• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Gamera Rebirth; Japan's giant turtle returns

curl-6

Chain Chomp
Created in the 1960s to compete with Godzilla, Gamera is a giant, flying, fire-breathing turtle. Yes, really.

The thing is, in the realm of Japanese giant monster movies, Gamera actually has a significant legacy. In the 1990s he appeared in a trilogy of films that did much to modernize the genre, and for many fans, these remain some of the finest kaiju movies ever made.

His last appearance was in 2006's Gamera the Brave, and from there he entered a long hibernation, skipping the kaiju rennaissance spearheaded by the likes of Pacific Rim and the Legendary Pictures Godzilla movies.

But no longer; the big turtle is due to return soon in Gamera Rebirth, an animated project coming to Netflix. And excitingly for many fans, its being helmed by Shusuke Kaneko, the man behind the 1990s trilogy.

Anyone else here a kaiju fan? I grew up watching them with my late Dad who was a massive sci-fi buff, so both the genre and the turtle himself have a special place in my heart.
As silly as they seem on the outside, the good ones have real heart, and seeing Gamera return makes me inner child flap for joy. :)

I would much rather see another live action kaiju film since we're in dire need of those, but maybe it'll be good regardless. The last four Gamera productions completely upstaged Godzilla by just being legit good movies, I hope they can keep that quality up.

Gamera rules but after all those terrible Godzilla animes "animated" is making me nervous here lol

Very sad its an animated series and not a new movie. Big Gamera head. All 4 heisei films are terrific, and most of the Showa one's are good.

I was also disappointed when it was confirmed to be an animated thing, but hearing Kaneko is involved gives me at least a bit of hope, that 90s trilogy is really something special

edit: actually it sounds like he's not directly involved? he pitched a concept for a new Gamera thing but this series was already in production:
Shusuke Kaneko said:
When I proposed my own concept for Gamera in the Reiwa era, KADOKAWA was already working on a new project. The content seemed to make sense to me, so I have high expectations for this project as well. So, as a baseball commentator with experience as a Gamera team manager, I will continue to support it until it wins the championship and I take the plate again.

I was also disappointed when it was confirmed to be an animated thing, but hearing Kaneko is involved gives me at least a bit of hope, that 90s trilogy is really something special

edit: actually it sounds like he's not directly involved? he pitched a concept for a new Gamera thing but this series was already in production:
If I recall correctly Kaneko's been trying to make a new kaiju movie since at least 2017, but the studios couldn't promise him the necessary effects budget. Outside of Anno and Kaneko's own Godzilla entries, kaiju movies since 2000 are all seen as expensive financial failures. Maybe Kadokawa will pick up Kaneko's pitch if the anime is successful, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom