• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

You don't need a 90 Hz screen for 40 FPS, you need a screen that can adjust its refresh rate to 40 (as well as 30 as that will be much more common).

Essentially all TVs do this already, but only for 24 FPS (as that is what film is almost always shot at).
…do they though? I thought since 24 divides into 60 evenly 3 times, a 60Hz display has no issues displaying 24FPS content

Edit: oh my god. My math LMFAOOOO

Nintendo wants their modes to have parity where possible, the current system is designed to give you parity except for resolution, which makes sense when there's a screen size difference. If you want to replicate that idea in the here and now, that means 4KHDR60 and 1080pHDR60. For this same reason I doubt we see VRR, or HDR12, nor Dolby Atmos nor Dolby Vision.
I think having to pay Dolby a licence fee for access to Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision is more likely the reason for Nintendo for probably not supporting Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision than for feature parity reasons.

I think having to pay Dolby a licence fee for access to Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision is more likely the reason for Nintendo for probably not supporting Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision than for feature parity reasons.
I think price is a concern at hand, of course. However, I do think parity is a relevant, palpable reason, at least with Vision; Nintendo is willing to allow surround sound on Switch after all, but there's something to be said about the positional resolution of headphones vs surround sound that's different to one simply being better.

Best benchmarks I've seen suggest that Steam Deck OLED is 2.5-8% faster in games, but the tests strongly suggest that it's CPU limited cases that get us the higher number. The "AMD raster advantage" is something like 30%. I would bet that the lack of Infinity Cache isn't really hurting the Steam Deck here.

Not entirely sure what you're responding to, my Infinity Cache comment or the statement about the "Raster advantage"

Raster Advantage is just benchmarking by TFLOPS, it seems pretty consistent across lots of cards and tests. It's possible that there are arrangements of the CUs/SMs that tilt one way or the other, but I don't have the data to test those. Perhaps those do, in fact, lean against the Steam Deck in this case.

Infinity Cache - yeah, absolutely, the architecture is screaming out for it. But we can't test with IC on and off. In the case of the Steam Deck specifically, we can test what happens when we throw significantly more bandwidth at it. It doesn't make the Deck seem bandwidth starved.

It's highly possible that IC would offer performance benefits that are more about cache friendly workloads, than bandwidth usage per se. On balance, the benchmarks seem to suggest that the lack of the IC isn't dragging the Steam Deck by 30%. But there might be better benchmarks that tease it out. I'm not 100% confident on this at all. Not even 70%.
Sorry, it was in response to the above quoted. Having the cache can help to have less need to reach out to the RAM and makes it more efficient. Due to the Cache having much lower latency and its large size can help keep the more important things on the chip rather than having to reach out to it. You know this, but it’s the large size of it.

Well, maybe in a dedicated device more so than a general purposes GPU… but it has an effect still.

Last edited:
Totally off topic, but good God have I missed your contributions to this thread. Thanks for poppin' in and sharing some more knowledge, Redd! All the best.
Aw, thank you! But I won’t be back for long! This was brief but I’ll probably pop back up when the new system is revealed (so maybe never at this rate 😝)

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom