• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I garauntee you…any big 3D Mario/Zelda/DK/etc game they reveal and release in the next few years…is going to run on the OLED/Lite Switch.
What gives you the confidence to guarantee this? Nintendo has never made a cross gen 3D Mario game, yet you are so confident they will do it this time you can guarantee it?
The only big games that Nintendo has ever made cross platform were Zelda games, and these games were also heavily delayed, not originally intending to be cross gen. But now everyone thinks Nintendo is gonna make all their big games cross gen from now on, I guess because Sony is doing it?

What gives you the confidence to guarantee this? Nintendo has never made a cross gen 3D Mario game, yet you are so confident they will do it this time you can guarantee it?
The only big games that Nintendo has ever made cross platform were Zelda games, and these games were also heavily delayed, not originally intending to be cross gen. But now everyone thinks Nintendo is gonna make all their big games cross gen from now on, I guess because Sony is doing it?

I don't think now is a particularly good time to rely strongly on past precedence.

I don't think now is a particularly good time to rely strongly on past precedence.
Nintendo is notably a very slow moving company. They don't tend to make large changes quickly, it usually takes them a long time of slow adjustments. Look at their online service, for example, where it's taking them an entire generation to even really get started on it.

Nintendo is notably a very slow moving company. They don't tend to make large changes quickly, it usually takes them a long time of slow adjustments. Look at their online service, for example, where it's taking them an entire generation to even really get started on it.
You can also look at DS and how quickly they reacted to make sure Sony couldn't repeat with PSP what they did with PSX, the idea of Nintendo being 'slow' is only in some aspects in others Nintendo reacts quickly to secure they future.

You can also look at DS and how quickly they reacted to make sure Sony couldn't repeat with PSP what they did with PSX, the idea of Nintendo being 'slow' is only in some aspects in others Nintendo reacts quickly to secure they future.
The GBA SP revision also came out immediately after Nokia announced they were entering the handheld space.
There's alot of untrue myths around Nintendo's business acumen based on usually the SNES/N64 transition

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Where there’s fire…

Also, this could be reminiscent of when Nintendo announced the 3DS XL shortly after their E3 show. Or when they announced the new 3DS in late august for release in October in Japan.

Switch Lite was announced July 10, 2019 and Switch OLED was announced July 6, 2021.

Assuming the pattern holds (excluding 2020 for obvious reasons) and them not outright denying a new model this fiscal year, I’d keep an eye out for early next month 👀

Last edited:
A normal July announcement would be a nice follow-up to next week's foretold direct.

Nintendo wouldn't but if Nvidia is attempting to use it as a trojan horse for DLSS then they might.
I think there's a decent chance Nvidia supplies the SoC to Nintendo at cost. If Drake is on, say, 6nm, it wouldn't be competing for fab-output with Nvidia's other products and I safely assume that Nintendo helped fund the design/development of Drake, or even paid for it outright. So if Nvidia supplies it at cost they aren't losing money at any level and they keep a strategic business partner happy while further pushing their proprietary technology as a standard for a large section of the industry.

IMO that's the closest anyone is going to come to using Switch++ as a loss leader, except possibly certain retailers on Black Friday a few years from now.

A normal July announcement would be a nice follow-up to next week's foretold direct.

I think there's a decent chance Nvidia supplies the SoC to Nintendo at cost. If Drake is on, say, 6nm, it wouldn't be competing for fab-output with Nvidia's other products and I safely assume that Nintendo helped fund the design/development of Drake, or even paid for it outright. So if Nvidia supplies it at cost they aren't losing money at any level and they keep a strategic business partner happy while further pushing their proprietary technology as a standard for a large section of the industry.

IMO that's the closest anyone is going to come to using Switch++ as a loss leader, except possibly certain retailers on Black Friday a few years from now.
Nvidia are not a charity

I’d say it’s possible with 3D Mario. Bowser’s Fury ran at 30fps when in handheld and 60fps when docked. The new Mario game could run at 540p/30fps handheld and 720p/30fps when docked on the current Switch and 2160p/60fps using DLSS on the new Switch.

By making Bowser’s Fury 30fps on the current Switch handheld it shows Nintendo is willing to ship a new 3D Mario at below 60fps.

I tried Fall Guys yesterday. Anyone know the framerate? The characters look like they’re animating at like 15fps lol. It’s smooth yet strange. Hopefully DF does a video on it.

I’d say it’s possible with 3D Mario. Bowser’s Fury ran at 30fps when in handheld and 60fps when docked. The new Mario game could run at 540p/30fps handheld and 720p/30fps when docked on the current Switch and 2160p/60fps using DLSS on the new Switch.

By making Bowser’s Fury 30fps on the current Switch handheld it shows Nintendo is willing to ship a new 3D Mario at below 60fps.

I tried Fall Guys yesterday. Anyone know the framerate? The characters look like they’re animating at like 15fps lol. It’s smooth yet strange. Hopefully DF does a video on it.
Fall Guys runs at 30 FPS but it seems other players are animated less frequently (maybe half?) until the lobby clears up with 15~ people remaining.

I feel Nvidia is giving Nintendo some pretty sweet deals.... But at cost?

I don't think they can afford to do that.

If a new Switch model announcement is inminient, we would probably already had a leak from an outlet like Bloomberg.

It happened with both Lite and OLED mods
In general there really isn't a whole lot of evidence pointing to a pro model coming early next year at this point.
I was convinced it isn't happening when Nintendo's president started talking about how "they plan to successfully transition to a new console generation" in the recent investors meeting. He was very clear he was talking about a new generation, not a revision, and while he could be talking about that 3+ years in advance I don't see any reason why he would. To be honest it seems like literally the only reason people here believe a pro is coming early next year is because a leaker said so, but this and other leakers were wrong about a pro the last time so I don't see how this is some hard lock.

For the record, what Nintendo pays is different from what Nvidia pays. Nvidia doesn’t have to pay for their IP, Nintendo would have to pay nVidia for their IP. So I’m not sure what you mean by at cost.

NVidia would be paying the foundry for the node IP and ARM, but for Nintendo they have to pay for the nVidia IP, the ARM IP and the Node IP.

And of course the silicon but that goes without saying really.

Also the packaging process would be there too.

And the software

Etc.

Last edited:
i think a lot of people are really underestimating how hard the pandemic hit Nintendo or Japan in general. They had no working from home infrastructure, and no culture for it. Japan was hit extremely hard.

I will be fully prepared to eat my words if I'm wrong, but I find it extremely unlikely we're less than a month away from the reveal of what is essentially a new console (even if it's not marketed that way) and yet we have no credible leaks of said announcement at all. As another poster mentioned the lite and OLED both had leaks coming from all sources. There had to be at least 10 different credible sources reporting the existence of the OLED months before it was announced.

I will be fully prepared to eat my words if I'm wrong, but I find it extremely unlikely we're less than a month away from the reveal of what is essentially a new console (even if it's not marketed that way) and yet we have no credible leaks of said announcement at all. As another poster mentioned the lite and OLED both had leaks coming from all sources. There had to be at least 10 different credible sources reporting the existence of the OLED months before it was announced.
maybe Nintendo learned and are now trying to secure the announcement before the whole hardware goes to manufacturing? Not like the OLED was a big deal so they prob didn't care AS MUCH for leaks.

Pretty sure the announcement will happen when none expect it anyway.

Yeah...no. I dont see this getting anywhere.
Earlyest september for a reveal, if we have bad luck its in the first 2 months of 2023

i mean, there are people/companies are under heavy NDAs as well, and leakers will be tracked, caught and punished. Nintendo takes leaks l, copyright infringement and piracy more seriously then any other gaming company.

Anyway, I still believe in a 2023 soring release is more likely, so I'm not expecting any real news till Q4 2022.

Last edited:
Nintendo has tightened on the information in recent months, especially considering the gigaleak, Chinese manufacturing leaks and the recent Nvidia ones, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get no leaks this time around.

not really
its the same dev environment ... same compatibility just a different target profile

Which means having to support two different console userbases again.

Why would they do that?

?

I’m not sure you understand what I’m saying…the only reason to make a much more powerful, more expensive home only Switch console is to be able to make a game profile that’s DIFFERENT/UNACHIEVABLE on the other hardware.

That’s the only reason to make such a thing.

A Drake hybrid model is perfectly fine otherwise. No need to make a non portable device anymore.

As for the second part, I’m saying Nintendo is going to make all their big games in the next few years be able to run on Drake as well as OLED/Lite.

They aren’t going to split the userbase and make their big games exclusive to Drake.

Last edited:
?

I’m not sure you understand what I’m saying…the only reason to make a much more powerful, more expensive home only Switch console is to be able to make a game profile that’s DIFFERENT/UNACHIEVABLE on the other hardware.

That’s the only reason to make such a think.

A Drake hybrid model is perfectly fine otherwise. No need to make a non portable device anymore.

As for the second part, I’m saying Nintendo is going to make all their big games in the next few years be able to run on Drake as well as OLED/Lite.

They aren’t going to split the userbase and make their big games exclusive to Drake.
If they wanted to make a higher clock profile on the tx1, they could have dones so in 2019 with Mariko. A home console only, woudnt have been necesary to acheive that.

Fall Guys runs at 30 FPS but it seems other players are animated less frequently (maybe half?) until the lobby clears up with 15~ people remaining.
Yeah them animating at 15fps close up is certainly something lol but I suppose they had to do it to get the game running at all. It really shows how much the Switch hardware (especially the CPU) is ageing now.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom