• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports Formula 1 |ST| And It's Lights Out and Away We Go

Red Monster

Mr. Noodle
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
F1-2018-Logo.webp

🏁 Welcome to the Famiboards Formula 1 Thread 🏁

What is Formula 1?

F1 is the premier motorsport. With half a billion fans, F1 is one of the most popular sports in the world. Ten teams each design and build their own cars to compete in races on five continents. Each team is made up of two drivers, plus hundreds of mechanics, engineers, and strategists. Formula 1 cars are the fastest road racing cars in the world, capable of reaching speeds as high as 370km/h (230mph), and are able to achieve very high cornering speeds thanks to the downforce generated by the cars' aerodynamic elements.

1151798466.jpg

2019 Monaco Grand Prix

2022 Results
2022 saw the most significant change in aerodynamic regulations in decades, with cars now generating most of their downforce via ground effect rather than from their aerodynamic elements such as wings. The start of the season saw Ferrari off to a fantastic start, but dodgy reliability and questionable strategy calls spelled the end of their championship hopes. Red Bull Racing ended up dominating the constructor's championship, with Max Verstappen winning the driver's championship for the second year in a row.
2022 Constructor's Standings said:

2022 Driver's Standings said:

2023 Calendar

skysports-f1-calendar-2023-5983621.png

Resources

F1TV
F1's streaming platform. Stream races live, access to full race replays, an archive of races going back decades, and lots of original programming.

Chain Bear F1
A YouTube channel dedicated to explaining the technical elements of F1 using easy-to-understand animations.

Shift F1 Podcast
A weekly show that does news and race reviews. Their yearly F1 Primer episodes are great for people who are new to the sport.

Missed Apex Podcast
Another weekly show that does news, race reviews, and interviews with F1 journalists and personalities. It's my personal favorite F1 show!

Beyond the Grid
An official F1 podcast that focuses on in-depth interviews with drivers and team principals.

Netflix's Drive to Survive
Now going into its fifth season, Drive to Survive is a dramatic retelling of a full season of Formula 1. The show has been a major force in bringing new viewers to the sport over the past few years.

Unless Mercedes manage to turn things around, it will be another relatively painless win for Red Bull. Ferrari just haven't been consistent enough, and even under new management, I don't see that changing anytime soon either.

Very nice thread! I’ve caught some F1 in the past since it’s fairly adjacent to IndyCar, and I live within walking distance of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which has done some F1 events as well.

Now that the OP is finished, I can use this space to proclaim my undying love for Charles Leclerc and Ferrari too I guess.

I can't wait to get my heart broken again this year!

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the thread!

I'm partial to Alfa Romeo, Bottas and Zhou are such a good pairing.

Really looking forward to this season. After two years of rooting for Max, I'll be rooting for anyone BUT Max this year. So hopefully the other teams pick up the slack.

I'm nominally a McLaren fan, so I hope they're closer to the front this year. It'll be interesting to see whether Piastri was worth all the fuss with Alpine. I expect Lando to give him a good kicking early on. Lando is well-respected but I still think he's underrated.

Hoping for a more competitive Merc for Lewis' sake - while I won't be rooting for Mercedes an old legend like Lewis deserves a competitive car. And lastly, it will be interesting to see if Ferrari's chronic incompetence is solved under a new team principle. Last year's car was promising, after all (and fucking gorgeous, too).

Most of all, in this second year of the new aero rules I just hope teams have caught up a bit and the field is more tightly bunched. It's such an irony that I was desperate for the new rules to be introduced to add competition, and devastated when Covid delayed them a year. That year became the most exciting in history, and the year they introduced the new rules was a 2nd-half snoozefest. No predicting F1 I guess.

Also - people mad that RB never changes their livery. It's functionally perfect, so why should they? It's iconic.

It wasn't that long ago where there was no American even on the calendar and popularity in the states was lukewarm. Now there are three events across the country throughout the year. Incredible.

I can't wait to see how the Vegas race plays out.

Here cheering for Checo as always. I don't see him beating Verstappen any time soon but hopefully he can take a solid 2nd place on the championship this time and getting a few new GP wins along the way.

Here's hoping Mercedes can put together a car that's good enough for Hamilton to make a run at title number eight.

For a brand with such incredible marketing stunts, Red Bull sure likes to keep it boring when it comes to their F1 livery.

I really liked the Alfa.

That McLaren is almost unspeakably hideous. Hopefully that means it's fast.

Alpha Tauri looks amazing, though. Those red accents push the whole thing to a new level.

That McLaren is almost unspeakably hideous. Hopefully that means it's fast.

Alpha Tauri looks amazing, though. Those red accents push the whole thing to a new level.
Not a fan of the AT, I think it looks like a blue Haas.

The McLaren is definitely, uh, eye-catching. To say the least.

Do we have any new information about how the new cars are performing? Have we had any new information about the big three? Is Maclaren finally catching them?

Do we have any new information about how the new cars are performing? Have we had any new information about the big three? Is Maclaren finally catching them?
I think they’ve raised the minimum floor height this year to combat the vicious bouncing we saw last year. That should help Mercedes. As for most everything else, we’ll get our first real look at the cars during testing, which I think is next week? Don’t expect McLaren or any other midfield teams to suddenly be mixing it up with the top three, though.

I feel like the thing that matters most in these reveals is whether Mercedes stick with their no-sidepod design. Everyone else appears to have converged on Red Bull or Ferrari's proven design paradigms, so if Merc go it alone it'll mean something very, very good or very, very bad for their season.

Hopefully with an extra year to develop around the new rules (and see what worked for other teams) the gap between aero packages is less this year, and teams struggle less with porpoising. Of course, the teams with strong in-house engines are going to retain the advantage, but hopefully the aero gap shrinks and the field gets closer together.

Prefer last year's Ferrari to this year's, but both are gorgeous. The new aero rules certainly delivered cooler cars. Go back and look at the vacuum cleaners they were driving back in 2015-2020 (particularly 2018). Can't believe anyone ever defended that front-end look!

the bare carbon is gorgeous. It's one of the best-looking race cars I've ever seen.

Interesting that they've gone with the zero sidepods design again.

the bare carbon is gorgeous. It's one of the best-looking race cars I've ever seen.

Interesting that they've gone with the zero sidepods design again.
Huh, I find the all-bare-carbon design to be really bland and ugly. Worst livery so far this year.

The W11 was a black racecar done right with all the fine detail and some red accents. This looks more like someone forgot to add the rest of the livery.

But as you say, what matters is the sidepod design. The air intakes actually look considerably larger this year - less like the car melted - but it's definitely the same general aero idea.

It's TEST WEEK!

From Autosport:

When is F1's 2023 pre-season testing?

• Bahrain F1 pre-season test: 23-25 February 2023

Day 1: Thursday 23 February 7am-4:30pm GMT (10am-7.30pm local time)
Day 2: Friday 24 February 7am-4:30pm GMT (10am-7.30pm local time)
Day 3: Saturday 25 February 7am-4:30pm GMT (10am-7.30pm local time)

F1 is holding just one pre-season test this year, having split two tests between Barcelona and Bahrain at the start of the new rules era, meaning each team has just three days of on-track action to get up to speed before the first round.

Bahrain’s selection as the pre-season test venue allows F1 teams to enjoy track action in representative hot, dry and sunny conditions while also keeping costs and environmental concerns in check by minimising travel and logistics challenges because the track also hosts the opening race one week later.

Can I watch pre-season testing?

F1 will broadcast the entire Bahrain test on Sky Sports F1 in the United Kingdom and Ireland, plus on F1 TV in territories where it is available.

• Bahrain F1 test: 23-25 February
  • Channels: Sky Sports F1 (UK and Ireland only)
  • Start time: 6:50am GMT, each day 23-25 February

That stat that the leader in FP2 times on the first weekend has won every title since 2017 is amazing. Let's go Fernando!
i’ve moved on from “anybody but lewis” to “anybody but max”*. so i’d be on board for nando to win one more!

*anybody but carlos, that is. if ferrari win the championship but it’s not charles that wins the driver’s i will be very unhappy

Great qualifying.

Everyone is close.

Edit: man, what a horrible way to finish the qualifying.

The same of last year with red bull even better. The only difference is Aston Martin taking point from Mercedes.

Last edited:
kinda of anticlimactic, wasn’t it? i just hope this isn’t the start of max driving away with it.

charles didn’t seem too happy with ferrari’s idea to save tires for the race

Back
Top Bottom