• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Let me tell you, i dunno how i should feel after i posted a notice of caution on the last page about taking it for granted Funcle was silenced by Nintendo's request, only for seeing this thread and the post who first posted the tweet on reddit....

deckard_chilling_in_tristram_by_penc0w.jpg

"No One Stays and Listens Anymore"

Let me tell you, i dunno how i should feel after i posted a notice of caution on the last page about taking it for granted Funcle was silenced by Nintendo's request, only for seeing this thread and the post who first posted the tweet on reddit....

deckard_chilling_in_tristram_by_penc0w.jpg

"No One Stays and Listens Anymore"
This reminds me of my campaign to get Cain in smash. Didn't work.

Holy shit. What. Happened.

Pokemon leaker came back with a second post, going more detail on Pokemon and clarifying they were talking about a next gen successor Switch, not a special OLED or something else.

And, one of the chinese factory uncles were perm banned on the board they were posting on and the thread(s) were deleted.

It can mean something, it musn't though.

one thing it does show is Nintendo is very aware of some of the discussions that take place on the internet not least of which here!

so Nintendo - how about you get those T239 pumping and hit us with a Switch 2. the Uncles are ready to produce & we're ready to consume. a couple of Zelda patches, a new 3D Mario maybe some Metroid Prime 4 and we're good to go.

Last few days have been crazy. I do feel this time it's different but I am preparing for things to not turn out as expected.

If Holiday 2023 launch then a initial reveal after TotK so in like June/early July. With the exact details around 2 months before launch.

I still think it's early 2024.

I still think if it's launching in CY 2023, it's being announced in CY 2023, and announced in 2024 when it launches within 4 months of early 2024.

Switch is already starting to struggle, i don't see them nuking their holiday sales.

Course, they could do a 50 (or more) price drop to get consumers who're privy now and bet on the enthusiasts to carry early 2024 if it's announced in 2023 and released in 24.

I still think if it's launching in CY 2023, it's being announced in CY 2023, and announced in 2024 when it launches within 4 months of early 2024.

Switch is already starting to struggle, i don't see them nuking their holiday sales.

Course, they could do a 50 (or more) price drop to get consumers who're privy now and bet on the enthusiasts to carry early 2024 if it's announced in 2023 and released in 24.
don't know, 50$ with this inflation, after such a market saturation doesn't seem as if it would PUSH the sales, it will only keep it from falling to steep. Especially without big games.

I hope there is some exclusive hardware "feature" to this next-gen that will be great and not really useless but it will differentiate it enough from the current Switch. PTD employees have been cooking.

I hope there is some exclusive hardware "feature" to this next-gen that will be great and not really useless but it will differentiate it enough from the current Switch. PTD employees have been cooking.

Chant it with me:

SCROLLWHEEL SHOULDERBUTTONS

Last few days have been crazy. I do feel this time it's different but I am preparing for things to not turn out as expected.
Yeah I definitely feel like things are different here. The initial OLED fiasco was a lot of “he said, she said” but here we have the Nvidia leak, insiders making predictions, and (potentially) Nintendo sending the ninjas. Things feel more concrete.

Welp
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Yeah, '病栋' means a Nintendo discussion thread filled with fans waiting for big annoncements. Back to 2020, the covid period, there was not even a single regular direct during whole year and It drove the Nintendo fans there crazy. People gathered in one thread where filled with moans and whines, just like wards in hospitals. So people started using '病栋' for Nintendo discussion thread.
Omg that's awesome, thanks 🤣

Yeah I definitely feel like things are different here. The initial OLED fiasco was a lot of “he said, she said” but here we have the Nvidia leak, insiders making predictions, and (potentially) Nintendo sending the ninjas. Things feel more concrete.

Also, 6-7 years after the Switch just feels like a reasonable length. The further we get from 2017, the more likely a Switch 2 is, naturally.

You know, even in case of a late 2023 / early 2024 [REDRAKETED] release, base Switch won't just go away.

Add a good 1.5 to 2 years of (1st party) cross-gen phase and you get close to those mythical 10 years of life for Switch 1.

I haven't thought of this but they would need to add something to cartridges so that these for next-gen will not fit into current Switch, just like DS/3DS.

Nintendo-3ds-ds-cartridge.jpg
No they wouldn't. Disk based consoles have had this "problem" from the start and it's never really been an issue. As long as the branding is clear and they don't cause an electrical fault. I can't say I expect cartridges to change shape at all.

You know, even in case of a late 2023 / early 2024 [REDRAKETED] release, base Switch won't just go away.

Add a good 1.5 to 2 years of (1st party) cross-gen phase and you get close to those mythical 10 years of life for Switch 1.
Nothing mythical about 10 years! They can do it if they want to do it!

I continue to hold the belief that as long as a game CAN run on Switch (without major reworking), it will.

Pokemon leaker came back with a second post, going more detail on Pokemon and clarifying they were talking about a next gen successor Switch, not a special OLED or something else.

And, one of the chinese factory uncles were perm banned on the board they were posting on and the thread(s) were deleted.

It can mean something, it musn't though.

Every time I'm not around something crazy happens. The ninjas are real and are in full swing. They hit a nerve which means the info that has been coming out is onto something and they have inadvertently outed that by reacting.

It reminds me of Metroid: Samus Returns and Metroid Prime: Remastered. Yes, Metroid Prime. Whilst Nintendo is notorious for copyright and reacting very zealously towards fan games, the crackdown on AM2R back when it was initially released cemented to me at the time that they were working on a remake themselves and did not want any competitors to sour that remake's release. Sure enough, Samus Returns was announced and it became clearer why they didn't want AM2R to be a thing (even though them taking it down doesn't simply erase things from the internet, once on the internet, always on the internet. No amount of Ninja's can scrub it.)

Second with Metroid Prime: Remastered, when they scrubbed Metroid Prime 2D being worked on after the demo release, I had a feeling after AM2R that this was yet another reaction to ensure no games based on a game they were actively working on were made, after AM2R's positive response and comparisons to Samus Returns which it receives to this day, they very much wanted to nip any fan games in the bud that could do anything to alter the perspectives of any titles they would be working on. Rumours of Metroid Prime Trilogy remastered were flown around by insiders, then the story became about Prime 1 being remade, more extensively than a simplistic port. I believed it right away, I suspected the cycle repeated again and it did, sure enough but longer than anticipated, we got Remastered (and it was G-L-O-R-I-O-U-S, exclamation mark.)

Nintendo reacts for reasons, not just because Nintendo always has, there's motives behind their reactions if you can read them at times. When they do react, it provides more insight to their chess moves than Nintendo ever provides outside of Nintendo. Them reacting like this, now of all times, with the information that is being corroborated, it means this was a gotcha. It means the info was substantial, that there is truth to them potentially releasing Switch {REDACTED} for Holiday 2023.

I've said it a billion times but again with 100% certainty, I believe it's coming by Christmas this year, not early next year, not any other time, Christmas. 2023.

It just makes the most sense and has made the most sense as much as people would think they wouldn't dare miss launching it alongside Zelda, I think people have placed a lot of stock in Zelda being a title Nintendo wishes to make the launch title for next gen. Look at that trailer, not even performance and resolution increases will sell that to the average gamer that this is what a next gen Switch is capable of. It is a Switch title through and through and always has been made with that in mind and it was clear to me after that last trailer they had zero intention of making that the game they wish to highlight the next Switch's capabilities with.

Zelda doesn't need to be the launch game, the pindrop, they have other franchises and whilst people may put stock in what they think is big or not, Nintendo isn't necessarily held back by that, they have whatever ambitions they have for what is being made for Switch {REDACTED} right now. They could have any franchise having a title in the works for the console, knowing that based on the trajectory of every single franchise title coming to Switch consoles, that they are selling more than they've ever sold before and are expanding their audiences. Obviously there will be that one pindrop, people kept thinking Zelda, no, it's 3D Mario.

There are motivations behind concealing H2 2023 and beyond. It's this. Grubb may be at 40%, Nate might be cautious, I'm a lot more confident than that having been lurking and observing all the leaks and rumours having been coming out over time. The pieces are coming together and sooner or later someone at Nintendo is going to have to let it slip that a new console is on the horizon. BAM. Showcase. Announcement. Holiday 2023.

It might even slip this month at GDC if someone else is willing to be Ninja'd and never heard from again. E3 Direct, before, during, after, doesn't matter. It'll be there, marketing ramp up, then finally release, after all this time and all this speculation, it will be released.

I salute you Uncles. R.I.P.

Just jumping in to say if something gets announced tomorrow, it's 100% the Zelda OLED. Splatoon had 64 days between the OLED announcement and the release of the game and Pokemon had 72. That same time frame for Zelda would be anywhere from March 1st to March 9th.
I forgot to account for Nintendos insane secrecy around Zelda. Lol

Believing in an early 2024 launch is believing in a holiday 2023 launch that got delayed. And that could be the case, but I don't know why anyone would predict that over the default/normal launch timing that nearly all Nintendo consoles have used.

Believing in an early 2024 launch is believing in a holiday 2023 launch that got delayed. And that could be the case, but I don't know why anyone would predict that over the default/normal launch timing that nearly all Nintendo consoles have used.

This. Exactly this.

I forgot to account for Nintendos insane secrecy around Zelda. Lol

Hey those rune symbols on the back of the joy con are spoilers, can't have folks predicting new arm powers and whatnot 🥲

I don't think it will go away, it will still have new games released on it. But not sure they'll be manufacturing a lot of new inventory. An easy way to encourage people to buy Switch 2 is to reduce the availability (remove the option of buying) of Switch 1. I would guess that means the Switch 2 price will be fairly close to OLED. And that they'll be doing their best to ensure a decent supply of Switch 2's worldwide.

If they did film something yesterday in NY, for it to be released today would be one hell of a quick job of editing/post production/whatever. I buy the theory it was for Mar10 day and also for the bundle. But announcing it 8 days before Mar10 day? That makes little sense.

I'm betting the ZOLED will just be a tweet announcement like the past few. When that happens, who knows.

I was originally against the idea but it seems like Nintendo is determined to ride out 2023 with remasters and DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if that 'new' Mario Switch bundle replaces the MK8 Deluxe Holiday bundle this year. Any concrete news on new Switch hardware will most likely be after the Holidays.

Essentially, the outlook for Team 2023 is bleak.

I was originally against the idea but it seems like Nintendo is determined to ride out 2023 with remasters and DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if that 'new' Mario Switch bundle replaces the MK8 Deluxe Holiday bundle this year. Any concrete news on new Switch hardware will most likely be after the Holidays.

Well we don't know anything past July. So I would not lock that in just yet

They could well try and ride out 2023 but I think there will big releases in h2.

I would say bright, I think it'd only be bleak if literally no information was coming out and it was dead quiet up till now.

It honestly doesn't look bleak at all and given what's happened and the fact we know nothing at all about H2 2023, I don't think they are riding out 2023. They are riding out the first half of 2023 in anticipation for what is coming later.

I would say they are deliberately coasting currently despite the background suggesting otherwise.

Moves within moves. Currently it's all eyes on Zelda, followed by Pikmin 4. With sprinklings of DLC and remasters (always a sign we're at the end of the line generation wise) and typical console special editions/repackages to get rid of stock.

Last edited:

That's... Not remotely true?

I wouldn't expect the Mario bundle to contribute to "no new hardware in 23" though, as it looks like a relatively bare-bones unit that's timed for the movie's hype cycle. I could still see new hardware this holiday while this Mario bundle serves as a way to clear units ahead of time.

I would gladly buy a slightly cheaper model not having a game cart reader. And I'm saying that even though I have BOTW, Witcher 3, MK8DX, Mario 3D World as physical cartridges.
Physical media need to die, for various reasons including sustainability. I will encourage anything going in that direction.

Pikmin 4 and TOTK are cool games, even if I don´t like Pikmin. If they add a 2D Mario or a Donkey Kong, both of which can reasonably be expected to carry the console during the holidays, it's be a very decent final year considering that we already had Fire Emblem and that several DLCs and third party games will come, including a big one during summer.

I wouldn't expect the Mario bundle to contribute to "no new hardware in 23" though, as it looks like a relatively bare-bones unit that's timed for the movie's hype cycle. I could still see new hardware this holiday while this Mario bundle serves as a way to clear units ahead of time.

On the topic of that bundle, I'm kind of floored by how barebones that is. Not even an OLED special edition, in fact not even a proper special edition at all. They had time to prepare something to coincide with the Mario film and this seems pretty rushed and thrown together, it's probably the worst attempt at some kind of edition for a console I've seen from them. I remember the end days of 3DS/New 3DS and those editions that were being pumped out were so damn great (and cheap too) just to get rid of stock. It worked. I had one already but sold it just to have that sweet SNES edition of the New 3DS XL because it was just too good not to pass up. Still one of my favourites.

To be honest, the Switch itself after all this time has had a low variety of special editions. Very sparsely released, not all that many of them, not many creative ones that scream visually cool or have a nice aesthetic, at least to me.

I had to order a custom design to revamp mine because I wasn't happy with the editions Nintendo was cooking up. Got mine in Gameboy edition.

On the topic of that bundle, I'm kind of floored by how barebones that is. Not even an OLED special edition, in fact not even a proper special edition at all. They had time to prepare something to coincide with the Mario film and this seems pretty rushed and thrown together, it's probably the worst attempt at some kind of edition for a console I've seen from them. I remember the end days of 3DS/New 3DS and those editions that were being pumped out were so damn great (and cheap too) just to get rid of stock. It worked. I had one already but sold it just to have that sweet SNES edition of the New 3DS XL because it was just too good not to pass up. Still one of my favourites.

To be honest, the Switch itself after all this time has had a low variety of special editions. Very sparsely released, not all that many of them, not many creative ones that scream visually cool or have a nice aesthetic, at least to me.

I had to order a custom design to revamp mine because I wasn't happy with the editions Nintendo was cooking up. Got mine in Gameboy edition.
Whether Zelda and the Mario Movie hit their original deadline in late 2022, or did what they ended up doing, they were always going to come out around the same time.

Two special edition OLED Models in the space of 1-2 months would be a bit much, I think. Really I think the Mario bundle is perfectly adequate, especially as it represents an excellent value.

I'm a little amazed I'm seeing a fairly wide dismissal of Holiday 2023 despite that being both arguably the ideal launch timeframe for a new console, and not having meaningful information to rule out Q4 2023.

FY24 seems likely at this point, but ruling out Q4 2023 and accepting Q1 2024 when we're still in Q1 of 2023 is pretty silly.

Unless this is just one of these "I'm gonna say It's not happening so I'm excited when it does" situations.

I'm a little amazed I'm seeing a fairly wide dismissal of Holiday 2023 despite that being both arguably the ideal launch timeframe for a new console, and not having meaningful information to rule out Q4 2023.

FY24 seems likely at this point, but ruling out Q4 2023 and accepting Q1 2024 when we're still in Q1 of 2023 is pretty silly.

Unless this is just one of these "I'm gonna say It's not happening so I'm excited when it does" situations.
Nothing to me indicates any likelihood of an early 2024 launch.

That would mean production lines were prepared an entire year in advance.

Switch was prepped in October for a March launch.

Following that logic, lines prepped in March 2023, the earliest launch could be August.

Early 2024 doesn't seem to make any sense given the information we have

The skepticism has to do with lack of details. A fall or late 2023 launch would mean manufacturing soon if not already

Recent developments may be turning this impression but we'll need more supporting evidence

I'm still hopeful but a lot will now depend on what Nintendo's h2 slate looks like. It was very odd they didn't announce anything for 2024 or late 2023 in the spring direct where in the past they routinely showed games more than 6 months out

Whether Zelda and the Mario Movie hit their original deadline in late 2022, or did what they ended up doing, they were always going to come out around the same time.

Two special edition OLED Models in the space of 1-2 months would be a bit much, I think. Really I think the Mario bundle is perfectly adequate, especially as it represents an excellent value.
I agree, for what I assume they're going for at least. I think they're looking at the segment who'd want a "true" special edition as being the Zelda people, and we're getting one! Meanwhile the segment they think would be looking for a Mario edition will be families who are going shopping after a matinee of the Mario movie. So like, toss some red shells on the joy-con and throw in a choose-your-own downloadable game and there ya go. Good enough for that group.

I mean I agree with @Erathix that it's too bad it's not better (and that there haven't been more) but this just screams of clearing old stock to me.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I agree, for what I assume they're going for at least. I think they're looking at the segment who'd want a "true" special edition as being the Zelda people, and we're getting one! Meanwhile the segment they think would be looking for a Mario edition will be families who are going shopping after a matinee of the Mario movie. So like, toss some red shells on the joy-con and throw in a choose-your-own downloadable game and there ya go. Good enough for that group.

I mean I agree with @Erathix that it's too bad it's not better (and that there haven't been more) but this just screams of clearing old stock to me.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

It's pessimism more than anything else. A lot of people have been burned by this long game and just decide to pick the worst outcomes so they are more surprised and excited than a better outcome does happen. I mean, at one point 24/25 FY was a thing for some.

The pessimism very much increased in January/February because some were very certain on a Zelda launch. I had hope myself just for shock factor but ultimately Holiday 2023 was always in my heart because May 2023 was simply too soon for marketing purposes and it became clearer as more information developed that Zelda was not going to be launch title or the aim for Nintendo. TOTK is overhyped in my opinion as being the end all, be all for maximising launch profits when I don't think that's necessarily the case. It'll do just fine with a patch update and some DLC. It's not quite the showstopper to me personally to showcase next gen Nintendo and that last trailer did it no favours for me changing my mind on it.

Will be a great game, for sure. But definitely not as mind-blowing as BOTW was for me initially. I think Prime Remastered has won me so far for 2023 (though I am a huge Metroid fan so naturally nothing but Prime 4/Metroid 6 was going to top it for me.)

i mean, we have enough Mario games on the switch. It would feel weird to have a Console with a Movie only design, and havign one with a special mario design for an old game NOW feels weird to.
Thats just the "if you havent bought one by now, you are only interested in playing mario for reasonably cheap after watching the movie".

Zelda special editions are nothing new. We had GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii U.
Switch kinda missed the oportunity with BotW (since it was the launch, no time for special editions), and Links Awakening was semingly not a big enough release. So TotK is the lst chance for that.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom