• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Game Pass |ST| A (Scarlet) Nexus of Hope

1upmuffin

Sand Pounder
Community Liaison
Hello! If you know me from the Pipeline Discord you know that I play games from all the consoles + PC + retro, I like games! When you play games for a long time you tend to stick to your areas sometimes, and play it safe, AKA buy games from genres I like from developers I already like. Games are a big commitment, both in time and money, so spending $60 to potentially hate something? It's a hard sell, especially since there's not as many demos today as their used to be, and game rentals are not as common (RIP Blockbuster, fond memories of renting N64 and PS2 games there).

Game Pass has been a solution to this problem for me. I can try games now in genres I'd never consider buying before such as Crusader Kings 3, which is totally out of my wheelhouse but I had a great time trying and failing to take over parts of Europe. Also, I recently tried Skatebird, and hated it, was glad that I played it through a subscription so I didn't waste any money on it, cute idea, very bad execution.

This thread is ideally for what you're currently playing on Game Pass as well as asking for recommendations.

What I'm looking forward to trying out next is Scarlet Nexus, part of a wave of games just added during TGS, pictured below. Also need to get back to Banjo Kazooie, and maybe Yakuza Zero (I like Yakuza story a lot but wish I liked the game part more...).

FAkRP9gVcC4klgr

I bought Scarlet Nexus at launch and 1000/1000d it within a couple weeks. It is a fantastic game. If you have Gamepass, do not sleep on this game.

I'm excited to give it a go, the action looks solid
For the most heavy handed twists and turns with the story that leaves you really wondering what the heck is happening, play Kasane’s story first. Yuito’s story is more straight forward and experiencing his first could take away a lot of the mystery and intrigue you will get playing Kasane’s first.

So I purchased my first Xbox earlier this year and Game Pass has been a great tool for me to experience franchises that I have never touched before. So far I have played games from

-Halo Mastercheif Collection
-Fable
-Gears of War
-Ori
-Crimson Skies

Not to mention I have played indie games and other smaller titles as well. I played What Remains of Edith Finch. Man did that game go places. I have also used it to play NBA 2K. Hopefully annual sports games on Game Pass becomes a thing going forward.

Last night I downloaded Marvel's Avengers. Looking forward to giving that a try and seeing what the fuss is about. Also looking forward to day one stuff such as Age of Empires IV, Forza, and Halo.

My gamertag is Josh5890 if anyone wants to add me.

Just gonna get in early and give a hearty recommendation to Sea of Thieves. I've been playing this regularly with friends for a year or two now and I absolutely adore it. I won't do the bit of claiming it can be solo'ed lol it's very much a co-op game but for fans of the old rare games, a lot of that magic and humor is still in there! Game Pass is a really nice resource for groups to sync their game library and options together so no one is left out or has to buy a game full price and SoT is the best co-op adventure game on there imo.

Anyway, back to sailing the salty waters of having bought Scarlet Nexua on xbox, not having the time to finish it, and now it's on GP 😂 (it's good!)

Finally playing Nier Automata right now and enjoying my time with it. Maybe Scarlet Nexus will be my next "bigger" game.

Finished up (1000/1000) Night in the Woods before it left. Liked the story/plot, gameplay was mostly fine - I did not really like the bass playing mini game.

Did they say which games are leaving mid month?

Getting Scarlet Nexus on Game Pass was a big win for me. I was lamenting the fact it wasn't on sale during the current Big In Japan sale, and them boom, it's on Game Pass lol. I had been planning on buying it since missing its last discount, but Comrade Phil came in clutch.

It's a lot of fun too. Super satisfying to throw cars around with your mind while also slashing and dodging enemies.

Hoping to join in on the gamepass fun if I can find an Xbox Series X sometime in the next year xD. (my gaming PC hardly qualifies as a gaming PC at this point).

Nice, a good Xbox focused thread. I’ll be getting my halo special edition Xbox series x next month if all goes well and I’m going all in on game pass.

I will renew a month just to claim October's Games with Gold titles. I will try to finish Judgement and Scarlet Nexus.

Tales of Vesperia leaves XGP for PC on the 16th, guess I'm playing that this week so I can finish it

Hoping to join in on the gamepass fun if I can find an Xbox Series X sometime in the next year xD. (my gaming PC hardly qualifies as a gaming PC at this point).

Hope you can find one soon, it's a really well made console, quick resume is honestly a big selling point for me.

I will renew a month just to claim October's Games with Gold titles. I will try to finish Judgement and Scarlet Nexus.

Yes, I'm excited to play Harmony of Despair!

Apparently the 1 month of GP Ultimate for 1 € offer worked yesterday for me despite not being a new user. I wanted to pick up Harmony of Despair using Games with Gold and got pleasantly surprised with this.

Oh well, Scarlet Nexus seems to be a good game to pick up, so i'll give it a go.

I’m currently playing Sable on Gamepass on my Series S and I’m getting all different kinds of emotional from it. The artstyle and soundtrack is amazing and it’s very well written. Amazing game.

I'm about to finish Psychonauts 2, only got a couple hours left I believe.

Then I think I'll try Mighty Goose which just launched on GP. It has great looking pixel art and seems short enough to slide in before Metroid Dread releases.

In addition to Tales of Vesperia, Gonner2, ScourgeBringer and Katana Zero are leaving Game Pass (Console) soon / mid-month according to the app.

On PC, Heave Ho and Swords of Ditto: Mormo's Curse leave as well.

I'm about to finish Psychonauts 2, only got a couple hours left I believe.

Then I think I'll try Mighty Goose which just launched on GP. It has great looking pixel art and seems short enough to slide in before Metroid Dread releases.

You're me yesterday. I finished Psychonauts 2 and started Mighty Goose a little later.
Waiting Metroid Dread too.

I'll play Scarlet Nexus or Somnium Files after Metroid Dread probably.

A few of us from the Game Pass discord got some Halo Infinite BTB games in, and it was great. I'm super excited for launch in December lol.

Also for those unaware: even if you've used the $1 new user conversion, you can still convert Gold to GPU at a rate of a single month of GPU sub cost, up to three years. It works the same was as the $1 method, they just charge you for a month of GPU instead of $1. It's still a great deal, just make sure your current sub has lapsed first.

Scarlet Nexus is so good, really enjoying my time with it. Combat feels great, loving the telekinesis and the character powers and how they're integrated. Great vibes, I dig the visual style and the story.

I just think that the writing can feel flat at times, and most of the characters doesn't really leave much of an impression. Like, imagine if the intermission sessions in the Hideout with the bonding sequences were much more elaborate and contained some deep development, that would elevate the game so much in my opinion.

A few of us from the Game Pass discord got some Halo Infinite BTB games in, and it was great. I'm super excited for launch in December lol.

Also for those unaware: even if you've used the $1 new user conversion, you can still convert Gold to GPU at a rate of a single month of GPU sub cost, up to three years. It works the same was as the $1 method, they just charge you for a month of GPU instead of $1. It's still a great deal, just make sure your current sub has lapsed first.

Oh yeah I finally got to play this, big team is great so far in infinite, glad it’s getting more focus this time than in 5.

Series S+ Gamepass has been one of my more delightful purchases , admittedly I still need to get to playing it more , but already for this year have played more on my xbox/a home console than i have in the last 4 ish years . It’s been a great box for testing out indie games and also for getting some “aaa” games i otherwise would have no interest in buying , excited to tackle scarlet nexus , and have been nibbling my way through psychonauts 2 .

Oh yeah I finally got to play this, big team is great so far in infinite, glad it’s getting more focus this time than in 5.

Big Team totally made the game for me. I'm not a big fan of Arena outside of party modes, and tend to gravitate towards Big Team. BTB in Infinite is gonna be soooo good.

The vehicles seemed to have some kinda floaty physics though. The mongoose in particular flipped around more than I remember in previous games.

Aw man, I thought Moonglow Bay was hitting GP this week but it was put back to the 26th 😢 has anyone been following this game? I originally caught it on the wholesome games direct over the summer and it feels very in line with Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley type chill life sim with a specific focus on fishing and cooking, so I could see it resonating with switch owners who have access to GP. I'll drop a trailer in below

Mighty Goose is a really good time for anyone into run and guns like Metal Slug or Contra. The game leans more the former than the latter, but it's great no matter how you shake it.

Started Unsighted, since I read that it was an excellent metroidvania.

It appears that it hasn´t made much of an impact, which is a shame, it reminds me of Jedi Fallen Order in the sense that it combines a lot of genres but manages to have its own identity.

This game has metroidvania, dark souls and og Zelda (it has dungeons) elements, with a twist, the main character and all the npcs in the game are literally running out of time to live in-game.

While optional, on the normal difficulty you start the game with some 300 hundred in-game hours (so they are not real time hours, for example I have played like 3.5 hours so far and 150 hours have passed, more or less) to finish the game, before the main character dies, since supposedly if you run out of time its a perma-death.

Luckily part of the loot you can find is more time, which you can use on yourself or the npcs, its a pretty interesting mechanic. So you can be in situations where you have to make the choice between saving extra time items just in case or losing permanently the npc that upgrades your weapons, its great.

The game is tense thanks to this mechanic, which I honestly found to be really stressing (in the good way) many times, it also helped to give urgency to the story, since even when doing side content I had to take into account that it actually impacted the main story of the game, because time is a resource. The souls like combat is responsive and has good game-feel too.

The game keeps growing on me, while I had some issues getting adjusted to the artstyle since at the start I would sometimes get confused on what was a platform and what wasn´t. I got used to it.

Really recommend it, one of the best metroidvanias I have ever played.

Played Superliminal on Game Pass recently, was trippy but really good with all the fake outs and hidden areas. Good length for what it is too.

I am over the moon excited for new AOE and Forza tho. They're right around the corner now!

Status update from a week ago:
Nope didn't come close to finishing Tales of Vesperia before it leaves tomorrow. Dread came out and yeah nothing else mattered lol. I haven't even touched famiboards either due to it.

Aw man, I thought Moonglow Bay was hitting GP this week but it was put back to the 26th 😢 has anyone been following this game? I originally caught it on the wholesome games direct over the summer and it feels very in line with Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley type chill life sim with a specific focus on fishing and cooking, so I could see it resonating with switch owners who have access to GP. I'll drop a trailer in below

Ooh thanks for the highlight! Very interested

Playing Back4blood on PC gamepass with some friends and it's a blast! The PC version also looks and runs really well.

I got a Series S earlier this year and even if it's just become a Gamepass (and ESO) machine for me that's still super worth it.

Can't wait to check out Scarlet Nexus when I'm done with the other games I'm currently playing.

The problem with Oblivion being on Gamepass is that it always morphs into literally the only thing I play for a solid month when I click on it. Way too dangerous.

Need to go back and finish Dragon Quest builders 2, made it to the fortress island. And try dodgeball academia. Sadly the Yakuza combat is dragging the game too far down for me

I see, well, if that happen I will get the sequel instead, just to support Sega, even if I know the game will be added to the program in a few months 😅

You could still buy Judgment itself if it comes to GP...with a bonus discount. :love:

Game Pass is great for trying things out that I probably never would have spent money on otherwise.

I played through The Outer Worlds on Series X after the next gen update and quite enjoyed it for what it is. It's also given me access to a good selection of indie games I've played that are easy to pick up, like Carto, Donut County, Ikenfell, and the like.

Game Pass is great for trying things out that I probably never would have spent money on otherwise.

I played through The Outer Worlds on Series X after the next gen update and quite enjoyed it for what it is. It's also given me access to a good selection of indie games I've played that are easy to pick up, like Carto, Donut County, Ikenfell, and the like.
I bought Back 4 Blood on PS5 right after spending two hours with it on game pass, have done that with quite a few games. I love this service for that and as a I'm bored, what can I play for a bit, especially with instant cloud streaming to see if I want to commit to the download.

Back 4 Blood seems good, played some of the first act with some friends. The card system isn't my favorite but the core gameplay is solid.

Downloaded the Good Life but haven't started, and have not touched Scarlet Nexus yet.

Back 4 Blood seems good, played some of the first act with some friends. The card system isn't my favorite but the core gameplay is solid.

Downloaded the Good Life but haven't started, and have not touched Scarlet Nexus yet.
I think a lot of people will end up enjoying the card system. I was iffy on it during the beta and at the very beginning, but when your options open up it's a lot of fun experimenting and tailoring builds for how you want to play. It's also exciting right now because there isn't a meta, but that would only matter with tryhard rando's anyway.

I haven’t been able to play Back 4 Blood. Every time I launch it it fails to sign in.

Is anyone else unable to install or launch any PC Xbox games? I've done all kinds of things to try and solve it. Restart PC, update Windows, update Xbox app, unusually and reinstall gaming services, uninstall and reinstall Xbox app both through windows store and through the installer, used the reset function to delete the Xbox app's data and then reinstalled it again. Started yesterday, but was fine for months before. Steam, EGS, DRM free games etc all work fine. Just want to play Norco through game pass but no other Xbox games will launch or install either.

Edit: worked again after reinstalling windows.

Last edited:
I didn't want to open a thread just for this and not want to make a full frontpage for the game that clearly don't deserve it (I chose this thread because it is on Game Pass) but Digital Foundry released their tech review of Atomic Heart today, the day of the first "anniversary" of the Russian invasion. While I'm certain they didn't do it on purpose, it's still a bad taste and the fact that none of the team give a single shit about everything behind the game (they already said that they review "games they hate and don't agree with the views of rowling -for example-") but I don't see this as something to be proud of, more like a "Actually, both sides..." and "No political message in our game about American Governement doing some undercover actions in a 'Sepia Filter' country"

For more context about Atomic Heart and its studio Mundfish :

Back
Top Bottom