• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

The Switch was good from the beginning. Don’t really care what some weirdos on Gaf thought. When you saw what the Switch was you knew this could be a very good selling system. It had good feedback from the get go. Didn’t see this kind of success at all, but very good.

When you saw the Wii U it already had issues. People questioning if it’s just an add on (how do you screw this up Nintendo?). Garbage name of a system. Still chasing casuals (hello they left years ago, this isn’t 2006 anymore).

I am making an assumption, for the sake of discussion lol.
I just wanted to see where the general opinion lies with Nintendo fans. Do people agree with me in wanting Nintendo to continue their trend of making interesting, sometimes questionable, hardware gimmicks or are people ready for Nintendo to take the route that Microsoft and Sony take by just improving the overall hardware and not really thinking outside the box in any creative way (not to discredit the amount of work it takes to improve these hardware specs of course!) I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, but am just curious as to how people feel on the subject!
Nintendo will continue with making interesting hardware “gimmicks” but they will mostly be peripherals at this point. I don’t see Nintendo doing that with their main product line currently; as their last three presidents have talked about not going back to the WiiU years financially, audience retention/migration, & digital ownership. It’s safe to assume they wanna make lots of money so not rocking the boat much is the road for that.

Nintendo will continue with making interesting hardware “gimmicks” but they will mostly be peripherals at this point. I don’t see Nintendo doing that with their main product line currently; as their last three presidents have talked about not going back to the WiiU years financially, audience retention/migration, & digital ownership. It’s safe to assume they wanna make lots of money so not rocking the boat much is the road for that.
I agree. Stuff like Labo and Ring Fit represent Nintendo exercising its weirder tendences. I don't expect to see many hardware gimmicks on core consoles going forward except for things like cameras, sensors, etc that enable more oddball products down the line. Nothing core to the experience.

I want to gauge the opinion of how others feel, so I'll ask this:

would your prefer the successor to the Switch to be largely the same as the current Switch, but with improvements to the internal components and maybe slightly redesigned joycon with some more refined and new features, or would you prefer something radically new, introducing concepts never explored by other game consoles before?

Every console since the original DS seemed to have some kind of "gimmick" that really set Nintendo's consoles apart from the others. I personally can't see myself getting too excited about a "Switch 2" if all it brings to the table is prettier graphics and better framerates. I want something more exciting and creative too, but feel Nintendo has kinda backed themselves into a corner now and are kinda forced to continue with the Switch concept from here on out... but what do you all think?

My stance is this:

Gimme the current Switch with more juice and better Joy-Cons

I think they potentially COULD add a gimmick or two but it’d have to be something that third parties could safely ignore, like the IR camera or HD Rumble. While it’s fun to think of Nintendo returning to the bonk-wild gimmicks the likes of DS/Wii, I think they’d rather just play it safe.

I agree. Stuff like Labo and Ring Fit represent Nintendo exercising its weirder tendences. I don't expect to see many hardware gimmicks on core consoles going forward except for things like cameras, sensors, etc that enable more oddball products down the line. Nothing core to the experience.
The only “gimmick” Switch had was the Joy-Con which would be the only thing that I can think of that would be further developed like being bendable of different types. But I just don’t see that as likely.

The only “gimmick” Switch had was the Joy-Con which would be the only thing that I can think of that would be further developed like being bendable of different types. But I just don’t see that as likely.
I mean, the Switching itself is the core gimmick, and it's a good one. The JoyCon are additive to that.

But stuff like NFC, the IR Camera, the detailed accelerometers, etc are the sorts of hardware aspects I'm thinking about. Non-mandatory capabilities that allow for unusual peripheral experiences later on.

would your prefer the successor to the Switch to be largely the same as the current Switch, but with improvements to the internal components and maybe slightly redesigned joycon with some more refined and new features, or would you prefer something radically new, introducing concepts never explored by other game consoles before?

Every console since the original DS seemed to have some kind of "gimmick" that really set Nintendo's consoles apart from the others. I personally can't see myself getting too excited about a "Switch 2" if all it brings to the table is prettier graphics and better framerates. I want something more exciting and creative too, but feel Nintendo has kinda backed themselves into a corner now and are kinda forced to continue with the Switch concept from here on out... but what do you all think?
The defining feature of the Switch is its ability to switch. Or to put that a different way, the switching feature allows games to be played in a variety of ways without strictly mandating the use any single one. All previous Nintendo "gimmicks" were effectively mandatory features, which allowed for some creative gameplay but also limited the appeal and flexibility of the hardware.

A successor should build upon the current feature set, either by improving those features and/or implementing new ones. That means the form factor will stay largely the same, but that's definitely a good thing. Unless significant changes to that form factor come with an equal amount of flexibility, then any attempt to do so will very likely result in worse player satisfaction and an eventual net loss of players.

This is effectively the same position that smartphones are currently in. There haven't been many significant changes to the smartphone form factor in over a decade, but that's because there doesn't need to be one. As cool as radically new ideas can be, most people wouldn't want that if it came at the cost of present features and usability.

It depends on the gimmick. Switch is almost at the point where I don't care about better hardware, but I would rather not buy a separate handheld for 3rd party support if they can at least keep a similar support for the next system.

There's no reason for them to chose though. One of Switch strengths is in modularity. Release a safe upgrade one year, introduce some new gimmick Joycon in another (and it could even be compatible with OG Switch). Bundle the new Joycon with the first games which truly showcases it and profit on both fronts.

As for innovation wish list... What I would love the most is an improvement over current dual sticks (beyond gyro). Character movement is getting more and more complex, but we're just using the same setup as 20 years ago and simply adding buttons or automating things to compensate.

Gimmicks come in various categories, you just need to successfully identify in which one you gotta sort them.

Stuff like LABO, Kinect and so on is category peripherals. Won't become standard, won't really dig out a solid hold in the market.

Dual screen (for the sake of being lazy i count Wii U in that one) is a curious one as it could work as a "main focus gimmick" or can't.

Stuff like hybrid systems, removable controllers and so on are more "down to earth", have an easy to see/understand impact and work as a main focus gimmick.

Imo, Nintendo should keep doing hybrid systems and add on those with useful and synergetic gimmicks. And keep the totally left side stuff as side peripherals / games / projects.

I mean, the Switching itself is the core gimmick, and it's a good one. The JoyCon are additive to that.

But stuff like NFC, the IR Camera, the detailed accelerometers, etc are the sorts of hardware aspects I'm thinking about. Non-mandatory capabilities that allow for unusual peripheral experiences later on.
While switching is the core gimmick the joy-cons are not really additive. They are the main hammering point of the device. As they show off the switching but also that you can use this device your way. Without them you have a Steam Deck, which isn’t bad but doesn’t exactly have the same effect.

But yes they need to improve, use, & add more of these smaller ancillary tech.

While switching is the core gimmick the joy-cons are not really additive. They are the main hammering point of the device. As they show off the switching but also that you can use this device your way. Without them you have a Steam Deck, which isn’t bad but doesn’t exactly have the same effect.

But yes they need to improve, use, & add more of these smaller ancillary tech.
I agree. I meant to imply that the JoyCon are an aspect of the switching gimmick, not something that stands alone.

Much as I love Nintendo's bizarre gimmicks and would love to see them continue, I'd almost prefer they take a little bit of a backseat for the sake of improved processing power in the short term. The Switch is a good concept that had good execution and only needs refinement right now. If they want to make custom Joycons for specific games (I dunno, a crank wheel or something for in-depth fishing games or to power a flashlight in a steampunk horror game or some other minigame shenanigans), I think that's possible. Success may not be guaranteed, but then I still bought a Wii Fit Balance board and didn't use it much even with Shaun White and Rabbids. Nintendo only cares that I bought it and enough third parties started making use of it.

If they take the time to really work and refine a gimmick, giving it time to shine and really market it's uniqueness in like a decade or so, I think they can reinvent the wheel successfully. I just don't think they need to do it yet.

Switch has plenty of gimmicks, and I'm sure some new ones will show up for Switch 2, but they are just not forced on the player or developers in the way they were for previous consoles. Which is significantly better considering:
A. It often made it difficult or impossible for certain games and genres to be supported on the platform.

B. Without bespoke remasters/ports, a lot of games from those eras are dramatically more difficult to make playable on modern hardware.

The only gimmick they need are optional joycons in the style of other controllers like Joycon with GC or N64 layout. 3D screen maybe, but It'll take a long while before this can be considered. For now, specs is king especially for a handheld. Imagine if the gameboy advance was able to play Gamecube games, that would be its biggest gimmick.

In all honesty, I’d prefer if Nintendo just refined what they already have rather than add what they don’t, to a degree that is. I wouldn’t mind a new gimmick if it builds on the already existing gimmick, but that seems more like a refinement of a feature than an addition of a new feature.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

The underlying technology platform that powers Stadia has been proven at scale and transcends gaming. We see clear opportunities to apply this technology across other parts of Google like YouTube, Google Play, and our Augmented Reality (AR) efforts — as well as make it available to our industry partners, which aligns with where we see the future of gaming headed.
I do wonder if Google's approached Nintendo to see if Nintendo's interested in using the same technology Google Stadia uses. One scenario that comes to mind is to offer cloud versions of Nintendo games that are exclusive to Nintendo's hardware equipped with Drake to people still using the Nintendo Switch as an option.
(I know that Google's killing off Google Stadia, because Google is Google. And I think Nintendo's probably better off partnering with Nvidia with using at least a very similar technology to GeForce Now in that scenario.)

Thanks for sharing these. The LPDDR5 is consuming less power than I thought. Orin NX uses the same memory config as we're expecting for Drake (128 bit LPDDR5 operating at up to 6400MT/s), and I was expecting a bit over 3W, but we're seeing just 1.8W here. Similar to the power draw of the LPDDR4 in the original Switch, from my recollection.

Stupid question,

I would assume at some point games will start building in support for the new Switch model and those changes may be visible on hacked OG Switches. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Nintendo might have a Smart Delivery option lined up, but I would assume there might be some indications of hooks for higher quality assets, if not outright NVN2.

Thanks for sharing these. The LPDDR5 is consuming less power than I thought. Orin NX uses the same memory config as we're expecting for Drake (128 bit LPDDR5 operating at up to 6400MT/s), and I was expecting a bit over 3W, but we're seeing just 1.8W here. Similar to the power draw of the LPDDR4 in the original Switch, from my recollection.
Imo it just looks better for the portable mode of things. Even if they go with 68-88GB/s, it should be closer to 1W than to 2W of consumption.

Which can give a bit more wiggle room.

Stupid question,

I would assume at some point games will start building in support for the new Switch model and those changes may be visible on hacked OG Switches. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Nintendo might have a Smart Delivery option lined up, but I would assume there might be some indications of hooks for higher quality assets, if not outright NVN2.
Not a stupid question. It's not impossible that something like that would slip out, but I wouldn't bet on it occurring, or if it does occur that someone would catch it.

The scenario would need to be 1) a game already on Switch, 2) that is receiving Drake updates, and 3) has an unrelated update go between now and Drake release, 4) probably near enough to Drake release that whatever dev branch is doing Drake patches is merged into mainline

My dream would be VR controllers like these (with the appropriate changes, of course)

Then they would release a VR HMD in the future that could be sold for like $150.

Stupid question,

we don't know, but I wouldn't assume so. my expectation is that there will be a dedicated profile for Drake and Switch, hacked or not, can't trigger that

There's been a lot of gimmick and accessory talk and I was thinking recently of how Nintendo could continue their 1.5-2 year switch model release cadence if Nvidia manufactures Drake on 4nm and negates the need for a shrink so thought I would share my thoughts.

In my opinion, Nintendo has moved past its era of having their consoles be the method by which they introduce new ways to play. With the DS it was the touch screen, the Wii had the motion controls and the 3ds has stereoscopic 3d, in ways they were innovative and really made Nintendo stand out as an alternative to the HD twins as we now know them, in others they added extra barriers to developers launching their games on Nintendos platforms by way of having to adapt titles to these control schemes or added gimmicks. The WiiU was the biggest failure in this regard. Some of Nintendos "gimmicks" have survived to the betterment of gaming, motion controls in particular offer an objectively better experience when aiming in shooters for example.

With that being said, Nintendo does still pursue bringing new experiences by launching accessories such as labo, ring fit, mk live etc. These titles have varying levels of success with ring fit being the most successful at over 10 million sales, you could argue these experiences likely do bring new players to the platform, what they don't do however is offer new universal ways to enjoy switch beyond their specific title. The accessories are locked in to their release title.

This is why I would argue against Nintendo ever releasing a switch that was VR focussed, it either locks them into that gimmick or it achieves the worst of both worlds with a display and experience that's not ideal for VR and not the optimal choice for a handheld console. But what could Nintendo do to reinvigorate sales and offer different experiences that are translatable across multiple titles and also do not compromise the switch experience?

One such example would be the addition of a camera and microphone to the switch on a location where it would also function in docked mode. Such an addition could add fun new experiences such as Augmented reality games that track the movement of the player in their environment and voice assistants to the operating system. Two simple and relatively cheap additions could enhance the experience overall. There are an unlimited number of possibilities for this tech to be used in games as we have seen with the 3ds.

But what of accessories? Nintendo often sends out surveys asking about how people play their switch. Are you playing mostly docked, docked and handheld in the home, handheld outside the home etc. This analysis has a purpose. Its likely data from these surveys that spawned the existence of the Lite, as a sufficient demographic may have indicates they mostly play handheld. If there was a sufficient demographic who mostly play docked but also play handheld in the home only then I can see them releasing an accessory to give a premium handheld experience that's based in the home only. How do they do that?

With the new switch being DLSS capable I see the docked product being capable of providing an adequate VR or glass style AR experience. With something similar to their wireless streaming tech from the WiiU and some compression I could see them releasing a lightweight headset that communicates with a docked switch wirelessly to give that experience. All the hardware would need is audio capability, wireless receiver and some fixed function video Decode hardware to receive a signal from the docked switch in order to display in a headset. The wireless streaming would have to be done from switch to headset as relying on people's WiFi would vary too wildly. This could disrupt wireless play but there are ways around that, for example a Dock with its own WiFi 6e chip could be part of the package and use the 6GHZ frequency to stream the video output. Could also house the charging bay for the headset.

What this would offer is an additional off screen play option for those who can't always have the TV that would be more premium and more comfortable than handheld play and completely immersive. With being a father to a toddler I fit that demographic and would jump on it. It would also offer other AR/VR experience options for developers and Nintendo without disrupting the essence of what a switch is. It's an optional accessory much like labo and ring fit, albeit just a bit more high tech.

This is just one example, but this is how I think Nintendo will continue to deliver gimmicks. They are a toy maker and accessorising the console in this way allows them to bring in new players who wish to enjoy these new experiences without compromising their core platform.

Not a stupid question. It's not impossible that something like that would slip out, but I wouldn't bet on it occurring, or if it does occur that someone would catch it.

The scenario would need to be 1) a game already on Switch, 2) that is receiving Drake updates, and 3) has an unrelated update go between now and Drake release, 4) probably near enough to Drake release that whatever dev branch is doing Drake patches is merged into mainline
Skyrim releasing today made me ponder the question. I also wonder if MK8D might be a candidate

DRAM node progression + efficiency improvements from 4 to 4X to 5 being enough to practically compensate for moving four times as many bits is kind of mind blowing, actually.
It also delays my longer term fears of RAM energy needs growing out of control for handheld mode.

If Nintendo ditches cartridges I will ditch them because I cannot collect or second hand sell their products anymore. I don't think I am the only one and I think Nintendo knows.
Ultimately they would only push their customers more towards piracy.

Also, I believe Nintendo will be the last to remove physical media seeing as they differ from the rest in that they are primarily toy makers/entertainment sellers. They also have a lot more to lose when they decide to drop this.

Apple and Google have other primary incomes so it could benefit them way better. Also the entire mobile crowd is conditioned to buy apps, not collectables.
I think we're inches from Nintendo dropping cartridges and Sony and MS dropping optical disks.

I dropped physical media in ~2015 and I'm really not looking back. In fact I found a box of Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS games in a closet this last weekend and am planning to take a trip to the local game store to offload them. Last time I did this I ended up selling a Gamecube digital video cable for pennies. I really don't care, I just want someone to get use out of them.

The other thing I found were a pair of unopened new 2DS XL units that I got from Target on clearance a few years back for cheap. I may have to ebay those. They look like they go for like $350 now.

The Switch was good from the beginning. Don’t really care what some weirdos on Gaf thought. When you saw what the Switch was you knew this could be a very good selling system. It had good feedback from the get go. Didn’t see this kind of success at all, but very good.

When you saw the Wii U it already had issues. People questioning if it’s just an add on (how do you screw this up Nintendo?). Garbage name of a system. Still chasing casuals (hello they left years ago, this isn’t 2006 anymore).
Yeah, "I remember everyone claiming the switch was doomed" doesn't track with my memory of its pre-launch period at all. It was clear from the way that very first reveal trailer got spread far and wide that the masses were on board with the Switch in the way that they never were with the Wii U. Nintendo had found a compelling unique selling point and they communicated it clearly.

The negative sentiment only showed up in January, when they announced the pricing, and even then that was only amongst the vocal minority of geeks on places like GAF that have always over-indexed the importance of pricing and specs. They were making weird scenarios about how much it would cost to buy a Switch and three pairs of joy-cons and extra docks and jewel-encrusted chalices, while the wider market was just like "wait, Zelda comes out in two months?! and it's just $299?"

So what will you people do if Nintendo decides to stick a 6000mah battery in this thing? Will 8nm be more viable? Will this system explode, and what does a 6000mah battery and 5nm or better process node do for the capabilities for this system in handheld mode? Does my mother love me?

So what will you people do if Nintendo decides to stick a 6000mah battery in this thing? Will 8nm be more viable? Will this system explode, and what does a 6000mah battery and 5nm or better process node do for the capabilities for this system in handheld mode? Does my mother love me?
I think if you include a modern 6k mAh battery you’ll have more space and weight issues.

5000mAh can take up the same space I think.

But the thing would still consume a lot of energy.

And your mother does love you, yes.

How could they not? The energy density of mobile battery technology since 2017 has increased hugely, unless they want to save fat stacks by sacrificing battery life for the sake of keeping a part the same (But, the Lite uses its own unique battery, so obviously not a cost concern.), even if we assume the SAME size of battery in the next Switch, it'll have a much higher capacity. Given how much space the OLED revision board has (and assuming the next one will continue on the path of continued consolidation but with improved thermals), not only could they fit a bigger battery in the same space they have now, but it's likely, IMO, that there will be space for one that is ALSO physically larger. I think 5000-7000mAh is a reasonable expectation for the device, BUT, 4000-4500 are possible.

Yeah, "I remember everyone claiming the switch was doomed" doesn't track with my memory of its pre-launch period at all. It was clear from the way that very first reveal trailer got spread far and wide that the masses were on board with the Switch in the way that they never were with the Wii U. Nintendo had found a compelling unique selling point and they communicated it clearly.

The negative sentiment only showed up in January, when they announced the pricing, and even then that was only amongst the vocal minority of geeks on places like GAF that have always over-indexed the importance of pricing and specs. They were making weird scenarios about how much it would cost to buy a Switch and three pairs of joy-cons and extra docks and jewel-encrusted chalices, while the wider market was just like "wait, Zelda comes out in two months?! and it's just $299?"
It’s incredible how spot on most of this still is.

Wouldn't need to be an update, would it? Could be any new game released in the next months? Though since datamining is very much a known thing I suspect Nintendo might be pretty strict on such a release not getting through approval before the new hardware was even announced.

I think if you include a modern 6k mAh battery you’ll have more space and weight issues.

5000mAh can take up the same space I think.

But the thing would still consume a lot of energy.

And your mother does love you, yes.
Battery density increases by about 5% per year, which would put the 4315mah battery around 6000mah, I'd suggest that 5000mah is the sweet spot though, just what you find in both budget and high end phones, while still offering a bit more battery life. Basically would take the up to 7.5watt SoC from launch Switch and give you the same battery life at ~9watt. Also launch model had a bad screen and ram isn't taking more energy like thraktor thought...

There just has to be a reason Nintendo's custom SoC is twice our expectations.

Wouldn't need to be an update, would it? Could be any new game released in the next months?
Could be! But knowing how Nintendo Do, any games that have robust Drake support already and that haven’t yet been released are likely planned for the initial Drake slate, I would think.

But, hey, maybe Fire Emblem: Engage drops with 4 textures and I look like an idiot :)

Will we ever see the scroll wheel

Or those drift-less cons

Or an improved haptic engine for the pro controller refresh

And maybe some improvements to the joycon one though these are pretty good. Pro controller could use an update.

What about headphone jacks into the joycons….

And pro controller….

And, this’ll be controversial, but a back button that can also supplants L3/R3 so you don’t need to press all the time. Would mean your middle finger presses it.

Same for the Pro Controller….

OH, and improve the D-Pads. I don’t care what they look like. Pro Controller registers incorrect inputs for me.

And the switch buttons are just a tad too squishy…

Mmm, I’d think of more but I don’t think they really should be in a console….

Oh and one final request but this may be less possible to implement, but if your switch is losing charge, the main body, the Joycons charge the switch. When they run out they’ll simply use the main body battery and you can last longer with a single charge.

Currently, the Joycons get charged by the body, what about in reverse? Can extend the battery by a little bit.

but if your switch is losing charge, the main body, the Joycons charge the switch

I believe that it's important to have the joy-cons charged for when the console is running out of power, so you can just put it on the dock, remove the JC and keep playing. I imagine Nintendo was thinking this way when they designed it the way they did.

But I wouldn't mind if it was an optional settings.

Stupid question,

Fully functioning Drake support is something that Nintendo could trivially detect in game and update submissions. If Nintendo wants to, and one would assume that they'd definitely want to, they can block any game or with full Drake support from releasing by failing certification.

That said, bits and pieces could plausibly slip through. Games have tons of leftover and/or unfinished random crap in them, and I doubt detecting this stuff is something Nintendo is spending a whole lot of effort on. As the system nears release, Drake-specific code and assets will start making their way towards the main development branches, making them more likely to show up.

Even if the stars do align for this to happen, though, it won't necessarily be immediately obvious. Not every game gets the sort of scrutiny that, for example, most first party Nintendo games do.

apologies for bringing up week old posts but I've been wanting to quote these but just haven't gotten around to it until now, I haven't been active in a forum thread in a while 😅

Because there are many other factors at play here than gpua architecture. Also, this is not the same ampere that launched in 2020. You can say it’s ampere 2.0. It has several improvements, like a new cache structure.

The switch launched at 20nm, which in practice is much closer in performance to the 28nm of launch ps4, than it is to 16nm. As dakhil constantly points out, nm is a marketing term, and doesn’t scale linearly with performance. The evidence is quickly stacking more and more against 8nm being the node of Drake, with 5 nm being a likely candidate.

You also have a bunch of more factors like the existence of the series s, the amount of cuda cores, dlss and so on.
I have a few thoughts on this!

The first is that what sort of determines what “modern games” are isn’t the architecture of PC GPUs, it’s consoles. That’s sort of the baseline that developers seek to support. The Switch released a little over three years after the PS4 and Xbox One. But this new system seems like it’s going to release a little over two years after the PS5 and new Xbox consoles. (That’s not an insignificant difference; by all accounts big franchises like Street Fighter and Final Fantasy and Resident Evil will not have had moved onto “next gen” with exclusive games by the time the new Switch comes out, which is different from last time.) Another factor is that the new Xbox consoles and especially the PS5 have been severely supply constrained, so the industry hasn’t switched over to the new consoles being the baseline quite as fast as they have in the past. We’re still seeing major first party releases be cross-gen even two full years in and that’s sort of seeming like the new normal, in a way it wasn’t in the past.

Second, a huge focus on game development over the last decade has been to make things more scalable. This is in response to not just things like the Switch itself, but mobile games in general and even things like Microsoft releasing two different next-gen consoles for the first time (another thing that’s sort of a boon for the new Switch). A big part of the GPU performance overhead for Xbox Series X and PS5 games is rendering 4K gaming, which some people don’t care about, so there are devices like the Series S.

Which brings me to the third point, which is sort of the next Switch’s ace in the hole: DLSS. This basically allows the new Switch hardware to punch above its weight, rendering scenes at a lower resolution and using DLSS to help make up the difference. This is a feature that the other consoles don’t have, nor is it a feature the original Switch had.

Throw all these together and you have a Switch that does seem like it is meaningfully better equipped to continue getting versions of contemporaneous “modern” games from other consoles than the original Switch was.
To try and ELY5:

First, only half the story is told through the GPU. The CPU in the Erista SoC used in Switch was a BIG.little configuration, meaning it had 4 A57 cores for doing intensive tasks and 4 A53 cores for doing what I call the "minor busywork" tasks, but a game console typically doesn't have many "minor busywork" calculations to perform, so they were permanently disabled to save power consumption by Nvidia. Now, with a custom SoC commissioned explicitly by Nintendo, Nvidia has opted for a CPU that utilizes 8 A78C cores of the same size, and the power efficiency between A57 (originally designed by ARM in 2012) and A78C (designed by ARM in 2020) is quite dramatic, as ARM was incredibly focused on designing for power efficiency at peak performance.

As for the GPU (and the CPU, as well, to some extent), some of the gains you see in performance are through accelerators, specially designed units inside a CPU or GPU to calculate highly-specific types of information, usually paired up with a standard core in the CPU or GPU to pass the information back to when it finishes. For example, the reason that your phone doesn't overheat and explode when trying to play 4K compressed video is because there are accelerators in GPUs that are specialized in decompressing certain video formats like MP4 (and now AV1) and make incredibly quick work of the necessary calculations to do it, which means less raw power from the CPU or GPU itself to do it. This is why, when brand-new audio and video compression formats are introduced, they tend to make CPUs and GPUs stress and heat up substantially; they lack these little helpers who know how to do it much faster and easier.
One such accelerator in an Nvidia GPU is called a ray-tracing core (or RT core for short), which can more easily process lighting effects, which are a large strain on a GPU otherwise. RT cores were introduced in the Turing architecture in 2018 and Nvidia has made great improvements on them even in just the past 3 years. AMD chips can do ray tracing, as well, but AMD (as of 2021) lags behind Nvidia in efficiency and performance in this regard.
Another accelerator is called a Tensor core, which more easily process AI algorithmic calculations. These are the accelerators that enable DLSS, the tech that allows a lower-res image to be up-rezzed while looking nearly identical to if the image were generated at that higher resolution. DLSS and Tensor cores have also seen dramatic improvement and iteration by Nvidia, by virtue of their desire to be a leading chip maker for autonomous driving tech, but it has had significant benefits to visual outputs, as well. AMD is also developing similar technology, but again, not at the same rate as Nvidia.

It is a stroke of good timing on Nintendo's part that they are able to obtain a custom design that makes use of these well-developed technologies, as it provides these accelerators that allow it to output an image that it otherwise could not at a hybrid device's power usage. Additionally, PS5 and Xbox Series do not feature these more-performant technologies due to their chips being designed prior to AMD's advancements in these fields to keep up with Nvidia, which is why we are discussing a hybrid console outputting a 4K image and potentially being able to achieve something close enough to Xbox Series S that it has dramatically closed the gap between the new Nintendo hybrid hardware and current home consoles that was much harder with Switch and PS4.

TL; DR - it's that much more performant because the GPU is "cheating" and was designed to use shortcuts to achieve a similar result in ways current home consoles were not.

Thank you all for answering my question! I appreciate you guys elaborating on the nitty gritty of all of the new tech and the difference from now and 5 years ago. I haven't considered the fact that Xbox Series S could help close the gap between a new Switch and the latest home consoles and that's pretty cool for the outlook of the next Nintendo console.

Switch games will need a patch to take advantage of all Drake's features, but dynamic resolution and unstable/unlocked framerates will automatically increase if games just have access to Drake hardware.

In this scenario, a game I'd like to see benefit from this is MLB The Show 22 because Sony San Diego unlocked the frame rate for the game and there's very specific situations where the game can reach up to 40-50 FPS

(frame rate analysis at 4:40)

apologies for bringing up week old posts but I've been wanting to quote these but just haven't gotten around to it until now, I haven't been active in a forum thread in a while 😅

Thank you all for answering my question! I appreciate you guys elaborating on the nitty gritty of all of the new tech and the difference from now and 5 years ago. I haven't considered the fact that Xbox Series S could help close the gap between a new Switch and the latest home consoles and that's pretty cool for the outlook of the next Nintendo console.

In this scenario, a game I'd like to see benefit from this is MLB The Show 22 because Sony San Diego unlocked the frame rate for the game and there's very specific situations where the game can reach up to 40-50 FPS

(frame rate analysis at 4:40)

Off topic but I would buy a Konami Pawa Puro game if it's ever released in English. Been waiting for that game since the last game (MLB Power Pros). It has a single player campaign mode even before 2K implemented theirs.

Off topic but I would buy a Konami Pawa Puro game if it's ever released in English. Been waiting for that game since the last game (MLB Power Pros). It has a single player campaign mode even before 2K implemented theirs.

I've seen glimpses of that game and I'd probably buy it in an instant if it got localized lol

In retros0ect the switch made massive sense. Its success wasnt random

Now, if nintendo tries to come up with the next wii u gamepad, its failure will also make just as much sense.
So do you consider the Wii a “failure”?

A lot of people did because it didn’t focus on “better hardware”.

My stance is this:

Gimme the current Switch with more juice and better Joy-Cons

I think they potentially COULD add a gimmick or two but it’d have to be something that third parties could safely ignore, like the IR camera or HD Rumble. While it’s fun to think of Nintendo returning to the bonk-wild gimmicks the likes of DS/Wii, I think they’d rather just play it safe.
Playing it safe is what the other two companies do best. Nintendo is like a wild card in an Uno game.

Playing it safe is what the other two companies do best. Nintendo is like a wild card in an Uno game.
I think we'll see them focus on peripherals and features built into the controllers themselves more than console-specific gimmicks in the near future. The Switch is hot and stably so, it'd be goofy to throw a wrench in that, possibly causing disruption, for the pure sake of "doing something new". Beyond that, Nintendo Switch already stands out from the other consoles as its own unique offering and experience. There's no need to rely on anything new to continue that distinction.

Again, not saying they won't try and innovate, but I think it'll just be a lot more lowkey, and from the next Switch imo we should mostly just expect "switch but better" in how we use it.

Nothing will stop Nintendo's kooky experimentation with peripherals and alternative game modes.

Even the Game Boy with its main idea of "portable Nintendo gaming" and throughline of power and input upgrades from the Game Boy -> Game Boy Color -> Game Boy Advance had a bunch of non-traditional gaming ideas, from the (rarely used) IR sensor in the Game Boy Color, to internet connectivity through the link port, to cartridge based accessories like the eReader, gyro games, and Game Boy Camera, to console connectivity with the GameCube with its own asymmetrical multiplayer. The expandability was built in.

The Switch has felt like an evolution of this concept, either the tablet or controllers can be slotted into various accessories like the Ring-Con or a VR headset, or wirelessly connected to alternative controllers like the Pokeball Plus, or to mobile phones, Mario Kart Live, and instant cameras, or can be rotated to play games in tate mode, or the Switch can be docked and the controllers can act like remotes for motion control games, and so on etc.

I think they can continue to market future Switches as 'the Switch, but better' and be in a safe position because the hybrid concept by itself is solid, but the detachable components and tablet form factor enables a host of options than surpasses the Game Boy. I think a 'Switch' device in 2030 will feel very different, even if I will still be using it to play Zelda in pajamas on a train ride.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom