• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I did. It’s interesting but not definitive. This analysis is muddied by the fact that there are various supply chain issues so many, many different companies have been stockpiling (higher safety stock) components in inventory to avoid/limit production shortfalls. So it could be either.

I’m more drawn to the Company’s forecast of 21m units. We know that they lowball the software guidance but not the hardware guidance.

Given that unit sales are down in most regions in the June quarter, it implies a much bigger second half of the fiscal year. It’s plausible to me they are planning some additional hardware for either the holiday season or March quarter. But it might be minor by our standards.
Let the Youtube videos begin folks. March'23 launch confirmed ;)

Following hardware speculation for forever but most excited to know we have kinship with a fellow Nintendo-enthusiast forum in China

Let the madness and hype for new info spill across international waters and languages! Huzzah!

Why would the office building affect who owns their raw materials/where they're located? Unless you're suggesting they're including the actual construction materials which would be weird.

They are using Switch 2 raw materials for constructing the new building…

🤪🤪🤪

It if launches 1 second early or late... you will be condemned to eternal damnation.

That’s funny because:

1. I don’t know anything about the new hardware.

2. I keep trying to explain that my best guess as to why we are seeing a step up in inventory is likely due to a seasonal change in production in reaction to supply chain issues, and not a ramp up in a new SKU.

So yea - we are the same 😂

Is the hopium coming purely from the stockpiling parts analysis? Or is there other rumors/whispers out there?
There have been some whispers from a couple different chinese forums and some vague talk from a Japanese retail buyer.

Nothing yet from any major publications though.

That’s funny because:

2. I keep trying to explain that my best guess as to why we are seeing a step up in inventory is likely due to a seasonal change in production in reaction to supply chain issues, and not a ramp up in a new SKU.
6l1zzx.jpg

That’s funny because:

So yea - we are the same 😂
You did this. You know there are sharks here on this site.

They are using Switch 2 raw materials for constructing the new building…

🤪🤪🤪

I wish we could be so flippant.

Just had a LAN emulation party over the weekend. Thought we'd fly under the radar. But we were crashed by Nintendo Ninjas.

We managed to catch one. They aren't even human. They're Robot Ninjas.

Nintendo is not stockpiling for new hardware. They are building a robot ninja army to end emulation once and for all.

Hide your Raspberry Pi's. The darkness comes.

Why would the office building affect who owns their raw materials/where they're located? Unless you're suggesting they're including the actual construction materials which would be weird.

Haha, yeah that is what I was suggesting, that some % of construction materials are showing up on Nintendo's BS, but agree that it would be strange. But this is the highest RM level by a long shot in that 10 year snapshot so who knows.

It's only partially a joke that there's a distinct possibility that somehow through the game of telephone, it'll get attributed to 'famous leaker Nathan Drake'.
While citing a screenshot displaying completely unrelated text.

I once “leaked” updated shipment data on two games, and it got picked up on Nintendo Age + OJ/ Player Essence on YouTube.

So I’m all for this “production ramp leak” being attributed to @NateDrake You're welcome! All I want in return is a royalty check 😏

I've learned a lot from hanging around here, including from your posts. I have a technical background, but in a totally different field. It's awesome that we can have an ongoing conversation.

It definitely doesn't. I realize I was a little unclear here. What I was getting at was the tradeoff between tensor cores and shader cores. On games where DLSS is NOT useful, how much better would those games look/run if Nintendo had replaced the tensor cores with just more raw shader cores?

It's a really hard question to answer, but probably not much? The GTX 1650 attempted to do just that, relative to the 1660, and doesn't seem to have managed to squeeze any extra performance out relative to its die size/power draw. Someone here might have a better answer. But think of it this way. There are roughly three classes of games
  1. Games that aren't going to have a problem reaching "max" resolution using just shader cores. Anything pure pixel art, for example.
  2. Games that benefit from DLSS. Imagine a game running a comfortable 1080p60fps on the core hardware, that can get down to 720p90fps, leaving them ample time in their framebudget to DLSS up to 1440p60fps, and still look good.
  3. Games that push the hardware, but can't create the room in their framebudget for DLSS without looking bad. These are the games that, in theory, would benefit from dropping Tensor Cores and replacing that with more shader cores or higher clocks.
Group 3 needs a really weird performance profile. If a game runs like a powerpoint at the target res, then they'd need huge amounts of extra shader perf, and sacrificing tensor cores probably won't get you there. If the game runs, say, at a stable 30fps at 1080p, then you probably can get to 720p60fps with enough room in the frame budget for DLSS to get you back up to 1080p60fps.

The place where you really want to toss Tensor Cores for Shader Cores is something like a game running 55fps at your target res. You're close enough that a little bit of extra GPU perf is going to push you over the finish line, but DLSS might be a noticable IQ drop for a tiny boost in performance, and would rather just hand tune themselves back up to 60fps. I think the number of games in that bucket is going to be small, and regardless, the sacrifices those games will have to make will also not be dramatic.
tensor cores are way too small to add any significant amount of shader cores to make a difference. you'd might add 1, maybe 2, SMs worth of shader cores. and that effectively doesn't show up in benchmarks

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
XENOBLADE 3 CONFIRMED FOR DRAKE

I know that lol. It’s just for him to keep being reassured as we get closer and closer is great.
The thing to note is that he wasn’t given an update from wherever he got those dates from so he can’t really say much just that that was the time frame from what he was original told.

Grubb talked about the successor being 2024 beyond recently and while I think he said it was more speculation before he seems adamant that’s the case.
Ultimately it's speculation, and, based on what others have said, it sounds like it's primarily coming from how much the Switch is selling coupled with the future lineup. He could certainly be right, but I'm not sure it's worth throwing everything else out until he had inside information to corroborate.

Grubb talked about the successor being 2024 beyond recently and while I think he said it was more speculation before he seems adamant that’s the case.
He's confident, but the reasoning given doesn't really make sense. He seems to be operating under the assumption that hardware release dates are as fluid as software one, which is really not how that works.

He's confident, but the reasoning given doesn't really make sense. He seems to be operating under the assumption that hardware release dates are as fluid as software one, which is really not how that works.
Where does he say this? I don’t follow Grubb directly but this gets bandied around a lot

Where does he say this? I don’t follow Grubb directly but this gets bandied around a lot
IIRC, Grubb generally goes with the "it's still selling too good, so they'll hold off" school of thought, which doesn't really make sense for the aforementioned reasons. I don't really follow him directly though, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I seen people say it was in the latest show today. but it was also in his previous shows, so it's not a new thing
I don't know about his recent shows, but it seems that the whole talking point started here:

Jeff is a good reporter, but his acumen as a product manager is questionable.

I seen people say it was in the latest show today. but it was also in his previous shows, so it's not a new thing
Not in the part of the show that I have watched (I wasn't really paying that much attention, so who knows). But thanks, I'll wait to see if someone cuts the part with this

So when they say "Not next generation" The new console won't be a generational leap?
Probably talking about in terms of how Nintendo markets the new hardware initially, I think.

The illegal Nvidia leaks does imply the new hardware seems like a generational leap in terms of performance capabilities.

They mean, that it will be a more powerful version within the same console generation - like the PS4 Pro to the PS4.

Still, rumors say that it still could have exclusives - then it would act as a generational leap console
It makes me wonder if its a midstep n not drake itself which would come later, or if they just mean in sense of marketing

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom