• Hey Guest! As we are sure you are aware, Russia has invaded Ukraine. Check out our pinned thread in the Roost for resources on how to support Ukraine in their ongoing crisis. Let's show our solidarity with the Ukrainian people!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation and Discussion |ST| Nate Drake, is this a new thread or a revision of the previous thread?

Polygon

Shriekbat
Pronouns
Him
I mean yeah, OLED Model launched at over 400$ in Europe. Since when was anything less than 399.99$ ever reasonable to expect when OLED Model is 349.99$?

I'd say 449.99$ would be the absolute minimum launch price of the next Switch unless OLED falls to 299.99 to fit a 399.99 Drake model into the lineup cleanly. This could mean the discontinuation of the V2 (speculated for some time.) This would explain the OLED Model's relatively tame advertising before launch. OLED Model is what V2 was meant to be, internally it's been price optimised to hell and back, with smaller circuit boards, smaller chips, smaller cooling system, lots of empty space. V2 by comparison is incredibly inefficiently designed with an oversized cooling system and support circuitry the Mariko doesn't need because the V2 just got it dropped in hot off the press with no optimisations. The actual "S" model (comparable to Xbox One S, or Xbox 360 S) of this generation is the OLED Model. The only difference from usual is that this redesign became more expensive, but that's not entirely unusual, the PSP Go was a cost reduced product sold at a "premium" price. It would also hugely simplify production going into a new model. Four forms of the "same" machine on sale at the same time is just unlikely and inefficient. By replacing V2 with the OLED in the market, it allows more flexibility with Drake pricing, could mean if Drake uses the same adaptor, dock and cables, they could even simplify production with only one kind of HDMI cable, one kind of dock, and one kind of adaptor being shipped, along with internal optimisations (OLED and Drake sharing the same hinge design, Joy-Con rails, possibly battery, then OLED and Lite using the same cooling assembly.)
My OLED was £320 from Amazon UK.

Concernt

Tektite
Pronouns
She/Her
My OLED was £320 from Amazon UK.
When I say "Europe", I mean Europe, as in either the peninsula of Eurasia, or the economic and political union of Europe (The EEA and EU respectively), the UK being in neither place, and when I talk prices IN EUROPE, I think, at least, I would HOPE, that I can safely assume one realises I am talking about the EUROPEAN currency, the EURO, which as far as I'm aware the UK fought very hard in 1980, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2007 and 2016 NOT to partake in.

Even then... £320 (Pounds Sterling) was over $400 (American Dollar/USD) at the launch of the OLED Model. It was €365 MSRP in the Eurozone, which, to reiterate, if someone is talking "European prices", you can usually safely assume they mean the price in Euros, the clue being in the name, and 365 European Euros in October of 2021 was indeed in excess of 400 US Dollars.

Moreover Nintendo UK sets MSRP for both GBP and Euro sales (In the Republic of Ireland). £320 or €365 in October 2021 were pretty much the same price, give or take VAT but ROI and UK have if not synchronised, then at least, similar VAT rates.

The point stands, Nintendo has already positioned a Switch no more powerful than the original ABOVE $400(USD) in some markets, including the world's largest by total spending power (EEA), so a new more powerful one would certainly go above and beyond that unless they restructure pricing.

Mr Swine

Boo
Pronouns
He
I really hope Nintendo doesn’t ignore what happened with the Switch on the 20nm node when designing Drake.

I really don’t want to see multiple profiles which Nintendo slowly rolls out during its lifespan just because off a “crap” node

Kevin

Moblin
Don't want to be a downer but it's really looking like China is going to invade Taiwan very soon:

Not sure how this will play out but this will cripple tech imports for years if not decades if China really does invade. This really sucks and it's making me have a hard time getting excited for a potential Switch 2 when people may not even be able to buy old consoles soon. :confused:

IamPeacock

Rattata
Pronouns
Him / His
Don't want to be a downer but it's really looking like China is going to invade Taiwan very soon:

Not sure how this will play out but this will cripple tech imports for years if not decades if China really does invade. This really sucks and it's making me have a hard time getting excited for a potential Switch 2 when people may not even be able to buy old consoles soon. :confused:

There won't be an invasion... For now that is.
There's too much at stake for China if they invade Taiwan. Their economy is still struggling because of covid.

But I also believe it will happen one day. And things will get very ugly then.

Stinky Horse

Piranha Plant
When I say "Europe", I mean Europe, as in either the peninsula of Eurasia, or the economic and political union of Europe (The EEA and EU respectively), the UK being in neither place, and when I talk prices IN EUROPE, I think, at least, I would HOPE, that I can safely assume one realises I am talking about the EUROPEAN currency, the EURO, which as far as I'm aware the UK fought very hard in 1980, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2007 and 2016 NOT to partake in.

Even then... £320 (Pounds Sterling) was over $400 (American Dollar/USD) at the launch of the OLED Model. It was €365 MSRP in the Eurozone, which, to reiterate, if someone is talking "European prices", you can usually safely assume they mean the price in Euros, the clue being in the name, and 365 European Euros in October of 2021 was indeed in excess of 400 US Dollars.

Moreover Nintendo UK sets MSRP for both GBP and Euro sales (In the Republic of Ireland). £320 or €365 in October 2021 were pretty much the same price, give or take VAT but ROI and UK have if not synchronised, then at least, similar VAT rates.

The point stands, Nintendo has already positioned a Switch no more powerful than the original ABOVE $400(USD) in some markets, including the world's largest by total spending power (EEA), so a new more powerful one would certainly go above and beyond that unless they restructure pricing.
They have not officially set an RRP in the EU/UK for years due to them being fined by the EU for price fixing 2 decades ago, it's why all their global retail announcements avoid mentioning European prices.

Concernt

Tektite
Pronouns
She/Her
They have not officially set an RRP in the EU/UK for years due to them being fined by the EU for price fixing 2 decades ago, it's why all their global retail announcements avoid mentioning European prices.
As someone who lives in the Eurozone. That's untrue.

As much as they may seem to avoid "publishing" it, as someone who has actually been involved in purchasing Nintendo products for an organisation, it is patently untrue that they do not set a recommended price. They do. And retailers observe it almost to a fault with the only exception I've personally had the pleasure of happening across being Amazon France.

Furthermore, Nintendo came out outright last year to announce the reduction in MSRP of the Nintendo Switch (V2), so no, they don't even not announce it. They avoid specifics, yes, but that's because even the European Union (much to the shagrin of itself and myself and my home country) has more than one currency at different exchange rates.

The point remains: the price of Nintendo Switch OLED Model in Europe and the UK was above 400 USD equivalent. Therefore the next device being anything LESS than that without the OLED Model being repositioned in the market seems absurd.

fwd-bwd

Boo
Founder
TIL :) Another fun fact: the Norwegian equivalent to donuts is literally called "lard rings"
Came for hardware news; left with hunger for Norwegian fried dough 🤤. There are a couple Scandinavian restaurants in my city, and I'll see if they have this.

Tabletop mode is probably one of the more underrated switch features.

How can that be improved if at all?🤔
A much bigger display. Everything else is secondary. Back when a mini-LED panel was rumored, I wrote a post hypothesizing the business case for an iPad sized Switch; it's probably too niche for Nintendo though. Since I'm traveling more this year, I decided to build my own Switch XL travel kit:

gHDzga6.png

Start with a minimalist 13" laptop bag that can easily fit into a carry-on luggage.

3KRkVOf.png

On the right (in the padded sleeve):
13.3" OLED portable monitor (e.g., this or this)​
On the left (top to bottom):
Combo Bluetooth transmitter and earbuds case (e.g., this or this; you don't really need it if you can tolerate Switch's laggy Bluetooth audio)​
Low profile gamepad for flat packing (e.g., this or this; you need a hard case to prevent accidental button pressing from wasting battery)​
USB-C PD power bank (60W should be enough)​
Switch console in a mesh pocket (so that the vents are not blocked)​
Cables:
Audio to USB-C cable (Switch headphone jack to Bluetooth transmitter)​
USB-C charging cable (power bank to monitor)​
USB-C 3.1 or better cable (monitor to Switch)​

tkFVnRt.png

Take out the controller and earbuds, prop up the monitor inside the laptop bag, and it's ready to play! Easy to set up and pack up on a plane or in a hotel. No messy wires and completely self-contained.

Top Bottom