• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Sure smells like “we can now say with certainty that the new hardware is a powered up revision that is fully back compat, and Switch is still the platform for the foreseeable future”

For reference, to anybody who doesn't get this:

1653577064709.png

I think it's more likely they were expecting a Nintendo next gen announcement by now, but since it's not coming they decided to go with Switch. I seriously doubt these guys have any info on unannounced Nintendo hardware.

Yeah I'd just assume that over the course of development they realized they could port it, or maybe more likely, their publisher found a studio to do the port for them.

There's plenty of interesting stuff in the leak (not all related to Drake) that's gotten zero discussion because no one has looked at it. But oh well. The tea leaf reading will continue.
I've avoided the actual dump of data, partially to avoid encouraging that sort of behavior (the dump of employee records was especially abominable), but I keep being tempted to pick it up and peek through

Quoted by: LiC
I've avoided the actual dump of data, partially to avoid encouraging that sort of behavior (the dump of employee records was especially abominable), but I keep being tempted to pick it up and peak through
I don't think it's right to redistribute proprietary source code, or disclose details of sensitive implementations thereof, but looking through it once it's out there is merely akin to data mining if you're not interested in stealing and sharing trade secrets. But I get it.

Alternative approach: everybody can just chillax.
WHAT?!

/jk.

There's plenty of interesting stuff in the leak (not all related to Drake) that's gotten zero discussion because no one has looked at it.
On a more serious note, maybe the reason for that is that in this thread most people that are tech-inclined (including you) and could look into that info and make sense out of it, are trying to not derail it with non-“Future Nintendo Hardware” stuff. And other people like me just follow along.

I backed the game. They sent this out after the kickstarters end.

ksWNt8f_d.webp
I think this confirms they have no insider info, because if they had then they wouldn’t post about a “Nintendo Next Gen” while under NDA.

Alternative approach: everybody can just chillax.

I would love to Chill Ax, but the Amber Hoarfrost is the top of the ice elemental axes and it's just not good enough to ditch physical and crit build.

So, crazy town it is, we just don't have a choice. It has to be this way.

Looking at the A78C, it seems like the parameters are as follows wrt cache setup. Keep note, this isn’t new information really, more like clarified info. Nothing crazy:

CPU setupL1 CacheL2 cacheL3 CacheTotal Range L1Total Range L2Total Range L3
8 A78C32kB to 64kB of L1 Instruction Cache + 32kB to 64kB of L1 Data Cache per core256kB to 512kB L2 private ECC per coreup to 8MB L3 (shared)256KB to 512KB L1 I-Cache + 256KB to 512kB L1 D-Cache = 512kB to 1MB L1 Cache 2-4MB L2 Cacheup to 8MB L3 (shared)
6 A78C32kB to 64kB of L1 Instruction Cache + 32kB to 64kB of L1 Data Cache per core256kB to 512kB L2 private ECC per coreup to 6 or 8MB L3 (shared)192kB to 384kB L1 I-Cache + 192kB to 384kB L1 D-Cache =
384kB to 768kB L1 Cache
1.5-3MB L2 Cacheup to 6 or 8MB L3 (shared)
4 A7832kB to 64kB of L1 Instruction Cache + 32kB to 64kB of L1 Data Cache per core256kB to 512kB L2 private ECC per core512kB-4MB L3 (shared)128kB to 256kB L1 I-Cache + 128kB to 256kB L1 D-Cache =
256kB to 512kB L1 Cache
1-2MB L2 Cache512kB to 4MB L3 (shared)
4 A5748kB Instruction Cache w/DED Parity + 32KB Data Cache w/ECC per core512kB to 2MB L2 Cache (shared)N/A192kB L1 I-Cache + 128kB L1 D-Cache = 320kB L1 Cache512kB to 2MB L2 CacheN/A
4 Jaguar Cores32kB of L1 Instruction Cache + 32kB of L1 Data Cache per core1 to 2MB L2 Cache (shared) N/A8 Core custom contains 512kB L1 cache (256kB in 4 Core Cluster)8 core custom contains 4MB L2 Cache (2MB in 4 Core Cluster)N/A

For note, the Switch has 2MB, not the 512kB setup of L2 cache. Strictly CPU here

The jump in cache alone would be massive from the A57 to the A78 or A78C (4, 6 or 8C setup)

Edit: oh yeah, what I wanted to mention…. While the nVidia hack did not really mention anything the CPU setup necessarily, the T239 soc is a derivative of the T234 soc (ORIN), it’s safe to assume (I think) that being a derivative it has the A78 CPU core. So it’s rounded out more or less where it could fall on the line having A78 CPU and different Configs of Cache with clocks being a useless thing to speculate right now really because of how those are influx and never exactly fixed. Aka, knowing the clocks now doesn’t matter unless it’s like a month or 2 before the launch of the hardware.

Last edited:
@NateDrake

Is there a chance that the delay from 2021 to X is indeed because of Ada? Ada seems to be a massive step up compared to Ampere and even RDNA 3 according to the last rumors from greymon and kopite…
Likely not, Switch released during the time that Pascal was out and that was noticeably better than the Maxwell 2.0.

Even considering it’s original release timing, Late 2016 for the switch, Pascal was on the market for several months.

I’d say the chances are very slim to none.

I finally experienced dlss on doom eternal, that's incredible, went from 90/100 to stable 120fps.
Didn't find issues myself but it seems in some odd spots, textures get high def too late.
But even with the objective to checkout I got engrossed and just enjoyed that 4k 120fps highspeed demon slaughter and of course couldn't stop thinking about drake...
Also booted the mario striker demo just after in handheld, got some jet lag lol

Nintendo used Deep Learning to develop the motion controls for Switch Sports

In this title, how did you overcome what seemed technically impossible at the time?
Okane:
We just did a lot of trial and error. In terms of new technology, we tried deep learning, which was not available when Wii Sports was developed.

Deep learning?
Okane:
For example, we asked various people to "swing as if you were hitting to the left," and "now swing as if you were hitting to the right," and repeated the process over and over again to acquire a large amount of data. It is a technology that detects if the player is trying to hit the ball to the right (or left) by statistically analyzing that acquired data. So by incorporating such technology, and experimenting with this and that, we tried to bring it up to a level that everyone could agree on.
Obviously, this doesn’t require a tensor core to execute but is another answer to the question “what else can tensor cores do for games?”

Obviously, this doesn’t require a tensor core to execute but is another answer to the question “what else can tensor cores do for games?”
that's one of those things I've been wondering myself. especially if Nvidia wants to further justify their inclusion in geforce cards. I've heard that fp16 tasks have ran on tensor cores but nothing really consistent on that. if anyone has any motivation for find use for silicon, Nintendo would since any solution would probably be bespoke to the hardware

that's one of those things I've been wondering myself. especially if Nvidia wants to further justify their inclusion in geforce cards. I've heard that fp16 tasks have ran on tensor cores but nothing really consistent on that. if anyone has any motivation for find use for silicon, Nintendo would since any solution would probably be bespoke to the hardware
I suspect that offline voice assistants and ultra smooth scrolling UHD devices are going to put matrix math acceleration everywhere, regardless.

@NateDrake

Is there a chance that the delay from 2021 to X is indeed because of Ada? Ada seems to be a massive step up compared to Ampere and even RDNA 3 according to the last rumors from greymon and kopite…
On top of the existence of the OLED, I don't think there's any version of Drake that could have released in 2021 given the state of NVN2 and other things as of the February 2022 leak. Later this year is the earliest it was ever going to come out. As for the Ada thing, there's no evidence that it's any more like Ada than the original Switch is like Pascal -- potentially a few late feature inclusions, but no significant changes to the architecture.

@NateDrake

Don't know what you are talking about a supposed delay, but based on process node alone 5nm tmsc is a massive improvement over Sammy 8nm. So even Ampere at 5nm would have been a massive improvement.

T239 is confirmed to be Ampere though.

I mean, machine learning is just the usual way to do stuff like that today. tensor cores are great for that, sure, but for stuff like motion clasification you dont have that many features, and it mostly is done prior to deployment. Aftere that, the model is there, you ship it with your software, and use that to clasify the movement.

Can it be used in games? for shure, you can record motions of the user, and try to create models that are specific to the user.
But that doesnt really happen in real time, doesnt even make sense, so if you feel like it would benefit the game, doing it in the background on a single cpu core would be fine for that. This brings to mind the problems that can come from that (training a model that only fors for the player that used it the most in multy player households, or lack of oversight if the model is trained "correctly" (i mean, do you want to have a popup "if it feels like it does not work as intended, reset the training progress of the recognition model"...)

If im wrong im happy to be corrected. And if somebody has an idea where else besides the input could be used (i mean, technically to train AI to your playstyle, see Figure Playeres in Smash 4/Ultimate...), i would love to hear it.

In short: Technically possible, but for that you dont need the tensor cores. Graphics (and maybe some complexe audio stuff) are the only areas where i see benefits.

I mean, machine learning is just the usual way to do stuff like that today. tensor cores are great for that, shure, but for stuff like motion clasification you dont have that many features, and it mostly is done prior to deployment. Aftere that, the model is there, you ship it with your software, and use that to clasify the movement.
Absolutely. I wasn't expecting that you would train the model on the console. You'd want something like a DLA for that anyway - but model execution could run on tensor cores. My point was just that being able to accelerate DL models will benefit more than just the graphics pipeline. Even if each individual model is very fast on the CPU, once they're everywhere, they will consume a significant portion of the frame budget

If im wrong im happy to be corrected. And if somebody has an idea where else besides the input could be used (i mean, technically to train AI to your playstyle, see Figure Playeres in Smash 4/Ultimate...), i would love to hear it.
Later in the interview it is mentioned that netplay uses a different motion classification method than local play, because they can't wait for all the motion inputs to be collected before they need to respond. Rollback netcode is built on the idea that you predict player actions, and then roll back when you have updated state. Player action prediction is exactly the sort of thing that tensor cores could accelerate.

You would likely want to use a model that takes player's previous actions as inputs, but that isn't training.

In short: Technically possible, but for that you dont need the tensor cores. Graphics (and maybe some complexe audio stuff) are the only areas where i see benefits.

AI pathfinding is a problem made for deep learning. As good as modern pathfinding is (and it's mostly pretty good!), it bogs down as enemy numbers increase and still depends on navigation meshes (even if those meshes are automatically generated from scene geometry).

Absolutely. I wasn't expecting that you would train the model on the console. You'd want something like a DLA for that anyway - but model execution could run on tensor cores. My point was just that being able to accelerate DL models will benefit more than just the graphics pipeline. Even if each individual model is very fast on the CPU, once they're everywhere, they will consume a significant portion of the frame budget

Later in the interview it is mentioned that netplay uses a different motion classification method than local play, because they can't wait for all the motion inputs to be collected before they need to respond. Rollback netcode is built on the idea that you predict player actions, and then roll back when you have updated state. Player action prediction is exactly the sort of thing that tensor cores could accelerate.

You would likely want to use a model that takes player's previous actions as inputs, but that isn't training.

AI pathfinding is a problem made for deep learning. As good as modern pathfinding is (and it's mostly pretty good!), it bogs down as enemy numbers increase and still depends on navigation meshes (even if those meshes are automatically generated from scene geometry).
Yes to all of those. Just one question: how much of those problem spaces do you have at once in a game?
I just feel like you would need to force it to get to a place where Tensor Cores really make a tangible difference for gameplay.
I dont see it in mainstream games at all. Some niche genres, experimental games, simulation based genres...yes.

And im not against usecases. If developers have ideas , YEAH!
And except some games like the Warriors Series or something like DayZ .. do we need many more enemies? And from there, you get to a point where path finding is less of the problem, since they are moving more like a mass, so you need essentially a handfull of paths, and the rest is more swarm behavior.

that reminds me, remember Hyperscape? turns out it was good for something!

As much as I want Switch 2 to be released Q4 of this year, Nintendo really has no need to, and it might end up hurting their overall switch 1 sales. They can survive from Splatoon 2 and Pokemon (and any unannounced games) during the holidays.

If they want to maximize current switch model sales, it's best to reveal Switch 2/Drske next year in January, if they are aiming for a spring release with Botw 2.

As much as I want Switch 2 to be released Q4 of this year, Nintendo really has no need to, and it might end up hurting their overall switch 1 sales. They can survive from Splatoon 2 and Pokemon (and any unannounced games) during the holidays.

If they want to maximize current switch model sales, it's best to reveal Switch 2/Drske next year in January, if they are aiming for a spring release with Botw 2.
When you have a 100m + install base it becomes more about selling software than hardware for Nintendo profits.

Yes to all of those. Just one question: how much of those problem spaces do you have at once in a game?
I just feel like you would need to force it to get to a place where Tensor Cores really make a tangible difference for gameplay.
I dont see it in mainstream games at all. Some niche genres, experimental games, simulation based genres...yes.
In the short term I expect it to be a niche solution. Medium term I expect this to be everywhere mostly because it will be built by default into engines. Unity/Epic have the resources to build models for lots these tasks, and hide them entirely from devs - it won't be about building custom engines that use tensor cores to accelerate game play, it will be around using the hardware to accelerate common tasks. Switch Sports is an example of DL model that is embedded in a total banal part of the game - we're not going to be able to anticipate all the places devs will find uses for it.

And the hardware is gonna be everywhere - NVidia/Intel/AMD have to make matrix math acceleration because it's absolutely necessary for the enterprise sector (I have a giant cluster of NVidia GPUs at my work for this very reason). Design consolidation was important before foundries got backed up and will only become more so - matrix acceleration hardware is going to ship my default in GPUs going forward. Desktops and phones will want this sort of acceleration for basic tasks they already do - Apple runs a massive cloud install eating power 24/7 mostly so that users can set timers. Moving these operations out to the devices is a huge cost win for then, not to mention real time video filters, etc.

Since market forces are going to push these things out to machines, and engine consolidation creates both a constant perf/feature race, I expect this hardware to be leveraged by almost any game.

I thought it was just Switch Sports's development that used machine learning. Surely it doesn't have any in-game?
what they mean is inference. they train the model offline and then the game refers to the model in-game. the issue here is that it doesn't take a lot of resources to refer to the model. hence the lack of need for tensor cores

what they mean is inference. they train the model offline and then the game refers to the model in-game. the issue here is that it doesn't take a lot of resources to refer to the model. hence the lack of need for tensor cores
ah interesting, I thought they had just used the model to set parameters

Nintendo could, in theory, use a tegra Orin developer kits and train different neural networks for different use cases and implement it into different games. Like movement that would function similar to the Wii’s movement input.

Or fine tune the gyro

Or what have you.

By necessity, hardware tends to arrive more or less when it's ready, not at the perfectly minmaxed point in time for it to arrive.

Besides, while they might get more short term profit from people buying Switch 1, building up a Switch 2 install base would be better long term.

By necessity, hardware tends to arrive more or less when it's ready, not at the perfectly minmaxed point in time for it to arrive.

Besides, while they might get more short term profit from people buying Switch 1, building up a Switch 2 install base would be better long term.

I was going to say something similar to your second point. Basically - why are we certain squeezing out an extra holiday of OG Switch sales in the holidays is actually the better outcome for the company? I’d have thought at this stage a revision would have a far more positive outcome.

The audience for an OG Switch purchased at the end of this year (5 years from launch) would probably only somewhat overlap with those wanting to buy a more expensive new device. I’m definitely not in the market for an OG Switch, but I’ll probably sell my OLED for the revision, which drops my device into the used market. Nintendo doesn’t get the hardware sale, but they do get more software sales. Would be plenty of that happening as a result.

New hardware may also see more engagement around the (supposedly) many marquee titles hitting end of year + plenty of glowing headlines around the capability of the device; Just lots of positive buzz on social media. Steam Deck might not be a Switch killer but there’s no doubt it’s performance has had a great impression on the core.

Edit:

key assumption is that they don’t intend to stop promoting and selling OG Switch anytime soon. I still believe it’s going to be a very slow transition to only selling the new hardware - years. OG will just be a less expensive entry point for majority of the system’s content.

It’s also assuming the new hardware is ready and has enough supply for a decent launch

Last edited:
I'm not sure of it, but late console buyers probably don't buy a whole lot of software

Fair enough, but it’s still more software than none. And adopters of the new hardware are definitely more likely to get a few games.

Do you think Nintendo thinks it's ready?
I don't think Nintendo will wait too long for a successor release.

I think there's a higher chance if it releasing with botw 2 vs this fall/winter 2023. By Q4 2023 is not off the cards either, but I hope they don't wait longer than spring..
How funny would it be if we get a ps5 pro or the next Xbox before the next switch.
I don't think it will happen before then. With the chip shortages, it's hard enough as it is finding a PS5 and x series x. The X series x/s and PS5 are currently close to the 15 and 20 million sales mark worldwide. X series x/s actually outsold PS5 by a few thousand in the U.S. Both were above 7 million as of April. Helps that S is much more readily available and $300.

I imagine they will get to 20 and 25 million at their 2 year anniversary. If they get a pro model, I think it will be 2024 at the earliest.

Last edited:
Considering we're just now seeing games exclusive to the series and PS5, pro models ain't coming soon. And when even apple is scaling back upgrades to the soc, you know shit is starting to get expensive

Do you think Nintendo thinks it's ready?
I don't think Nintendo will wait too long for a successor release.

I think there's a higher chance if it releasing with botw 2 vs this fall/winter 2023. By Q4 2023 is not off the cards either, but I hope they don't wait longer than spring..
When the hardware will be ready is largely dictated by things scheduled pretty far in advance. They can only hold it back so long. If the rumors so far are accurate, next Spring is probably a fairly hard limit.

BotW 2 is an appealing option for a launch game, but it's certainly not the only one. It's also important to remember that we probably don't actually know Nintendo's entire fall lineup yet.

How funny would it be if we get a ps5 pro or the next Xbox before the next switch.
Before I'm not sure, but within the same year, it's absolutely possible as I don't see the next switch coming out before 2024, which may be the right time for some pro consoles.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom