• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I feel like VR is eventually going to disrupt the big screen market. I know for me personally, if the Meta Quest 3 had OLED screens I would watch everything on there instead of my LG C1, as the immersion of watching media content in a theater (or just a cool virtual environment) is just unmatched compared to even the largest physical screens, and you can resize them to whatever you want.

I feel like VR is eventually going to disrupt the big screen market. I know for me personally, if the Meta Quest 3 had OLED screens I would watch everything on there instead of my LG C1, as the immersion of watching media content in a theater (or just a cool virtual environment) is just unmatched compared to even the largest physical screens, and you can resize them to whatever you want.
The immersion for a single user is amazing, but its hard to see a shift were folks would watch something together in the same room, yet on different VR headsets.

The immersion for a single user is amazing, but its hard to see a shift were folks would watch something together in the same room, yet on different VR headsets.

Completely agree, and it's an issue I have with VR in general. That being said, the moment these things become $100 glasses, even if it's still physically isolating, I think a lot of people will be perfectly fine with a virtually shared experience. Big Screen VR is really popular because of the social aspect and I can see it gaining in popularity when VR headsets become more affordable and accessible.

Outside of CPU frametime, GPU frametime (assuming the CPU and GPU do not handle the same frames at the same time which I believe is common now), controller to console delay, console to TV delay, vsync, and animation priority, what factors contribute to input delay?

Strix Point shouldn't appear on handhelds, outside of some premium (=>$1000). Too big of a design for them.

PC Handhelds should get Kraken Point (4Z5 + 4Z5C + 4 RDNA 3.5 WGP) or Intel Lunar Lake.
That would be my choice but i dont know if only 8CU is a great jump. 8 CPU cores on a handheld are enough thats for sure.

Hdr will be the bigger upgrade
ah see part of my problem is that I’m an HDR denier

I will not be swayed by 100-inch prismatic cuttlefish that could glide down from the wall at any second and digest me whole

we were not meant to have such unbridled contrast

woe, woe to the crisp and plucked

(image removed since it was removed from original post)

Like six feet behind the gate is my couch.
ahhhh okay I get it

haunted officette style

wall to wall multifence with the presumed uncorridor opening at couch latitude

thank you!

Last edited:
Itβ€˜s 3 month since the delay news and still radio silence. What is going on in Insidermania?
I really don’t like that I automatically read that as inseminate spiderman

hmm. maybe I shouldn’t post this

welp anyways better go back to my usual shitpost paper route and stop saying unfiltered things in hardware from the well of deep despair

byeeeeee visit soon

ah see part of my problem is that I’m an HDR denier

I will not be swayed by 100-inch prismatic cuttlefish that could glide down from the wall at any second and digest me whole

we were not meant to have such unbridled contrast

woe, woe to the crisp and plucked
Don't you want the power of the sun in the hole in your wall?!

you don't though. my 42" 4K tv was $250 and it was from a reputable brand (one of their lower end ones, but it comes with warranty)
sorry maybe I should clarify that canadian prices are both import-skewed and worse

so many of them harvest your data though. especially cheap ones. either forcing ads or taking a screenshot of literally everything you do for your advertising profile.

it’s fucking spooky out there

I miss single-function screens and direct display.

wait I said I was gonna stop posting here god dammit

if nintendo's press release doesn't use the secret codename do they fail the shibboleth
I’m printing this out and putting it on my wall

Itβ€˜s 3 month since the delay news and still radio silence. What is going on in Insidermania?
I’m guessing most developers don’t want to lose their job to give some insider couple of internet points.

Like they have been people here who have heard friends and coworkers of having the Switch 2 dev-kit, but don’t want to mention what’s they’re working with.

Like heck, the ps5 pro was leaked by a document. Poor fellow probably got fired.

Like I remember when the PS5 was speculated some journalists mention that the ps5 will only include 100 ps4 games for backward compatibility, im thinking that Nintendo would much prefer if they are the one giving away the information.

Suswave's avatar scares me, and the double-triple-quadruple posting makes it feels like it's gaining nefarious power. That is neither here or there, I just needed to get that out while we're on this TV tangent.

EDIT: Had a small 18" CRT until 2020. Replaced it with a 40-something inch 4K Vizio after it broke. It hangs out on top of a cabinet above my computer.

Suswave's avatar scares me, and the double-triple-quadruple posting makes it feels like it's gaining nefarious power. That is neither here or there, I just needed to get that out while we're on this TV tangent.
it was a whole thing actually

we had cutscenes

They are all at the Super Nintendo World park sitting in the Toadstool Cafe crying tears into their Super Star Lemon Squash drink because there is no rumors or information to discuss regarding the elusive Switch successor.

I'm genuinely excited to see the kickstand as absurd as that sounds.

This kinda thing:
Screenshot_2024-04-25-20-43-00-07_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

From the reveal trailer, that's SWITCH to me.

Part of the reason I'll be very happy if it's a nearly 8" display with plenty of brightness, tabletop will get a LOT nicer after already being my favourite mode.

This kinda thing:

Part of the reason I'll be very happy if it's a nearly 8" display with plenty of brightness, tabletop will get a LOT nicer after already being my favourite mode.
Nice seeing an Tabletop enjoyer.

Hopefully the Switch 2 will have the Oled stand.

This kinda thing:

Also why I hope they go for reflective igzo. It would be such a cool unique feature for the Switch. Imagine if they could do that in broad daylight.

My two thoughts here are:

4K60 on NG Switch is pretty much like 1080p60 on Switch, I wouldn't expect every game to hit it. But because upscaling has gotten better and it has hardware accelerated upscaling, I'd say we'll see "4K" more often on NG Switch than we did 1080p on Switch. I guess that would be the same idea, right, not "consistent" at hitting its max output? 1080p60 in TV mode on NG Switch will probably SING compared to the Switch and even last gen home consoles.

The other is oh gosh I am the Opposite TV User to you in a lot of ways. I like a big TV and I sit close to it, I use my 4K 50" TV as 4 1080p 25" monitors. When I'm playing a game or watching a movie I'll usually also sit back a bit, roll the chair or sit on the bed. Small space big TV, it fits into my life in a particular way.
I am happy regardless as we have a much better range than we do now. Instead of 1080p60 to 300p30 we have 2160p60 to 540p30.

This kinda thing:

Thats like a large percentage for me. I would have this in my office and my friend would play and vent. Stuff like this is cool and unique to the Switch.
I’m guessing most developers don’t want to lose their job to give some insider couple of internet points.
I still stand by this. Nintendo impose a strict rule of which individual is in charge of the dev kit. No one remember the days where to get a dev kit you had to have an office and they had several other measures? I believe that's what's happening right now. We have hundreds of thousands of devs who are probably working on some Switch 2 projects and NO ONE is saying anything? Ask yourself why. My bet. Nintendo told these companies they need one to handful of devs to physically be in presence of the dev kit. It is locked in a room that No one can get to. The only other thing I can think of is that dev kits are in the cloud and Nintendo has some sort of repository that they push.

Anyway, we just have to wait for the indies to get their hands on it.

I still stand by this. Nintendo impose a strict rule of which individual is in charge of the dev kit. No one remember the days where to get a dev kit you had to have an office and they had several other measures? I believe that's what's happening right now. We have hundreds of thousands of devs who are probably working on some Switch 2 projects and NO ONE is saying anything? Ask yourself why. My bet. Nintendo told these companies they need one to handful of devs to physically be in presence of the dev kit. It is locked in a room that No one can get to. The only other thing I can think of is that dev kits are in the cloud and Nintendo has some sort of repository that they push.

that's the changed nature of game development for you. most of the people working on Drake versions of games probably don't even know they are. they're just told to hit some seemingly arbitrary target based on arbitrary parameters, that build is taken to the 5 people who work on the drake dev kit, those people then send back whatever problem spots are found, and the cycle begins again

I mean... much as I loved my VB despite all the redness and am leaning on the idea of Switch 2 being more VR friendly to the point of reliving the lost potential of the GameCube, I would say that Nintendo loves its couch co-op philosophy too much to prioritize such a thing.

Also projectors rock.

When it comes to Nintendo, bruh the fuck
playing to strategy

we’ll know something soon if they want us to know it. I’m not holding my breath for anything interesting until after the current lineup of games is out, and even then β€” they’ll move at a calculated pace.

I mean... much as I loved my VB despite all the redness and am leaning on the idea of Switch 2 being more VR friendly to the point of reliving the lost potential of the GameCube, I would say that Nintendo loves its couch co-op philosophy too much to prioritize such a thing.

Also projectors rock.
Contrary to what you might think, Nintendo doesn't have a strict "couch philosophy," as we can guess from Shigeru Miyamoto's vision of future hardware design, which has always envisioned a move away from the TV-controller dichotomy.For Nintendo now, the prerequisite for releasing a piece of hardware is the maturity of the technology.

I have a slightly different thought. If Drake devkit looks like the SDEV kit and uses the current joy cons and/or Pro controller, then there isn't anything of note to leak since we already know about the faster storage, DLSS, chip ect.

At least not until NV2 or Horizon is updated to support the BC solution. Though I am surprised that hasn't been something of a leak about HDR or VRR support, as I assume HDR would need to be accounted for earlier in the process.

Digital Foundry does another dive into PC handhelds with top end titles (Avatar, Burning Shores, Alan Wake 2). 25W continues to be the sweet spot to run all the games well, but Drake would not have this kind of power consumption. but it will have bespoke ports
One thing to keep in mind is that Drake is using an ARM CPU, which has implications for both performance and power efficiency (The CPU performance will likely be a decent chunk worse, but power efficiency a LOT higher), and Windows is a pretty crappy operating system for handhelds, especially when it comes to power management.

And it's also using an NVIDIA GPU with unknown power characteristics, while it's fun to look at the PC handheld space, it doesn't really give us a decent look into the next generation Switch and how games would run on it, the environments are just too different.

my brother toppled a crt on him when he was a kid because he was fucking around with the shelf. I don't blame folks for doing things to keep kids away, lol

Digital Foundry does another dive into PC handhelds with top end titles (Avatar, Burning Shores, Alan Wake 2). 25W continues to be the sweet spot to run all the games well, but Drake would not have this kind of power consumption. but it will have bespoke ports

I’m think Switch 2 will be have TDP of 15W, 5W for CPU, 5W for GPU

Contrary to what you might think, Nintendo doesn't have a strict "couch philosophy," as we can guess from Shigeru Miyamoto's vision of future hardware design, which has always envisioned a move away from the TV-controller dichotomy.For Nintendo now, the prerequisite for releasing a piece of hardware is the maturity of the technology.
Switch's ecosystem does suggest they can prioritize Switch and possible upcoming system more like a handheld (on par with a smartphone or device) that just HAPPENS to function like a console, so I would guess they'd push for a higher userbase going from that.

One thing to keep in mind is that Drake is using an ARM CPU, which has implications for both performance and power efficiency (The CPU performance will likely be a decent chunk worse, but power efficiency a LOT higher), and Windows is a pretty crappy operating system for handhelds, especially when it comes to power management.
A78C have IPC like Zen2

okay maybe i should clarify here

I love being rude β€” but I’m not especially trying to be right now!

I think I’m doing a classic β€œoverthink something that really doesn’t fucking matter and then phrase it poorly and consecutively until you don’t make any sense and everyone hates you” loop

to be clear I totally fucking get not wanting televisions to fall on children, lmao. I’m more of an anchors and brackets style securer but I’m certainly not trying to fault anyone for a childproof gate

I think this kind of reveals what I’m actually trying to ask here:

what the fuck are y’all’s floorplans

again not a judgment thing, just trying to conceptualize and I’m a fiend about layout. the popularity of big flatscreens tells me a lot of people have a use case, and a layout that works for the use case

but since that’s really far outside of the wheelhouse of me and just about everyone I know (granted that’s like five and a half people on a humid day)

I want to know more

about how that’s laid out to suit y’all

and what choices led you there

my primary hangup with the gate part (that probably amped up my tone and confusion) is where the damn gate goes and what it looks like, because everything I tried imagining seemed exceedingly weird and I realized I had fucked up bad at comprehension

and now I’ve written who knows how many paragraphs overexplaining my broken-ass head instead of just enjoying being caustic, incomprehensible, and bad for the vibe

hmm

I always feel like I end up in trouble when I post in this thread, lmao
haha you're good, I totally understand. specifically this part:
I think I’m doing a classic β€œoverthink something that really doesn’t fucking matter and then phrase it poorly and consecutively until you don’t make any sense and everyone hates you” loop
I'm definitely guilty of the same sometimes. I overthink something, don't understand what someone meant, but can't let it go...because I have to understand

1080p is pretty much confirm, but for for Docked mode i'm expecting 120Hz support, despite that we'll see that being used will be rare, except for Indies games, Mario party, Mario Kart and Smash bros.

ideally i think on handheld it'll be 60Hz, but in docked mode it'll be 120Hz for certain games. I think a good example would be games like Hollow knight.
Like it's possible, since certain games on the Switch are 60Hz in docked and 30Hz in handheld.
So 60Hz handheld
120Hz in docked.
I want to revisit this. Although it seems like the next step, and something I would want, I don't think 1080p is 100% confirmed just yet. We can say the same about a 90Hz screen.

I want to bring up an interesting scenario. Let's just say we can't have our cake and eat it, too, meaning we can't have 1080p + 90hz at launch. We can only have one or the other. So I want to ask you and everyone else: Would you rather have an 800p screen with 90Hz, or a 1080p screen at 60Hz? What do you think is better for developers and gamers in the long run?

I'm playing devil's advocate here. But considering the power of the Steam deck and how close the Switch 2 will be to it in handheld mode, 800p isn't the end of the world. All the other PC handhelds have a 1080p or a 1440p screen most extreme end, but they are theoretically in the 3-4 flops range. Though ,no PC handheld actually needs a screen behind 1080p at the moment (Aya Neo).

I think in the beginning, we're going to see quite a few native 1080p ports in handheld mode (particularly 1st party) that are switch to PS4 quality, along with DLSS enabled 1080p on handheld, but in the long run, they're probably going to end up being 540p-720p in handled and 600-900p docked for 3rd party current-gen ports, just like demanding games on the current switch models. That being said, we do have DLSS, which should help bring 540p images to 720p in handheld, and 600-900p images to 1080p in docked.

With an 800p screen, the image quality will at least look better natively on 800p than on a 1080p screen that's outputting a lower resolution. They also don't have to spend as much power on resolution, which could save battery life (also using lowest handheld profile) . Or they could choose to put the resources in framerate, or something else. The reason for selecting a 90Hz screen in this case is if they can't find a 60hz screen that can't adjust to 40Hz.. as well as for those rare instances for some games to go over 60fps for enthusiasts. And of course, supporting VRR, if there are 90Hz screens that support that.

note: When people were talking about VRR earlier this week, I thought they were talking about Virtual Reality.. Not Variable Refresh Rate. Massive brain fart. Surprised nobody called me on it. πŸ˜…
My TV is a 1080p TV as well, but it's only 42". Most manufactures don't even make 4K TVs that small, probably because the increased resolution is barely noticeable on smaller TVs. So the benefits of 4K largely depend on the size of your TV. If you have a TV 50 inches or less, 1080p will resolve a nice clean image, but if you have a 75" TV, things will start to look pretty soft.
At least super sampling (not necessarily DLSS) a native 4k image on a 1080p screen would be a nice consolation prize. Free Anti aliasing.
Nintendo on May 7th:

For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a successor to Nintendo Switch console. This new platform will launch in March 2025 globally. Please look forward to more details in the future.
Would it really be a good idea for Nintendo announce the release date by the month so far in advance? If the Switch has a top selling game this holiday to maximize selling switch units, it could affect their holiday console sales, and that game as well-especially if it ends up being multiplatform. But I could be wrong. I think they did it with the handheld consoles... And they could also introduce a price cut this holiday season.. But I wouldn't be surprised if they wait for a price cut when switch 2 is out.

my brother toppled a crt on him when he was a kid because he was fucking around with the shelf. I don't blame folks for doing things to keep kids away, lol

Hopefully Switch 2 will be a fierce competitor in the 15w and below category.πŸ€”

That's interesting that the ASUS Rally is the only PC handheld (that DF tested at least, and on this review ) that supports VRR.
Would be huge if Switch 2 gets it. But it is a 120Hz screen though..

is true VRR only supported on 120Hz IPS screens? If true,

This Variable Refresh Rate stuff is making sense to me now, and I understand better why it would be better if we could ideally get VRR support on handheld and TVs at the same time for consistency. Considering that current gen consoles support VRR tvs and monitors, I don't see why Switch 2 should be omitted, though a 120Hz screen on handheld is less likely. I'd still take. , If we get a 90Hz screen on the handheld like SD OLED, that's the next next best thing at least. I'll take a stable 40fps support in 80Hz mode.

that's the changed nature of game development for you. most of the people working on Drake versions of games probably don't even know they are. they're just told to hit some seemingly arbitrary target based on arbitrary parameters, that build is taken to the 5 people who work on the drake dev kit, those people then send back whatever problem spots are found, and the cycle begins again
Exactly! This also narrows down who is responsible for any leak info. If you want to see any more information wait for the indies to get their dev kits. If they get it before the announcement.
I have a slightly different thought. If Drake devkit looks like the SDEV kit and uses the current joy cons and/or Pro controller, then there isn't anything of note to leak since we already know about the faster storage, DLSS, chip ect.

At least not until NV2 or Horizon is updated to support the BC solution. Though I am surprised that hasn't been something of a leak about HDR or VRR support, as I assume HDR would need to be accounted for earlier in the process.
Well, HDR isn't the "IT".... how can i say this.... I am going to put it in the terms of R&B, lol. HDR is Kelly Rowland beautiful, gorgeous, and sexy. But she doesn't get as much attention as her band mate Beyonce aka Ray Tracing. Yeah, she is all that and a bag of chips @Concernt (that's what we use to say in the 90s, lol). But she doesn't have that flavor what HDR has. However, both are great together.
Just hopefully is TSMC 4N and not Samsung 8nm like some thinks
Here's what I want to know. I have never been good on the hardware side of technical aspect. Will 8 nm prevent games from coming over? I hear the gap between 4 nm and 8 nm is around 20 percent? What's the damage that's done? Really asking.

However from what I see, the brand is strong enough and devs are desperate to grow that userbase and needs more platform. I don't see what nm it is being that problem. Is it a battery life problem?

Here's what I want to know. I have never been good on the hardware side of technical aspect. Will 8 nm prevent games from coming over? I hear the gap between 4 nm and 8 nm is around 20 percent? What's the damage that's done? Really asking.

However from what I see, the brand is strong enough and devs are desperate to grow that userbase and needs more platform. I don't see what nm it is being that problem. Is it a battery life problem?
It will affect size of console the most

I want to revisit this. Although it seems like the next step, and something I would want, I don't think 1080p is 100% confirmed just yet. We can say the same about a 90Hz screen.

I want to bring up an interesting scenario. Let's just say we can't have our cake and eat it, too, meaning we can't have 1080p + 90hz at launch. We can only have one or the other. So I want to ask you and everyone else: Would you rather have an 800p screen with 90Hz, or a 1080p screen at 60Hz? What do you think is better for developers and gamers in the long run?

I'm playing devil's advocate here. But considering the power of the Steam deck and how close the Switch 2 will be to it in handheld mode, 800p isn't the end of the world. All the other PC handhelds have a 1080p or a 1440p screen most extreme end, but they are theoretically in the 3-4 flops range. Though ,no PC handheld actually needs a screen behind 1080p at the moment (Aya Neo).

I think in the beginning, we're going to see quite a few native 1080p ports in handheld mode (particularly 1st party) that are switch to PS4 quality, along with DLSS enabled 1080p on handheld, but in the long run, they're probably going to end up being 540p-720p in handled and 600-900p docked for 3rd party current-gen ports, just like demanding games on the current switch models. That being said, we do have DLSS, which should help bring 540p images to 720p in handheld, and 600-900p images to 1080p in docked.

With an 800p screen, the image quality will at least look better natively on 800p than on a 1080p screen that's outputting a lower resolution. They also don't have to spend as much power on resolution, which could save battery life (also using lowest handheld profile) . Or they could choose to put the resources in framerate, or something else. The reason for selecting a 90Hz screen in this case is if they can't find a 60hz screen that can't adjust to 40Hz.. as well as for those rare instances for some games to go over 60fps for enthusiasts. And of course, supporting VRR, if there are 90Hz screens that support that.

note: When people were talking about VRR earlier this week, I thought they were talking about Virtual Reality.. Not Variable Refresh Rate. Massive brain fart. Surprised nobody called me on it. πŸ˜…

At least super sampling (not necessarily DLSS) a native 4k image on a 1080p screen would be a nice consolation prize. Free Anti aliasing.

Would it really be a good idea for Nintendo announce the release date by the month so far in advance? If the Switch has a top selling game this holiday to maximize selling switch units, it could affect their holiday console sales, and that game as well-especially if it ends up being multiplatform. But I could be wrong. I think they did it with the handheld consoles... And they could also introduce a price cut this holiday season.. But I wouldn't be surprised if they wait for a price cut when switch 2 is out.

Hopefully Switch 2 will be a fierce competitor in the 15w and below category.πŸ€”

That's interesting that the ASUS Rally is the only PC handheld (that DF tested at least, and on this review ) that supports VRR.
Would be huge if Switch 2 gets it. But it is a 120Hz screen though..

is true VRR only supported on 120Hz IPS screens? If true,

This Variable Refresh Rate stuff is making sense to me now, and I understand better why it would be better if we could ideally get VRR support on handheld and TVs at the same time for consistency. Considering that current gen consoles support VRR tvs and monitors, I don't see why Switch 2 should be omitted, though a 120Hz screen on handheld is less likely. I'd still take. , If we get a 90Hz screen on the handheld like SD OLED, that's the next next best thing at least. I'll take a stable 40fps support in 80Hz mode.
Rendering at 540p natively favors precisely dlss scaling to 1080p (portable mode), 540p scaling to 720p makes no sense, especially when we're basically confirming that the new screen is 1080p, you're seriously underestimating dlss's capabilities.

...I need to hang out in General more, holy crap.
Hold up we got whole ass anime arcs cooking up in General????
This is gonna sound like a cop out, but the answer is "It depends." Switch 2 on 8 nm and Switch 2 on 4 nm is a decent jump, but it doesn't change that much re: third party ports. That being said, I'm sure there may be edge cases where the extra grunt afforded by T239 on 4nm may be the difference between a port coming over or not because that extra ~20% is the difference between a game looking a little soft and a game looking/running so poorly the devs decide not to port it.

It also depends on where the benefits will go. Does Nintendo use that difference for more power, better battery life, etc?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom