• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I wonder if they will bring Shadows or the Assassin's Creed games that didn't come out on Switch first... I think there are at least 5 🤔
Bring Shadows first. Cement the idea that Switch 2 is a current gen portable console, not a last gen port device. Then bring over the rest of those games in collections.

Beware that Famiboards has very thin skin and you could be banned for naming the unmentionable game.

Since this post was reported by multiple people we are replying to it directly to address a few misconceptions about the Banned Content List (BCL) and how we moderate it.

Firstly, we want to reiterate that the BCL was created with input from the community. Several people expressed discomfort in giving a platform to properties and people that are directly or indirectly harmful to marginalized groups which is why we collectively decided to ban them from Famiboards altogether. The BCL is a summary of the decisions that the community has made, not a list of rules dictated by staff. The mod team is merely here to enforce it, not just in this thread but across all of Famiboards.

We want to stress here that merely mentioning something that is on the banned content list will not get you banned. Usually, we simply notify members with a feedback message. These messages are meant to be seen as guidance and not as a warning. In the vast majority of cases people accept this and everyone moves on. Only once did we have to take further action due to staff feedback concerning the BCL being repeatedly ignored.

On that note, the way staff communication messages are currently spread out across multiple posts in this thread is not ideal. We acknowledge that this makes it difficult to know what the "rules" of this thread are. We are currently in the process of compiling these guidelines into one condensed post, which will be mandatory reading going forward.

- Dardan Sandiego, MissingNo., BassForever, meatbag, Zellia, big lantern ghost, Lord Azrael

Bring Shadows first. Cement the idea that Switch 2 is a current gen portable console, not a last gen port device. Then bring over the rest of those games in collections.
It makes sense and the others will probably be released in packs with two games, I don't see Ubisoft skipping the old AC games 😏

I think that might be a running concern for the early stages of the Switch 2's life tbh. Lotsa last-gen titles to get stuff onto the machine at all. We'll get some new titles day and date, sure, but it's still going to be a long and painful process for some current gen titles. It really depends on the power of the machine and, more critically, how well the Switch 2's launch goes.

Firstly, we want to reiterate that the BCL was created with input from the community. Several people expressed discomfort in giving a platform to properties and people that are directly or indirectly harmful to marginalized groups which is why we collectively decided to ban them from Famiboards altogether. The BCL is a summary of the decisions that the community has made, not a list of rules dictated by staff. The mod team is merely here to enforce it, not just in this thread but across all of Famiboards.
I think most of us are trying are best to stay in compliant of the rules. It just hard to as one game is literally a perfect benchmark between last gen, switch 2, and current gen. When we look at factor such as
  • Ray tracing
  • Crowd density
  • Performance
  • Resolution
It fits the hardware discussion well. Again, I really believe no one here wants to make anyone uncomfortable. It just a difficult subject to pass.

I think that might be a running concern for the early stages of the Switch 2's life tbh. Lotsa last-gen titles to get stuff onto the machine at all. We'll get some new titles day and date, sure, but it's still going to be a long and painful process for some current gen titles. It really depends on the power of the machine and, more critically, how well the Switch 2's launch goes.
Shadows is suppose to be on the PS4. I think we are going to be ok.

So again, you're basing everything on baseless "speculation", and I'm only going to speculate to a certain extent based on the information that's available at this point in time, and the fact of the matter is that NVIDIA and Nintendo are in a win-win situation in terms of gpu development, and Nintendo is realizing the potential to do more with less on a visual level through the development of the graphics technology by NVIDIA.Possibility, if replaced by AMD, Nintendo will undoubtedly need to continue to additional costs.
i dont see any speculation in that post, all theyre saying is that theres never a guarantee of an ongoing partnership between any companies.

Ahh I see we are back in the “Switch won’t sell because insert reason 700 here”

Switch 2 confirmed to sell 100+ million again 😮‍💨
No one outside of those who visits gaming sites purchase an Asus ROG Ally, heck i can walk around my nneighborhood and ask if anyone knows what an ROG ally is. The large majority isn't spending 700 for a handheld. Steam deck last 3 million. I think what a lot of people forget is that marketing matters.

it's such an overt downgrade to a portable device that I thought we'd escape it
GBA at launch was smaller than original GB at launch, but since then the trajectory has been bigger.
they don't make the new iphone a little bigger every year... do they?
There's a bit of seesawing with products released nearly annually, but definitely smartphones in general have been getting bigger over the years. Original iPhone (2007) 4.53" tall, iPhone 8 (2017) 5.45", iPhone 15 (2023) 5.81".
I'm shocked, though in an altruistic way happy, that opinions are as overwhelmingly positive in this thread as they are

we're staring down the barrel at:
[*]worse battery life than any switch made since 2019
So, better than the one I've been using since 2017.
[*]a worse screen than the OLED model (oh but raccoon LCD is good something something OLED grain okay whatever but it's worse imo and anecdotally to a lot of people)
SIGNIFICANTLY better than the one I've been using since 2017.
[*]dramatically worse portability for anyone who doesn't plan their bag organization around a single video game device
Unchanged from the one I've been using since 2017.
[*]compute power that is, while impressive, still substantially below the series s, a system already maligned by devs
25% improvement over the Series S spec that gets the most complaint.
[*]and perhaps worst of all, not a peep about anything actually new! unless you count a new way for the controllers to stick onto the sides which I uh ehhhh don't really sorry
And STILL an improvement from 2017 Switch, which actively removed things from the machines it was replacing, like the camera and mic.
And that Nintendo, a company whose entire 21st Century mission has been defined by the failure of the GameCube, a console whose sole pitch was "a more powerful version of what you already own", is totally cool with trying it again.
"A more powerful version of the distant second place console" wasn't a winning idea. "A more powerful version of the first place console" was such a winning idea it remains the top selling console ever.
I read it properly, but the number 2 isn’t exciting at all, you could use the same argument for Switch Super, Ultra, Advance or anything else.
The difference I think is that for something like "Super Famicom" adding a word to the console title is new. But now we see so many models of machines that are New or Pro or X versions that it would be much more ambiguous what a "Super Switch" or "Switch DX" meant.
so Ray-Tracing is possible on portable mode?
About the only thing possible on docked mode that you shouldn't expect as possible on portable mode is video output of greater than 1080p.
Apparently the switch 2 would meet the requirements for a retina display at an average viewing distance of 11", so for games that hit its native resolution there will be no pixelation whatsoever.
That's a liiitle oversimplified. Based on my experience you can be in what's considered "retina" pixel density, but if producing an aliased image you're still going to be able to notice those sharp edges. But at Switch 2 distance/dimensions, yeah, the difference between a well-anti-aliased 1080p and 2160p would probably escape almost all eyes.
Might be wrong, but fully on Lovelace would enable Frame Generation from DLSS 3, for example?
It probably still wouldn't make it very useful for such a low power device, though. Like, we've spent plenty of time talking about how costly just doing DLSS super resolution to 4K will be for Switch 2 and how feasible it will be. Frame generation is another level of cost beyond that.

This video compares DLSS frame generation off and on for several games at 1080p using a 4060, the lowest level 4000 card out there. The game with the biggest FPS gain is Need For Speed Unbound, which seems to change things from 100-110 to 150-160. For simplicity, let's say it's changing 105 to 156. VERY LOOSE calculations following, but similar to what Digital Foundry did for its DLSS calculations with the 2050.

At 105fps, each frame is taking 9.5 milliseconds. At 156, that's 78 real frames and 78 generated frames. If each real frame has the same cost as before, that accounts for 741ms, leaving 259. 259ms / 78 = 3.3ms per generated frame. Of at least the games shown, this was the cheapest for generated frames. Similar calculations for Witcher 3 had each generated frame over 5ms.

Now consider both that that the 4060 has several times the compute capabilities we could optimally expect for a docked Switch 2 (or a theoretical Lovelace Switch 2), let alone portable. Now consider that frame generation costs scale with resolution, so generating a 1440p or 4K frame would be much more costly. So maybe if we're lucky we end up with a version of Switch 2 where in portable mode it can DLSS generate a 1080p frame in 20ms, and in docked mode take the same time for a 1500p frame. Not very useful if most games would be expecting to spend 16 or 33 ms per real frame anyway.

i dont see any speculation in that post, all theyre saying is that theres never a guarantee of an ongoing partnership between any companies.
Sure, it's obvious and I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't choose to tie themselves to a boat, but it's clear that since NVIDIA helped Nintendo realize the idea of low-power, high-performance, which is something Nintendo has always strived for along with the cost advantage, I don't see the possibility at this point that Nintendo would leave NVIDIA in the 10th generation.

No one outside of those who visits gaming sites purchase an Asus ROG Ally, heck i can walk around my nneighborhood and ask if anyone knows what an ROG ally is. The large majority isn't spending 700 for a handheld. Steam deck last 3 million. I think what a lot of people forget is that marketing matters.

I think people forget the audiences too...I was at my daughter's music program the other night and between in the audience waiting for it to start and afterwards, I heard probably no less than 30 different kids talking about the Switch 2 in some form...it was wild.

It's all the kids in my household talk about...they watch YT videos on it, when their friends are over it's what they talk about, etc.

They're not talking about the ROG Ally or Steam Deck lol...

This thing is gonna be by far the hottest gaming item of 2025.

Sure, it's obvious and I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't choose to tie themselves to a boat, but it's clear that since NVIDIA helped Nintendo realize the idea of low-power, high-performance, which is something Nintendo has always strived for along with the cost advantage, I don't see the possibility at this point that Nintendo would leave NVIDIA in the 10th generation.
More than any company's collaboration with AMD, Nintendo's relationship with Nvidia feels like something out of mutual convenience. The Tegra line is low-power and high-performance as stated, which is ideal for Nintendo's handheld goals while keeping the costs down overall. Nvidia meanwhile gets a slice of the pie while also being allowed to demo DLSS and Ray-Tracing technologies to the public. It's kinda genius honestly, and it allows both of them to operate far better than if they did something themselves. I don't see Nintendo abandoning Nvidia, at least in the foreseeable future.

I feel like CPU’s are a real problem. Not necessarily for switch 2 but computing in general. They are starting to become worse bottlenecks even when buying top tier chips.

A buddy of mine who manages a massive server farm expressed concern on advancements/growth in tech going forward.

As such, I think your comment is spot on. I’m not sure we really need hardware capable of 8K. Get to 4K60 (via DLSS at least) and let’s park there for awhile. Work on input, displays, and ease of use.

And..

grabs shield and whispers

VR and XR? Spatial computing?

runs

I'm going to miss the days of going from the SNES to N64, N64 to Gamecube, and seeing these huge graphical leaps.

I've said it before, but this is basically the "final frontier". We know the Switch 2 is going to be in the ball-park area of the Series S/PS4 Pro and that's fantastic. IMO, the improvements are getting smaller and smaller and that's a nice sweet-spot where it'll get the lion's share of titles from the 8th, 9th, and some of the 10th generation. It feels silly that a PS5 Pro is under development when it barely feels like the 9th gen has even gotten started and we're arguably plateauing when it comes to graphics. It's more about budget and a director's vision than it is about hardware these days.

Wii U outsold Steam Deck.

200.webp

The most popular alternative handheld, the Deck, has sold, what 3 million units? Let's say 4.

The Switch has sold 141 million. A very casual 35.25x more units than the Deck. The overlap is truly insignificant compared to the mass market appeal
And Wii U nearly made them go bankruptcy. In this world you cant take something for granted, especially in tech. But yeah, Nintendo games... are unbeatable!

He has a point tho, handheld landscape is going to rocket on 2025-26 not only for Nintendo.

Wii U outsold Steam Deck.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

They're not talking about the ROG Ally or Steam Deck lol...
They spend so much money on hardware they leave out the marketing. In fact, I have never seen a steam commercial much less a steam deck commercial. The only promotion I saw with the steam deck was at one of the VGA.
The most popular alternative handheld, the Deck, has sold, what 3 million units? Let's say 4.

The Switch has sold 141 million. A very casual 35.25x more units than the Deck. The overlap is truly insignificant compared to the mass market appeal
You know what I think, if we put ourselves in his shoes, maybe in his mind the friends he has all have PC Handheld or maybe he frequents a PC handheld group or website. Then, for whatever reason, he feels like the whole world see the Switch as useless now.

In fact, when we take a look of this concept of seeing your point of view as the world point of view, you can see why debates turns into a shit show.

And Wii U nearly made them go bankruptcy. In this world you cant take something for granted, especially in tech. But yeah, Nintendo games... are unbeatable!

He has a point tho, handheld landscape is going to rocket on 2025-26 not only for Nintendo.
...only if Sony and Microsoft joins in. ASUS has been in the handheld games for a few years and they are still where they are right now.

If Nvidia does have a more expensive chip they're planning to use for handheld PCs ... I don't see that as bad news. Maybe Nintendo could circle back in a few years when it's cheaper and use it as a Switch 2 Pro.

I mean Nintendo was never going to use a $300 GPU, a $300 GPU implies a hardware system that's probably $700-$800 or so after profit margin is factored in and that's unrealistic.

If they're upset that Nintendo is dragging their heels on releasing the Switch 2, well fair enough. That's just one of those things where nothing can be done. Nintendo is not going to launch with a weak software lineup, doesn't matter if fans, Nvidia, etc. are getting anxious.
Maybe pairing an x86 processor with their chip that they don't design themselves, only provide the rights to use a mobile level GTX chip, i don't see a market specifically for an ARM based SoC. I would also strongly suspect there is a noncompete clause in Nintendo's partnership with nvidia and ARM based SoC being supplied specifically for gaming to a non Nintendo device may not be the same as the X1 showing up in Shield TVs, the Google Pixel and some VR headsets back in the day.

In fact, I have never seen a steam commercial much less a steam deck commercial.
Well, Valve isnt public but every year it gets closer and closer to Nintendo, their shop generates a lot of money without marketing.

only if Sony and Microsoft joins in
They will, everyone will. My bet is that every big company will try to get a small piece in the handheld world.

Just like phones, tablets, laptops... The new tech is way better for the small factor than it was 5-7 years ago.

I'm ready to see the Switch news feed start advertising Switch 2.

Imma feel some type of way about it

ZKAtICEv7u7ZQbYYEz4oyYmFrLGADdrVTxTU9uAGHmc.jpg
Oh it was so much worse than JUST this.

The Wii U GamePad would TURN ITSELF ON to blast a full screen Nintendo Switch ad at all times of day. Because it was apparently not adjusted for time zone, I got one at ONE AM!

THEN, the banner on the QUICK LAUNCH menu was set to Nintendo Switch for MONTHS! Every time you turned on the GamePad before the console to use the quick launcher, NINTENDO SWITCH.

At least Nintendo Switch doesn't turn itself on to show you news feeds, and you can turn off the Nintendo News and only receive software update news, but by default the home screen shows three news articles (ads), and I have no doubt they'll be showing Switch 2 'articles' to as many people as they can for as long as they can.

And the whole debate is a sideshow. Switch will end up a close to 160 million selling device. Lets just say the Switch 2 sees a massive decline, that it declines 60 million from 160 million to 100 million sales. That is still a great and respectable number that Nintendo have only reached with 2 previous consoles and which Microsoft have never achieved as of yet when it comes to console sales. I don't think Nvidia would be disappointed by such numbers as well. AMD seems happy about the number of sales they get from their console business.

There is zero chance that a unified Nintendo hybrid system could ever reach the low amount of sales like a Wii U, which was not a unified Nintendo system and got less games than its handheld 3DS counterpart.

The Wii U GamePad would TURN ITSELF ON to blast a full screen Nintendo Switch ad at all times of day. Because it was apparently not adjusted for time zone, I got one at ONE AM!

THEN, the banner on the QUICK LAUNCH menu was set to Nintendo Switch for MONTHS! Every time you turned on the GamePad before the console to use the quick launcher, NINTENDO SWITCH.

At least Nintendo Switch doesn't turn itself on to show you news feeds, and you can turn off the Nintendo News and only receive software update news, but by default the home screen shows three news articles (ads), and I have no doubt they'll be showing Switch 2 'articles' to as many people as they can for as long as they can.
That is hilarious.

And they’ll spam you with “Upgrade to Switch 2!“ emails.

I remember reading that the ROG Ally sold something like ~500k units. I don't think the PC handheld market is going to crash the switch 2 party. I do believe the handheld pc competition is being a bit overblown in my opinion. While I myself own a Lenovo legion go I actually use it as a laptop replacement rather than a handheld gaming machine. Don't get me wrong it's nice emulating and playing a few games on the Legion go, but I use it more for general web browsing and some work tasks. I would say it's snappier than the 7 year old laptop I was using before I bought the Legion go.

Every true gamer knows that gamers all over the world united quickly behind PC master race lord Gabe Newell and threw their Nintendo Switches away as soon as Gaben announced the Steam deck.

/s.
That's true, 100% true absolutely true, we all know that the large majority of gamers play on expensive PCs after all /s

That's true, 100% true absolutely true, we all know that the large majority of gamers play on expensive PCs after all /s
Real talk people REALLY overestimate how popular PC is, thinking that PC sales make up a ton of a games sales when in reality it's not even a half of what it sells on console most of the time. Sometimes not even a fraction. Not helping that a lot of PC gamers usually buy full priced games when they're on sale.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom