• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

In MK11 they reduced the geometry and reduced and redone textures so that they fit well in the port. It's something that most good ports to Switch do.

DQXIS is a great port, but it is not a remake. Of course, between all the extra content and the 2D version, they worked a lot on new content and put a lot of effort into it (and that's what they were referring to in the interview, although word of mouth later created confusion regarding the matter)
I never meant to say remake from the ground up. But what I am saying is they just downpour the game. It was lack of a better term.

I never meant to say remake from the ground up. But what I am saying is they just downpour the game. It was lack of a better term.
Simply, DQXIS is not a unique case, most of the good ports to Switch have a similar optimization work behind them, and many times if it is not highlighted in a GDC interview, in a DF review or in some official article, it is a thing we wouldnt notice because they are made so that you barely notice the difference. Within Square itself, to put it the same company, we also have the case of Life is Strange 3 in which they themselves explain several of the tricks and things that they redid for the switchport.

Personally, I wouldn't call this a remake/remade or a downpour. I would call it good optimization. It is a better term for these cases of very elaborate ports.

And I expect intelligent optimizations for ports to Switch 2, to a lesser extent thanks to the fact that the difference is smaller, but in special cases such as Alan Wake 2, GTA6 or any new CDProyekt game.

Simply, DQXIS is not a unique case, most of the good ports to Switch have a similar optimization work behind them, and many times if it is not highlighted in a GDC interview, in a DF review or in some official article, it is a thing we wouldnt notice because they are made so that you barely notice the difference. Within Square itself, to put it the same company, we also have the case of Life is Strange 3 in which they themselves explain several of the tricks and things that they redid for the switchport.

Personally, I wouldn't call this a remake/remade or a downpour. I would call it good optimization. It is a better term for these cases of very elaborate ports.

And I expect intelligent optimizations for ports to Switch 2, to a lesser extent thanks to the fact that the difference is smaller, but in special cases such as Alan Wake 2, GTA6 or any new CDProyekt game.
I find it interesting that they use the word "comparable" and we've been debating here what "comparable" means when people use that term.
I think this is also a good example of what comparable is.

I will be curious to see how Unreal 5 works on Switch 2 as Nanite is extremely impressive on theoretical hardware with theoretical software, but has been brutal performance wise in actually existing titles.

Lumen has also largely struggled to hit 60 FPS in actual existing PS5 games even for games with very low asset quality.

I will be curious to see how Unreal 5 works on Switch 2 as Nanite is extremely impressive on theoretical hardware with theoretical software, but has been brutal performance wise in actually existing titles.

Lumen has also largely struggled to hit 60 FPS in actual existing PS5 games even for games with very low asset quality.
Is better to use sometimes their own Raytracing technique if you can made one. UE Lumen at this date is far away to be a good idea if you are developing for consoles, probably Epic is trying to fix it

Okay lemme ask the real question here: are we getting a Bayonetta 3 switch 2 patch? Because that game looks rough. I love it but cmon, they only had 1 target hardware.

Anyway, the actual real question is, assuming it happens, which games do you think Nintendo will go back and patch besides the usual Zelda TOTK? Only 10m+ sellers or games that need it the most like Bayo3?
What about Bayo3 is rought?

And I'd rather those resources be spent on Bayo4 and Astral Chain 2.

Okay lemme ask the real question here: are we getting a Bayonetta 3 switch 2 patch? Because that game looks rough. I love it but cmon, they only had 1 target hardware.

Anyway, the actual real question is, assuming it happens, which games do you think Nintendo will go back and patch besides the usual Zelda TOTK? Only 10m+ sellers or games that need it the most like Bayo3?
Bayo3
TotK
Xeno3

What about Bayo3 is rought?

And I'd rather those resources be spent on Bayo4 and Astral Chain 2.
I'd love them to do both but you know, it doesn't hurt to think about it.

Bayo 3 had very bad framerate (not like any bayo has perfect fps but Bayo3 suffers from it the most, not bayo ps3 levels at least but still). The textures were also very low resolution, and it looks considerably worse than Bayo 2. Not sure if Bayo 2 actually had better resolution textures but at least it manages to hide them better in any case.

I'm not expecting anything, that's right not a single game beyond BotW and TotK and that's only because the next Zelda won't be out until maybe 2028

My guess is that after TOTK, the next cab off the rank will be Mario Wonder. Just sounds like a game they would want to keep relevant going into the next gen. Beyond that, things could go either way.

Doubt it. NieR: Automata never got a next-gen patch for the PS5 despite the success of that title, so I don't imagine PlatinumGames doing one for Bayonetta 3.

I'd love them to do both but you know, it doesn't hurt to think about it.

Bayo 3 had very bad framerate (not like any bayo has perfect fps but Bayo3 suffers from it the most, not bayo ps3 levels at least but still). The textures were also very low resolution, and it looks considerably worse than Bayo 2. Not sure if Bayo 2 actually had better resolution textures but at least it manages to hide them better in any case.

Yeah, Bayo 2 looks and performs way better than Bayo 3. Not sure what happened there.
1440p30fps will be the standard for most Nintendo first party games in docked mode.(I'm not expecting 60fps)

Hmm? If Nintendo continues their FPS targets for most of their games from the GC days and beyond, we will definitely have a ton of 60 fps Nintendo games. Hell, I'm almost positive that there are more 60 fps Switch/Wii U/Wii/GC games than 30 fps ones.

FWIW, here's what I can find for Nintendo first-party developed titles on the Switch (that is, EPD, Retro, NST, NLG, and Monolith). Doesn't necessarily indicate what they'll do on the Switch 2, but I think it at least gives some idea of the scenarios in which they'd choose frame rate over resolution, and vice versa.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 900p30
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 1080p60
ARMS - 1080p60
Splatoon 2 - dynamic 900-1080p60
Super Mario Odyssey - dynamic 720-1080p60
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 720p30
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 1080p60
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 1080p60
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 1080p60
Super Mario Maker 2 - 900p60 or 1080p60 depending on gameplay style
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 1080p30
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 1080p30
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - 720p30
Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 720p30 (SM64), 1080p30 (Sunshine), 1080p60 (Galaxy)
Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 720p30
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 1080p60 (SM3W), 720p60 (BF)
Metroid Dread - 900p60
Mario Strikers: Battle League - 1080p60
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 720p30
Splatoon 3 - dynamic 900-1080p60
Metroid Prime Remastered - 900p60
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 900p30
Pikmin 4 - 900p30
Pikmin 1+2 - 1080p30
Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 1080p60
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - 1080p60

Bowser's Fury, interestingly, retains 720p in handheld while instead dropping the framerate to 30fps. No other Nintendo game does that, AFAIK.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom