of a future Nintendo console hasn't been named yet?
Probably just an hdmi input to play games on the screen, nothing more. It's best not to read into it

People need to stop taking this personally. IIRC, Nintendo pulled out of Gamescom so low representation is expected, it's not a Geoff thing.

Also Gamescom is a European trade show that's been trying very hard to be the other E3, it speaks volumes when in a year without E3 they still can't get their shit together so it's 2 hours for 30 games, including indies and some of them recaps of existing stuff. That's about the number of games that gets announced in a 45 minute Direct and probably much less games than gets shown off at TGS, another regional trade show.

I just don't think there's much interest to shift the centre of gravity for games to Europe. The North American focus suits most pubs just fine.

Also another reason people saying E3 is dead are vastly underestimating it's importance.

People need to stop taking this personally. IIRC, Nintendo pulled out of Gamescom so low representation is expected, it's not a Geoff thing.
The Geoff dunking year after year gets increasingly uncomfortable and weirdly personal lmao

I feel like the solution is not to do it, ultimately. And to curate an actual catalog of reveals in a shorter timespan rather than be a mess of ads. Even aside from Gamescom, because that may be it's own complicated process (even though I don't think the ads from ONL pay for the event itself, just the show). But like SGF. You have the absence of E3 for about 2 years now and still, his approach is basically a content dartboard; whatever he hits gets in the show.

Like, look at all of that content. Truly who is this show for? What is their actual demographic? Because most people aren't interested in half the actual games shown and half of the announcements had no gameplay to correlate. It's just a loud onslaught of ads. Even TGA suffers from this.

Also, to a lesser extent, I do think the problem is him. He just wants to be a "host" in the most traditional sense and he talks so fast about sales and pre-orders and DLC that any and all impact of any cool announcement is gone. I keep thinking of the "yeah, a lot of space today" line from SGF. So so so weird. Is he getting updates on how the chat is reacting? Does he KNOW there are 3 games that look like Dead Space knockoffs? What exactly prompted that line? Because that was clearly not scripted.
Oh, fully agreed, but I don't think "not doing it" is an option for Geoff or the Gamescom people lol. If Geoff insists on this format he needs to make an effort to improve it or at least appear a little more prepared than he usually does at these things. It's a shame because he always comes across as rather passionate about the entire thing and games in general.

Is there a summary of the stuff announced for Switch anywhere? I expect it’s slim pickings but curious anyway.

After "Death Strandings protagonist can pee" and yesterdays "Here's Kojima with a podcast", i'm going to collect ideas how Keighley can include Kojima in 2023's ONL, if there's no new game from him by that time.

Back
Top Bottom