• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • ❄️We captured the snow storm in a bottle!❄️

You can enable the snow via the button on the bottom left. If you'd like to remove the button, go to your preferences and enable the Hide snow button. Make sure you disable the snow first.

• Is the Video Game Industry DOOMED? WestEgg, Irene, and VolcanicDynamo discuss in the newest episode of the Famibords Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion GameCube: Eon GCHD + M Classic Makes Cube Shine More Than Ever!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2807
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2807

I’ve been really craving some good Nintendo GameCube action here lately, but I have, for a long time now, wanted to get the best picture quality possible out of my Cube. I was rocking just a regular AV to HD cable that cost like, 20 bucks, and don’t get me wrong it does a decent job of just simply displaying the game, but it’s still a bit blurry looking, right? So I got an EON HD adapter, which allows the Cube to achieve Progresive scan since it’s tapping into the system’s digital port. This cleans up the image considerably - but to put a cherry on top - I also got the M Classic, which essentially just smooths the image out a little more and cleans up the jaggies (anti aliasing, basically.)

So anyways, I made these comparison shots and wanted to share them all with you! I don’t have a capture card so I just took pictures with my phone, but I swear this is a more noticeable difference when you’re actually sitting in front of the TV. I’m very happy with the results, it almost feels like it breaths a bit if new life into GameCube, and it certainly helps that the console and software has aged pretty darn well anyways!
0xzX8eU.jpg

kMLhFN0.jpg

I use an MClassic on my Wii and it's been great. Had to get an EDID emulator to force 1440p out of it, though.

I can concur, using the mClassic in combination with the GameCube's digital-out makes a real difference, I honestly feel like it's a better use of it than for Switch stuff.

I struggle to get nearly as good an image out of the Wii on an HD screen, it doesn't seem nearly as effective without the natively digital cleanness.

This is really cool. I see people also recommend this for Switch, but I don't bother for that. I like most Switch games as is. No need to try and force this stuff to make it slighlty better.

mClassic is great. I got one for my Wii U for Wii and GC titles, and yeah, it makes them shine on a modern display.

GC + EON provides a slightly better picture quality than Wii U, but I like the convenience of having three consoles in one.

The M Classic is basically an Antialiasing specialized card disguised as a HDMI passthrough dongle. It's ideal for sub 1080p hardware, and i shines brighter on the 6th console generation.

I have a Insurrection Industries' Carby for my GC and i've been really tempted to get a M Classic, but that's another 100 € down only for one console ^^U

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat this looks cool af. how much is it??
It is a little pricey - the GCHD goes for about $150, whilst the M Classic goes for $99 - but I got both at a pretty good deal - and I use my GameCube a lot and love it tons so it makes it worth it to me!

Ugh, I actually scored myself a perfectly fine Trinitron 32" for free some years ago, and I'm hoping to set it up in my den with my Gamecube, N64, Sega Genesis and NES. I'm especially excited to see my Gamecube get use again, but also there have been so many improvements to using it's Digital AV port that I genuinely wonder if it might be more effective to get these high end HDMI adapters, or if I should just shell out roughly the same money for an authentic component cable adapter (whether first or third party)

The Eon GCHD Mk-ii is $220 on Amazon Canada, and the mClassic is another $130.

Meanwhile, an authentic Gamecube component cable on eBay goes from $260 to $380, and then there's a third party digital AV cable like this one:

(Some brands are as low as $80, and even the reviews on this one trash its audio quality)

I wish I had the money to compare both and if it might be worthwhile to have my Gamecube in my living room as well next to my current gen consoles, or if I can sacrifice the few games that would offer widescreen and just get the cleanest 480p scan image I can get

All those ways to improve picture quality just lead me to the question: why not use either a wii u or emulation?

All those ways to improve picture quality just lead me to the question: why not use either a wii u or emulation?

The Wii U's upscaling isn't great and it can't play GameCube games without softmodding. And I assume someone who wants to use their original hardware isn't going to emulate.

The Wii U's upscaling isn't great and it can't play GameCube games without softmodding. And I assume someone who wants to use their original hardware isn't going to emulate.
oh, it isnt? okay, i assumed its at least competent and comes there most of the way. Softmodding was clear, but i feel like by this point that's not a worry anymore.

-> original hardware: im not sure what the benefit is there, i would love to be enlightened, but isn't dolphin pretty much good to great on most games, and for some first party releases its even opening um so many options that leave even improved original hardware outputs in the dust?
(if you are after some more obscure games, then it probably would make sense to stay with OG hardware, but then i would be interested which ones that are that are not available anywhere else, are great quality, but still kind of a hidden gem =D)

oh, it isnt? okay, i assumed its at least competent and comes there most of the way. Softmodding was clear, but i feel like by this point that's not a worry anymore.

-> original hardware: im not sure what the benefit is there, i would love to be enlightened, but isn't dolphin pretty much good to great on most games, and for some first party releases its even opening um so many options that leave even improved original hardware outputs in the dust?
(if you are after some more obscure games, then it probably would make sense to stay with OG hardware, but then i would be interested which ones that are that are not available anywhere else, are great quality, but still kind of a hidden gem =D)

Dolphin has had good emulation for a while now, it doesn't really matter to someone who wants the convenience of connecting a console to their television and using their original discs, controllers and accessories which either aren't possible on Dolphin or need adapters and additional configuration. I know because I've used Dolphin for years but prefer playing GameCube / Wii on original hardware on both a CRT and HDTV.

Dolphin has had good emulation for a while now, it doesn't really matter to someone who wants the convenience of connecting a console to their television and using their original discs, controllers and accessories which either aren't possible on Dolphin or need adapters and additional configuration. I know because I've used Dolphin for years but prefer playing GameCube / Wii on original hardware on both a CRT and HDTV.
ah okay. since i know enough people that have used GC controllers with those usb adapters (like the one i have around from smash 4 days, mainly for melee) and hacked wiis i assumed that its about as easy, but then again, that probably depends on the personal expectations, whats around, how the setup id coordinated (TV room vs pc room etc).
its just the cost of those cables, adapters and stuff that kinda gets me.
Im also one that lives with a bunch and has not a dedicated "tv/gaming" area, my switch is connected to my monitor , same as my laptop, so that probably plays into my bias. heck, i don't even want to put up my wii u cause its such a hassle, but i would like to play some mario kart 8 again... (yeah, had if for switch, but those cartridges ARE small...)

You can also get the Carby which has the same tech as the EON adapter for $80 only:

You can also get the Carby which has the same tech as the EON adapter for $80 only:

Yeah, in fact it was almost an answer to the EON HD's steep price. I have it, and since it follows the same open source standard, functionality and quality is the same. The difference is lack of options (the EON's allows you to use a Wii Component cable too)

Back
Top Bottom