• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

There was a question about their large inventory in the shareholder meeting. Furukawa points to the raw materials as the reason but doesn't elaborate on how they'll be used; non-answer pretty much.

I would not jump to any conclusions, based on the information that the tweet gave us it seems as though they changed how they are accounting things. But they do admit they are hoarding something, but we are unsure if it’s actually a significant amount or if it’s actually a relatively small amount increase that they are hoarding. It’s best to wait for an official transcript to make any conclusions on the matter.
Agreed that we need to wait for the official transcript. But if Furukawa did try to pass off the change in accounting standard as the reason for the explosive surge of inventories, it'd be a misdirection.

According to Nintendo's own financial statements (source): "As a result [of the ASBJ accounting standard], at the end of the consolidated fiscal year ended March 31, 2022, inventories and other current liabilities increased by 36,559 million yen."

Note that it was only 36,559 million yen—shared between inventories and other current liabilities—against an increase of 117,366 million yen in inventories alone. Also, if I understand the accounting change correctly, the impact may fall mostly on the finished goods not raw materials.

Furukawa literally stated that Nintendo is working with ninjas to deal with the recent leaks from China. Uncles beware!

Hmm with the ever increasing install size of late gen8 and newer games, what options does nintendo have to still use cartridges and have the whole game on the cart?
They'll make bigger carts, just like they always have. There's 5+ years of advancements to take advantage of since they designed the current Switch carts.

Nintendo will support Switch for another 3 years even if hardware sales fall flat in lieu for the Drake.

So I don’t get it why they can’t release it at the end of the year with Pokémon and Metroid Prime remake. If Rockstar is really porting RDR2 it would be a showcase game for it.

I’m eager to buy one and I really don’t care if it costs $399 or $499 as long as all games run at max resolution and 60fps (if unlocked)

True, but would those be to costly to 3rd party devs that they won't be interested?
Even if the costs stayed exactly the same for comparable storage tiers, you already have some publishers even balking at 16GB carts. I don't think it's really a fully solvable problem.

Of course nothings guaranteed for exact titles releasing by 2027. But I personally interpret Furukawa saying as recently as February this year that “Switch is just in the middle of its lifecycle” that the current devices will be just as high of a priority for years to come, getting basically first party support. If we saw exceptions they’d not be Nintendos 15-30 million sellers like Mario.

Worth nothing that 2027 is probably a bad date use as it literally marks 10 years on the market, double the typical 5-6 that Nintendo said they would go beyond, and a fair estimate for what might be the “end point” of the Switch. I’d be looking at that year specifically to be where we see notably less OG Switch support. Really hard to say how they’ll transition to whatever’s next…
I take it as a really vague statement that the console will be supported in some capacity for 5 more years. I don't think switch will be guaranteed to get new games for all of the next 5 years. This will depend heavily on the market.

I take it as a really vague statement that the console will be supported in some capacity for 5 more years. I don't think switch will be guaranteed to get new games for all of the next 5 years. This will depend heavily on the market.

Yeah I think bare minimum they’re keeping the option available.

Of course nothings guaranteed for exact titles releasing by 2027. But I personally interpret Furukawa saying as recently as February this year that “Switch is just in the middle of its lifecycle” that the current devices will be just as high of a priority for years to come, getting basically first party support. If we saw exceptions they’d not be Nintendos 15-30 million sellers like Mario.
I recall the last time Furukawa declared the Switch being "at the mid-point of its lifecycle" was on Nov. 5, 2021. The absence of said talking point this year might indicate that the Switch has entered the second half of its product cycle. Would you please point me to any reports of Furkawa saying this in February?
From the shareholder meeting, might be relevant :
Furukawa was talking about the 3 existing models: OLED, standard, and Lite. You can read the pre-canned statement here (page 23).
Way to validate the leakers! Until now, I thought they were amusing, but 90% sure they were made up. Now Im reconsidering.
Since the shareholder name-dropped iQue (localization vendor), I guess that they were mainly referring to the FE leak. But I'm sure that they'd like to hunt down all leakers if they can.

I recall the last time Furukawa declared the Switch being "at the mid-point of its lifecycle" was on Nov. 5, 2021. The absence of said talking point this year might indicate that the Switch has entered the second half of its product cycle. Would you please point me to any reports of Furkawa saying this in February?

Furukawa was talking about the 3 existing models: OLED, standard, and Lite. You can read the pre-canned statement here (page 23).

Since the shareholder name-dropped iQue (localization vendor), I guess that they were mainly referring to the FE leak. But I'm sure that they'd like to hunt down all leakers if they can.

Maybe you’re right?

I was referring to a quote in this article : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-switch-outlook-again-on-supply-logistics-jam

Once the new console is out, I expect the new releases on the OG Switch to start declining like the right half side of a Gaussian. Indie games however, as the vast majority of them isn't too technically demanding, could easily release until the end of the decade. Such scenario isn't incompatible with Furukawa's statement.

Gonna wait for the official Q&A transcript, but do we think the "(It's a technical and difficult story, so I'll omit it a lot.)" part of that tweet was just from the journalist or said by Furukawa himself?

They really gonna with the New Nintendo Switch name😫, probably slapping this logo on the box too😬
images

Last edited:
Yeah they just want to clarify that anything using the term "NSW" they consider to be referring to Switch too.

Sorry Australia.

How sad is it I live here and didn’t think for a second about it when I saw NSW. Given I wasn’t born here, it’s still been like 7 years lol

Last edited:
Is it tho? I don't think Nintendo ever gave a hint about their future hardware in a shareholder meeting. They always talk as if they had nothing planned until the reveal of something new.
Correct. "Going forward with 3 models" is their strategy right now, and that's all Furukawa was speaking to.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom