• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Welp. If that TotK OLED model is real, it likely rules out a Drake release in the first half of this year. And probably for the entire year.

Nintendo isn't releasing a full next-gen successor and a special edition new OLED model both for the Tears of the Kingdom launch.

And if a successor isn't coming out until 2024....why would it be Drake? At that point, Nvidia's Blackwell GPUs will be available for consumers, along with far more powerful and efficient CPU cores than the A78. If NIntendo isn't releasing a new console until 2024, then it shouldn't be running an Ampere GPU and A78 CPU cores from 2020.

It would be similar to the PS5 and Series X releasing with their Zen 2 cores and RDNA 2 GPUs in 2024 instead of 2020. At that point, there is much better tech available.

Last edited:
Ah interesting. I actually haven't bought a special edition for a long time (probably not since the Pikachu yellow GBC???) so I didn't realize they don't usually come with screenshots. Makes sense when they aren't paired with the game, as you said.
Missed this one.

They do when they come with games. I have the Zelda ALBW 3DS XL, and the box has screenshots. It also has a game blurb and an ESRB rating, because the whole thing doubles as a game box.

Welp. If that TotK OLED model is real, it likely rules out a Drake release in the first half of this year.

Nintendo isn't releasing a full next-gen successor and a special edition new OLED model both for the Tears of the Kingdom launch.
They released SE Pokemon models in 2021 the same year the OLED, they can do it again. People who buy a Zelda OLED is a different audience than people who would buy a expensive 400+ dollar Switch 2.

It ended up replacing both, but it wasn't really meant to at the beginning.
you do know NX was meant to unify and streamline development pipelines from both home and handheld console, to avoid the drought scenario that plagued the Wii U and the launch of the 3DS, to ensure a constant stream of games to keep the playerbase engaged, but at that time the 3DS was selling still and made no sense to kill it off immediately, right?

It’s meant to succeed both from the start, it didn’t “eventually succeed it”, it was designed to succeed both since inception

The switch hasn’t been plagued in the same way the Wii U or the 3DS was with titles. 3DS had a lot of small titles but not enough of big ones besides Pokémon. And the Wii U lacked titles.

Welp. If that TotK OLED model is real, it likely rules out a Drake release in the first half of this year. And probably for the entire year.

And if a successor isn't coming out until 2024....why would it be Drake? At that point, Nvidia's Blackwell GPUs will be available for consumers, along with far more powerful and efficient CPU cores than the A78. If NIntendo isn't releasing a new console until 2024, then it shouldn't be running an Ampere GPU and A78 CPU cores from 2020.
While I don't think Drake is coming out in 2023, I don't think the OLED rules out a H2 release. Maybe with Pikmin 4?

While I don't think Drake is coming out in 2023, I don't think the OLED rules out a H2 release. Maybe with Pikmin 4?
Definitely possible. I just would have thought that if Nintendo wants a 2023 launch for the Switch 2, then it would come alongside their biggest release of the year (Tears of the Kingdom).

At this point we might just get a 2024 release with a new 3D Mario.

I agree H2 is possible but I'm not sure it makes much sense, when Zelda could've easily just been delayed to H2. Why release the game in May if a new console is coming in ~September? Especially if the game seems to be mostly done even as of December 2022.

Geekerwan found that the Cortex-A710 is actually less performant and power efficient compared to the Cortex-A78, even when TSMC's used. (There hasn't been any in-depth reviews of the Cortex-A715 since smartphones using SoCs using the Cortex-A715 are only starting to appear in the market.)

I really don't understand where this leap keeps coming from. What, exactly, is ruling out H2 2023? Are people just expecting spring again because that's what happened last time? I'm at a loss.

I'm quoting you because you're the most recent person to say it, but I've seen this exact sentiment all over the last few days and I'm just perplexed. Why do people who thought May or even March was possible now think the entirety of 2023 isn't? Is it just John doubting it on the DF podcast?

I agree H2 is possible but I'm not sure it makes much sense, when Zelda could've easily just been delayed to H2. Why release the game in May if a new console is coming in ~September? Especially if the game seems to be mostly done even as of December 2022.
Hey, I'm not saying it makes sense. I'm just saying we can't rule it out because of this special edition.

its not like I want to raise people hope, but this is fake. The 2nd sentance has a bad patern compared with other specials editions switches (starting with edition?). And why is based on the european edition instead of american or japanese?

I really don't understand where this leap keeps coming from. What, exactly, is ruling out H2 2023? Are people just expecting spring again because that's what happened last time? I'm at a loss.

I'm quoting you because you're the most recent person to say it, but I've seen this exact sentiment all over the last few days and I'm just perplexed. Why do people who think May or even March was possible now think the entirety of 2023 isn't? Is it just John doubting it on the DF podcast?
yeah I agree. an early '24 release is certainly possibile, but I think is good to remember that fall/holiday season is historically Nintendo strongest quarter, ideal to set a proper launch.

I'm quoting you because you're the most recent person to say it, but I've seen this exact sentiment all over the last few days and I'm just perplexed. Why do people who think May or even March was possible now think the entirety of 2023 isn't? Is it just John doubting it on the DF podcast?
Like I said above, why exactly would they not delay Zelda just 4-6 months more if the console is coming out in H2? Zelda is probably the most proven system seller for them, if they can have new hardware ready even like 10 months within a Zelda launch it seems silly not to align the two.

Of course this doesn't say that can't happen, it just feels like a wasted opportunity if they do that. In a business sense.

Geekerwan found that the Cortex-A710 is actually less performant and power efficient compared to the Cortex-A78, even when TSMC's used. (There hasn't been any in-depth reviews of the Cortex-A715 since smartphones using SoCs using the Cortex-A715 are only starting to appear in the market.)

Yeah, by mid 2024 it would be something like an A715 or the successor to the A715.

its not like I want to raise people hope, but this is fake. The 2nd sentance has a bad patern compared with other specials editions switches (starting with edition?). And why is based on the european edition instead of american or japanese?
The second sentence is in French, I'm a Portuguese speaker, and in Latin languages the Edition comes before the name.

Well, the first line is in English and the second in French. I suppose this box was meant to be sold in either Canada or Western Africa.

nintendo-switch-oled-splatoon-3-edition-konsole.jpg

Last edited:
One of the Splatoon 3 OLED boxes does the same thing, starts it with "edition"

311325e0-ca33-495a-be60-2c3357a6f7de.b3660874e9c733a8f3ced5c7c35fd173.jpeg

I'm quoting you because you're the most recent person to say it, but I've seen this exact sentiment all over the last few days and I'm just perplexed. Why do people who thought May or even March was possible now think the entirety of 2023 isn't? Is it just John doubting it on the DF podcast?

I mentioned it above. The assumption being that if Nintendo wanted a 2023 launch for the next-gen system, then it would occur alongside their biggest game release of the year (which is Zelda).

If that special edition Zelda OLED model is legitimate, it likely rules out a successor also being release alongside Zelda. To me, it doesn't make sense for Nintendo not to launch their next-gen system with Zelda, and instead launch it just months alongside a smaller game release.

Like I said above, why exactly would they not delay Zelda just 4-6 months more if the console is coming out in H2? Zelda is probably the most proven system seller for them, if they can have new hardware ready even like 10 months within a Zelda launch it seems silly not to align the two.

Of course this doesn't say that can't happen, it just feels like a wasted opportunity if they do that. In a business sense.
maybe they aren't too confident in zelda. even assuming that it's an incredible masterpiece, it's a very direct sequel made at the same visual fidelity as its predecessor with seemingly very similar gameplay and the same open world. it's taken very long, I suspect due in part to the pandemic, but it's very thoroughly a switch game. in fact, it's the switch gameiest switch game we've got.

meanwhile, 3D Mario could be made to a much higher level of visual fidelity from the ground up, creating a much greater impact for switch 2.

I meant “Edition” is in the last part in splatoon box, here is in the beginning, even before The legend of zelda and Special
Huh?

2bMz2RAl.jpg

It's on a new line but it's in the same spot as on the Splatoon 3 one, it comes after "Nintendo Switch Modele OLED" and before the game name.
maybe they aren't too confident in zelda. even assuming that it's an incredible masterpiece, it's a very direct sequel made at the same visual fidelity as its predecessor with seemingly very similar gameplay and the same open world. it's taken very long, I suspect due in part to the pandemic, but it's very thoroughly a switch game. in fact, it's the switch gameiest switch game we've got.

meanwhile, 3D Mario could be made to a much higher level of visual fidelity from the ground up, creating a much greater impact for switch 2.
Could be, though I have a hard time believing they lack any confidence in Zelda as a system seller. Again it's like, the only series they have which is proven at least twice to jumpstart a massive platform.

I mentioned it above. The assumption being that if Nintendo wanted a 2023 launch for the next-gen system, then it would occur alongside their biggest game release of the year (which is Zelda).

If that special edition Zelda OLED model is legitimate, it likely rules out a successor also being release alongside Zelda. To me, it doesn't make sense for Nintendo not to launch their next-gen system with Zelda, and instead launch it just months alongside a smaller game relea
Because they don't really need the launch to be with TotK, with or without Zelda this thing is going to be sold out for months.

Could be, though I have a hard time believing they lack any confidence in Zelda as a system seller. Again it's like, the only series they have which is proven at least twice to jumpstart a massive platform.
it's going to be just as crusty as it is on switch though. it would've been perfect to sell a switch pro but I won't be surprised if the strategy is to leave it as the main switch title in the middle of next year, something else in October 2023 to June 2024 (maybe Pikmin 4 if they push it enough), and leave it all behind in holiday 2024.

I guess theories are trending at the moment, so I'll give my own.

Everything we know or believe is true. Including all rumors of cancelled hardware and Drake's tested profiles. Clearly next gen Nintendo hardware is off the table for Q1 2023 due to yesterday's surprise leak and for the foreseeable future.

My theory is that Nintendo is choosing to rideout the entirety of 2023 with the ZOLED, MK8DX, Splatoon 3, XB3 DLC's until Drake becomes affordable enough to release it at a Switch 2017 price. Hopefully by Q4 of 2023.

Since i'm about to leave into my holiday vacation until January 9th, and won't be around on the same level as right now for the next two weeks, i'd like to gift everyone in this thread something:

Basilisk-stare---Tommy-Le-012.jpg

The pre-emptive Tommy post. Even if i'm not here, he's always watching you.
Menancingly.
Incredible post in hindsight 😂

For me, the biggest clue to the future of Nintendo is its Twitter banner on the official Japanese account.

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/header_photo

I will go against the recent statements of the DF, the so-called Nvidia leaks, and since they are trying to force a fake news as real, if they focus on the Tegra T239, it would be a SOM or, for the forum, a SoC that is finishing testing in the Today to enter production in factories, some say that the OLED was going to have this chip, if that were the case, it was impossible to launch the OLED in 2021 with a chip that has not yet entered mass production in 2022. In that case, it would be that Nintendo advance a revision without its core that was not ready yet? If we focus on the year 2020, it was a year in which, due to sanitary measures, many facilities were closed for a long time. In the case of video game development, they focused on teleworking to navigate the temporary closures in the offices, but it is possible that the Investigation and development of Nintendo saw its activities suspended almost entirely, since taking a laboratory home is delicate, what this team should have done is the Investigation part, and the development postponed. In the research part, it is normal to test various parts, including various processors, and I think perhaps from various companies.

Anyone who knows business knows that no company limits itself in commercial agreements and even more so when you are the one who buys the parts, so it is not impossible to change the manufacturer of the GPU.

Therefore, the development of the tangible successor console should have been directly affected by the sanitary measures, hence the benefit in sales has allowed Nintendo to conveniently extend the life of Switch. And for me the OLED was always planned as a revision that improves the screen, sound and connectivity. There is something I call the convergence moment that Xbox has already started and that Nintendo may choose to follow soon, and that is the distribution of its software without a tangible Nintendo-branded processing system, in other words the sale of a service with a controller.
Whats happen with that banner?

There's a few possible reasons:

-Zelda has already been delayed quite a bit, and releasing a game initially announced for 2022 in holiday 2023 would disappoint fans.

-The fact that we're unaware of their H2 2023 plans doesn't mean they're not big. For all we know we're getting 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 4, and Metroid Prime 4 on top of the Pokemon expansion. That's kinda crowded. It also might not be happening, but we just don't know what is.

-Cross-gen patches won't be a thing like we hoped, taking away much of the point in aligning the two (this one's a bit far-fetched)

If that special edition Zelda OLED model is legitimate, it likely rules out a successor also being release alongside Zelda. To me, it doesn't make sense for Nintendo not to launch their next-gen system with Zelda, and instead launch it just months alongside a smaller game release.
I would assume that if the next-gen system was ready to release in May, it would. It's likely impossible for them to do so. It could still be possible to get it out by November.

But that doesn't mean delaying an already done Zelda to November suddenly makes the most business sense. For one thing, if the hardware is a holiday release, it's all but guaranteed to sell out as quickly as it can be made anyway. For another, Nintendo has other tentpole IPs that could potentially be ready to go with it. No one would call launching it with 3D Mario a bad move, even if Zelda came out earlier that year. As I outlined above, delaying Zelda could impact the rest of their software schedule in a way that's not beneficial to them if they actually have software ready to go for Q3/Q4.

BotW was effectively an exclusive launch title for the Switch. Nobody owned or cared about the Wii U. Everyone owns a Switch, so maybe Nintendo just doesn't think a game everyone can buy for their Switch, but with a higher resolution and frame rate, is a system seller the way BotW was. It's also possible that since TotK has been in development for so long, and was almost certainly not originally intended to be a crossgen title, that they don't want to spend the development time porting/optimizing it for Drake prior to launch.

The plan could be to move as many Switch OLEDs as possible with a Zelda edition, then use a true exclusive title (or at least a title that better takes advantage of Drake) to launch Drake in the Holiday.

They could also make the big TotK story DLC Drake exclusive the same way FF7 Intermission was.

Rising heat level, 12/30/22
Staff Communication
We’ve noticed the temperature in here rising recently, and it seems like that won’t change next year as anticipation for hardware continues. We are a small team of moderators and reliant on reports, please report posts that you feel cross the line regarding fami’s terms of service, or if you feel the thread could use staff attention at any point.

As always, please remember that the ignore function is available if there are any posters that you wish to not interact with. You also can and should remove yourselves from a thread/subject you have animosity towards, as the moderation staff will take patterns of disruption into account. -PixelKnight, Irene, Josh5890, Aurc, Harina, Red Monster.

Last edited:
There's a few possible reasons:

-The fact that we're unaware of their H2 2023 plans doesn't mean they're not big. For all we know we're getting 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 4, and Metroid Prime 4 on top of the Pokemon expansion. That's kinda crowded. It also might not be happening, but we just don't know what is.
Fair points but I wanted to comment on this one- as someone else noted above a lot of people like Chris Dring and Andy Robinson seem to think TOTK is the last "big" title they'll have for a while, at least through 2023.

Of course they could all just simply be wrong.

Nintendo learned that they do not need to launch during the holiday season in order to have strong launch sales numbers. Nintendo's hardcore fans will be there front and center to buy the first few million units. By launching in March of 2017, this gave Nintendo months to start to build up a library of games and built momentum to capitalize on the holiday. I am very confident that if Switch 2 were to be launching in 2023, Zelda TotK would be a launch title. 2023 could very well be the final big push for the OG Switch as Nintendo starts to prioritize development for Switch 2. Like others have pointed out, maybe thats why so many evergreen titles on Switch are seeing DLC support throughout 2023.

Fair points but I wanted to comment on this one- as someone else noted above a lot of people like Chris Dring and Andy Robinson seem to think TOTK is the last "big" title they'll have for a while, at least through 2023.

Usually leakers don't know about Nintendo's software plans until they reach stores, we have several cases of fully finished games that we only heard about when Nintendo made the announcement. Just note that until today we don't know anything about the next Mario 3D, and we can't say that it doesn't exist because the most likely thing is that it is already in the final stages of development.

GameCube and Wii U did not launch with a Zelda game. Their best selling systems /s.

I‘ve been saying this, but it’s looking more and more likely they’ll be repeating the same mistakes and patterns again. The Wii taught them nothing I fear. Next hardware being a giant flop would not surprise me at all. Let’s keep milking old hardware until it’s dry and loses all the brand image.

I'm not exactly sure why I should pay any mind to Chris Dring or Andy Robinson's thoughts on Nintendo's release schedule 9+ months out. They have no track record for this as far as I'm aware.

Usually leakers don't know about Nintendo's software plans until they reach stores, we have several cases of fully finished games that we only heard about when Nintendo made the announcement. Just note that until today we don't know anything about the next Mario 3D, and we can't say that it doesn't exist because the most likely thing is that it is already in the final stages of development.
On the other hand even when we have no idea what is coming we don't usually hear from people that specifically "nothing big" is planned. It feels like they'd need a fair amount of confidence in whatever information they have to claim a negative like that.

GameCube and Wii U did not launch with a Zelda game. Their best selling systems /s.

I‘ve been saying this, but it’s looking more and more likely they’ll be repeating the same mistakes and patterns again. The Wii taught them nothing I fear. Next hardware being a giant flop would not surprise me at all. Let’s keep milking old hardware until it’s dry and loses all the brand image.
Huh? How is making games for a console milking it? Why is the next console going to flop? I'm so confused.

On the other hand even when we have no idea what is coming we don't usually hear from people that specifically "nothing big" is planned. It feels like they'd need a fair amount of confidence in whatever information they have to claim a negative like that.
yeah I think a general "it'll be a low key year" is pretty believable from a finance side of things

as I believe was said in the other thread though, it's not falsifiable for a long time so we kind of just have to wait

They released SE Pokemon models in 2021 the same year the OLED, they can do it again. People who buy a Zelda OLED is a different audience than people who would buy a expensive 400+ dollar Switch 2.
If im not mistaken SE Pokemon Lite was announced before OLED, also it's not rare for them or any other console makers to announce a new console before while also releasing a console variant for its previous consoles. TLOU2 PS4 Pro and Cyberpunk Xbox One X where announced and out when they acknowledged the other console.

Can everyone start posting less? Past few days have been insane lol.

I’m in the camp that ZOLED means nothing in regards to Switch 2 release. I’m not sure why so many people are coming to that conclusion. Nintendo probably won’t even market it but it’ll sell well with a much cheaper price tag than Switch 2.

I still believe there’s a solid chance of a 3D Mario launch game coinciding with the movie and with Switch 2 trailer playing before the movie. It then makes the strange May TOTK release make more sense.

April - Switch 2 + New Mario 3D Mario
May - TOTK

What a 1, 2 punch to launch the system with, and utilize the movie for the marketing. It makes the push back of the movie make more since too, it was all part of the big marketing push.

I'm not exactly sure why I should pay any mind to Chris Dring or Andy Robinson's thoughts on Nintendo's release schedule 9+ months out. They have no track record for this as far as I'm aware.
Sure, like I said they could just be wrong about that.

Just something I'm considering when I say H2 feels somewhat unlikely.

Can everyone start posting less? Past few days have been insane lol.

I’m in the camp that ZOLED means nothing in regards to Switch 2 release. I’m not sure why so many people are coming to that conclusion. Nintendo probably won’t even market it but it’ll sell well with a much cheaper price tag than Switch 2.

I still believe there’s a solid chance of a 3D Mario launch game coinciding with the movie and with Switch 2 trailer playing before the movie. It then makes the strange May TOTK release make more sense.

April - Switch 2 + New Mario 3D Mario
May - TOTK

What a 1, 2 punch to launch the system with, and utilize the movie for the marketing. It makes the push back of the movie make more since too, it was all part of the big marketing push.
There's no chance that 3D Mario releases in April. Completely none. That's way too short of an announcement to release window.

EDIT: Also, Universal wouldn't push back a movie for a game they don't have control over. That's not how it works.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom