• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports Formula 1 |ST| And It's Lights Out and Away We Go

congrats to max and red bull for winning the 2023 WDC and WCC.

congrats to nando on the podium and AM for making a decent car.

congrats to ferrari for yet again being a clown show. but at least they arenā€™t as embarrassing as mclaren. or ocon.

The Alonso hype is distracting somewhat from what a colossal disaster this result is.

F1's biggest and most marketable star giving up on the season after one race? His teammate saying Red Bull should win every race "easily" and that Mercedes may just punt on this season? That's a disaster. Max being able to cruise to victory without having to push, without strategy or racecraft, without getting to see what truly makes him great - that's a disaster.

I've been a fan since 1996 but I'm not hardcore. If the season isn't competitive, I turn it off. I'd wager the majority of fans are like me. There were entire Vettel years I missed entirely. This looks like this year (and maybe next?) could be the same. Right when DTS brought so many new fans in, this is the last thing the sport needs.

At least because of Aston Martin overtaking Mercedes it has become very, very obvious what the issue is now. RB's Adrian Newey is a ground-effect genius by all accounts, which is the core part of the aero under the new regs. Aston Martin, who are shit, hire Newey's protege/underling Dan Fallows from RB and suddenly have a shocking, sudden jump of apparently 2s per lap - an unheard of advance, placing them ahead of the team they buy a bunch of their parts from. It's obvious that Fallows brought over a good bit of Newey's secret sauce with him. And that basically, without it, all teams are fucked.

The best money any team could spend is paying whatever it takes to get a competent aero engineer from Red Bull and ask what the hell they're doing with their floor. But even then, you're just copying Newey's previous work, and Red Bull actually have Newey to make new advancements. It all feels like a lost cause.

Fuck, this sucks so much.

"But the midfield battle will be awesome!" Yes it will. Enjoy it! I'll be doing one of my other ten hobbies.

Don't even talk to me about McLaren.

The day after the first race might not be the time for kneejerk reactions and crowning champions already, but if George Russell is doing it then I can do it too. The only positive thing that came out of the race yesterday was Alonso's podium; everything else was either a net-negative or didn't move the needle. All you can do if you aren't a RBR / Max fan is hope and pray that the punitive restrictions they're facing as the season goes on are enough to allow Ferrari, Mercedes, and I guess Aston Martin (who, it must be said again, are shit, like Heron said) to catch up even just a little bit.

It's interesting and also depressing that the new regulations that were developed to encourage closer racing have worked a treat, while at the same time producing a team that has the potential to be the most dominant force the sport has ever seen.

Happy for Checo's second, the best outcome available for him having Verstappen in....in the sport really.

Hopefully he can keep up and have some new GP wins under his resume. I'm fine with RBR complete dominance this season as much as some in here may disagree šŸ™ˆ

So Ferrari's head concept / head aerodynamicist David Sanchez has resigned (or been forced out, you never know with resignations). Indicates that they're miles off the pace. Bad vibes coming out of Ferrari. And it was so promising at the start of last year, that's what kills me...

But boy, it's like Red Bull's pace detonated a nuke in the paddock. Their rivals appear distraught, firing people, giving up on the season... haven't seen anything like this for some time.

Some people have stopped saying "this season's a lost cause" and started on to "the next three seasons are lost causes". I think that's absurdly premature - and I don't think RB win every race this year either - but it ain't good.

I welcomed plenty of aspects about the new set of rules, but one has to wonder if 2022 and 2023 would have been more competitive if they had kept the 2021 formula.

I mean, after a long while of Mercedes domination we finally had a thriller of a season with two teams duking it out until the very end. Then they change the rules to, among other things, increase competitiveness and they end up falling into another period of potential one-sided domination.

Nevertheless, I will be tuning in to keep track of what shenanigans Alonso will pull off with that Aston. I hope their crew can keep up with the development race.

Max out in Q2 with a mechanical, starting P15 tomorrow. This just got tasty.

Heā€™s still gonna win tomorrow, isnā€™t he

what a terrible day for the sport. a brutal race from start to finish. one stops killed the racing, P3 16 seconds behind P2, Nando losing the podium to Russell thanks to a post-race penalty. awful.

what a terrible day for the sport. a brutal race from start to finish. one stops killed the racing, P3 16 seconds behind P2, Nando losing the podium to Russell thanks to a post-race penalty. awful.
As a Mexican, I disagree!

As a Mexican, I disagree!
Checo Perez pulling a 2016 Nico is our only hope at this season not being a complete waste of time.

I like Checo a lot, but I donā€™t know if heā€™s got what it takes to take it to VER for an entire season.

This thread is like the ARAMCO power rankings, not matter how good Checo performs, they are always like "meh".

Happy for Checo again, very happy and proud, hopefully he will have more wins this season all things considered (asshole team member who is also the best driver in the sport currently)

Also , FUCK Jos Verstappen.

this just popped up in my youtube feed. pretty cool perspective! these cars are probably unbelievable in real life.

DRS zone map for Australia. 4 DRS zones and two detection zones. Is it just me or is having a DRS zone going into 9 and 10 nuts?

OKJWJZ-IQbkBX_sFBQ5RdgOO57NZbPCraslQXWQ3JTU.png

The race is on at 1am tonight, and thereā€™s no way Iā€™m staying up for it. Max is gonna be two seconds ahead by the time DRS is activated, bet. Ferrari is gonna languish and Iā€™m gonna hate it. Just ugh all the way around.

What a farce! I thought I was watching a sport, not a drama series. I hope FIA gets some serious repercussions from this, their decision-making in favour of entertainment is absolutely disgusting

I finally caught up with the race and jeezalou, what an embarrassment. After Charles got punted three corners in, I should have just turned it off. Good grief. How many times are we going to have drama because no one has any idea what the rules are?

Stayed up until 3.30am to watch that and now suffering on Monday lol.

They really, really need to sort out rules confusion - and I wasn't convinced that all of those were worthy of red flags.

But I thought the whole "a standing start with two laps left is unsafe" argument was BS. After a red flag, you get a standing start. And it's the job of these professional drivers to race clean - no matter how much is at stake. The fact that they all lost their minds gunning for points is 100% not on the FIA.

The continued confusion around rules during/after every race. That IS on them. And they need to fix it.

Stayed up until 3.30am to watch that and now suffering on Monday lol.

They really, really need to sort out rules confusion - and I wasn't convinced that all of those were worthy of red flags.

But I thought the whole "a standing start with two laps left is unsafe" argument was BS. After a red flag, you get a standing start. And it's the job of these professional drivers to race clean - no matter how much is at stake. The fact that they all lost their minds gunning for points is 100% not on the FIA.

The continued confusion around rules during/after every race. That IS on them. And they need to fix it.
The end of the race was a total farce. It was Abu Dhabi 21 Part 2, only this time there wasnā€™t the weight of deciding a championship to complicate things.

Changing topics, I found this post on Reddit that does a great job at showing just how huge the gap between RBR and everyone else really is:

We have a new sprint weekend format:

apzs3scqc3wa1.jpg

Sprints will no longer set the grid for Sundays. A good change as far as I'm concerned!

Looks like the best I can hope for tomorrow is a podium for Leclerc. RBR just has too much pace for Ferrari to be able to fight for an entire race distance.

Glad that Checo won, but damn I'm also glad I didn't wake up at 5 am for it.

Race was kinda boring and the sprint races kinda strange in this circuit. But very glad for ChecoĀ“s win and although he got a little bit lucky with the SC i believe he legit won against Verstappen.

Hopefully he can repeat the win next week, street Checo is best Checo.

Red Bull is so biased for Max that it makes me sick.

edit: iā€™ll admit that max won that race today on merit - he was flying on those old hards. but still, the favoritism coming from that team is overwhelming

Last edited:
The race wasn't as bad as I expected, but, yeah, save for a massive disaster, we already know who's going to win pretty much every race this season.

I hope I am proven wrong down the line, but that doesn't seem very likely.

What is happening with Ferrari this year? What a terrible start for Leclerc...

I really hope Aston will reach RB in the next races, a Max vs. Fernando direct battle would be awesome.

Last edited:
Red Bull is so biased for Max that it makes me sick.

edit: iā€™ll admit that max won that race today on merit - he was flying on those old hards. but still, the favoritism coming from that team is overwhelming

As a Checo fan; I agree and i believe that I speak for every Checo fan out there as well.

Yes, we all know that Max is the better driver and that he is RB big investment on the long run and that they need to take care Verstappen's childish tantrums and ego . But Jesus, they need to tone down the favoritism a little bit, it is disgusting to see.

this race has seen some interesting tire choices, but here comes the rain to shake things up even more

Verstappen winning every time got so boring. Being from the Netherlands it was fun for a brief period, but after a while it became kinda ridiculous. Let there be competition for goodness' sake.

Back
Top Bottom