• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

The Xbox One X has a larger power jump over the Xbox One than the Series S had over the One X.

That is really untrue. The One X was tailor made to push xbox1 games to 4K, but it was at core a console of a similar generation.

The Series S is a much more modern machine, capable of Ray tracing and including an excellent CPU and fast storage.

Simply comparing the teraflops from the GPU is extremely limited when assessing the performance of a console.

Personally I don't think they'd sabotage their holiday sales by announcing new hardware before the holidays that you can't buy during the holidays.

It was okay in 2016 since the Wii U was dead already.
It’d definitely be difficult, but if they nail the messaging about it being the same family it should be ok. Announcing it after Holiday if it’s a March 2023 release would be kinda shitty.

It’d definitely be difficult, but if they nail the messaging about it being the same family it should be ok. Announcing it after Holiday if it’s a March 2023 release would be kinda shitty.
Kinda shitty to consumers, not their bottom line.

Which is typically how billion dollar corporations work sadly.

Kinda shitty to consumers, not their bottom line.

Which is typically how billion dollar corporations work sadly.
3 months before releases is still too short of a period to market such console , if it gets announced January its not releasing until May/June at best

I agree. I was meeting the scenario under it's own premise. Because even as such, it's still inescapably overkill for just switch fidelity games dlss'd to 4k.

It is not overkill to DLSS BotW2 to 4K/60fps with inescapably low power draws and inescapably low clocks.

If this was a home console, I would agree with you though.

If Nintendo wanted a machine to play Zelda at 1080p, they would have done it earlier with Mariko.
The machine that leaked should be closer to a Series S than to a PS4 and will include modern features such as DLSS and Ray tracing, along with a much much (much) better CPU. There will be exclusive games, from release I would bet, and increasingly so over time. While all Switch may share the same eShop, which will allow the current model to receive the least demanding games for a few more years, this new machine should be as much a new generation as the PS5.

Nintendo does not want to divert software development between the Lite/OLED and Drake and split userbases, no.

The whole point of the shift to NX hybrid ecosystem was to STOP this kind of thing lol.

I will be shocked if Drake has any major Nintendo exclusive support besides interesting and unique gameplay driven niche titles that for some reason the OLED model simply can not function gameplay wise.

This is not the same as a ps5 situation where 1st party exclusives are utilized to ensure gamers stay in their ecosystem/services to consume major, modern 3rd party content rather than going to modern Xbox or modern pc for that.

Nintendo uses hardware to primarily sell their own published software, not primarily sell other published software.

I mean, not to the same extent as MS and Sony, but certainly more than nothing.

Are you saying the decision to go with Nvidia tech that's easy to develop for, and plays nice with most engines had absolutely nothing to do with third parties?

What about adding another gb of ram?

Or having Skyrim as one of the big initial selling points?

Edit: Or had a third party direct, literally today?

Nintendo will only consider hardware design impact on 3rd party publishers who they work with getting console exclusive content from that. And that input would be minimum at best. It’s basically like “hey, we kind of might need a bit more of this if we are going to comfortably make this next exclusive content for you…” But that’s about as far as it goes.

Nintendo isn’t interested in hardware design to be the place to play 3rd party multiplat games. It doesn’t influence their hardware/software design at all. It’s THE major influence in Xbox/Sony hardware/software design though.

Nintendo didn’t design NX hybrid Switch to play Skyrim. Bethseda saw what the hardware did and thought there might be some value in offering some of their games on a portable console, regardless of compromises.

Nintendo saw the value of highlighting a game like Skyrim for Switch launch because it certainly sells the “tv console gaming on the go!” aspect of what they wanted people to be sure to see the Switch as (not just as a DS with better graphics and HDMI out)

But no, in no way did Nintendo factor in Skyrim or FIFA or Assassins Creed when they were choosing hardware design. It’s always what will play the next big Nintendo game the best.

And of course Nintendo still wants to help highlight 3rd party efforts, they want as big of a library as possible naturally. But spending a bit of money to help market some 3rd party switch efforts in a Twitter video dump is not the same as designing their hardware/software around 3rd party gaming.

3 months before releases is still too short of a period to market such console , if it gets announced January its not releasing until May/June at best
Lite released 2 months after it was revealed,
OLED model released 3 months after it was revealed. I don't see why Drake couldn't do that or even a bit less.

Lite released 2 months after it was revealed,
OLED model released 3 months after it was revealed. I don't see why Drake couldn't do that or even a bit less.
If Drake is revealed in January, I don't see how it wouldn't leak beforehand. Contrary to the Lite or the OLED, Drake will need to be in developper's hands pretty early.

It would be good for their bottom line if enough consumers would be able to save up / budget for what is likely to be a $500 handheld though.
That’s not a concern. It’ll sell out easily. You want people to buy your holiday products, not give them reason not too

If Drake is revealed in January, I don't see how it wouldn't leak beforehand. Contrary to the Lite or the OLED, Drake will need to be in developper's hands pretty early.
It probably would leak (and kinda has), it's unclear how much that would affect their planned timeline.

I will be shocked if Drake has any major Nintendo exclusive support besides interesting and unique gameplay driven niche titles that for some reason the OLED model simply can not function gameplay wise.

Fine. So you believe that Nintendo designed an absolute beast of an hybrid console to please third parties, and chase 4k/60fps in Nintendo games that tech enthusiasts already find outdated, and will find borderline prehistoric by 2025-26 as they will still need to target a console which mobile SoC is from 2015. That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

I agree on the point they won't want to split their software up majorly between drake and OG, but at same time, that doesn't mean they won't slowly over a certain period, phase out 1st party support for the OG and then focus solely on the drake model. It makes no sense for them to simply make drake to up rez their current library and keep their developers shackled to the OG switch. I think a good 2year cross gen period, up to MK10 (probably holiday 2024) then have MK10 be exclusive and start prioritizing drake from there on

Shame that the A715 ended up having ~15% (or less) IPC over the A78 when the 2020 announcement proposed ~30%.
...but the funny thought I have following that is, if Drake were to launch in this fiscal year with A78 as suspected, the gap in IPC between 'the CPU inside Drake' and the latest available 'mid' Arm core would actually be smaller than the gap in IPC between 'the CPU inside PS5/XS' and Zen 3, which launched within the same quarter as those systems.
Even in the scenario where Drake launches in 2024, it's (sadly) possible that Hunter/2023's 'mid' core raises IPC by a low enough amount that the difference between it and A78 is pretty close to the one between Zen 3 and monolithic Zen 2.

Edit: Uh, right, reminder for the readers. Zen 3 is said to have delivered ~19% IPC gain over Zen 2, right? That should be against chiplet based Zen 2, which had 16 MB of L3 cache per CCX (groups of 4 cores). PS5/Xbox Series use monolithic Zen 2, which have 4 MB of L3 cache per CCX. So the average IPC, particularly gaming related, should probably lose a few percentage points against chiplet Zen 2, I think.

Soon: New Hey you Pikachu that gets tired of me, flips me off, and just leaves.
Not if you flip Pikachu off first!

Last edited:
Personally I don't think they'd sabotage their holiday sales by announcing new hardware before the holidays that you can't buy during the holidays.

It was okay in 2016 since the Wii U was dead already.
If it's priced high and marketed correctly, I don't see this being too much of an issue. There wouldn't be too much overlap between people who would (without knowledge of this device) want to buy a Switch for the holidays and people who would pay $500 to be one of the first to own the new, extra powerful Switch

I agree on the point they won't want to split their software up majorly between drake and OG, but at same time, that doesn't mean they won't slowly over a certain period, phase out 1st party support for the OG and then focus solely on the drake model. It makes no sense for them to simply make drake to up rez their current library and keep their developers shackled to the OG switch. I think a good 2year cross gen period, up to MK10 (probably holiday 2024) then have MK10 be exclusive and start prioritizing drake from there on

And 2 years of cross generation titles is more or less what we're getting with the PS5. Nobody in their right mind would call a PS5 something else than a new generation.

Sharing the same eShop will offer the current switch model more longevity than previous generation consoles, but if that new console is anything like we expect it to be, you can be sure that Nintendo's teams will be eager to tap in that new potential.

And 2 years of cross generation titles is more or less what we're getting with the PS5. Nobody in their right mind would call a PS5 something else than a new generation.

Sharing the same eShop will offer the current switch model more longevity than previous generation consoles, but if that new console is anything like we expect it to be, you can be sure that Nintendo's teams will be eager to tap in that new potential.
I agree, and I don't think any that seen the current leaks think power wise it will be anything less than a new gen, but it comes down to what nintendo wants to market it as, which I see them not marketing it as that till the cross gen period is over.

If it's priced high and marketed correctly, I don't see this being too much of an issue. There wouldn't be too much overlap between people who would (without knowledge of this device) want to buy a Switch for the holidays and people who would pay $500 to be one of the first to own the new, extra powerful Switch
Nintendo has always seemed overly cautious of announcing revisions (or even new consoles) at a time where it could affect their holiday income, I really have a hard time seeing them do that now. They'd probably rather risk leaks.

That is really untrue. The One X was tailor made to push xbox1 games to 4K, but it was at core a console of a similar generation.

The Series S is a much more modern machine, capable of Ray tracing and including an excellent CPU and fast storage.

Simply comparing the teraflops from the GPU is extremely limited when assessing the performance of a console.

Eh, you are proving my point that it’s semantics and not indicative of anything.

Some think going from 900p/30fps to 1440p/4K with better performance is more noticeable than the more lateral move from One X to Series S. Despite the ray tracing and SSD speed lol.

I agree, being more “modern” in architecture is a bigger deal than tflops. But that’s not what we are talking about here.

The point was, just looking at SM’s and CUDA cores and cpu cores doesn’t dictate wether a new model will be treated like a mid gen upgrade or a gen breaking successor.

I don’t think “modern” DLSS and RT functions will either. Nintendo will utilize them conservatively and complimentary for a good while…because this is historically what they tend to do with changes and shifts.

In the end, it will be marketed more like the Xbox One X was with the Xbox One. Play the same Nintendo Switch games, but with better graphics/performances for gamers looking for a premium version.

I don’t see how they position this any other way, really.

Nintendo has always seemed overly cautious of announcing revisions (or even new consoles) at a time where it could affect their holiday income, I really have a hard time seeing them do that now. They'd probably rather risk leaks.
They did it with the DS to 3DS, DS was still selling amazing before 3DS reveal/launch. (Wii hardware sales were dead by that point so they didnt matter that much to Nintendo)

Nah they’ll wait until January
I'd say late December, (late) January may be too late and late November/early December is too early as I'd imagine Nintendo would want the Christmas bump in sales; Overlap between the regular switch and an enthusiast model (because at 400 that's what it will be) may not be massive but it'll still exist.

They did it with the DS to 3DS, DS was still selling amazing before 3DS reveal/launch. (Wii hardware sales were dead by that point so they didnt matter that much to Nintendo)
Was that announced before a holiday quarter? Can't remember exactly what the timing was.

Anyway this whole issue is why I believe they're going to move heaven and earth to try and launch this year.

It is not overkill to DLSS BotW2 to 4K/60fps with inescapably low power draws and inescapably low clocks.

If this was a home console, I would agree with you though.

This is nonsensical, and fails to address any pertinent issues at hand, in lieu of a statement that means nothing.

First off, they are both mobile platforms. For your statement to even begin to be considered usable, one would need to be wall based while the other was mobile.

Switch was not 'inescapably low' clocks for it's contemporaries. Docked its gpu clock was 768 Mhz. The PS4 GPU was clocked at 800 Mhz. The Durango Xbone was 853 Mhz.

The large difference between shaders and clock speeds with these was the number of shader processors, not the clock speed.

we don't know what Drake is going to be clocked at, but switch itself already makes where you are trying to go here a dead end, and drake is highly unlikely to be clocked lower than switches x1 profiles.

On top of that even at the same clock speed, you still have 1,280 more cuda processors available on Drake than switch had. You literally have 6 more switches in shader processor volume.

And once again, the Cuda processors that handle rendering the scene, don't do dlss, that is sent to an entirely different group of processors called tensor cores that specializes in doing exactly that.

Was that announced before a holiday quarter? Can't remember exactly what the timing was.

Anyway this whole issue is why I believe they're going to move heaven and earth to try and launch this year.
March 2010, 1 whole year before 3DS launch and right before announcing 27 mi units sold in the fiscal year which had ended.

Also, the new 3DS was revealed in 2014 but was only released in NA/EU in the first months of 2015.

Fine. So you believe that Nintendo designed an absolute beast of an hybrid console to please third parties, and chase 4k/60fps in Nintendo games that tech enthusiasts already find outdated, and will find borderline prehistoric by 2025-26 as they will still need to target a console which mobile SoC is from 2015. That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

Major Sony 1st party games in 2023 are still targeting an SoC from 2012…I don’t see people throwing their ps5 in the sea or vomiting when they play ps5 games.

Look, there is no reason for Nintendo to NOT continue to target Lite/OLED with most of their output. Always follow the active userbase. The active userbase during the Switch lifespan will be more on the cheaper 2017-2021 models than they will be on the expensive 2022 model.

The whole magic of DLSS is ostensibly to increase visual/performance output with the same low rendering targets that older hardware are bound to. That’s the beauty of it. Nintendo will still be targeting a 540p/720p for every Drake game.

Why wouldn’t Nintendo just continue to release the low target profiles on the 2017-2021 models?

Geez…how many $500 Drake consoles do you think Nintendo is going to push in 2 years??

And I’m assuming you think they are going to stop producing and selling the older models when Drake launches? But why?

And why can’t a 2024 Switch game play on the OLED? What are you imagining in terms of impossible gameplay?

Im pretty sure most switch users will think BotW 2 and MP4 look just fine on the OLED.

Major Sony 1st party games in 2023 are still targeting an SoC from 2012…I don’t see people throwing their ps5 in the sea or vomiting when they play ps5 games.

Look, there is no reason for Nintendo to NOT continue to target Lite/OLED with most of their output. Always follow the active userbase. The active userbase during the Switch lifespan will be more on the cheaper 2017-2021 models than they will be on the expensive 2022 model.

The whole magic of DLSS is ostensibly to increase visual/performance output with the same low rendering targets that older hardware are bound to. That’s the beauty of it. Nintendo will still be targeting a 540p/720p for every Drake game.

Why wouldn’t Nintendo just continue to release the low target profiles on the 2017-2021 models?

Geez…how many $500 Drake consoles do you think Nintendo is going to push in 2 years??

And I’m assuming you think they are going to stop producing and selling the older models when Drake launches? But why?

And why can’t a 2024 Switch game play on the OLED? What are you imagining in terms of impossible gameplay?

Im pretty sure most switch users will think BotW 2 and MP4 look just fine on the OLED.
No I'm sure they will keep producing the OG switch models, well atleast the OLED and Lite during that period. And I don't think it couldn't run on OG switch but they would want to move on eventually, im just predicting 2024, but could be longer who knows. But to think they will just support the OG model the whole life cycle of the Drake model is setting up for disappointment

There is more to visual output than rendering resolution.

Just because a switch will be able to handle the target render resolution before dlss, doesn't mean it will be able to handle the sheer increase in polygons, textures, and effects 6x the switch gpu can perform.

Shame that the A715 ended up having ~15% (or less) IPC over the A78 when the 2020 announcement proposed ~30%.
...but the funny thought I have following that is, if Drake were to launch in this fiscal year with A78 as suspected, the gap in IPC between 'the CPU inside Drake' and the latest available 'mid' Arm core would actually be smaller than the gap in IPC between 'the CPU inside PS5/XS' and Zen 3, which launched within the same quarter as those systems.
Even in the scenario where Drake launches in 2024, it's (sadly) possible that Hunter/2023's 'mid' core raises IPC by a low enough amount that the difference between it and A78 is pretty close to the one between Zen 3 and monolithic Zen 2.

Edit: Uh, right, reminder for the readers. Zen 3 is said to have delivered ~19% IPC gain over Zen 2, right? That should be against chiplet based Zen 2, which had 16 MB of L3 cache per CCX (groups of 4 cores). PS5/Xbox Series use monolithic Zen 2, which have 4 MB of L3 cache per CCX. So the average IPC, particularly gaming related, should probably lose a few percentage points against chiplet Zen 2, I think.
Basically more proof that nobody should expect more than marginal performance and power efficiency improvements from Nintendo's future hardware after Nintendo releases the new hardware equipped with Drake, unless people are willing to pay significantly more money.

Yeah the whole "they'll kill their holiday sales" is something that seems like common sense, but doesn't really seem like a big deal nor historically accurate for a lot of companies including Nintendo.

I mean the worst outcome of announcing it this year is X number of people skipping a Switch purchase at the holidays...which doesn't exactly seem like a loss considering they would be doing so to buy a more expensive model a few months later. Which is even assuming there are that many people who don't own a Switch, who are planning to buy one this year, that decide to instead be first in line for a Switch 2/Pro/etc. Seems like a small population.

Meanwhile announcing it before the holidays encourages people to save their money rather than spending it on competitor hardware/software/ecosystems. Feels like a net positive really.

Yeah the whole "they'll kill their holiday sales" is something that seems like common sense, but doesn't really seem like a big deal nor historically accurate for a lot of companies including Nintendo.

I mean the worst outcome of announcing it this year is X number of people skipping a Switch purchase at the holidays...which doesn't exactly seem like a loss considering they would be doing so to buy a more expensive model a few months later. Which is even assuming there are that many people who don't own a Switch, who are planning to buy one this year, that decide to instead be first in line for a Switch 2/Pro/etc. Seems like a small population.

Meanwhile announcing it before the holidays encourages people to save their money rather than spending it on competitor hardware/software/ecosystems. Feels like a net positive really.
I also feel like they won't want to piss off consumers with a bait and switch.

My own personal feeling is the new Switch is a H2 2023 release, so they probably would just hold off until spring 2023 to announce. But if it is launching say in March 2023, they will probably announce it this year.

This is nonsensical, and fails to address any pertinent issues at hand, in lieu of a statement that means nothing.

First off, they are both mobile platforms. For your statement to even begin to be considered usable, one would need to be wall based while the other was mobile.

Switch was not 'inescapably low' clocks for it's contemporaries. Docked its gpu clock was 768 Mhz. The PS4 GPU was clocked at 800 Mhz. The Durango Xbone was 853 Mhz.

The large difference between shaders and clock speeds with these was the number of shader processors, not the clock speed.

we don't know what Drake is going to be clocked at, but switch itself already makes where you are trying to go here a dead end, and drake is highly unlikely to be clocked lower than switches x1 profiles.

On top of that even at the same clock speed, you still have 1,280 more cuda processors available on Drake than switch had. You literally have 6 more switches in shader processor volume.

And once again, the Cuda processors that handle rendering the scene, don't do dlss, that is sent to an entirely different group of processors called tensor cores that specializes in doing exactly that.

I’m talking about all clocks, not just gpu. And I’m not comparing it to 300w ps4 that doesn’t have to factor in tensor core usage…for obvious reasons. I don’t know why you are. And Switch’s portable mode clocks still exist, ya know (unless you think they are just going to disable DLSS/tensor cores when undocked)

I was saying if it were a 300w home console that can up all the clocks with extreme cooling…then yea the 12 SM wide setup could be considered overkill for just Botw2 4K/60fps

We are talking about DLSS usage and tensor cores and a completely portable system here, with all the conservative Nintendo power usages constrictions to be expected

What’s currently the lowest end DLSS capable ampere gpu right now? RTX 3050 found in laptops?

That’s a 80w gpu that runs at 2x the clock frequency that the current Switch does. (Let’s forget for a sec that Nitnendo also has to factor in cpu power draw and clocks)

That’s a gpu with 2048 CUDA, at 1.5 ghz, and has 64 tensor cores. Forget about 4K, It runs a game like Control at 1080p/60fps at medium presets

Now, Drake appears to be ~500 less CUDA cores, ~20 less tensor cores, at half the clock frequencies with a lower power draw….and I’m supposed to believe that this being used to run BotW2 4K/60fps DLSS is overkill??

Nah.

Again, I think the hardware choices for Drake are kind of necessary to effectively DLSS Switch games given the Nitnendo hybrid parameters

I’m talking about all clocks, not just gpu. And I’m not comparing it to 300w ps4 that doesn’t have to factor in tensor core usage…for obvious reasons. I don’t know why you are. And Switch’s portable mode clocks still exist, ya know (unless you think they are just going to disable DLSS/tensor cores when undocked)
We don't have information on drake's clocks. And your statement on the switches clock was blatantly wrong.

You should be comparing it to a mobile platform like the switch, which is what I said, and did, as they are both mobile platforms with mobile gpu's.
I was saying if it were a 300w home console that can up all the clocks with extreme cooling…then yea the 12 SM wide setup could be considered overkill for just Botw2 4K/60fps
Now you have completely contradicted your previous paragraph.

Again. You should be comparing it to a mobile platform like the switch, which is what I said, and did, as they are both mobile platforms with mobile gpu's.

Botw2 is not a game designed for a 300w home console, which is why your argument is nonsensical.

Botw2 is being designed for a mobile 2015 era Maxwell chipset with 256 shader cores, taking around 15 watts. Not 300.

Drake is also a mobile chipset, they are starting from the same foundation. It is developed on a much smaller manufacturing node than the switch, so it can provide a whole lot more horsepower, with less power draw. And that's coming in the form of 6X the shader processors, than the switch has. And undoubtedly the rest of the system, that matches the 6x shader power boost.

6X the power of the switch for botw2 4k is extreme overkill, especially when none of that 6X power is going to be used for 4k. That's handled by specialized hardware called tensor cores.

We are talking about DLSS usage and tensor cores and a completely portable system here, with all the conservative Nintendo power usages to be expected

Once again, the tensor cores that perform dlss are completely different dedicated processors, than the Cuda cores that generate environments textures and effects. What you are saying is nonsensical.

They are specialized fixed function hardware that can build a 4k image in a fraction of the time and power draw that using the shaders takes to do it.

What you are saying, is nonsensical.

What’s currently the lowest end DLSS capable ampere gpu right now? RTX 3050 found in laptops?

That’s a 80w gpu that runs at 2x the clock frequency that the current Switch does. (Let’s forget for a sec that Nitnendo also has to factor in cpu power draw and clocks)

That’s a gpu with 2048 CUDA, at 1.5 ghz, and has 64 tensor cores. Forget about 4K, It runs a game like Control at 1080p/60fps at medium presets

Now, Drake appears to be ~500 less CUDA cores, ~20 less tensor cores, at half the clock frequencies with a lower power draw….and I’m supposed to believe that this being used to run BotW2 4K/60fps DLSS is overkill??

Yes, because natively running a game like botw2, a game designed for a quad core arm57 and a 2015 era Maxwell GPU with 256 shader cores, on a RTX 3050 and it's 2048 cuda cores is even so much more overkill than the Drake, that it's a complete and absolute joke.

That system can EMULATE a switch running Botw2 in 4k without breaking a sweat.

Nah.

Again, I think the hardware choices for Drake are kind of necessary to effectively DLSS Switch games giving the Nitnendo hybrid parameters

I can't even parse this, but it likely also comes from a place of misunderstanding of how tensor cores are dedicated hardware that take the load of rendering at higher resolution off of the rest of the GPU.

No I'm sure they will keep producing the OG switch models, well atleast the OLED and Lite during that period. And I don't think it couldn't run on OG switch but they would want to move on eventually, im just predicting 2024, but could be longer who knows. But to think they will just support the OG model the whole life cycle of the Drake model is setting up for disappointment

I think they’ll support the OG model for its whole lifecycle. Which, according to Nintendo, will be unusually long for what we consider a normal console lifecycle to be and was sitting at its midpoint 5 years in.

So, major support by Nintendo for the 2017-2021 models in 2026/2027 seems like a lock to me.

I think they’ll support the OG model for its whole lifecycle. Which, according to Nintendo, will be unusually long for what we consider a normal console lifecycle to be and was sitting at its midpoint 5 years in.

So, major support by Nintendo for the 2017-2021 models in 2026/2027 seems like a lock to me.
Outside of small games that’s not happening.

I think you're misunderstanding the task at hand

You'd be a fool to think the 100m+ install base will be dropped like a rock no matter when this new hardware launches. The cross-gen period will end up lasting a few years for Nintendo and plenty of third-party developers, just like on PS4. Some exclusives will pop up in the first few years, but a lot of the largest titles will be playable on the current Switch too.

It'll need to be left behind eventually but the original Switch will be sticking around for awhile yet.

You'd be a fool to think the 100m+ install base will be dropped like a rock no matter when this new hardware launches. The cross-gen period will end up lasting a few years for Nintendo and plenty of third-party developers, just like on PS4. Some exclusives will pop up in the first few years, but a lot of the largest titles will be playable on the current Switch too.

It'll need to be left behind eventually but the original Switch will be sticking around for awhile yet.
Yes, but Tulpa thinks the Switch will be supported for into 2027.

Yes, but Tulpa thinks the Switch will be supported for into 2027.
They've got to let it go eventually but I wouldn't be surprised if a few things were still compatible on the original model that far down the track, yeah. Absolutely disagree on full support for the original Switch still going on that far from now, but select titles I can see.

They probably will. At least with some games, probably stuff like Pokemon and Kirby at least.

Those look to me to be the smaller/less demanding games ArchedThunder mentioned would be the ones still being produced, assuming you are talking about the multitude of kirby spinoff games, rather then the next forgotten land, which in 2027 would be 'only for drake'.

Batman Arkham Collection was no show in the direct which makes me more inclined to believe Arkham Knight in that collection is Drake exclusive and all three games will be sold separately on eShop. I'm not sure how feasible to downport such limit pushing open world game to Switch But making it exclusive to the stronger iteration will be much cheaper for WB.

Hogwarts Legacy is probably a base Switch game but enhanced on Drake. WB avoided talking about it most likely because they saving it for Drake showcase.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Switch is pretty much guaranteed to get a lot of profit for the next 3 or so years. What they should be focusing on is keeping those profit levels way beyond that.

The announcement, release and marketing campaign for the system to become their next baseline should all be decided around paving the way for it to sell 100+ mi units, not to make a little more money in short term.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom