• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Game Boy DX - Hacks that convert GB games into GBC ones

Are these playable on Analogue Pocket? A Digital Foundry video said they didn't work, but that was from over a year ago.

I played through SML2 DX on one, using an Everdrive. I'd be surprised if they said they can't work though, unless they just meant loading it from an SD card since that wasn't supported.

Hmm.. that's weird, because the screenshot with the SGB border says v2.0. You can't even get the border with the latest version on rhdn. I wonder if that screenshot is just a mockup. Oh well, thanks anyway. And yes, I already have Castlevania - The Adventure DX, but I appreciate you letting me know!

Mega Man World 5 DX has had a big update!

http://www.romhacking.net/news/2897/

newsimage2897a.png

This thread has somehow escaped me but many of these look absolutely gorgeous and make me want to revisit some childhood classics.

In case you missed it elsewhere, toruzz has revealed what he's been working on, and it's an official release of Trip World DX.

Damn this looks sooooo good. Pity I just replayed it on NSO but will definitely try it when I can.

I'm an art director that would love to try and take on a gameboy DX-style colorization are there any programs or recommendations that I could get started with? The coloring part seems hard but is there something out there that makes it accessible to try?

I'm an art director that would love to try and take on a gameboy DX-style colorization are there any programs or recommendations that I could get started with? The coloring part seems hard but is there something out there that makes it accessible to try?
There is a tool called GB Colorizer, but the results are rather poor.

AFAIK Marc Max, the author of several of the good colorization hacks, wrote a tool himself, but it was never released to the public. You might try to get in contact with him. Toruzz, another very good hacker, recently wrote these two posts on the subject:

There is a tool called GB Colorizer, but the results are rather poor.

AFAIK Marc Max, the author of several of the good colorization hacks, wrote a tool himself, but it was never released to the public. You might try to get in contact with him. Toruzz, another very good hacker, recently wrote these two posts on the subject:
Here is a new post from this amazing series:

And Marc Max shared some snippets of Donkey Kong 94 DX, Mole Mania DX and Spanky DX. They look soooo good, I can't wait to play them!

Tetris Rosy Retrospective DX. Arguably the best version of GB Tetris

The hack should be used on top of the original Rosy Retrospective, which added:
  • Implement Super Rotation System
  • Shadow piece
  • Three previews
  • Use SELECT to hold
  • 7-Bag with new pseudo-random number generator
  • “Hard drop” and saving from “Classic Harddrop” hack
  • Redesigned screen layout
  • New demos
  • Award spin clears
  • Faster “delayed auto shift”
  • Lock delay
  • Faster line clear
  • Extend the field by four invisible lines
  • New game over condition
  • Adjust difficulty
  • Higher start location
  • Fix two bugs in the original game

With how colourful they've made the stage, feels weird they've stuck so rigidly to the SGB colours for the map. The level markers are the way they are because they share the same palette as Mario does (since pallettes are drawn on top of the game) whereas on GBC I'm assuming the same limitation doesn't apply. A more obvious discrepancy is the sky; bright blue in the level, but a lot duller on the map.

Back
Top Bottom