• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes |ST| You Won't Pass Musou Exams by Just Button Mashing

For the best result in this game, you've unfortunately got to embrace the grind. I don't mind personally as I enjoy playing random missions and keeping all my characters sufficiently levelled up, but if you're charging ahead from story mission to story mission I can see how people would begin to struggle.

I'm coming to the end of my Golden Wildfire run and I'm beginning to feel this is the best Nintendo Warriors game yet. It contains all the great systems from the first FE Warriors but has a much more engaging story with much more concise systems, despite the grind (and other Warrior games were pretty grindy too). I guess I'll need to try another route to see if my opinion holds up.

For the best result in this game, you've unfortunately got to embrace the grind. I don't mind personally as I enjoy playing random missions and keeping all my characters sufficiently levelled up, but if you're charging ahead from story mission to story mission I can see how people would begin to struggle.

I'm coming to the end of my Golden Wildfire run and I'm beginning to feel this is the best Nintendo Warriors game yet. It contains all the great systems from the first FE Warriors but has a much more engaging story with much more concise systems, despite the grind (and other Warrior games were pretty grindy too). I guess I'll need to try another route to see if my opinion holds up.
Yeah,this is the thing, the original FEW was also very grindy, the only difference was that the quest missions were separated in the history mode while this time they integrate them within the story (and the same was for HW). Thankfully there are less materials than the previous ones and don't depend on enemy drops so its easier now. The only thing I'm missing are the arena missions, would be interesting if they added via dlc or updates

"You've missed the opportunity to deepen this bond"

Oh, great. One of my least favorite things in FE returns.
And sometimes it doesn't even make sense, like being able to miss Holst and Claude level C when they always work together because of their position in the alliance

And sometimes it doesn't even make sense, like being able to miss Holst and Claude level C when they always work together because of their position in the alliance
Even if it has to do with certain events, they could just add a subtitle that says "before this happened" or something... I don't see how locking players out benefits anyone.

I focused on the game this weekend and finally finished the golden deer route at 50 hours (and really no grinding, the training works really well to focus on other clasess). Thankfully the NG+ additions will make quicker to play the other routes. Next one is Black Eagles!

Won't go too deep into details, but the paralogue with Dedue and Ingrid FINALLY gave the proper resolution those two really needed after their unsatisfactory A support in Three Houses. Duscur in general is just treated better.

I had been doing one chapter a day for a while, but that's changed to around half a chapter per day since the later chapters add more and more side quests. I think I'm close to finishing one route? Currently have between 40-45 hrs.

The nice thing about recruiting so many units is that I think most will have a jump start in levels on NG+. In the other routes, I hope to spend less money on leveling up.

I had been doing one chapter a day for a while, but that's changed to around half a chapter per day since the later chapters add more and more side quests. I think I'm close to finishing one route? Currently have between 40-45 hrs.

The nice thing about recruiting so many units is that I think most will have a jump start in levels on NG+. In the other routes, I hope to spend less money on leveling up.
Yup, thats the idea in it makes it faster .I started black eagles after golden deer and you can stick the lower lvl units to the leveled up ones and blaze through the the chapters

This ‘noblest noble’ paralogue in Scarlet Blaze is amazing, I lost it at the end where
Hubert, Dorothea, and Hapi show up just to troll them.

So I'm no where near done with a single playthrough but I'm hearing
they deadass end routes with a text crawl and cliffhangers? 40 to 50 hours for a single run and they don't even finish it?

they deadass end routes with a text crawl and cliffhangers? 40 to 50 hours for a single run and they don't even finish it?
The real dynasty warriors experience

I actually started fresh without doing a NG+. Because I'm weird and like the idea of building up my forces organically and getting to witness the story 'as is'...if that makes any sense.

Did the first few chapters of Scarlet Blaze last night and I much prefer its alternate take on how Edelgard rose to power to the mess we got in Three Houses Proper. I mean, she's still hankering for all out war sure, but at least there's some logic to her and her allies actions now.

I actually started fresh without doing a NG+. Because I'm weird and like the idea of building up my forces organically and getting to witness the story 'as is'...if that makes any sense.

Did the first few chapters of Scarlet Blaze last night and I much prefer its alternate take on how Edelgard rose to power to the mess we got in Three Houses Proper. I mean, she's still hankering for all out war sure, but at least there's some logic to her and her allies actions now.
The thing is that's how they planned the game in the first place, they definitely won't let you use characters that are not supposed to be there , even if you recruit them in other routes, I guess the base development could be something but even then you won't get to use the facilites untill they are avaliable in the story. They even reset the goddam tutorials

The timing of the sequel is really interesting. I've been catching up on the supports and when the characters nostagically talk about their monastery time from years ago, anyone who played a ton at launch gets the same sense of nostalgia. I really felt it listening to Dimitri and Sylvain laugh about his bad behaviour when he was at Garreg Mach, when I really did see those support conversations years ago like they mention in-game.

This is a tombstone.

Here lies Samurai Goro.

Dead from buying a bad game.

My dearly beloved, I regret to inform you that I have just learned - at Chapter freaking 12 - that I can never recruit Catherine because of my chosen path.

Mouso'ing with Catherine was the only reason I bought this game.

I have been churning this terrible video game for this purpose, and now I know it was all for nothing.

Please delete all famiboards posters that never let me know this. They are terrible people. RIP.

In all seriousness....what even is the point of this game? You can't even get the characters you want in a single playthrough? Ok, the three house head-of-state characters, sure, but.......seriously? Not even the other goons? That's forgiving that basically no one is unique and just another avatar to do the same little class tree with and all that garbage. I'm just saying - at least let us pick the avatar. If not, then......what's the point?

They even have the balls to tease it out with the stupid Shamar recruitment. Why?

Damn, this game just went from bad to terrible. It's not even good at being fan service.

Hello darkness, my old friend. I've bought a bad video game again.............

cries

This is a tombstone.

Here lies Samurai Goro.

Dead from buying a bad game.

My dearly beloved, I regret to inform you that I have just learned - at Chapter freaking 12 - that I can never recruit Catherine because of my chosen path.

Mouso'ing with Catherine was the only reason I bought this game.

I have been churning this terrible video game for this purpose, and now I know it was all for nothing.

Please delete all famiboards posters that never let me know this. They are terrible people. RIP.

In all seriousness....what even is the point of this game? You can't even get the characters you want in a single playthrough? Ok, the three house head-of-state characters, sure, but.......seriously? Not even the other goons? That's forgiving that basically no one is unique and just another avatar to do the same little class tree with and all that garbage. I'm just saying - at least let us pick the avatar. If not, then......what's the point?

They even have the balls to tease it out with the stupid Shamar recruitment. Why?

Damn, this game just went from bad to terrible. It's not even good at being fan service.

Hello darkness, my old friend. I've bought a bad video game again.............

cries
Here you go my friend

vXZAMdi.jpg

But really, wasn't a common criticism that being able to recruit most students and other members (with some limitations) pretty much made the separation between houses useless. Like "Catherine, Shamir, arm up, we are going to fuck up the church" "Sure boss, just let me pray to seiros and thank Lady Rea for everything she gave us". I still have issues with Petra and Caspar being in the same house considering their past and Marianne, the most religious one in Claude route

Here you go my friend

vXZAMdi.jpg

But really, wasn't a common criticism that being able to recruit most students and other members (with some limitations) pretty much made the separation between houses useless. Like "Catherine, Shamir, arm up, we are going to fuck up the church" "Sure boss, just let me pray to seiros and thank Lady Rea for everything she gave us". I still have issues with Petra and Caspar being in the same house considering their past and Marianne, the most religious one in Claude route
Catherine was never receuitable in Crimson Flower, the only route in the original where you fuck up the church. Shamir is, but her whole deal is that she’s a mercenary who doesn’t have an allegiance to any particular faction beyond what they pay her.

The most egregious class swap to me was always Sylvain, who just drops his childhood friend group immediately for the hot new professor if you pick female Byleth and then ends up going to war against them (that said, of all the Blue Lions I’ve always thought Sylvain would be the one where it makes the most sense for him to fight against the church and the whole crest system).

I just did Bernadetta and Hapi's C Support and that was amazing. Couldn't stop grinning throughout the whole thing.

I'm so happy this game exists. Three Houses was my goty 2019. I loved it's characters, world and story so much, so getting to see everyone again has been a real treat. I assumed that we would never get to see these people again, since Three Houses can't really get a proper sequel, so I really dig what they've done with Three Hopes.

It's nice to have one last new hurrah with the Fodlan crew before the next game comes out. Super excited for that, but I'll miss the Fodlan characters and world. I have faith in Koei Tecmo and Intelligent Systems to make a new cast that I'll love just as much.

So I just finished my first playthrough, I went with the Scarlet Blaze route.

But I feel like I made the wrong decision during the important chapter, so I literally got no answers to any questions in the end LMAO.

So now I'm left wondering if it's better to make a NG+ to replay the route (with all levels and supports intact) and go for the other ending, OR I just reload a save file from the moment the storyline diverges..

Does anyone know which option would be better/more efficient?

Aside from the fact I got 0 answers, I SUPER ENJOYED MY TIME WITH IT!
The fact I could revisit the characters again and see new supports was all that mattered honestly! + Inferno Tracks are amazing.

The characters I was less interested in during Three Houses suddenly jumped up in my favorites list because of this game! Especially Ferdinand rose way higher in my list (and Petra too but she's always been great!)

Anyways, I'll definitely be playing the other two routes as well, BUT my BEagles will always come first. ✌🏽🥺

I just need to figure out how to proceed next. XD

So I just finished my first playthrough, I went with the Scarlet Blaze route.

But I feel like I made the wrong decision during the important chapter, so I literally got no answers to any questions in the end LMAO.

So now I'm left wondering if it's better to make a NG+ to replay the route (with all levels and supports intact) and go for the other ending, OR I just reload a save file from the moment the storyline diverges..

Does anyone know which option would be better/more efficient?

I assume you mean that you killed someone important instead of recruiting them on chapter 10?

I recruited them in my Scarlet Blaze playthrough and... well, you don't get many answers at all either. A few, but most remains a mystery. You only get two additional battles before the final battle (that one isn't changed) and I'm pretty sure they'll be nearly identical for all routes. It's self-contained too so I don't think it really affects the ending much (or at all).

I'd recommend simply doing another route and recruiting them there. I'm pretty sure you'll get 90% similar scenes and story content for the bonus battles even on other routes. I personally don't think it's worth redoing an entire run of Scarlet Blaze just for the tiny amount of additional scenes, but your milleage may vary of course. You could get through pretty fast with the renown items that allow you to skip the skirmishes (you already got the rewards anyway) and just plow through the main stages by keeping the difficulty lower.

I assume you mean that you killed someone important instead of recruiting them on chapter 10?

I recruited them in my Scarlet Blaze playthrough and... well, you don't get many answers at all either. A few, but most remains a mystery. You only get two additional battles before the final battle (that one isn't changed) and I'm pretty sure they'll be nearly identical for all routes. It's self-contained too so I don't think it really affects the ending much (or at all).

I'd recommend simply doing another route and recruiting them there. I'm pretty sure you'll get 90% similar scenes and story content for the bonus battles even on other routes. I personally don't think it's worth redoing an entire run of Scarlet Blaze just for the tiny amount of additional scenes, but your milleage may vary of course. You could get through pretty fast with the renown items that allow you to skip the skirmishes (you already got the rewards anyway) and just plow through the main stages by keeping the difficulty lower.
Thank you for the quick and elaborate answer!

And yeah, I didn't manage to recruit the character, I jusr retried the battle in my old save file and I again, didn't get any type of prompt to make the battle go differently so I'm kind of confused.

So now I will follow your advice and do NG+ with skipped skirmishes because I feel like I haven't fully played the Scarlet route if I dont do this.
The scraps of dialogue will hopefully be worth it to me. XD

But I will make sure not to make the same mistake when playing the other two routes though!

And yeah, I didn't manage to recruit the character, I jusr retried the battle in my old save file and I again, didn't get any type of prompt to make the battle go differently so I'm kind of confused.

So now I will follow your advice and do NG+ with skipped skirmishes because I feel like I haven't fully played the Scarlet route if I dont do this.

But I will make sure not to make the same mistake when playing the other two routes though!
Yeah doing ng+ speed up everything notable. Also keep in mind that there is one paralogue that is only available if you recruit the important charactter and then in ng+ you fail to get it while having one of the extra characters unlocked.

Did you kill the guy at the beginning every time ? You are supposed to make him surrender, and there is one strategy you need enabled too. Maybe that why you couldn't get the right outcome

Did you kill the guy at the beginning every time ? You are supposed to make him surrender, and there is one strategy you need enabled too. Maybe that why you couldn't get the right outcome
Ahhhh I probably did!! I was just following the missions trying to be as quick as possible!
I probably offed him right away the first time too. 😅😅
Thanks for letting me know, now I know to keep him alive when I reach that chappy again!

After defeating him Hubert was like "hm couldve kept him alive" but I thought it was just a throw away line to make you feel bad LMAO.

Ahhhh I probably did!! I was just following the missions trying to be as quick as possible!
I probably offed him right away the first time too. 😅😅
Thanks for letting me know, now I know to keep him alive when I reach that chappy again!

After defeating him Hubert was like "hm couldve kept him alive" but I thought it was just a throw away line to make you feel bad LMAO.
Yeah, you need to save that character in the bottom of the map and do all the objectives besides defeat Byleth. You also need to trigger a specific tactic. Resonant lightning I think? It costs 30 points; I think you need to get it from one of that chapters skirmishes houses.

Then you need to defeat Alois and Rodrigue really fast before Byleth can reach them; the game does explain what to do at that point. I had some trouble defeating them fast enough, but it probably won't be a problem in new game plus.

I’m kind losing steam at the end of chapter 8 and I think it’s because I’m doing every single side mission and optional quest. Maybe I need to just start doing just the set path for a bit.

Here you go my friend

vXZAMdi.jpg

Hahahaha. I love that you had such a good natured reaction to my obvious joke during an obvious drunk post. You're great. Thumbs up to you, my friend.

Ok, so.............

In this game's narrative fashion -

Chapter 1: Eagle Moon

So I had to do a cross-atlantic international flight there and back since I last posted. With layovers. And delays. Ohhhh the delays.

All told, 37 hours of travel. Ouch. Upside? It let me not only complete Crimson Flower but also complete Azure Gleam.

Needless to say, I have many thoughts. About....a game no one seems to care about anymore but is one of three I've played this year, so bear with me...

So, first of all, this game is fundamentally bad. I know, I know. I've kind of stated that, but let me explain.

The fundamental problem is with the adaptive material. It's trying to make an action game out of a strategy RPG.

Now, as a pretty big fan of Fire Emblem, I have criticisms of Three Houses which I won't elaborate here. Mostly because none of the following really hits that game. The problem with this adaptation is that it tries to bleed over the root game in WAY too close of a fashion without the development resources to do so.

Including, but not limited to - a gigantic cast, a leveling category system, three paths orthodoxy, enemy heterodoxy, and most importantly - REPETITION.

Chapter 2: Rage Mountain

Let's break it down.

1) Gigantic Cast -
Look, by my count there are 3 unique characters in a playthrough of this game, 1 given to the player at start (shez). 1 given to the player by choice/sacrifice (lord), 1 additional granted by convoluted method in-playthrough (hidden guide-based bullshit). Now there may be 3 more if you count the post-game wierdness of "you can't really use them, but technically you can" (renown). And, of course, there are the other 2 Lords if you want to spend another however many hours - But that crams everyone else into the gigantic pool of "avatar."

What a terrible decision by the game designers.

In a stategy RPG it works. Because you have this gigantic base of usable characters at a given moment, the nature of the gameplay allows for flexibility based on this plethora of characters on the field. It's fundamental to the genre.

Here?

I can't imagine what type of person would bother to max out all of these silly avatars. There's just too many.

The problem, of course, is that it only benefits you to concentrate all your efforts on an exceedingly small amount of characters. Your limited resources will stretch thin, and wasting them on 22 units serves no purpose. You are almost forced to focus.

2) Category Leveling System
I get it. It was an reference to the Fire Emblem class-up that seemed somewhat cool. But it doesn't work here. The base classes are useless and fly by in 30 seconds. The intermediate classes are a means to an end. That was a complete waste of game-development resources for this purpose no matter how derivative they are.

More importantly, the final classes are lame in an action sense. I don't need multiple horse classes. They're all essentially the same. Some weird ass animations with a horse doing 360 jumps and damage output that doesn't really seem to be any different? Does anyone really care?

Am I wrong? No, I'm really not.

You can go look at any "Tier List" to see that half of these are pointless.

Look, I get the weapons triangle but even in the core series it's pretty nerfed and here it's no different. Arrows kill flyers. Outside of that, you can probably manage. It doesn't help that "flyers" don't really do anything in this game. None of the "warp points" matter and they don't have any greater mobility than other units. It's basically just an excuse to let your own archers feel cool.

A-rank battalions seem to be better than any other weapon advantage no matter how you slice it. It's just not that big of a deal here, in which case - what are we doing? Seeing different attack animations for destroying things? Then why are they so unsatisfying?

Part of the problem is that they don't want to commit to the differences. Ranged attackers don't mean anything (attack power always trumps range in a game where there are literally enemies all over the place). White Mage/healer is a ridiculously stupid class in an action game where you have constantly replenishing healing items anyways..... I could go on, but let's just sum it up. You aren't really controlling a squadron, you're controlling an action game characters. And an action game character is best at damage output. This ruins most of the SRPG class types and they should have realized that.

I'll jump the gun and point out that the enemies follow the same damn class tree you do. How many times have you seen the brawler, the mortal savant, the pegasus knight? It's forcing you to fight the same enemies over and over and over and over. With the same basic types of your units. Over and over and over and over. It's all the same.

3) Three Paths Orthodoxy

By this point I guarantee that only die-hards are willing to read this far and they're all foaming at the mouth ready to talk about story. Ok. Let me disappoint you.

I don't care about this story because there isn't one.

Try to object. There literally isn't. There is no story here. Nothing matters, nothing sticks, nothing is weighted.

The problem with the Three Houses approach is in overdrive here. All that actually exists is characters in a scenario. Beyond that, we have multiple different versions of what COULD have happened, and then different ways in which what COULD have happened COULD have been different.

Great. Excuse me while I yawn.

Look, I enjoy SRPG gameplay, and the Three Houses approach gave me an excuse to play through multiple times on multiple difficulties with some slight differences. But I'm not going to try to pretend like it was some magnum opus of storytelling, and I'm certainly not going to pretend like fucking around with those stories made them better. Especially with this crap.

The whole thing comes across like Pokemon ULTRA Sun & Moon. Shez/Azral...or whatever his name is.....add less than nothing. In my opinion, they actively make the whole thing kinda dumber. If you felt differently, more power to you. But come on. Don't tell me going to the omega realm, or whatever it was called, made this thing better.

4) Enemy Heterodoxy/REPETITION

Listen, I cheated and touched on this earlier, but every map in this game is essentially the same. Because all of the enemies are the same. And the bases are the same. And the goals are the same. And it's all the same, made more obvious because there are A LOT of the same things.

Going through 1 path with all sidequests was already stretching thin how much actual videogame exists here. Going through 2 with sidequests is a bit painful. I have no idea what 3 would be like, and I feel for anyone that tries.

There are almost no unique bosses, there are almost no unique attacks.

By the end of your first playthrough, you should be recognizing everything that happens. The "strategies" and "fire floors" and whatnot don't matter. It's all just the same thing over and over and over.

Now, I'll admit it - the rhythm of grinding, for those that like grindy video games, can get in your head. It did in mine. "Just how badly can I absolutely obliterate everything in front of me if I up this stat?" Well, the answer is ridiculously so. Yes, I know that world.

But by the time you wrap around with a fully-stocked homebase, know the enemy patterns for perfect guards, know how to maximize gains, and start to unlock sacred weapons and class skills? "Maddening" difficulty falls like a house of cards.

Is that something to be proud of? I mean.............

Chapter 3 Glory Hill

Ok, so Catherine. When I rounded the corner to Azure Gleam, I was S-ranking every map, collecting every reward, stacked about 1M in cash, saving all of the power-up items, and I blew it all on that unit.

I'm not going to lie. It was pretty damn satisfying blowing past everything in the game with a ridiculously overpowered stacked-up character of my choosing. But that shouldn't have been the case. This game could do better than giving me that moment.

Here's my suggestions that could have made this game immensely better.

1) Focus on 1 path.

Ok, you're in charge of this game. You have an incredibly small financial development budget (I'm assuming) and can only make Shez and the lords unique. Damn that sucks. More, you're stuck with the fact that you have to fan service in all the house members. You have 4 simultaneous playable characters.

These are some limitations. Don't make them worse.

Make it so people can maximize in one path. I have a tough time believing that even .001% of people actually play all three paths in this game. That's wasted effort. New Game+ resets almost everyone you have, with only SOME of the units carrying over, and MOST of the units not unique beyond supports and appearance. Poor incentive.

More importantly, you could offer something unique. A path where the lords all unite against Those That Slither in the Who Cares and do something that people would be interested in more than beating Arliss or whatever. Give an excuse to bring all these extra characters in, give an excuse for people to want to power-level, and give an excuse for the extended nature of any route.

Make it an event that doesn't read like a "if we did a director's cut of three houses....."

2) Forget the level-up tree

Just make fun-to-use classes. No one cares about the path to it. Everyone just wants to blow shit up with fantasy characters. Forget white mages and have the Gremory actually do something cool.

Use the battalions in some way to make it actually feel like a group attack.

Do some crazy thing that would make this more exciting. Do something............like...............

3) Do more ridiculous shit

Age Of Calamity was great because it let you play with a bunch of idiots you couldn't touch in the main game. But it was also great because the attacks felt crazy. For some reason, this game doesn't even give you the ones they have in the base game, and then they don't do much of anything they didn't do before.

I mean, I was shocked when I realized how few of the special characters are here. Just an example - they have a Gilbert model in this game. Gilbert was playable in Three Houses. And pretty damn well loved. But..........not here? Why? That's only one example.

Sure, they gave us Rodrigue and Monica and..........Holst? Wait, let me check that for accuracy..................yeah. "Holst." ok.

But actually what would anyone who played the base game care about. These? As generic class-based avatars? Really?

You don't think they'd be asking if they can blow shit up with Rhea? Well............ok..............you know. I mean, I don't wanna use tags or whatever.

Look, it's either gotta be something I can't do in the base game or it's just.....

4) Just make Three Houses Definitive Edition if this is what you focused on........

Tell me for real that it wouldn't have made more sense. Add in all this story effort and lore to that thing and use the dev time to make killer attacks or whatever. Damn, it would have been better.

Chapter 4: Is this too long?

So, I had to check. I'm not crazy. Now I actually saw things saying that Fire Emblem Three Hopes: Anvil Edition was the best Warriors game ever, and I can't imagine what they are smoking. After completing these two routes, I went and fired up Age Of Calamity again.

Just to see if I was crazy.

Was I crazy?

No. I was not. The variety in that game between playable characters is immensely stronger. There are quite a few different unique enemy types. The graphics are stronger. The environments are WAY better. The gameplay mechanics are better. Literally everything about that game is way stronger.

Maybe you have an intense love for Sylvain, and find him to be the superior red-haired horse-rider of Fire Emblem lore or whatever, but this GAME is severely lacking.

Try it yourself. I challenge anyone to actually tell me this game is better from a game point of view.

With that, I'm out.

Friday comes Xenoblade 3, and damn I'm hoping it fills in better than this thing. Because I don't have another international trip. And I don't have another Catherine.

Cheers all.

The problem with the Three Houses approach is in overdrive here. All that actually exists is characters in a scenario. Beyond that, we have multiple different versions of what COULD have happened, and then different ways in which what COULD have happened COULD have been different.

Great. Excuse me while I yawn.
Couldn’t disagree more, I think one of Three Houses’ unique strengths is that every branch is an alternate timeline with different events and even characters behaving differently. I don’t care that there isn’t a “definitive” path or canon route, the alternate scenarios allow the characters to be explored in a way the writers wouldn’t be able to with a linear story.

Ok, finally getting back to this as a pace breaker between Cyberslueth and XBC3(even tho it means pushing the latter back a few days). Last thing that happened was I was Edelgard route and I unlocked Lysethia. I have a number of missions I haven’t S-Ranked so I thought I’d go back and grind a few so I have what I need to make her broken. I haven’t kept close attention to the stat elements, what’s the best way to build her?

As I learned last night, yes that is correct.

Really a fantastic Musou.
But wow it just...ends. I did the Scarlet Blaze route and towards chapter 13, things just started happening. Then the next chapter, Byleth just...dies in some weird smokey explosion. Then the next chapter has you fighting both Rhea and Thales for some reason. They're just right next to each other. Shez never finds out the source of their dark powers. Claude & Dimitri aren't killed, they just lose and retreat. The rest of the war plays out over a text crawl. Very strange, though I did love the run to the cathedral for the final boss battle against Rhea. Felt surprisingly epic for a Musou.

Last edited:
Ok, finally getting back to this as a pace breaker between Cyberslueth and XBC3(even tho it means pushing the latter back a few days). Last thing that happened was I was Edelgard route and I unlocked Lysethia. I have a number of missions I haven’t S-Ranked so I thought I’d go back and grind a few so I have what I need to make her broken. I haven’t kept close attention to the stat elements, what’s the best way to build her?
Mortal Savant makes her a killing machine. Lysithea has one of the best magic growths in the game and any weapon with witstrike or the other one that changes str / mag stat makes her one of the best damaging units, plus mortal savant can still use magic AND using the class skill add magic attacks at the end of the combo AND you add the damage of her character class action (the dark explosion). PLus she has access to luna wich means more damage. She will be a glass canon though so you will want to throw some items to improve her defense

Mortal Savant makes her a killing machine. Lysithea has one of the best magic growths in the game and any weapon with witstrike or the other one that changes str / mag stat makes her one of the best damaging units, plus mortal savant can still use magic AND using the class skill add magic attacks at the end of the combo AND you add the damage of her character class action (the dark explosion). PLus she has access to luna wich means more damage. She will be a glass canon though so you will want to throw some items to improve her defense
So level up in magic classes then swap over to sword classes?

So level up in magic classes then swap over to sword classes?
yeah, at level 53 I was already at 96 magic with bonus stats from items (I used 3 I think), but without any items she should still be easily over 65 mag

Just fiinished Scarlet Blaze, definitely felt a much more comprehensive and cohesive route compared to Golden Wildfire, and also felt somewhat like an attempt to rehabilitate Edelgard (still a bit too 'are we the bad guys' for my taste mind).

Definitely reaffirming my view that this is the strongest Nintendo Musou yet mind. Time to give the game a rest for Xenoblade before returning to see what the Blue Lions get up to this time

Couldn’t disagree more, I think one of Three Houses’ unique strengths is that every branch is an alternate timeline with different events and even characters behaving differently. I don’t care that there isn’t a “definitive” path or canon route, the alternate scenarios allow the characters to be explored in a way the writers wouldn’t be able to with a linear story.
I'm genuinely glad you enjoyed it. I feel obligated to point out that you didn't disagree with me, you just enjoy that type of storytelling.

As I said, it isn't a story. It's characters in a scenario, and you seem to agree. "Characters, scenario, then infinite fictions based on it" is your jam? Then I'm happy this exists for you.

I just wish everyone would be honest about what this game's appeal is - it's that. Am I wrong?

That's not a genuine dismissal, that's an honest appraisal imo.

I'm the type of person that wants a point to a story. Especially one that takes this long, returns you to it, then takes this long again. You might, if you can empathize, understand why I got a bit....frustrated....

Cheers.

I'm genuinely glad you enjoyed it. I feel obligated to point out that you didn't disagree with me, you just enjoy that type of storytelling.

As I said, it isn't a story. It's characters in a scenario, and you seem to agree. "Characters, scenario, then infinite fictions based on it" is your jam? Then I'm happy this exists for you.

I just wish everyone would be honest about what this game's appeal is - it's that. Am I wrong?

That's not a genuine dismissal, that's an honest appraisal imo.

I'm the type of person that wants a point to a story. Especially one that takes this long, returns you to it, then takes this long again. You might, if you can empathize, understand why I got a bit....frustrated....

Cheers.
I do understand, but you position that as a "problem" when it's not, it's just something you didn't like.

(Warning: Handheld only ramble incoming, haha)

I picked this up again -- and I just can't get over how disappointing this is from a technical point of view. The aliasing, the flickering shadows, but most of all the horrible unlocked framerate fundamentally take away from any enjoyment I could have had with this one. I loved, loved FEW (1) on Switch, but this is a big letdown thus far. Heck, I loved Three Houses, which suffers from some similar issues in its presentation and technical groundwork (but at least is locked to 30 fps). But due to the different nature of the games, I can't as easily overlook the flaws in this case.
In sum, I think this game does not only look rougher than it should/I'd like it to, but it also feels way worse than I'd hoped for, especially coming from FEW (1) on Switch, but other recent musous as well. And I think the second point ultimately is the fatal one for me. I mean, it's not like we didn't have to put up with other rough looking titles on the platform already (cough Ys IX cough), and I still got a lot of enjoyment out of those. But if it looks janky and feels just as janky (or even worse), then that's sadly where I draw the line and will have to say that this product simply isn't good enough in my eyes. As a fan of the first one and FE in general, I'm simply disappointed, and I seriously hope the next musou spin-off fares better, whatever it may be.

To end on a positive note, I liked what I played so far in terms of sheer plot, character and world building. It's good to be back with the Three Houses crew, and I felt right at home again.

Well, I’m finally on the final chapter of the Scarlet Blaze(save) route… I did the camp stuff and called it quits for today and I’ll wrap up tomorrow tho. Now who to give my merc whistle to… leaning Bernadetta or Monica

Well finished it off, setting up my next route real quick… Deers or Lions… leaning deers even tho I don’t care for Claude much.

Back
Top Bottom