• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Should be noted, that even if you don’t have a 4K display, there is a byproduct that happens as a result of having DLSS on the system. Everything else needed to be upgraded to make it work at 30 and 60FPS.

So you get a smoother framerate for games, even non-patched games. And faster loading times.

So the system itself may do 4k, but 4k is not the only thing the system can do. It isn’t quite like the One X and the PS4P which skewed more towards GPU perf and didn’t really account for the CPU perf increase which was negligible, and that held it back; they were basically (for many titles) higher res forms of their predecessors In an aspect that they didn’t have an issue with. Sure they had a few settings that were higher, higher textures…. But that’s mostly it.

A few offered higher framerate, but it was a shaky 45-55FPS diff For them.

Erista to Dane should offer a lot more than that when used to its fullest.

Unity having DLSS built into it is gonna do wonders, provided that the games are using the high definition render pipeline. though I'm sure Nvidia can get DLSS running on the universal render pipeline

Unity having DLSS built into it is gonna do wonders, provided that the games are using the high definition render pipeline. though I'm sure Nvidia can get DLSS running on the universal render pipeline

I think it would be nice if Nvidia offered to work with miHoYo to bring DLSS support to Genshin Impact, especially if miHoYo decides to bring Genshin Impact to the DLSS model*. I imagine that although it won't be trivial, it also won't be very difficult, to add DLSS support to Genshin Impact.

I think it would be nice if Nvidia offered to work with miHoYo to bring DLSS support to Genshin Impact, especially if miHoYo decides to bring Genshin Impact to the DLSS model*. I imagine that although it won't be trivial, it also won't be very difficult, to add DLSS support to Genshin Impact.
hey look at that! (not to call adding TAA trivial or anything)

this image is probably the most proof we have of Dane being intended for 2021

Jetson_modules-Commercial_roadmap.png

Jetson_modules-Commercial_roadmap-202102.png
Just out of curiosity why is Nano next any likelier to have been Dane than Orin S?

hey look at that! (not to call adding TAA trivial or anything)

Just for context, how and when to implement motion vectors are currently being researched by the Universal Render Pipeline (URP) team at Unity. And Nvidia mentions that one of the prerequisites for DLSS is motion vectors. So the TAA assets for URP that developers have made available in the Unity Asset Store are not native to URP. Therefore, bringing DLSS support to Genshin Impact will not be a trivial task for miHoyo and Nvidia, unless miHoYo waits for motion vectors to be fully supported in URP and Nvidia to add native support for DLSS to URP afterwards, although I personally don't think the task of bringing DLSS support to Genshin Impact would be extremely difficult.

Just out of curiosity why is Nano next any likelier to have been Dane than Orin S?
There's a potential possibility of Dane being Orin S, and Nano Next being the binned variant of Dane by extension, similar to how the Jetson Nano is the binned variant of the Tegra X1, at least currently.

Last edited:
There's a potential possibility of Dane being Orin S, and Nano Next being the binned variant of Dane by extension, similar to how the Jetson Nano is the binned variant of the Tegra X1, at least currently.
Well the reason I ask is that Orin S was planned for 2022 as of 2019, while it seems Nano Next was planned for 2021 as of 2020. So unless they were somehow planning to get binned versions of Orin S a year before it launched I don't see how those two can be one in the same.

I really can't see nintendo not having "nintendo margins"

Something will be less than ideal if they persue cutedge DLSS.
They've foregone "Nintendo margins" before. Switch at launch already did, trimming down what they made per console sold substantially from Wii U. Gamecube itself was sold at a slight single-digit loss that evened out to break-even by March of the following year from launch. 3DS was selling below cost after its price cut for about a year. Switch was likely profitable from day one because Nvidia had (allegedly) over-produced the Tegra X1 expecting greater demand and Nintendo were able to get a decent deal on the basis of that.

I certainly don't expect them to lose $100 per unit, but Nintendo seems more than comfortable with slight losses and break-even hardware pricing when it feels justified to go in that direction.

Last edited:
Although I will say, the Nano Next is 2023, and considering Dane likely will have a bit of exclusivity on its timing, that would indicate a 2022 release IMHO.
I was thinking the exclusivity period for Dane could be as short as a couple of months, similar to how the Nvidia Shield TV (2019) was announced a couple of months after the release of the Nintendo Switch (2019), assuming Nvidia sticks to the original plan of releasing Nano Next in 2021.

Well the reason I ask is that Orin S was planned for 2022 as of 2019, while it seems Nano Next was planned for 2021 as of 2020. So unless they were somehow planning to get binned versions of Orin S a year before it launched I don't see how those two can be one in the same.
My guess is that Nvidia originally planned on releasing Orin S as an automotive SoC in 2022 when Nvidia formally announced the SoCs in the Orin family during GTC China 2019. But when Nintendo showed interest in Orin S, my guess is that Nvidia decided to shelve plans of releasing Orin S as an automotive SoC in 2022, which I think is one reason for Orin S only being mentioned at GTC China 2019, considering there's no mention of Orin S during GTC 2020, anytime in 2020, and during GTC 2021 (April 2021). (Of course, I could very well be wrong since I'm only guessing here.)

Last edited:
Like I keep trying to say, this is a very outdated view of game development. Modern games are built fairly generically and only optimized for consoles on an as needed basis. That need is very inversely proportional to hardware power.

Like I keep trying to say, the Dane/DLSS Switch isn’t going to get any kind of extra multiplat support than the original Switch did, despite it outputting games at ps4 pro level.

It’s about the publisher opinion on the market of the userbase, not the unique hardware. It’s not reluctance because a game like Witcher 3 can’t possibly be developed for the Switch in about a year with a minimal team. Obviously it can.

Orin S just disappeared. we'll see on the 11th if it still exists, but for the time being, I'm treating it as a non-entity. and since Orin already had a date for 2022, coming sooner didn't make much sense. Jetson Nano getting pushed back also fits with the speculation that Dane got pushed out of 2021

You got a source for your first claim with regards to Witcher 3 on next gen? Also if the Switch were more powerful, SE wouldn’t have to spend the time to manually adjust model quality.

CDPR announced Sabrr would be doing the next gen versions in Sept 2020. We had rumors before that of this being done. The game has been delayed to Summer of 2022.

It needed 2 years. A lot of work. Despite the ps5 being wayyyyy more powerful than the Switch.

And of course SE and Capcom will still have to spend the same kind of effort (publisher costs to dev) in porting games to the “Switch Pro” as Saber did on Witcher 3. Of course they will.

There is still going to be major decision making by SE/Capcom/EA/Activision/Ubisoft etc etc on whether or not to make a Switch port of certain multiplats. Of course there will.

I was thinking the exclusivity period for Dane could be as short as a couple of months, similar to how the Nvidia Shield TV (2019) was announced a couple of months after the release of the Nintendo Switch (2019), assuming Nvidia sticks to the original plan of releasing Nano Next in 2021.

My guess is that Nvidia originally planned on releasing Orin S as an automotive SoC in 2022 when Nvidia formally announced the SoCs in the Orin family during GTC China 2019. But when Nintendo showed interest in Orin S, my guess is that Nvidia decided to shelve plans of releasing Orin S as an automotive SoC in 2022, which I think is one reason for Orin S only being mentioned at GTC China 2019, considering there's no mention of Orin S during GTC 2020, anytime in 2020, and during GTC 2021 (April 2021). (Of course, I could very well be wrong since I'm only guessing here.)
Interesting theory. That makes sense to me.
Orin S just disappeared. we'll see on the 11th if it still exists, but for the time being, I'm treating it as a non-entity. and since Orin already had a date for 2022, coming sooner didn't make much sense. Jetson Nano getting pushed back also fits with the speculation that Dane got pushed out of 2021
The fact that it had a TDP of 15W made me think it was built specifically for the type of niche that Tegra X1 filled, which likely happened to draw interest from Nintendo. The reason for it disappearing is probably more about Nintendo than it is plans for it being scrapped.

What's happening on the 11th?

I think it’s supposed to mean that the timeline was reworked due to internal delays maybe or external factors, with the new roadmap being for binned chips to appear in 2023 when before it was 2021, and could have appeared the same year as the Dane unit like how the binned PS5 APU appeared and was sold by AMD separate.

If they are working with nintendo on an Orin based chip (all signs point to it being true). Do you think they would talk about it, or at least hint at it?
No. Likely under some NDA.

If they are working with nintendo on an Orin based chip (all signs point to it being true). Do you think they would talk about it, or at least hint at it?
Directly speak about new Nintendo SoCs before Nintendo says anything? Nah. At best, the only hints we'll get is what is conspicuously absent. Particularly, if we see no mention of a "T239" variant of Orin, the rumour that it is the next SoC for Nintendo seems far more likely. If it appears in Nvidia's Orin lineup, then we're back to the drawing board, I guess?

Seeing the GTA Trilogy on Switch requiring a download (likely for Vice City and San Andreas) has me wondering - we'll see cart capacity size increases on Dane / Switch 2, right?

I mean PS5 games ship on 100 GB Blu-Ray discs. Surely Nintendo can find a way to get cart sizes up to at least 60 GB.

Seeing the GTA Trilogy on Switch requiring a download (likely for Vice City and San Andreas) has me wondering - we'll see cart capacity size increases on Dane / Switch 2, right?

I mean PS5 games ship on 100 GB Blu-Ray discs. Surely Nintendo can find a way to get cart sizes up to at least 60 GB.
There's a report and a rumour about Nintendo being Macronix's first customer when it comes to Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND memory and Macronix giving Nintendo samples of Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND memory. Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND memory is speculated to be used for 64 GB Game Cards.

I think it's important to consider that stock shortage is a function of two variables: supply and demand. For PS5, it's more about demand rather than stock, since it is selling faster than PS4 launch-aligned.

It’s parsing on my part, but this is only true because Sony launched globally which the ps4 did not do and because the bot/scalper/tech enthusiast market became completely insane the last couple of years.

While all those units being scooped up by professional 3rd party sellers at every stock drop will eventually sell through to actual gamers, it is a major cause of the “fast selling” part up until now.

In any case, no doubt Sony manufactured and shipped more ps5 consoles so far than they have any previous Sony console launched aligned. Which is why complaining about “shortages” keeps getting the side eye from many.

Combining this with what we know about Dane so far (likely higher yield due to smaller die size + made on Samsung 8nm litho), I think it is still more beneficial to Nintendo to avoid holding back its release, since an early release can also re-ignite the player base sooner.

I disagree. There is no reason Nintendo couldn’t supply ~4 million units during a holiday launch period. Whatever is holding back the launch is probably some other reason (not shortages)

Nintendo doesn’t need to flood the market with New Switches, it’s not imperative. A slow roll out would be just fine. It’s an enhancement model, not a replacement. And it will probably be relatively expensive.

I think there are two possibilities in terms of which process node's used to fabricate Dane, considering IM Motors showed pics of the Orin X prototype, and IM Motors mentioned that Orin X is fabricated using a 7 nm** process node, which is probably Samsung's, considering the chip labelling on the Orin X prototype mentioned 'KR':
I think that each possibility has an equal chance of happening. If not during GTC 2021 (November 2021), maybe the first GTC 2022 event? Or Hot Chips 34? Or the second GTC 2022 event?

** → a marketing nomenclature from all foundry companies

~

So although unrelated to the DLSS model*, yuzu now supports AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution.

It is typical for cart sizes to increase each generation. 64GB carts seem like a matter of time at this point, with 128GB probably showing up in the longer term.

Whether or not said carts will be used is another story entirely. Pretty sure you can still count the number of games shipping on 32GB carts on one hand.

From what I understand, Nintendo had intended to manufacture 64GB cartridges, but as it stands, it hasn't occurred for some reason or another (and this was before COVID-19 situation made things messy). I seem to vaguely remember there being some issues with the manufacturing process, but it's been a bit.

I think there are two possibilities in terms of which process node's used to fabricate Dane, considering IM Motors showed pics of the Orin X prototype, and IM Motors mentioned that Orin X is fabricated using a 7 nm** process node, which is probably Samsung's, considering the chip labelling on the Orin X prototype mentioned 'KR':
I think that each possibility has an equal chance of happening. If not during GTC 2021 (November 2021), maybe the first GTC 2022 event? Or Hot Chips 34? Or the second GTC 2022 event?

~

So although unrelated to the DLSS model*, yuzu now supports AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution.

I do find the process discussion be it 7nm or 8nm fascinating as it probably would benefit the next Switch SoC in efficiency gains mostly.
I say this to say in comparison the Lockhart SoC inside the Series S is said to be an 8 billion transistor chip with dimensions of 197mm2 on TSMC's 7nm DUV process(which roughly gives it a transistor density of 40MTr/mm2).

Which is less dense than that of the Ampere laptop variants are getting on Samsung's 8nm process. Which I think Nintendo and Nvidia could possibly get even higher density or better yields since they will choose nowhere near max clocks for the architectures design.

Don't forget the first thing your PS5 does is copy that entire game to the SSD's (often even expanding it > 100gb) otherwise it can't load it at a decent speed. Lot of games need an additional xx gb first day patch too. It's not all sunshine and rainbows either.

It is typical for cart sizes to increase each generation. 64GB carts seem like a matter of time at this point, with 128GB probably showing up in the longer term.

Whether or not said carts will be used is another story entirely. Pretty sure you can still count the number of games shipping on 32GB carts on one hand.
Assuming the new cards are cheaper to make than the same storage size base Switch version I imagine 32GB cards will be more common for Switch 4K games and a modest amount of games will use 64GB. 128GB card games will people be really, really rare If they happen.

Don't forget the first thing your PS5 does is copy that entire game to the SSD's (often even expanding it > 100gb) otherwise it can't load it at a decent speed. Lot of games need an additional xx gb first day patch too. It's not all sunshine and rainbows either.
Oof, so you're saying most games you buy at retail have just gone the whole way to being a mere install disk? I really don't know how anyone likes this.
Faster transfer speeds off the internal/external storage and game cards are something I want for new hardware, got my fingers crossed.

Oof, so you're saying most games you buy at retail have just gone the whole way to being a mere install disk? I really don't know how anyone likes this.
Faster transfer speeds off the internal/external storage and game cards are something I want for new hardware, got my fingers crossed.
Disc drives are crazy slow and require you to inflate the game's size to reduce loading. It's the same for hdds but less so

Yeah, it's a read speed issue why it's done this way. Blu-ray drives have gotten faster, but I assume also it's done to avoid stress on the drives (which was a huge issue during the PS3 days).

If Orin S still exists, then my guess is that it probably is Dane. I don't think Nano Next is it, though. I'd expect performance comparable to, or exceeding Xavier in most aspects, and I don't imagine Nvidia planned to offer that at the $129 price point, even in cut-down binned form, when they're still selling Xavier boards at up to 5 times that price. Jetson Nano is their cheapest possible board, and my guess is that Nano Next was either planned to use better binned Mariko chips, or perhaps the 5W/10TOPS Orin ADAS SoC Nvidia announced last year. If Nano Next has been pushed back from 2021 to 2023, I'd be surprised if it's even the same chip anymore. Maybe the chip shortage and continued Switch demand meant they couldn't spare the Mariko chips, or they just outright cancelled the Orin ADAS SoC (which I don't think they've mentioned since early last year).

I think the more relevant thing to read from these diagrams is that the Orin block extends down to the mainstream ($249+) section. Orin X is a big SoC, and even in cut-down binned form they're not going to sell Jetson boards with a 400mm2+, 21 billion transistor SoC for $249 (the same they currently charge for TX2-based boards). Logically that means they must have a smaller chip in the Orin family that can replace the TX2/Xavier based mid-range boards, which is exactly where Dane would sit.

Installs have been entirely mandatory on PlayStation and Xbox since PS4/XB1.

I've said this before, but optical discs are and always have been an objectively terrible medium for running games off of. Their only real advantage is cost, particularly from a price per gigabyte perspective. PlayStation and Xbox ultimately "solved" this problem by reducing the disc to an installation medium and license key, whereas Nintendo was somewhat serendipitously forced back to cartridges by other aspects of their strategy.

Yeah, it's a read speed issue why it's done this way. Blu-ray drives have gotten faster, but I assume also it's done to avoid stress on the drives (which was a huge issue during the PS3 days).
I explained this on the old site, optical disks have too high latency to be usable as game discs, as games make lots of random access to data, and it gets worse with data density, which gives higher bandwidth but that's not what's important. BRD are technically made for playing movies, not to play games.
There's a paradigm shift between using a game medium as mere archive (BRD made for movies) like on PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS and playing the game directly from the game medium like on Switch (game cart made to play games).
This affects everything up to how a game is designed, on Switch, the game is designed to run correctly from the slower between internal storage and game cart.
On PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS, there's no difference between playing the game from a game disc or from a download: they'll both be installed on an internal storage before being played.

Relevant -

Seems to be doing FSR on Switch games in emulation. I don't understand enough of this, but it looks like most Switch games expose enough information that they were able to plug in FSR in emulation. I don't know if the same information is what's needed for DLSS.

Relevant -

Seems to be doing FSR on Switch games in emulation. I don't understand enough of this, but it looks like most Switch games expose enough information that they were able to plug in FSR in emulation. I don't know if the same information is what's needed for DLSS.
FSR is a post-process usually, at least for most uses outside of official dev-implementations (Although even in dev implementations, it only isn't true post as FSR is the last thing before UI rendering)

Relevant -

I'm fairly certain FSR doesn't have the same input requirements as DLSS since it's spatial only.

Relevant -

it's a spatial filter, it doesn't use any information. according to Dictator, it's an improved lanczos upscaler. this is probably applied after post processing and the hud being drawn. so it's not indicative of anything

So Qualcomm announced more SoCs in the Snapdragon 7, 6, and 4 series, with the Snapdragon 680 4G, the Snapdragon 695 5G, and the Snapdragon 778G+ 5G, confirmed to be fabricated using TSMC's N6 process node. So here's another reason any one of TSMC's advanced process nodes (7 nm** and more advanced) won't be used any time soon to fabricate Dane.

These announcement have led me to an obscure leaker on twitter mentioning S8cx gen 3 using A78C in a 4*3.1GHz+4*2.6GHz configuration with a 128 bit bus and a >2TFLOPs GPU. If true, that would be the first implementation of A78C making it the sole A78C on the market.

That said, it seems that a lot of ARM laptop manufacturers have switched to 888 probably due to 8cx3 suffering from 5LPE lower yields (or maybe it was supposed to be made on N6 that have been used for smaller and more profitable mobile chipsets). 8cx was a 120mm2 N7 chip after all. (That's why I am understanding from several Japanese posts on twitter).
at

Last edited:
These announcement have led me to an obscure leaker on twitter mentioning S8cx gen 3 using A78C in a 4*3.1GHz+4*2.6GHz configuration with a 128 bit bus and a >2TFLOPs GPU. If true, that would be the first implementation of A78C making it the sole A78C on the market.

That said, it seems that a lot of ARM laptop manufacturers have switched to 888 probably due to 8cx3 suffering from 5LPE lower yields (or maybe it was supposed to be made on N6 that have been used for smaller and more profitable mobile chipsets). 8cx was a 120mm2 N7 chip after all.
I doubt that since they are naming the A78C specifically. Snapdragon nomenclature avoids Arm names at every turn.

Installs have been entirely mandatory on PlayStation and Xbox since PS4/XB1.

I've said this before, but optical discs are and always have been an objectively terrible medium for running games off of. Their only real advantage is cost, particularly from a price per gigabyte perspective. PlayStation and Xbox ultimately "solved" this problem by reducing the disc to an installation medium and license key, whereas Nintendo was somewhat serendipitously forced back to cartridges by other aspects of their strategy.
It really gives an indication of a difference in mindset, as well.

On Nintendo's end, they went with game cards, likely for read speed, power efficiency, fewer moving parts and the ability to read the entire game off of them, which benefits the player, but it comes at the expense of higher prices and timeframes to fabricate copies of the game, which inconveniences publishers and leads to things like partial download-only installs as publishers want to cheap out on what game cards they use for release and Nintendo unfortunately going cheap with on-board storage capacities.

On Sony and Microsoft's end, they keep with disc media for faster fabrication of copies at a rock-bottom price, which greatly advantages the publisher, but comes with the inability to read the game directly off the physical media due to stress on moving parts and poor read speed. So while publishers get the benefit of cheap and fast game media production, Sony and Microsoft partly pay the cost of compensating for these deficits with large internal storage on their hardware, but mandatory installations mean that no amount of storage on-board will be sufficient, which means the inconvenience (and associated costs to continue this physical media method) is shunted onto the player.

Additionally, this is also reflected in Sony and Microsoft typically going with weak CPUs relative to the rest of their hardware, which inconvenience the player with uncompressed or poorly-compressed AV content in order to save CPU cycles which boost the game's package size, whereas Nintendo has always preferred more capable CPUs to allow for CPU cycles to be spent on things like decompression of AV files and other handy techniques like that to reduce game package sizes and improve the experience for the player.

That said, it seems that a lot of ARM laptop manufacturers have switched to 888 probably due to 8cx3 suffering from 5LPE lower yields (or maybe it was supposed to be made on N6 that have been used for smaller and more profitable mobile chipsets). 8cx was a 120mm2 N7 chip after all.
Which leaker mentioned the 8cx Gen 2 successor's using an octa-core configuration of the Cortex-A78C, with four Cortex-A78 cores running at a frequency of 3.1 GHz, and four Cortex-A78 cores running at a frequency of 2.6 GHz?

I know Ronald Quandt mentioned hearing about the Snapdragon SC8280, which I assume is the model number for the 8cx Gen 2 successor, having 4 Gold+ cores running at a frequency of 2.7 GHz, and 4 Gold core running at a frequency of 2.43 GHz, as well as having a NPU running at 15 TOPS. And Ronald Quandt seems to be vindicated by a Geekbench 5 score, with a single-core score of 1007 and a multicore score of 4456, uploaded on 28 July 2021, with the model listed as "Qualcomm QRD", the name listed as "Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3", and the base frequency listed as "2.69 GHz". So Ronald Quandt's description of the CPU cores on the 8cx Gen 2 successor does seem to describe an octa-core configuration of the Cortex-A78C.

Digital Chat Station has heard on 7 April 2021 that Qualcomm has secured enough capacity for TSMC's N6 process node and TSMC's N5 process node. So who knows?

I don't know if Arm's willing to optimise the Cortex-A710 for a 10 nm** process node for a hypothetical Cortex-A78C successor specifically for Nvidia, assuming Arm still plans to have a 7 nm** process node be the oldest process node optimised for the Cortex-A710, if Qualcomm's indeed using an octa-core configuration of the Cortex-A78C as well.

Hopefully, all will be revealed during Qualcomm Snapdragon Tech Summit 2021.

What's the price you guys are expecting Switch Dane?

I don't belive nintendo will output a $400+ System.

$350 - $400

Yeah, regardless of the expense to make it, I expect no greater than $350 unless inflation goes wild. If Nintendo takes no profit margin from hardware sales in its first year or so, so be it.

There is no way an 8nm Dane/DLSS/4K Switch launches in 2022 the same price as the TX1+ OLED Switch.

It has to at least be $100 more than the older model.

Even if we assume the OLED Switch gets a price cut to $300 when the 4K Switch launches, that’s still a minimum $400 machine price.

I’m expecting $450-$499 at this point.

It’s ok if it has a premium price tag, Nintendo still plans on selling the older models as the cheaper entry price points for another 4-5 years. The $400+ 4K Switch revision will be for people who want 4k Switch gaming NOW

Last edited:
Poll #2: Which price do you think Nintendo will likely set as the MSRP for the DLSS model*?
Speaking about price, I've made a second poll for everyone here to participate in. The poll's about which price people here think Nintendo will likely set as the MSRP for the DLSS model*. Click here to participate in the second poll.

~

And speaking about polls, here are the results for the first poll, as of 26 October 2021.
ctNbn1N.png

If you haven't participated in the first poll, you can still do so here.

Disc drives are crazy slow and require you to inflate the game's size to reduce loading. It's the same for hdds but less so

Right. It’s why pc gaming got rid of discs long ago.

I guess the Xbox/ps still hang on to it because of..dvd movies? I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before it’s ditched on consoles as well.

I'm not sure that the disappearance of Orin S was due to Nintendo co-opting it. It probably has been renamed Orin CX. @Thraktor caught it from a GTC session (April 2021):

X3BVwcS.png

It seems that Orin CX is intended for Nvidia's Drive IX platform for "in-cabin experiences", including gaming while driving (Elon's bad influence):

WoQh6he.png

Xu6PVJb.jpg

The Drive IX platform probably requires less power than Drive AV, which does the heavy lifting of autonomous driving, and thus we may surmise that Orin CX is a less powerful variant than Orin X and Orin regular. The first generation Drive had the same dichotomy between cockpit experience and autonomous driving:

t1PI38E.png

Here are the Orin variants that have been put forth by Nvidia AFAIK:
  • 2x Orin (unclear if X) + 2x discrete Ampere GPU
  • 2x Orin X
  • 2x Orin
  • Orin X
  • Orin
  • Orin CX (possibly supplanted Orin S)
  • Windshield ADAS
We are promised "an in-depth view into the NVIDIA Orin product line up" at the latest GTC on Nov 10. Hope it'll be good.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom