• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Forspoken Discussion Thread

merp

Darknut
Banned
Pronouns
He/him

Pog.

But also:

I feel like the only one that is genuinely interested in this game and wants it to succeed, at the very least.

Plus, like, all the backlash to this game is racist, I swear to God.

Like, there isn't a single comment against this game that doesn't reek of racism or sexism.

No offense to you if you're just not interested; I guess I'm talking about the crowd that hangs out in the IGN comments.

I want this game to succeed. When I saw this game originally revealed under the name Project Athia, I thought it looked amazing.

The art style and overall graphical presentation looked fantastic, combined with what was presented as an interesting protagonist.

I was quite excited for the game, until i played the demo. I had heard a lot of negative feelings towards it but went in with an open mind. However the controls felt off, and the constant one liners from the two protagonists were sending me into cringe overload. It was as if they were recorded in a vacuum, with no context to them. If you're going to give us constant one liners, at least put some gusto behind them IMO. I had to turn off the demo when the character exclaimed "put that in your pipe and smoke it".

I saw they've updated the demo, so I reinstalled it last night with a view to giving it another shot... but my overall thoughts from the demo were that this is sadly going to end up quite mediocre. I really hope I'm wrong as I would love square to have another win outside of final fantasy

I guess I'm talking about the crowd that hangs out in the IGN comments
Well there’s your mistake haha

I think the dialogue and writing displayed so far have been somewhat terrible, but the gameplay looks hella fun. I really love playing as mages and Forspoken is the biggest budget magic-focused action adventure game we’ve had.

However I’ve also tempered my expectations based on what people have said about the demo. Definitely waiting for an ACG review of the full game or something before I get it. (Well… I’ll get it when I get a PS5, anyhow)

Well there’s your mistake haha

I think the dialogue and writing displayed so far have been somewhat terrible, but the gameplay looks hella fun. I really love playing as mages and Forspoken is the biggest budget magic-focused action adventure game we’ve had.

However I’ve also tempered my expectations based on what people have said about the demo. Definitely waiting for an ACG review of the full game or something before I get it. (Well… I’ll get it when I get a PS5, anyhow)
On another note, are there any good game communities besides this one or a few others?

I'm not flexing right now for clout, but this is so far the only really good one, or at least the best one, without the right-wing nonsense that comes with a gaming community.

On another note, are there any good game communities besides this one or a few others?
Unfortunately I don’t really know of any. I hang around Reddit but only on game specific or subgenre specific subreddits, where the discussion tends to be more nuanced, and even then for those smaller subreddits they can tend to become echo chambers.

Other forums I used to visit are… not the best

I want the game to succeed too, but I'll admit that Square Enix have fumbled the bag quite a bit when it came to how this game's been marketed. From having showcases of the game where the two main chars won't be quiet (thankfully, in-game options exist to tone that down) to its most recent demo, where the most flattering thing that can be said is that "a lot of people were playing it wrong" (but the game doesn't do a lot to teach you either).

It reeks of just yet another example of how SE's PR and marketing wings just don't know how to market their own shit, to the point that they often sabotage themselves. And as a survivor of the "CHAOS!" that ensued with how Strangers of Paradise was handled from its initial reveal at E3, to the fiasco that ensued when its first demo was PS5-only and non-functional for a week, I really, REALLY hope that they get it together.

As a longtime lurker of the popular gaming forums, I either see too much negativity around any releases not coming to certain platforms, or too much focus on whether a game will sell in one country or not. I couldn't care less if a game sells well in a country I don't live in as a barometer of whether a game is important or not. Forspoken has a lot of negativity after the demo, but I hope it does good. I will be eyeing impressions from users here!

Unfortunately I don’t really know of any. I hang around Reddit but only on game specific or subgenre specific subreddits, where the discussion tends to be more nuanced, and even then for those smaller subreddits they can tend to become echo chambers.

Other forums I used to visit are… not the best
Forums basically died out after the 2000s and have made a bit of a revival recently, but only a bit.

Still, they can be pretty toxic when it comes to gaming, or eventually turned out that way.

Speaking of which, I hear neocities is making a comeback; blast from the past, I gotta say.

I definitely wasn't aware there was an option to tone down some of the character chatter, so I'm looking forward to giving that a go.

I definitely wasn't aware there was an option to tone down some of the character chatter, so I'm looking forward to giving that a go.
A lot of games nowadays have "accessibility" and "tweaking" options, compared to how they were over 10 years ago, before I stopped playing video games.

The game could be good but the demo did an awful job, in my opinion, of getting people excited. It simultaneously provided too much and too little. I like the concept of an entirely magic based character but I am getting very generic vibes from the structure of the game. I will still check reviews out, though.

Staff Communication
Hey folks, please feel free to continue discussing the game! However, discussions about how other communities conduct themselves is not really pertinent to the game itself. Please refrain from commenting on other communities and forums.

-Derachi, Red Monster, PixelKnight

Last edited:
I've been interested in the game since reveal a couple years ago, but the demo... Did not have the best first impression. After a few hours of playing the demo though, I did find some fun in the traversal and combat, however, the enemies in that area were very spongy with their health.

Plus it does have a black woman as a lead character so that always gets my interest immediately lol. I'll get it later on with a steep discount.

Staff Communication
Hey folks, please feel free to continue discussing the game! However, discussions about how other communities conduct themselves is not really pertinent to the game itself. Please refrain from commenting on other communities and forums.

-Derachi, Red Monster, PixelKnight
(y)(y)

My apologies. Sure thing, and thank you.

I would like it to be good, but unfortunately Action games that arnt shooters have to be VERY polished for me to have enjoyment as i have a large preference towards turnbased games and shooters.

What I have seen doesnt look fun and there was no demo on PC so 🤷

I would like it to be good, but unfortunately Action games that arnt shooters have to be VERY polished for me to have enjoyment as i have a large preference towards turnbased.

What I have seen doesnt look fun and there was no demo on PC so 🤷
I do like the traversal mechanic, from what I've seen, but I haven't tried the demo, tbh.

I'm strongly considering this as I really liked XV, in spite of everything. I tried the demo but wasn't really feeling it however I think part of that is that you have a lot of spells to start with rather than building them naturally.

That said, I am not a fan of the cuff dialogue so happily muted it in the accessibility options. Jury is still out on the story, as I couldn't get much of that from the demo.

I should also add, after playing the demo, I really don't think there's any other game that plays quite like this one. It feels closer to something like Returnal than XV which I wasn't expecting. It definitely feels experimental which is a rarity in the AAA space imo.

Like, there isn't a single comment against this game that doesn't reek of racism or sexism.

No offense to you if you're just not interested; I guess I'm talking about the crowd that hangs out in the IGN comments.
I’m excited for a square Enix IP that actually has a women of color as a lead. Sucks that it doesn’t seem like the game will be highly rated but I hope they take this mindset for future Final Fantasy games!

This game was high on my list when it was announced back in 2020. Playing as a magical player (and a POC none the less) seemed like an easy no brainer. That plus it was announced as a PS5 exclusive so last gen consoles wouldn't hold it back.

Unfortunately, Square has done a terrible job showing off this game. The first gameplay showcase was rather boring and uneventful. The open world felt empty and the game didn't see all that exciting. Now, the more recent showings have been much better and it is clear that the delays helped the game, but the demo didn't seem to win a lot of people over. I didn't hate the demo personally, but it didn't completely sell me either.

I'm hoping that this game has good reviews and a good wom. It would be nice to see this game succeed.

It doesn't make me nervous, I just know the writing will be terrible lol.
It's sad that gaming is still barely catching up to where superhero comics were in the 1960s and 70s, when it comes to black rep. And obviously, still have far to go when it comes to inclusion in the writer's room and directors/producers' chairs.

But as I was insinuating in the other topic, until we get more black voices in all aspects of gaming, it's all I can do but to try and lift up that which I can, constructively critique so they can do better next time, and continue to ask for more. We ain't gonna get more of the likes of Spider-Man Miles Morales, Deathlooper and Forspoken just by wishing for it.

I should also add, after playing the demo, I really don't think there's any other game that plays quite like this one. It feels closer to something like Returnal than XV which I wasn't expecting. It definitely feels experimental which is a rarity in the AAA space imo.
Yeah, i havent played the demo, but it is a new ip, it seems to try its own thing.
The fact that no black writers were on the game's development team makes me nervous.
while it obviously would be better (seeing how it relies on cliches), there where good stories written by people that where not the same ethnicity.
Here it just seems as if the writing is bad AND cliched.
i mean, being an orphan and angry... isn't that also an shonen lead cliche?
but yeah, they really don't seem sensitive in that area...

still, it is a black lead in a new ip, not just a raceswap.
i see that as a win, and hope there is a lot of constructive criticism and through that growth in future projects.

Nah, I tried the demo and it's just kind of a shit game.

Eagerly awaiting reviews! Haven't been this on the fence about something in years. Probably a good sign that they're doing something different.

reviews are out

Frankly, I find it puzzling that the story of all things seems to be one of the game's big weaknesses. Amy Hennig's pedigree is great, just what happened there?

I also think that for (Japanese) publishers the lection out of this will be "don't try to have a non-Asian/non-white main character, it's more trouble than it's worth and no one will give you the tiniest bit of credit what for you tried", which is unfortunate, too.

Glad to see lots of solid impressions for this game. Not surprising to see this game in particular have critics treat it extra harshly, but I'm excited to take the PS5 out of the closest and hook it up for a few days.

Frankly, I find it puzzling that the story of all things seems to be one of the game's big weaknesses. Amy Hennig's pedigree is great, just what happened there?

I also think that for (Japanese) publishers the lection out of this will be "don't try to have a non-Asian/non-white main character, it's more trouble than it's worth and no one will give you the tiniest bit of credit what for you tried", which is unfortunate, too.
Amy Hennig didn't actually write the dialogue. It was a team of writers with Hollywood TV experience. None of them Black.

Godspeed to anyone who tries to play it

From early trailers to the new gameplay I've watched this past week, it wreaks of a half-baked concept that stayed in development too long so a committee tried to make whatever game they could out of it. The parkour has always looked cool but everything around it looked stale.

eurogamer's video review is a good deal different from the written review. but goddamn, the game's pacing seems wack in this game. like Pokemon Sun and Moon wack

ACG review for Forspoken. His verdict: wait for a deep, deep sale.

I recommend watching the video, but here’s some stuff he pointed out that are of most interest to me:
  • Movement: a little loose and floaty, but it’s nice to zip around
  • Combat: mindless due to weak enemy design, others might have fun with playing around with the spells though he thinks it takes too long to build up enough spells to mix and match, the feel of the combat is not as tight as he would have liked, lock on sometimes changes targets just because
  • Gear: vague descriptions, minor stat changes that don’t have appreciable effects
  • Open world: Cluttered map. Collectibles seem haphazardly plopped onto the world, especially the mana bubbles you need for your skills. Some locales are gorgeous
  • Story: terrible, apparently our lead girl stays “a pissy teenager” for the entire game, lots of juvenile swearing, Cuff “is the best example of a character talking a lot without actually saying anything meaningful”, clunky exposition

lots of juvenile swearing
Ugh. I feel like a lot of media has this nowadays. Yes. swearing seems to be less taboo than years ago, but I feel like a lot of games, movies and TV shows have random F-bombs sprinkled in sentences where it sounds completely forced and completely ruins the flow of the sentence/dialog. I don't mind swearing, but at least make it have an impact or go with the sentence flow

I am not surprised at the reviews since i saw the massive downgrade the game got.

I swear that girl was zendaya lmao

Back
Top Bottom