• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

You are in denial about this because you want to believe that the Drake is a pro and not an iterative successor like the PS5.
Pot meet kettle black

Let me ask, do people actually think a device with the same levels of performance as the current switch, if they just tacked on DLSS, that it would just be able to do 4K? Because spoiler: it won’t.

And the sooner you people realize this, the better it will be for your mental health.

Well, some of you since most already realized this.
One of my favorite things about this thread is the driveby comments.
Unfortunately, not for me!

Let me ask, do people actually think a device with the same levels of performance as the current switch, if they just tacked on DLSS, that it would just be able to do 4K? Because spoiler: it won’t.
Spoiler: It depends on the game.

99% of Nintendo first party games are already 60fps. Depending on the implementation you could theoretically put RT cores on the current Tegra board and RT Performance mode the 1080p games up to 2160p. 900p games would probably be 1440-1800p.

I don't for a second believe they'd do that though because it's absolutely stupid. Nintendo are going to get a CPU which will be 8-10x better than their current CPU and a GPU at least twice as powerful as the current Switch GPU (even without DLSS) and double the ram all for the same manufacturing cost as the current board mainly because it will be on a much smaller node and Tegra is getting ridiculously out of date.

When you look at Nintendo's first party games it will be interesting to see what on earth they use the CPU improvements for because they already have most of their games at 60fps and I can't see much innovation potential in their sports spin offs. 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin and Mario Kart will probably all benefit the most from it but then again all of those games have to run on the current Switch so who knows. Third parties will certainly enjoy it.

99% of Nintendo first party games are already 60fps. Depending on the implementation you could theoretically put RT cores on the current Tegra board and RT Performance mode the 1080p games up to 2160p. 900p games would probably be 1440-1800p.

I don't for a second believe they'd do that though because it's absolutely stupid. Nintendo are going to get a CPU which will be 8-10x better than their current CPU and a GPU at least twice as powerful as the current Switch GPU (even without DLSS) and double the ram all for the same manufacturing cost as the current board mainly because it will be on a much smaller node and Tegra is getting ridiculously out of date.

When you look at Nintendo's first party games it will be interesting to see what on earth they use the CPU improvements for because they already have most of their games at 60fps and I can't see much innovation potential in their sports spin offs. 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin and Mario Kart will probably all benefit the most from it but then again all of those games have to run on the current Switch so who knows. Third parties will certainly enjoy it.
99%?Are you sure about That?Nintendos put out around 100 games on switch and a pretty good chunk run at 30 and full 1080p is even rarer.

Ok,

Why are we discussing Switch/Pro/2 here?

Do we have a reliable hint that some sort of hardware will be revealed?
This is the future hardware speculation thread. Talking about future Nintendo hardware (hypothetical or otherwise) is sort of the thread's raison d'être.

There is not especially strong evidence towards any particular announcement date, though a lot of things do seem to be pointing towards a late 2022/early 2023 target for release date, so an announcement fairly soon is very plausible.

This is the future hardware speculation thread. Talking about future Nintendo hardware (hypothetical or otherwise) is sort of the thread's raison d'être.

There is not especially strong evidence towards any particular announcement date, though a lot of things do seem to be pointing towards a late 2022/early 2023 target for release date, so an announcement fairly soon is very plausible.
Dude,

I thought I was reading direct discussion... My bad, please ignore my comment.

Ok,

Why are we discussing Switch/Pro/2 here?

Do we have a reliable hint that some sort of hardware will be revealed?
I mean the main reason is because this thread is about future Nintendo hardware.

Hackers attacked Nvidia and leaked a bunch of information online, in that stolen information, was information about the next switch, in particular, it's gpu and software libraries.

Dude,

I thought I was reading direct discussion... Ny bad, please ignore my comment

Would it be weird for store owners to find out about new hardware a couple of weeks before the reveal?
If it's happening, they wouldn't announce it at this time of the year. I'm thinking earliest launch would be alongside BotW2, and if so, there's no way they want to announce hardware this early. Would just lead to people not buying Switches.

I’m gonna put it very blunt, I did read your entire post but I want to tell you that this is wrong. Something that performs at the same level as the current Nintendo switch will not be able to handle doing DLSS 4K at a reasonable FR. There’s a certain performance threshold needed to make DLSS work, it needs a certain amount of information to be able to process it at a reasonable frame rate. And 8 Tensor Cores will not cut it for even 30 frames per second at 4K. If anyone thinks that something that the same level of performance of the current Nintendo switch, when tacked on with a DLSS, will be able to do 4K will be very much disappointed.

And you cannot just put RT cores on the motherboard that the Nswitch TX1 is on and expect it to work fine, that’s just a recipe for disaster.

Also, I’m not even sure what 99% of first party games you are referring to that are 60 frames per second, because that is wrong.

Quoted by: SiG
I’m gonna put it very blunt, I did read your entire post but I want to tell you that this is wrong. Something that performs at the same level as the current Nintendo switch will not be able to handle doing DLSS 4K at a reasonable FR. There’s a certain performance threshold needed to make DLSS work, it needs a certain amount of information to be able to process it at a reasonable frame rate. And 8 Tensor Cores will not cut it for even 30 frames per second at 4K. If anyone thinks that something that the same level of performance of the current Nintendo switch, when tacked on with a DLSS, will be able to do 4K will be very much disappointed.

And you cannot just put RT cores on the motherboard that the Nswitch TX1 is on and expect it to work fine, that’s just a recipe for disaster.

Also, I’m not even sure what 99% of first party games you are referring to that are 60 frames per second, because that is wrong.
So are you suggesting the Nvidia leaks are faked?

If it's happening, they wouldn't announce it at this time of the year. I'm thinking earliest launch would be alongside BotW2, and if so, there's no way they want to announce hardware this early. Would just lead to people not buying Switches.
PS4 Pro announcement: September. Release: November
Xbox One X announcement: June. Release: November
New 3DS annoucement: August: Release October

A Pro announcement in June with a $400+ price tag would only reduce Switch sales from people willing to pay premium cost for a Switch who do not already have one. Those are likely folk who have been, for whatever reason, already waiting for a Pro, anyway. Yes, it might reduce demand from savvy folks buying their kids birthday presents, but those parents will also be salivating for the holiday release, and if demand outstrips production a decent chunk will go to the base model.

A 3 month gap between a Pro announcement and release would, at almost any time of year, result in a net increase in Switch Family of Hardware Sales over the course of a year

This thing has the worst timing. I played both version of the sunbreak demo, it's really good on pc but you know, no cross save, xenoblade 3 is releasing soon after and it's nowhere to be seen.
Microsoft better let the doom eternal patch happen to salvage my emotions

This thing has the worst timing. I played both version of the sunbreak demo, it's really good on pc but you know, no cross save, xenoblade 3 is releasing soon after and it's nowhere to be seen.
Microsoft better let the doom eternal patch happen to salvage my emotions
Nintendo is always releasing/publishing/getting new games that could take advantadge of modern hardware, you could make the same argument last year with Dread, SMT V or NMH3. It will always happen, next year it could be BOTW2 and Prime HD

Only thing we can hope is that most games get patches even if is just for better resolution and framerate

Nintendo is always releasing/publishing/getting new games that could take advantadge of modern hardware, you could make the same argument last year with Dread, SMT V or NMH3. It will always happen, next year it could be BOTW2 and Prime HD

Only thing we can hope is that most games get patches even if is just for better resolution and framerate
It's different, well first outside of dread I don't care for the others (lol) and it being already 60fps with good resolution in handheld was enough that I was not really waiting for a drake version. But now seeing that we're gonna enter the rumoured launch period but barring a big surprise it's gonna be on the later side of it, aka early 2023(imagine if it's not even that), it's really frustrating, close but still far.

PS4 Pro announcement: September. Release: November
Xbox One X announcement: June. Release: November
New 3DS annoucement: August: Release October

A Pro announcement in June with a $400+ price tag would only reduce Switch sales from people willing to pay premium cost for a Switch who do not already have one. Those are likely folk who have been, for whatever reason, already waiting for a Pro, anyway. Yes, it might reduce demand from savvy folks buying their kids birthday presents, but those parents will also be salivating for the holiday release, and if demand outstrips production a decent chunk will go to the base model.

A 3 month gap between a Pro announcement and release would, at almost any time of year, result in a net increase in Switch Family of Hardware Sales over the course of a year
Yeah, but that's my point. If a Pro is to come out alongside Zelda in Spring 2023, they would announce it a few months before (maybe January). As such I don't really see an announcement this soon.

Yeah, but that's my point. If a Pro is to come out alongside Zelda in Spring 2023, they would announce it a few months before (maybe January). As such I don't really see an announcement this soon.
But what if it launches this fall? Again there is literally nothing new to suggest 2022 is off the table compared to where we were a year ago.

It's really not that big a stretch. The Lite and OLED models were both announced in early July, that is not far off from late June at all. With this model they may want to take the opportunity of the shareholder meeting to briefly discuss their strategy with it since it'll be pretty different than the past models. I'm fairly sure they have discussed future strategy at these shareholder meetings in June before.

As for 2022, there's really no reason to think it launching in 2022 is any less likely now than it was a year ago.

I believe that a highly awaited new console poised to replace arguably the most successful console of all times after 5 and a half years and with state of the art technical capabilities is a slightly bigger deal than a cheaper portable and a similar console with a bling bling screen.

Last edited:
I believe that a highly awaited new console poised to replace arguably the most successful console of all times after 5 and a half years and with state of the art technical capabilities is a slightly bigger deal than a cheaper portable and a similar console with a bling bling screen.
I don't quite understand what that has to do with anything. Not to mention you're making several assumptions.

But what if it launches this fall? Again there is literally nothing new to suggest 2022 is off the table compared to where we were a year ago.
It's certainly possible, but I doubt it. Gives them time to produce more units and launching alongside Zelda has historical precedent.

I don't quite understand what that has to do with anything. Not to mention you're making several assumptions.

You're making comparisons with the lite and the OLED, two obvious stop gaps in the switch line. Having a very short marketing cycle for such minor upgrade (or even downgrade for the lite) makes sense.
It does not make much sense for a machine such as the one being discussed here.

Another argument for 2024 is Mario kart, Nintendo's biggest game. MK8 showed the importance of having a Mario Kart on a new console as early as possible; not only does it sell well, but it just doesn't stop selling. Having a Mario Kart within the first 6 months following the release of a new console is smart business to sell as many copies as possible, I don't think that anyone would deny that.

We also know that the next Mario Kart is 2024 at the earliest, considering the release schedule of the DLC for MK8. With that in mind, I could see the next switch releasing around October 2024, accompanied by a brand new Mario Kart which would top the charts until 2030, and longer with possible DLCs.

But having a new console releasing this year or the next, and no new Mario kart for 1 or 2 years, is in my opinion unlikely.

Last edited:
PS5 wasn’t shown until like March of 2020 lol

Series X wasn’t shown until December 2019

Series S wasn’t shown until 2 months before it released.

Yeah the project was talked about prior, but that’s because the consoles were old as shit. People were talking about the PS5 and XBox Next since like 2017. Before the companies actually talked about it being on the horizon.

Projects are talked about all the time.

future consoles are talked about all the time.

People were speculating about the PS5 being a 13 TF machine in like 2018 and a CPU that ran at over 4GHz

And people also tried to temper expectations there because they expected laptops for the console again.

Relativity and all that.

There's no evidence to suggest 2022 is possible. Team 2024
Not that I think 2022 is likely and this is just another drive by comment but, where is your evidence that it's not possible?

(this one is now my third favourite recurring discussion...thankfully the BC one has stopped coming up...the storage format one is like the only one that doesn't bug me...anyway)

The thing will launch when it’s ready.
Pretty much.

Between suppliers needing to keep with demand, chip shortages, and inflation, it’s really tough to pin down a suitable date for announcement/launch, much less Nintendo’s own internal plans with how to handle it.

You're making comparisons with the lite and the OLED, two obvious stop gaps in the switch line. Having a very short marketing cycle for such minor upgrade (or even downgrade for the lite) makes sense.
It does not make much sense for a machine such as the one being discussed here.

The only statements we have from people that know about these dev kits (Nate, Mochizuki, Imran, others I might be forgetting) are that it's for 4K Switch titles, and that it's still another "Switch" model. These details are almost certainly from their (likely independent) sources - ie. how these developers were using the hardware, and how they saw the hardware in 2021. If we assume all the above is true, they don't need ages to market the device. They may not need or care if the entire audience shifts over to the new device in any especially timely fashion, as Nintendo's own line up, as well as much (or all) of the early 3rd party line up will support the entire family of devices.

Nate did mention he knows of 3rd party titles exclusive to this device within the Switch family, but we don't know the timeframe. The existence of these limited exclusives does not preclude a short marketing cycle as well. The New Nintendo 3DS released with a 2 (?) month gap between announcement and release, and the "New" line of products ended up completely replacing the 3DS line in the long run.

The nature of this thread is bunch hardware enthusiasts discussing what's feasible - plenty of it admittedly way over my head - and often tailoring the discussion based on reputable rumours (see Nate, Bloomberg) or legitimate leaks (Nvidia NVN2). I can respect that the details in the NVN2 leak indicate a very powerful device, but I think the sensible approach to things would be to reconcile this detail with the other reputable rumours we have, not just ignore the rumours entirely.

There's no evidence to suggest 2022 is possible. Team 2024

There's at least some insider comments and reports that point to late 2022 to early 2023. As far as I recall, there's zero evidence to suggest 2024. The only times I've seen that thrown out are some analysts and complete guesswork from folks like Grubb who admitted he had zero insight at this stage and is assuming we aren't getting any sort of revision. His last finger-in-the-air pitch was that we'd get an OLED Lite this year as a response to Furukawa's non-denial of new hardware, something Nate's at least implied he didn't agree with.

Last edited:
There's at least some insider comments and reports that point to late 2022 to early 2023. As far as I recall, there's zero evidence to suggest 2024. The only times I've seen that thrown out are some analysts and complete guesswork from folks like Grubb who admitted he had zero insight at this stage and is assuming we aren't getting any sort of revision. His last finger-in-the-air pitch was that we'd get an OLED Lite this year as a response to Furukawa's non-denial of new hardware, something Nate's at least implied he didn't agree with.

Nate is the only person as far as I know that had an actual time frame for whenever this device was suppose to release(EOY 202/Early 2023), no else said anything or at least collaborated which is why I don't think people should focus in on that time frame unless others start saying the same as well. Definitely a handful have mentioned dev kits are out in the wild, which I think most agree is likely. For 2022 successor console I would assume we would got a hella lot more smoke by now for it rather than a slim/lite, Pro model.

Just my 2 cent, and I think waiting after early 2024 is too long as developing for old hardware as the Switch is suffering at that point.

Nate is the only person as far as I know that had an actual time frame for whenever this device was suppose to release(EOY 202/Early 2023), no else said anything or at least collaborated which is why I don't think people should focus in on that time frame unless others start saying the same as well. Definitely a handful have mentioned dev kits are out in the wild, which I think most agree is likely. For 2022 successor console I would assume we would got a hella lot more smoke by now for it rather than a slim/lite, Pro model.

Just my 2 cents.
Bloomberg also mentioned that devs were under the impression it would release in late 2022 at the earliest.

Just my 2 cents.

Bloomberg reported that 11 independent developers were targeting their games being ready by end of 2022 or early 2023.

That’s far more of an indicator than even Nate’s comments.

Bloomberg also mentioned that devs were under the impression it would release in late 2022 at the earliest.
Bloomberg reported that 11 independent developers were targeting their games being ready by end of 2022 or early 2023.

That’s far more of an indicator than even Nate’s comments.
I stand correct on that part at least. I still don't believe it'll come this year but probably towards the end of this year we'll hear more about it via rumors or whatever, especially if it releases by 2023 EOY at the latest.

What I can share, from rumors around the deep web (that is not my source)is that the Switch 2 could be coming out in September alongside Splatoon 3 and big NSO stuff.
I'mma take a bet and say it won't be Switch 2 but a special edition of OLED Switch for Splatoon 3. Probably will get a special edition Switch Lite for Pokemon SV.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom