• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

"2 Early"
That was Mochizuki yesterday evening. Serkan tweeted "2022, summer of Pro" or something like that, and then instantly deleted it, on Tuesday at the height of the buzz. And then he replied to Mochi's "2 early" tweet with the standard eyes emoji.

Just saying this all out loud like it's evidence of anything feels ridiculous. Because it is!

Edit: The tweet was "Summer 2022, Pro time indeed."

Last edited:
Lot of deleted posts..... In our friends thread.....

Does anyone think they can dig a little towards the source to this one with knowledge of who what uncles are and where?(I can't remember lol)

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

...to which one of those things?
There was no claim of a "Pro" in 2019 (the "targeted at avid gamers" model was clarified within a month of the original report and specifically stated not to be more powerful), and what you cited for 2020 is the simply the first time Mochizuki reported on the 4K-capable model which he believed was launching in 2021. So again, 2021 is the only year he ever claimed a "Pro" was happening.

Comprehensive list/summary of Takahashi Mochizuki's reporting on Nintendo's new hardware
Here are some of his articles with explicit mentions of new models of the Switch, along with (what I think are) relevant quotes.

October 4, 2018 - Nintendo Plans New Version of Switch Next Year
Nintendo Co. plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.
March 25, 2019 - Nintendo to Launch Two New Switch Models
One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers, although it won’t be as powerful as Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4 Pro or Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox One X, according to parts suppliers and software developers for Nintendo who have access to a prototype of the machine. The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device, the suppliers and developers say.
June 12, 2019 - Nintendo Moves Some Switch Production Out of China, Adapting to Tariff Threat
The Wall Street Journal reported in March that Nintendo planned to update the Switch this year with two new models. One is set to look similar to the current model with beefed-up components, while the other is expected to be a less-expensive model with a new look.
August 24, 2020 - Nintendo Plans Upgraded Switch Console and Major Games for 2021
Nintendo Co. plans to debut an upgraded model of its Switch console next year along with a lineup of new games, people familiar with the matter said, ceding 2020’s holiday spotlight to rival devices from Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp.
March 3, 2021 - Nintendo Plans Switch Model With Bigger Samsung OLED Display
Nintendo decided to go with rigid OLED panels for the new model, the people said, a cheaper but less flexible alternative to the type commonly used for high-end smartphones. The latest model will also come with 4K ultra-high definition graphics when paired with TVs, they said. That could intensify a longstanding complaint of developers, who have struggled with the difference in resolution between handheld and TV modes and now face a bigger gap between the two.
March 23, 2021 - Nintendo to Use Faster Nvidia Chips in New 2021 Switch Model
The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.
May 26, 2021 - Nintendo Plans Upgraded Switch Replacement as Soon as September
The Switch maker’s response will be to upgrade its flagship console with a 7-inch Samsung Display Co. OLED display and faster Nvidia Corp. graphics silicon making it capable of 4K output when docked to a TV, Bloomberg News previously reported.
September 29, 2021 - Developers Are Making Games for a Nintendo 4K Console That Doesn’t Exist
Employees at 11 game companies said their teams were in possession of Nintendo’s 4K development kit for the Switch. The companies span the globe, ranging from large publishers to small studios and include at least one that has never made a console game before, Zynga Inc., according to the employees, who asked not to be identified because they weren’t authorized to discuss their projects publicly.

I think the takeaway here is that the 2019/Mariko Switch was mostly reported on accurately, with the upgraded components technically being true, albeit not utilized at all apart from battery savings. Lite was also practically spot on. It's the 2021/OLED model where information on OLED and what we know of Drake were conflated.

the info I mention above is not speculative, it is evidence, that is if the next revision of Switch goes in as an upgrade from HEG-001. for them to jump from HAC to HEG is a significant leap. There are reports that Q1(April/May/June) 2022-2023 sales are 30% below projection, and Nintendo told Nikkei that they have supply problem, but at the shareholder meeting they closed with raw material inventories over 66 billion yen as of March 31. If they are not parts for the current Switch, then what are they? Or they no longer want to manufacture so many of the current model, reserving those parts for another model, or those raw materials are actually servers that are not yet in production, there is data that they want to implement cloud computing support. In any case, accounting-wise, everything will be clearer until the end of the fiscal year.
This is just standard Nintendo model number stuff. Every single named revision gets its own 3 letter prefix. Switch is HAC, Switch Lite is HDH, and Switch OLED is HEG. The red box Switch was not a named revision, so it kept HAC (though slapping on a "(-01)" instead of bumping the number to 101 is atypical).

You'll see the same pattern throughout basically Nintendo's entire history as a video game platform holder. For example, the GBA was AGB-001, the GBA SP was AGS-001, and the Game Boy Micro was OXY-001, but the later GBA SPs with the improved backlight were just AGS-101.

Here are some of his articles with explicit mentions of new models of the Switch, along with (what I think are) relevant quotes.

June 12, 2019 - Nintendo Moves Some Switch Production Out of China, Adapting to Tariff Threat

August 24, 2020 - Nintendo Plans Upgraded Switch Console and Major Games for 2021

September 29, 2021 - Developers Are Making Games for a Nintendo 4K Console That Doesn’t Exist

I think the takeaway here is that the 2019/Mariko Switch was mostly reported on accurately, with the upgraded components technically being true, albeit not utilized at all apart from battery savings. Lite was also practically spot on. It's the 2021/OLED model where information on OLED and what we know of Drake were conflated.
Thanks. I found the article I was thinking of with the clarification on the V2 (Nintendo's Big Rally on China Prospects Hasn't Scared Off Shorts from Bloomberg, April 23 2019), but now realize I was misremembering and Mochizuki isn't in the byline for this one. Debby Wu is however, and she also co-authored the 2021 reports. But still, this one is explicit: "The existing Switch will receive a modest upgrade this year, though a more powerful version is not in the works."

True, Mariko.

Suppliers correctly recognized the new XB1+ SOC was different from the original.

True, Mariko. Suppliers correctly recognized the new XB1+ SOC was different from the original.

Mariko at the same power draw as original x1 is a 25-30% performance increase.

The casual low powered system was the new game and watch hardware.

True, Mariko. Suppliers correctly recognized the new XB1+ SOC was different from the original.

True OLED model, released 10/2021.

This is where they ran into some trouble. Sourced mixed in the OLED model with Drake. Factual product/component information is correct, interpretation of said facts conflated 2 different things. I will probably be repeating this a bit cause I'm lazy lol.

Sourced mixed in the OLED model with Drake. Factual product/component information is correct, interpretation of said facts conflated 2 different things.

It was actually October.

Nailed switch OLED.

Conflated information from Drake. Which I will point out has been outright confirmed by the Nvidia leak.

We know for a fact this is Drake.

This is the general consensus of this forum, and though it's redundant to say it now myself as well.

It's a very very very different situation than what was claimed, thanks for going out of your on this though. I was definitely too lazy to do it.

Tests of a new "Switch Oled" model?

at the FCC:
2016 Swtich V1 reviewed under HAC-001
2019 Switch V2 reviewed under HAC-001
i.e. information was updated with a SoC and Memory upgrade letter therefore CPU Mainboard change.

at NCC (Taiwan):
2021: Switch Oled for development was revised HEG-002.
Why not in the FCC? because in the FCC the user manual is uploaded with the DEVKIT specifications. Therefore so far it is kept secret.

At the FCC:
2021 Switch Oled was reviewed under HEG-001.

Already on January 10, 2022 the internal and external photos were to be published. But if you check they are not enabled, why? maybe they issued a confidentiality letter for 180 days not to be published giving them a modified version of Switch Oled to certify, if it was immediately on July 13 it will be one year since the Switch Oled was reviewed at the FCC so they should announce something before that date, or automatically will be visible the letter of modification of the original model with the details.

Analyzing the HEG codename for the Oled
H=Hybrid
E=EL oled in Japanese
G=??? perhaps a reference to "Gameloop".
Thank you very much for the research. It's always great to get original content in this thread. I don't fully understand what you're saying though. It seems to me that the "short term confidentiality" was applicable from 7/13/2021 to 1/9/2022. The HEG-001 photos and manual have been viewable on the FCC website since 1/10/2022. Would you care to clarify?

This is just standard Nintendo model number stuff. Every single named revision gets its own 3 letter prefix. Switch is HAC, Switch Lite is HDH, and Switch OLED is HEG. The red box Switch was not a named revision, so it kept HAC (though slapping on a "(-01)" instead of bumping the number to 101 is atypical).

You'll see the same pattern throughout basically Nintendo's entire history as a video game platform holder. For example, the GBA was AGB-001, the GBA SP was AGS-001, and the Game Boy Micro was OXY-001, but the later GBA SPs with the improved backlight were just AGS-101.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
What I am trying to say is that by using the same HEG suffix it is easier to send to the FCC a modification of the Switch without raising alarms, otherwise they would have to create a registration of a new suffix and this would be for a device with a totally different external shape, i.e. with another type of housing, as is the case of HAC, HDH and HEG.

BFG er BFS 9000. Come get some @Raccoon !

Thank you very much for the research. It's always great to get original content in this thread. I don't fully understand what you're saying though. It seems to me that the "short term confidentiality" was applicable from 7/13/2021 to 1/9/2022. The HEG-001 photos and manual have been viewable on the FCC website since 1/10/2022. Would you care to clarify?

Last edited:
You can’t take everything serious. Like someone said about screens it’d probably would’ve been known already
Why do you assume that the 8 inch screen would leak? Forget this thing, we were lucky for the OLED and shortly before announcement for the OG Switch.

iPhone screens for example only "leak" because they dont change frequently...

What I am trying to say is that by using the same HEG suffix it is easier to send to the FCC a modification of the Switch without raising alarms, otherwise they would have to create a registration of a new suffix and this would be for a device with a totally different external shape, i.e. with another type of housing, as is the case of HAC, HDH and HEG.
I don't think the prefixes mean anything to the FCC. It's just an internal Nintendo convention.

Right, that's what I'm trying to say. The overall invention has a much more general use case than off-brand DLSS which is reflected by how they used it for Sunshine.
I guess, but in that case they had no purpose of detailing how or what use it would have and describing a real time upscaler that uses machine learning and runs on a neural net work that they build in house.

In fact, it even goes as far as to describe, without actually saying, the use of a temporal solution in which they use multiple frames with their own history data to produce the final image.

Hell, even Sony had filed a patent for something that is similar to this which has been described as also being similar to DLSS: https://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2020148810A1.html

I can’t find the nvidia patent for DLSS unfortunately to read it.

Does anyone think they can dig a little towards the source to this one with knowledge of who what uncles are and where?(I can't remember lol)

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

I guess, but in that case they had no purpose of detailing how or what use it would have and describing a real time upscaler that uses machine learning and runs on a neural net work that they build in house.

In fact, it even goes as far as to describe, without actually saying, the use of a temporal solution in which they use multiple frames with their own history data to produce the final image.

Hell, even Sony had filed a patent for something that is similar to this which has been described as also being similar to DLSS: https://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2020148810A1.html

I can’t find the nvidia patent for DLSS unfortunately to read it.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

A lot of his posts were self deleted.... So... I can't.

True, Mariko.

Suppliers correctly recognized the new XB1+ SOC was different from the original.

True OLED model, released 10/2021.

This is where they ran into some trouble. Sourced mixed in the OLED model with Drake. Factual product/component information is correct, interpretation of said facts conflated 2 different things. I will probably be repeating this a bit cause I'm lazy lol.

Sourced mixed in the OLED model with Drake. Factual product/component information is correct, interpretation of said facts conflated 2 different things.

It was actually October.

Nailed switch OLED.

Conflated information from Drake. Which I will point out has been outright confirmed by the Nvidia leak.

We know for a fact this is Drake.

This is the general consensus of this forum, and though it's redundant to say it now myself as well.

It's a very very very different situation than what was claimed, thanks for going out of your on this though. I was definitely too lazy to do it.
The casual system in 2019 was the Lite, not the Game and Watch.

I think it's disingenuous if people don't accept that the March 25 and June 12 2019 reports read exactly like a Pro model of some description is arriving. I don't see what other way you can read those extracts there. The fact that it ended up being Mariko, which is technically more performant (but not practically in terms of game performance) is irrelevant to how people understood those reports at the time.

So when people say "there was never a Pro rumored in 2019", that's just wrong.

Rumors pointed RDR and « personnally » we will get RDR2
On another side all the RE

I’d have liked the first RDR but it sounds like that remaster was canned/shelved for now.

Having all the RE’s would be a great get for the new Switch, personally hoping for more Western support (Mass Effect, Tomb Raider’s, that kind of thing)

Is this a reference to a Chinese forum post that was quoted in this thread? Or am I dreaming that up?
Hard to know for sure what Mochizuki was referring to. If it's about Drake Switch it's likely due to all the buzz about the rumor of it being announced this year, and it could be read in two different ways (too early for switch 2/switch 2 coming early).

The casual system in 2019 was the Lite, not the Game and Watch.
Maybe. It's certainly possible, though I don't personally think so. My gut says it's another mixup based on most logical assumption, with another system coming up soon.

Lite has the same exact Mariko SOC as v2, capable of 25-30% superior performance over the original switch, it's why it still gets a couple more hours battery life despite having a smaller battery. There would have been zero difference to them looking at components like the soc, which they logically prioritize, from the parts suppliers, which is where they tend to get their upcoming information from. Game and watch has a cortex STM32 while less powerful than the switch is an incredible understatement, its overpowered for a little box that plays an NES game, and has a clock, and whatever else it does. A goofy very Nintendo esque utility I don't think anyone could have seen coming by looking at boxes of parts being shipped and kibitzing about it.

Definitely seems to fit the bill for a casual handheld reminiscent of Nintendo's legacy portables, maybe something like a gba classic, better than calling the soc that is 25-30% more powerful than the handheld that was currently playing doom 2016 and Witcher iii the casual model.

But that's just my interpretation.

I can't view the attached image in post #6737; it's only available to registered users. One has to have an invite code, or pay a fee using Alipay to register; I have neither. Does anyone have access to that image?

I’d have liked the first RDR but it sounds like that remaster was canned/shelved for now.

Having all the RE’s would be a great get for the new Switch, personally hoping for more Western support (Mass Effect, Tomb Raider’s, that kind of thing)
Nothing is written on the stone my friend..

I can't view the attached image in post #6737; it's only available to registered users. One has to have an invite code, or pay a fee using Alipay to register; I have neither. Does anyone have access to that image?

I tried signing up, but it said I had to buy a ticket, and then when I tried to do that, it told me no.

full

I think it's disingenuous if people don't accept that the March 25 and June 12 2019 reports read exactly like a Pro model of some description is arriving. I don't see what other way you can read those extracts there. The fact that it ended up being Mariko, which is technically more performant (but not practically in terms of game performance) is irrelevant to how people understood those reports at the time.

Those excerpts have a misleading implication, possibly Mochizuki's own misinterpretation of what the newly fabbed TX1+ was intended to do, but he didn't make any specific claims that ended up being wrong. "This model has a new Nvidia SoC that uses DLSS for 4K graphics" is a specific claim, and people are trying to act like that's just the same as things he incorrectly reported in 2019 and 2020, which is untrue. It's fine to note times he's made mistakes and take that under consideration, but it's completely wrong to come up with this narrative that he's just saying the same thing about a more powerful model every year until it eventually happens.

Mariko is exactly more performant in game performance. By 25-30%.

It can and does solve a LOT of gpu/cpu performance issues making for play with stable frame rates remaining on the upper bounds of dynamic resolution. If you have a hard modded Mariko switch (PSA the team xecutor dude who cracked this one, got gat, by the ninteninjas)

He accurately stated exactly what it was, based on the specifications for what its normal operational range of use was. That Nintendo decided to instead underpower it to use it for more battery life, rather than a smoother higher res switch experience, is not something that can be predicted looking at a part.

While one could interpret the Mariko SoC as either a performance or battery life model, when Mochi is reporting on 11 developers / studios having 4K capable devkits for new Nintendo hardware, I don't think there's much room for interpretation.

Those excerpts have a misleading implication, possibly Mochizuki's own misinterpretation of what the newly fabbed TX1+ was intended to do, but he didn't make any specific claims that ended up being wrong. "This model has a new Nvidia SoC that uses DLSS for 4K graphics" is a specific claim, and people are trying to act like that's just the same as things he incorrectly reported in 2019 and 2020, which is untrue. It's fine to note times he's made mistakes and take that under consideration, but it's completely wrong to come up with this narrative that he's just saying the same thing about a more powerful model every year until it eventually happens.
Totally agree with you that this is different, and I totally believe the Drake switch is a real thing.

But I also think it's nonsense to act like more casual games news followers are wrong when they say the guy has been rumoring a Pro since late 2018 and are tired of it. Because he has, and those discussions about his posts that were held on forums took his posts to be that of a pro revision - and that was fair, imo. I mean, him saying that one version having "enhanced features aimed at core gamers" was a specific claim that was wrong.

Yes, he got most things right "technically", and he has real, cast-iron sources (never in doubt) but in terms of the device that was ultimately delivered, it was the same thing with better battery life. Add that to a really bad misunderstanding surrounding the OLED launch and people are entitled to feel like he has got it wrong / led them on.

While one could interpret the Mariko SoC as either a performance or battery life model, when Mochi is reporting on 11 developers / studios having 4K capable devkits for new Nintendo hardware, I don't think there's much room for interpretation.

There's zero room for interpretation now, it's Drake.

Although I don't think there is anyone saying he didn't make that mistake of mixing together Drake and OLED.

They conflated Drake information with the new OLED model, cause they get a lot of their information from having access to and gossiping with people in the companies that deal with the orders and supply the parts.

I can see how they would have heard about Drake, and how they would have heard about the new oled screen parts. But that method of sniffing out the new info, would have been blind to the old Mariko SOC being paired with the new screens.

Totally agree with you that this is different, and I totally believe the Drake switch is a real thing.

But I also think it's nonsense to act like more casual games news followers are wrong when they say the guy has been rumoring a Pro since late 2018 and are tired of it. Because he has, and those discussions about his posts that were held on forums took his posts to be that of a pro revision - and that was fair, imo. I mean, him saying that one version having "enhanced features aimed at core gamers" was a specific claim that was wrong.

Yes, he got most things right "technically", and he has real, cast-iron sources (never in doubt) but in terms of the device that was ultimately delivered, it was the same thing with better battery life. Add that to a really bad misunderstanding surrounding the OLED launch and people are entitled to feel like he has got it wrong / led them on.

Except it's literally not, and there are literally people who are enjoying those features on their switches as they were designed to be used by the manufacturer, with 25-30% better performance over the switch. (This is not over clocking by the way, that nets even more improved performance)

He nailed exactly what it was. An enhanced version of the x1 SOC with 25-30% better performance.

That Nintendo decided to do something else with the chip, does not magically turn the chip into something else.

He clearly mixed up Drake and OLED. But this narrative where he been promising a pro since 2018 with nothing to show for it, is fictional.

Last edited:

I agree with most of this, but the problem is exactly the bolded part. The facts are, at worst, that he misleadingly implied an enhanced model was happening in 2019, and then got the 2021 timing wrong for a real model -- but now somehow we've gone back to "late 2018" and acting like it's this repetitious yearly thing since then. I'm sure a lot of people do have that sense, because between rumors and inaccurate reporting from other outlets, there probably has been such a rumor every year since the beginning. But if you boil it down to just Mochizuki and look at the details, that narrative is wrong.

The tweet that Serkan Toto deleted about Summer of Pro - did he tweet it before or after the Splatoon OLED announcement?

I think before?

After the Splatoon 3 announcement people really dug their heels into the Drake coming fairly soon narrative tho. The Chinese forum mod leaking the Splatoon 3 announcement before it happened, along with their confidence of Drake this year felt like enough evidence to start getting excited.

Ok... then I'd be really careful as he might just have heard about a Switch hardware announcement imminent and assumed it has to be Pro this time. And when someone told him it's something else, he immediately deleted his tweet again.

And Mochi's 2 early could be pretty much anything. Like a wink to Toto as in "you've tweeted to early"

Except it's literally not, and there are literally people who are enjoying those features on their switches as they were designed to be used by the manufacturer, with 25-30% better performance over the switch. (This is not over clocking by the way, that nets even more improved performance)

He nailed exactly what it was. An enhanced version of the x1 SOC with 25-30% better performance.

That Nintendo decided to do something else with the chip, does not magically turn the chip into something else.

He clearly mixed up Drake and OLED. But this narrative where he been promising a pro since 2018 with nothing to show for it, is fictional.
The Tegra X1+ was just a die shrink, it was no different to the PS4 Slim and Xbox One S.

The Tegra X1+ was just a die shrink, it was no different to the PS4 Slim and Xbox One S.

Yes, a die shrink, that allows greater performance at the same power draw, because it takes less power to clock higher, so it can be clocked higher, at the same power draw, as the old switch. Ie, an enhanced version, of the same x1 SOC.

Specifically, netting increased performance around 25-30%.

Exactly. And I don't understand why people get so antsy about that, Mochizuki isn't gonna threaten to leave the leaking business because some random internet enjoyers from famiboards dare criticizing (very mildly) his reporting.

He definitely has access to solid information, myself or anyone else never said otherwise. What he does however is extrapolating on those info without specifying what is information and what is speculation.
And in the end, he was slightly wrong about Mariko targeting enthusiasts, and he was plain wrong about the OLED model being an iterative successor. Had he been more upfront about what was speculation on his part, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Exactly. And I don't understand why people get so antsy about that, Mochizuki isn't gonna threaten to leave the leaking business because some random internet enjoyers from famiboards dare criticizing (very mildly) his reporting.

He definitely has access to solid information, myself or anyone else never said otherwise. What he does however is extrapolating on those info without specifying what is information and what is speculation.
And in the end, he was slightly wrong about Mariko targeting enthusiasts, and he was plain wrong about the OLED model being an iterative successor. Had he been more upfront about what was speculation on his part, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Probably because it's factually wrong, and not everyone has the desire to go along with it to make random people on random boards somewhere who should probably use this as a learning experience on how to better parse and digest media feel better about themselves

Probably because it's factually wrong, and not everyone has the desire to go along with it to make random people who should probably use this as a learning experience on how to better parse and digest media feel better about themselves

"Feel better about themselves"

When you start using this kind of argument on the internet, it's probably time to take a break mate.

Mochizuki's specifications were partially wrong in 2019, and significantly wrong in 2021. If he wasn't this topic would not exist.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom