• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic GameCenter CX ||ST|| Kacho On!

A subbed version of the Blu-Ray Green bonus challenge (Ghosts 'n Goblins Revenge) is now up. Cheers to all who worked on it - I guess LocationScouts is their new groupname (same peeps from recent subs like The Mystery of Atlantis)?

I didn't even know white arramer existed lol. Not surprised by how quickly Arino gets into save state scumming.

A subbed version of the Blu-Ray Green bonus challenge (Ghosts 'n Goblins Revenge) is now up. Cheers to all who worked on it - I guess LocationScouts is their new groupname (same peeps from recent subs like The Mystery of Atlantis)?

I didn't even know white arramer existed lol. Not surprised by how quickly Arino gets into save state scumming.

It's a great little episode! We helped proofread that one, like many of their other releases. LocationScouts is the name the people who did episodes like Super Monkey Ball and Mystery of Atlantis revenge. They do great work and have a lot of good stuff in the works! We're going to be helping them out in any way that we can, while still releasing episodes ourselves, of course.

On a different note, the next episode airing in Japan is bound to be a good one. It's... Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix! Weird choice for their first Nintendo game on GameCube, and their second GameCube challenge overall. Arino is... extremely bad at rhythm games, so this is going to be an interesting watch!

A new English subtitled episode is available! This one is Episode 279, Demon's Crest. It's hard not to admire Capcom's spritework in this one. Hope you enjoy it!

A new English subtitled episode is available! This one is Episode 279, Demon's Crest. It's hard not to admire Capcom's spritework in this one. Hope you enjoy it!
I was literally just hoping for a new GCCX episode drop a few days ago! Excited to get to it soon.

It seems like they have opened a Youtube channel for the 20th anniversary

update on this, they've been actively using it to upload various older episodes (just the challenges though, as is tradition for the DVD releases)

no region-locking, but also no official subtitles either.
you can use the auto-generated captions translated to English. but on-screen text isn't affected, and the translation isn't ideal.
image.png

Haven't even had a chance to watch Demon's Crest yet, but LocationScouts have subbed Sonic 2 (MD ver). : )

Yep! I haven't had a chance to watch it, but they've been working on that one for a while! They've worked really hard on it, and I'm sure it's a great release!

i just remembered i screenshotted this notable moment from the Sonic 2 episode, and forgot to post about it.
rNgLRIF.png

for those unaware, Masayuki Kibe. beyond being an AD on this series. was also one of the writers on the classic SEGA anime "Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girls". so there's a bit more to his appearance than you'd think.

And we have a newly subtitled episode available! This one is... Episode 320, Elemental Shaolin Fist (Fuun Shaolin Ken)! Haven't heard of it? Not surprised! This game is a Famicom Disc System classic, a fighting game... from Jaleco! It's exactly as good as you'd expect it to be.

Never let anyone doubt my love of Jaleco again!

Wait, i just noticed this thread, it's been AGES since i last watched Game Center CX. does it still exist?

I'll check out the OP

genuinely shocked it took until 2012 for the show to cover Spelunker. and as a DVD-exclusive at that.
that game, alongside Takeshi's Challenge (which was the first challenge ever done, back when the series was more documentary-like and chronicled studios) is one of the most infamous examples of an extremely difficult game in Japan.

vlcsnap-2023-06-19-03h37m56s716.png

hmmm. 🤔
(for context, Japanese TV networks tend to quietly interrupt what's airing with on-screen popups whenever a breaking news story happens. this is the first time i've seen a GCCX episode get hit by one.)
a trio of episodes got translated over the past few weeks.
including....
  • Rolling Thunder (Famicom)
  • Super Bomberman
  • Klonoa
the last one is going to be particularly interesting, considering how notoriously sad the ending is. how will The Kacho react!?!

I have vacation now and binging this hard every night in between games haha :)

I have like 12 seasons translated on my hard drive, GCCX is really comfort food for the soul!

Locationscouts have done Valkyrie no Densetsu, Valis 1 & Quarth recently. Thanks to everyone involved in these releases.

Really need to play Valkyrie, that game looks ace.

Probably worthy of a seperate thread if someone wants to make it, but the Arino's Challenge games are being remastered for Switch!

(just forget there was a third one)

Awesome, I always wanted to play the sequel. No idea why XSEED didn't bother to bring it, IIRC, the first one was a success in west.

I hope whatever blocking Cold Steel 1-2 and EDF games to be on Switch localized wouldn't get in these remasters way...

Probably worthy of a seperate thread if someone wants to make it, but the Arino's Challenge games are being remastered for Switch!

YESSSSSSSSS and this probably deserves a dedicated thread.

I'm hoping indieszero is still involved with this.

I really really hope Bamco localizes this because the first one was great and it's a damn shame the second one had to be fan translated.

Everything I've heard about that one is "stay clear of this"

!!!
GameCenter CX 1 and 2 are among my favorite DS games. Arguably, you learn more about the 80s Japanese market from them than reading a book.

The third one wasn't by IndiesZero, and AFAIK it ditched the original formula for just some retro-inspired minigames. So nothing of value was lost.

I really hope they'll bring this to the West.

Awesome, I always wanted to play the sequel. No idea why XSEED didn't bother to bring it, IIRC, the first one was a success in west.
You mean not successful in the west?
We’ve gotten tons of e-mails from fans that say ‘thank you so much!’, ‘we love Retro Game Challenge’, ‘it’s my favorite DS game of all time’, but when you look at the sales numbers that actually picked it up and really being vocal about it, it’s pretty small compared to the other DS owners out there. The sales aren’t quite there to justify bringing the sequel.
According to this interview, XSEED expected the game to reach 100,000 copies and it didn't reach that at all.

the latest fansubbed episode is the Super Famicom Sailor Moon game (which is a beat-em-up, surprisingly.)
Arino had no idea what he was getting into....

cringe.png

Bandai Namco's TGS stream, which features a segment for the impending Switch re-release of Retro Game Challenge. is also beginning in an hour.

a fairly nostalgic moment. i remember when the Japanese Nintendo Directs aired quick specials of Arino playing the 3DS Virtual Console games as a sort of post-show.

the other side of GCCX's recent collab with the "Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games" Youtube channel. Sakurai is now officially an assistant director!
unfortunately, this side lacks English subtitles. i'd imagine 8-4 would have been more than happy to temporarily pop up here to handle that, but no.

edit: part 2 of the collab.

interestingly there seems to be a third part planned where Sakurai plays some SEGA games with Arino.

in terms of fansubs. the "Tokyo Bus Guide: Starting Today, You’re the Driver" episode was recently translated, it's a realistic bus driver simulation game on the Playstation 2. and Arino gets to unlock GCCX lore after finishing each stage.
intro.png

Last edited:
Apparently there's an episode on the legendary crap game "Ganso Saiyuuki Super Monkey Daibouken" ? I'd love to see it ^o^

Either that or Stargazer / Hoshi Wo Miru Hito, clearly one of the worst game ever made, the "Manos : The Hands of Fate" of video games.

the remaining parts of the GCCX channel's collab with Sakurai. (it actually outlasted the one on Sakurai's channel by a few days)

Location Scouts has also confirmed they're subbing the episode about the infamous FMV game "Night Trap", it was supposed to be released in time for Halloween. but ended up being pushed back a few days.

Bandai Namco's TGS stream, which features a segment for the impending Switch re-release of Retro Game Challenge. is also beginning in an hour.

Dang, Bamco made the TGS stream private.
Anyone knows of any mirror or dowload of the GCCX segment?

Location Scouts have subbed a new ep - I never check the wikis to see what games the chief has actually done, so was a fair bit of surprise to see the name "Ico".

i mean, out of all the sixth generation games featured so far. it makes the closest sense in terms of it being "retro".
the game did notably start development on the PS1. getting shifted to the next system fairly late in development.

(a compilation of development footage released by Fumito Ueda back in 2021)

GD0CIlRXkAAuXPm.jpg:orig

LS continued the trend of subbing episodes made during a holiday by doing the Mega Man 5 two parter, recorded during Arino’s 50th birthday.

they’re also created a collection of polls to see what unsubbed episodes people are interested in seeing translated.
Hi GCCX fans, Happy New Year! Everyone at LocationScouts hopes it's a fantastic year for you all. We're hoping it's a year full of new subtitled GCCX releases as well, and after some discussion among our team members, we decided to ask you, our (loving?) fans, for some input on episodes you'd like to see released next. A few very important notes:

• Some episodes have already been started and are in varied states of conpletion, and we intend to finish and release these episodes first. No point in shelving an episode that's already had progress made on it.
  • We are, and remain, a for-free fan translation team. That means we'll never charge for any episode, but we're also bound by the IRL schedules of our team members. As such, text-heavy episodes like EarthBound, Super Mario RPG and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney would take a longer time to finish, and as such, have lower priority.
  • As we say every release, we are looking for potential translators and timers/typesetters.
  • You can vote on as many episodes as you want, but keep it to three episodes per season at maximum.
  • We want to reach as many people as possible, so please share this post with your GCCX-loving friends.

Thanks for reading and replying and we hope to have a year full of great releases.

Best, LocationSubs team

Season 17:

Season 18:

Season 19:

Season 20:

Season 21:

Season 22:

Season 23:

Season 24:

Season 25:

Season 26:

Season 27: