• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Maybe I'm mixing things up with this...

The appearance echoes the rumours that have been reported over the past months, namely around the concept being centred upon a portable console with detachable controllers. The result is a console and handheld hybrid, which separates itself with three parts: a dock; a performance module; and a handheld.

Isnt this "performance module" even though they claim it to be fake, still possible?

I'll mention again something I did plently of times, but software will tell you the most about when Nintendo intends to release this device.

I am almost 100% sure than Dane won't launch after BotW2 for instance.
I would not be at all surprised if BOTW2 follows the BOTW release pattern. Release on Switch for those who have been waiting for it, release at the same time or a few months later on the new model. Or who knows, maybe the same piece of software automagically runs on both machines - but to different effect (2 different runtime profiles).

As a Wii U owner, I was grateful I could play the game straight away without having to wait for Switch.

I would not be at all surprised if BOTW2 follows the BOTW release pattern. Release on Switch for those who have been waiting for it, release at the same time or a few months later on the new model. Or who knows, maybe the same piece of software automagically runs on both machines - but to different effect (2 different runtime profiles).

As a Wii U owner, I was grateful I could play the game straight away without having to wait for Switch.
It obviously won't skip the OG Switch but it'll be timed with the next hardware to push both hardware and software sales to the maximum.

Isnt this "performance module" even though they claim it to be fake, still possible?
Any such device would need to be doing something 'eGPU' like in nature, offsetting workload to the dock via its external port (USB-C etc). And it would either need to do it differently to how its currently done on PCs (be smarter somehow) or it would just be inherently inefficient..

I'm not much of a hardware person - I mainly follow these threads for the insight from you guys - but I believe the drawbacks and limitations of eGPUs are down to the bandwidth and potential bottlenecks of USB-C and Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt has a max throughput of ~32-40 gigabits per second, Physical PCIE slots in a desktop PC have many times more than that - so using a GPU in an external enclosure is automatically less efficient than having it inside the console unless you do something special and proprietary. The current Switch model *doesn't* use thunderbolt - and it almost certainly doesn't have the necessary hardware setup (in terms of PCIE-lane-like wiring) in order to get huge amounts of data back and forth across a single connection - largely because, we know it's USB-C - which is around 1/3 as fast as Thunderbolt 3, which isn't fast enough anyway. A new device would have to be designed with it in mind, and have one or more faster ports, maybe even provide a proprietary connector, OR if its not doing anything clever at all, they would just have to accept that they'd be selling us a GPU housing that we're not going to be able to make the most of...

In the PC world at least - for the time being - there is a performance hit for using eGPU like solutions:

I would love to see someone attempt something like this, it would remind me of being able to expand the N64 shared RAM back in the day, but unless we hear something concrete that alludes to this, I can't see it happening personally.

Last edited:
Any such device would need to be doing something 'eGPU' like in nature, offsetting workload to the dock via its external port (USB-C etc) - it would need to either do it differently to how its currently done on PCs (be smarter somehow) or it would be inherently inefficient..

I'm not much of a hardware person - I mainly follow these threads for the insight from you guys - but I believe the drawbacks and limitations of eGPUs are down to the bandwidth and potential bottlenecks of USB-C and Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt has a max throughput of ~32-40 gigabits per second, Physical PCIE slots in a desktop PC have many times more than that - so using a GPU in an external enclosure is automatically less efficient than having it inside the console unless you do something special and proprietary. The current Switch model *doesn't* use thunderbolt - and it almost certainly doesn't have the necessary hardware setup (in terms of PCIE-lane-like wiring) in order to get huge amounts of data back and forth across a single connection - largely because, we know it's USB-C - which is around 1/3 as fast as Thunderbolt 3, which isn't fast enough anyway. A new device would have to be designed with it in mind, and have one or more faster ports, maybe even provide a proprietary connector, OR if its not doing anything clever at all, they would just have to accept that they'd be selling us a GPU housing that we're not going to be able to make the most of...

In the PC world at least - for the time being - there is a performance hit for using eGPU like solutions:

I would love to see someone attempt something like this, it would remind me of being able to expand the N64 shared RAM back in the day, but unless we hear something concrete that alludes to this, I can't see it happening personally.

Fair enough. Just thinking out loud, could Nintendo put a modern Tegra (Dane with RAM) in a Dock where when you dock the Switch the game loads from the Switch cartridge through the Switch to the USB-C and the game runs 100% on the dock, bypassing the Switch SOC completely?

Fair enough. Just thinking out loud, could Nintendo put a modern Tegra (Dane with RAM) in a Dock where when you dock the Switch the game loads from the Switch cartridge through the Switch to the USB-C and the game runs 100% on the dock, bypassing the Switch SOC completely?
That would completely destroy the "Switching" functionality. You would not be able to seamlessly dock or undock your console, it would need to restart the game each time you did that.

And also something that nobody has commented on, why raise the price of the regular Switch and upgrade it with features that could be held back for a successor? The only way this makes sense to me is if what Nintendo is working on is a stationary unit.
IMO:
Some component prices have increased (we know for certain of some price increases. eg. by TSMC at least, though we of course have no details of Nintendo contracts), probably making the OG Switch less profitable. Now Nintendo had two choices:
1. Increasing Switch price with no change, seemingly (to consumers) "just because we can". Not a good look to the average consumer, and I actually wouldn't bet on it that Switch sales would have continued as is in the long run. It is my belief (and probably Nintendo's) this would have hurt Switch momentum.
2. Raise the price but give more in return (while at least maintaining a certain profit level).

They chose option 2, which will at least keep momentum, and who knows, maybe even increase it a little (we'll see).

That would completely destroy the "Switching" functionality. You would not be able to seamlessly dock or undock your console, it would need to restart the game each time you did that.

I see what you are saying, but wouldn't this be only for people who want to play 4k Switch games on a fancy OLED tv therefore they will play only docked. Also, with the Lite Nintendo destroyed the Switching process.

Also haven't they done this exact same thing in the past- released an upgraded model at a higher price about a year before a successor launches?

DSi XL launched in late 2009, 3DS launched in early 2011.

Also haven't they done this exact same thing in the past- released an upgraded model at a higher price about a year before a successor launches?
I mean, it depends if you see Switch as a Handheld or as a Console, cause they also do have not make a mid gen upgrade in their Consoles (unless you count in the Expansion Pack for N64)

I see what you are saying, but wouldn't this be only for people who want to play 4k Switch games on a fancy OLED tv therefore they will play only docked. Also, with the Lite Nintendo destroyed the Switching process.

The Lite has no ability to break a game like that. With this hypothetical 4k dock you're discussing they're still leaving the possibility that the consumer will undock it at a moment's notice which will break the game being played.

There's really no reason for them to release a dock like this that will play the game entirely by itself, when they can just release a standalone console with no docking functionality that does the exact same thing.

I mean, it depends if you see Switch as a Handheld or as a Console, cause they also do have not make a mid gen upgrade in their Consoles (unless you count in the Expansion Pack for N64)
It's quite clear that from a hardware and revision standpoint they obviously view the Switch as a handheld. It has basically the same revision pattern as the 3DS.

The Lite has no ability to break a game like that. With this hypothetical 4k dock you're discussing they're still leaving the possibility that the consumer will undock it at a moment's notice which will break the game being played.

There's really no reason for them to release a dock like this that will play the game entirely by itself, when they can just release a standalone console with no docking functionality that does the exact same thing.

It's quite clear that from a hardware and revision standpoint they obviously view the Switch as a handheld. It has basically the same revision pattern as the 3DS.

So are you saying that there is nothing Nintendo can do to prevent the game from crashing if someone removed the Switch from this hypothetical dock?

So are you saying that there is nothing Nintendo can do to prevent the game from crashing if someone removed the Switch in this hypothetical dock?
Correct. A standalone 4k console would be much cheaper, more straightforward, and would not present this problem.

Going by what happened with the GBA to DS leap, I think Nintendo allows backwards compat, without any spec upgrade to the OG Switch version of the game. If what SciresM is saying is factual, then this is what I'm coming to expect.

I also think this is likely. Lets say Nintendo is shooting for March 2023 with the Pro/2 and BOTW comes out November 2022 but is optimized for Pro/2. I'd personally rather them just delay the game release to launch with the new revision/system. Better LOD management would be the biggest graphical improvement to botw and i think it would be worth waiting for.

1. Increasing Switch price with no change, seemingly (to consumers) "just because we can". Not a good look to the average consumer, and I actually wouldn't bet on it that Switch sales would have continued as is in the long run. It is my belief (and probably Nintendo's) this would have hurt Switch momentum.

HARD DISAGREE!!! :giggle: The regular Switch would have still sold out at a higher price. People still underestimate how much a sales driver for the Switch, Mario Kart 8 is. The regular Switch for example has a garbage kickstand and even with the announcement of the OLED, the regular Switch is still selling out. People just want a the regular Switch. Just look at the Amazon and the Amazon.jp bestseller lists for hints. And before you ask "If they could raise the price of the regular Switch, why make the OLED?" IMO, they are postioning the OLED as a relaunch. They want to extend the life of the Switch and keep it a hot seller.

I just did some digging....

"Switch SCD to potentially have 8GB ram, 3.5 teraflop 1060 class gpu"​

This is a rumor from a then trusted source??? There were rumors of a Switch Dock with its own GPU from as far back as 2017. It was based on a Foxconn leak. So cant we see that show up eventually or was that rumor wrong?

These are really just pertained to the patent, where someone conflated an idea and someone else entertained it to where it grew to being a rumor, when it came about after the game of telephone the rumor was formalized into this idea of a dock that helps with the switch, but said technology does not really exist yet. Or probably will exist for a very long time until they can manage to make it work. It is of course still only a patent, and the concept is of course interesting, but in the current switch, or even in the next switch, possibly not until switch 12 or 13 would it be a viable option.

not necessarily, while the thing can output to 4k, there are still other benefits when it isn’t outputting a 4k video signal. Namely faster loading times, better hold to framerate target, more ambitious titles can be ported with "lossless" outcome, etc.

The device would be doing 4k, but 4k is not the only thing the device brings to the table.

AoC would have presumably a flawless 60FPS.

ACNH would have presumably very low load times, almost "instant"

Ports would not require such herculean efforts for some titles, titles that weren’t going to the base switch already but are possible on the Dane model.

I would not focus on just the docked aspect of this, but include the handheld aspect of this, it seemingly becomes more phone-like in nature except it would actually make use of the power.

Phones follow this super high need to go for faster when... phone games don’t generally fit the specifications. Looking at you candy crush despite being on a device with 1.7TFLOPS that outclasses the PS4 GPU and a cpu that outclasses the PS4 Pro and XBox One X.

give or take.

Anyway, switch would actually get some benefit of it in how games just load on phones.

I went off-track, sorry.

DSi XL launched in late 2009, 3DS launched in early 2011.
Not really or I wouldn’t really argue the DSi but a different example would probably fit it better.
Going by what happened with the GBA to DS leap, I think Nintendo allows backwards compat, without any spec upgrade to the OG Switch version of the game. If what SciresM is saying is factual, then this is what I'm coming to expect.
Thing is that it’s impossible to not have a perf increase, while GPU could possibly not be used to the fullest, the CPU and memory bandwidth would still be major improvements over the switch. We saw that with the PS4 games on the PS5.
So are you saying that there is nothing Nintendo can do to prevent the game from crashing if someone removed the Switch from this hypothetical dock?
There really isn’t, the data transfer to and from already causes some latency, and cutting the RAM off while the game is running would cause a crash as it has insufficient memory to load.

At least right now or in the next few years, or several years, or decade.

You're free to do so, but don't expect dismissal of one of the more respected sources in the industry to be a popular take in here.

This seems to be a sentiment rooted in a very small sample size of older Nintendo systems; mainly the Wii mini and Game Boy Micro. The thing is, in this day and age, the release of a successor does not automatically mark the death of its predecessor; see all the PS4 and Xbox One titles still releasing. Nintendo could intentionally drag out support for the current Switch even longer if they wished, which leads me into:

This strategy and releasing a successor in 1-2 years are not mutually exclusive things. Nintendo could release a new device next year and still be supporting the current Switch with major releases in 3 years, if they really wanted - and there's valid reasons to do this.

If they were boosting performance on the OLED model they'd have advertised it already - even if it was just for select upcoming games.

That's outright false.
Source: I own and overclocked a modded OG Switch.
I don’t agree. They let the MK11 team up the clocks and it wasn’t a big revelation. It just happened. I don’t see why they couldn’t do this here also. Either way here is some info

“under max load, stock, the CPU runs at 60 degrees C. With a max overclock, that creeps up to 64. With the GPU also overclocked, 67. The chip doesn't start to throttle until 83 degrees C, so... it's probably completely safe to overclock at max at all times. Battery life impact is another concern entirely, but the watt usage apparently goes up from 15 to 19 watts.”
This along with other videos I have watched over the years in this topic. Obviously the fan works harder in these countries dictions. That could leak to a malfunction. Not sure if Nintendo have upgraded the fans over the different versions. Am curious as to what your experiences have been?

DF backing up Bloomberg, says 4k kits existing is "self evident". Skeptical that the OLED was ever supposed to be 4k, and doubts it's a 2022 device, but says it's possible.

I don’t agree. They let the MK11 team up the clocks and it wasn’t a big revelation. It just happened. I don’t see why they couldn’t do this here also. Either way here is some info
That's not true. The 460 MHz GPU clock used by MK11 in handheld mode had been used by Switch games since launch. It wasn't suddenly added - and it's not a true overclock ether, since we know every Switch is validated to run the GPU at 768 MHz.

“under max load, stock, the CPU runs at 60 degrees C. With a max overclock, that creeps up to 64. With the GPU also overclocked, 67. The chip doesn't start to throttle until 83 degrees C, so... it's probably completely safe to overclock at max at all times. Battery life impact is another concern entirely, but the watt usage apparently goes up from 15 to 19 watts.”
This along with other videos I have watched over the years in this topic. Obviously the fan works harder in these countries dictions. That could leak to a malfunction. Not sure if Nintendo have upgraded the fans over the different versions. Am curious as to what your experiences have been?
This is going to vary chip by chip due to minor variations in production. And it's not just a matter of chip temperature; every board delivering power to the chip has to be designed around that amount of power, and I know of at least one board that will burn up if left like this. Additionally, even if it's not throttling, it's certainly easy to get the Switch too hot to touch; that's not acceptable for a device that's supposed to be capable of being undocked at any moment.

But let's say all of that wasn't true for a second. Even if this particular Switch is capable of running at max clocks acceptably, it doesn't mean every Switch on the market is. When the SOC is being validated, it only has to meet certain power/efficiency thresholds; some chips are going to be well above the threshold, and some are going to be very close. Nintendo has no idea how the Switches close to the threshold are going to react to being clocked higher, and if they weren't tested for higher clocks at factory, then they just can't be overclocked now in the wild and expected to be fine. Nintendo has no idea what the actual results would be.

Has anyone done a complete teardown/analysis of the OLED dock? All this talk of a "Pro dock" and I can't help but feel like the OLED dock is exactly that "4k" trojan horse. (i.e. firmware support, and possible built in upscaler/support for 4k signals).

That's not true. The 460 MHz GPU clock used by MK11 in handheld mode had been used by Switch games since launch. It wasn't suddenly added - and it's not a true overclock ether, since we know every Switch is validated to run the GPU at 768 MHz.

This is going to vary chip by chip due to minor variations in production. And it's not just a matter of chip temperature; every board delivering power to the chip has to be designed around that amount of power, and I know of at least one board that will burn up if left like this. Additionally, even if it's not throttling, it's certainly easy to get the Switch too hot to touch; that's not acceptable for a device that's supposed to be capable of being undocked at any moment.

But let's say all of that wasn't true for a second. Even if this particular Switch is capable of running at max clocks acceptably, it doesn't mean every Switch on the market is. When the SOC is being validated, it only has to meet certain power/efficiency thresholds; some chips are going to be well above the threshold, and some are going to be very close. Nintendo has no idea how the Switches close to the threshold are going to react to being clocked higher, and if they weren't tested for higher clocks at factory, then they just can't be overclocked now in the wild and expected to be fine. Nintendo has no idea what the actual results would be.
Question, does the Nvidia shield run at same clocks as switch or different ones? Switch has one more GB of Ram but that’s the only difference right, at least in the SOC? I know form factors are different but I’m just curious.

Question, does the Nvidia shield run at same clocks as switch or different ones? Switch has one more GB of Ram but that’s the only difference right, at least in the SOC? I know form factors are different but I’m just curious.
It has higher max clocks (IIRC 2 GHz CPU and 1 GHz GPU) but throttles rather quickly. Chip validation for chips headed to the Shield instead of the Switch likely has different specifications.

Has anyone done a complete teardown/analysis of the OLED dock? All this talk of a "Pro dock" and I can't help but feel like the OLED dock is exactly that "4k" trojan horse. (i.e. firmware support, and possible built in upscaler/support for 4k signals).
No, not yet.

I respectfully disagree. There are many people on the net that have modded the OG switch. They have ran the clocks at full speed trying to get it to have heating and thermal issues. They haven’t been able to. Even if they make it available just for high end AAA third party developers. It’s just a dream of mine because imo there is no reason not to.

Good to hear. I’m down for whatever info you can give us. Personally I could care less about the “4K” switch now. The reality for “ME” is third party is king. A new “more powerful” switch wouldn’t excite me if a new COD or GTA isn’t available for it. They are the two best selling third party ips. Neither of them are available on switch which he been the best selling console the past 3 years. It’s unacceptable to me. So if a new more powerful switch doesn’t come with high end great selling third party content then I’m good.
Oh hey, I remember you from era!

It's very possibly the case that the dock will be upgraded to allow for 4k output, yeah. Redesigning the dock to do this would make sense if they are indeed planning to release a console capable of 4k rendering (natively or with DLSS) within the next couple years.

Just for reference: Lenovo is developing a cloud gaming handheld.

lenovo-legion-play_02.jpg

“Designed for AAA gaming, the Lenovo Legion Play is the first Android cloud gaming console. The console lets users play hundreds of cloud games, stream their game library, or play mobile games. It features a 7″ 16:9 FHD bezel-less display, HDR 10, built-in controllers, dual speakers, dual vibration, and 7000mAh battery to provide the best gaming experience. Our developer program is open to all game developers. Coming soon in select markets.”

The "developer program" sounds to me that Lenovo may be building their own cloud gaming service (or white-labeling a 3rd party service). If so, they will have a recurring revenue stream from subscriptions, thus potentially pricing the device very low.

Just for reference: Lenovo is developing a cloud gaming handheld.

lenovo-legion-play_02.jpg

“Designed for AAA gaming, the Lenovo Legion Play is the first Android cloud gaming console. The console lets users play hundreds of cloud games, stream their game library, or play mobile games. It features a 7″ 16:9 FHD bezel-less display, HDR 10, built-in controllers, dual speakers, dual vibration, and 7000mAh battery to provide the best gaming experience. Our developer program is open to all game developers. Coming soon in select markets.”

The "developer program" sounds to me that Lenovo may be building their own cloud gaming service (or white-labeling a 3rd party service). If so, they will have a recurring revenue stream from subscriptions, thus potentially pricing the device very low.
My question is, considering it is running Android, what SoC will it use?

I at least hope it runs on the Snapdragon 845 the Ayn Odin does.
Either that or the latest snapdragon 700 SoCs

I actually really like their analysis for technology and performance.

I really like that sort of stuff.

Them using ScriesM's very flawed stance on Switch B/C on the other hand....not so much.

I don't watch their DF Weekly videos shrug.

I agree but they focus way too much on pixel and frame counting. It has a knock on effect of making people obsess over graphics and framerate. I would like them more if they focused more on hardware technology. Like talk about how LCDs, CPUs, GPUs and LEDs are manufactured.

Not the biggest fan of this guy. However here is what he posted today.

Very interesting find. So this definitely could be a case of Nintendo preparing materials in OLED that'll be shared in manufacturing/forward compatible with Dane in the future.

Last edited:
Welp, there it is. Having trouble finding information about the chip online, but some cursory searches suggest it's HDMI 2.0, which is what they need for 4k60.
Although RIP Guarneteed VRR support

EDIT: Unless NVIDIA and Nintendo really want to mess with Freesync/Gsync

Or swap out the chip with the RTD2173 (notice the last number is 1 higher than the one in the new OLED dock), which has HDMI 2.1

Last edited:
Welp, there it is. Having trouble finding information about the chip online, but some cursory searches suggest it's HDMI 2.0, which is what they need for 4k60.
So yeah, the dock being redesigned to prep for Dane seems exceedingly likely.

It looks like the Aula datamine rumours were close to 100% accurate.

Here's what the chip label says:
RTD2172N
KBDE0H3 GL07

This seems to be a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b converter chip, according to information about the RTD2172 (in Chinese).

So basically they future-proofed the dock as it will be shared with the Dane model (as the screen most likely).

This information points to Dane not being a full-blown successor and not that far in time as I see it.

@Alovon11 already mentioned this, but I find it funny that if the last number on the OLED model's DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b converter chip (RTD2172N) is added by 1, it becomes a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 converter chip (RTD2173). It's probably purely coincidental, but I find it funny.

Very interesting find. So this definitely could be a case of Nintendo preparing materials in OLED that'll be shared in manufacturing/forward compatible with Dane in the future.
There is no doubt in my mind that the next switch will look just like the OLED. So yes I think the are prepping for the next switch or iteration. I just don’t know how much longer they can make it without a spec upgrade. I think a new more powerful switch has to be on the market by Q1 23 at the LATEST. I mean it’s the best selling console the last 3 years and there are still major pubs/developers that shun it. Imagine 2023 with these same specs.

According to this Chinese forum post, RTD2172U doesn't support HDR. I don't know if the RTD2172N in the OELD dock is the same.

Edit: RTD2172L supports HDR, judging from this spec sheet. However, this is the only source indicating its HDR support. All other sources of RTD2172L specs do not include HDR support. So I don't know how reliable it is.

Edit 2: @phyl0x found a spec sheet confirming that RTD2172U supports HDR. Since both the U and L versions support HDR, the N most likely does too.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom